• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones' George RR Martin confirms 'different direction' for end of book series

DKehoe

What.

If the last two seasons meant anything, it meant that these guys lived and died by the book and it sure as hell would of fallen apart from Day 1 if they just "did their own thing" instead of having one of the most well thought out book lore in the world to work off.

And these fucks couldnt even properly invest their time and energy on building ontop of the world, just went "cool, books are done. Sooo, let's just speed this up and get to Star Wars."
There were elements throughout it that weren't taken from the books that I liked. Off the top of my head, I liked the stuff with Arya and Tywin at Harrenhal.

It seems like they felt locked into doing things (like Bran becoming king) that they weren't that interested in but did anyway. So the delivery felt flat because they didn't build it up right. I think it could have been better if they went with an end state that interested them rather than a version of the one Martin is going to use.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Zero hype from me. As bad as D&D were, I'm confident that at least part of the season 8 disaster happened because Martin has no idea how to properly finish the story either.
The problem they had was that they had so many plot lines and character arcs and not enough time to resolve them properly. Martin has 10 times the number of plot lines and character arcs to wrap up.
Hell in the books Catelyn Stark is still 'alive'.

I would be more hyped if they announced a reshoot (or additional episodes) to fill in season 7 / 8. The ending wouldn't have been so bad if there was more meat to the story. It was too rushed.

As for the books, that Amstrad 1512 ain't getting any action and we know it.

There were elements throughout it that weren't taken from the books that I liked. Off the top of my head, I liked the stuff with Arya and Tywin at Harrenhal.

It seems like they felt locked into doing things (like Bran becoming king) that they weren't that interested in but did anyway. So the delivery felt flat because they didn't build it up right. I think it could have been better if they went with an end state that interested them rather than a version of the one Martin is going to use.
Ah, okay. I completely understand your stance now.

If we're talking how they should have been inspired by George's guideline and re-incorporate it into this world they built on for the show and finding an ending that fits their version of the world, then yes, I agree.

But, again, you must remember - those two asshats had all the time in the world to work their way to a satisfying season finale, but they rejected it time and time again because they were rushing towards a proposed Star Wars project.

HBO offered them many times on wanting to continue the series over more seasons, but those two wouldn't let their ego take a rest and wouldn't let anyone touch the show in regards to writing and showrunning.

I think if we're talking about D&D that is serious, patient, and as enthusiastic over the series as they were since day 1, and a lead up towards a season finale that spans 3 more seasons - I can wholeheartedly agree with you.

Bit hard when faced with the reality of how they turned out.

Ionian

He had already written 2 shit books before the show.

- A Feast for Crows, random chapter titles with few main characters and a load of walking about aimlessly.
- A Dance of Dragons, some good parts but Dany having diarrhea and then suddenly her womb quicking when near death from starvation.

Then Dothraki to find her again and Drogon to munch on them.

Dany is going to get pregnant, either keep or lose the child. Hopefully with more solidified turds.

That was the ending of his last book if you don't count the brilliant Reek bonus chapter. His last books were hardly masterpieces and nothing on the first 3.

DKehoe

He had already written 2 shit books before the show.

- A Feast for Crows, random chapter titles with few main characters and a load of walking about aimlessly.
- A Dance of Dragons, some good parts but Dany having diarrhea and then suddenly her womb quicking when near death from starvation.

Then Dothraki to find her again and Drogon to munch on them.

Dany is going to get pregnant, either keep or lose the child. Hopefully with more solidified turds.

That was the ending of his last book if you don't count the brilliant Reek bonus chapter. His last books were hardly masterpieces and nothing on the first 3.
That last Dany chapter is so good. It's the (self-assumed) messiah figure out in the wilderness having visions about her destiny. Her story in that book has been about her trying to rule peacefully and she's now beginning to realise she wants to reject that in favour of fire and blood. It's among my favourite chapters in the series.

Ionian

That last Dany chapter is so good. It's the (self-assumed) messiah figure out in the wilderness having visions about her destiny. Her story in that book has been about her trying to rule peacefully and she's now beginning to realise she wants to reject that in favour of fire and blood. It's among my favourite chapters in the series.

I honestly enjoyed it too, felt like something was finally going to happen.

Could have done without the shitting though but each to their own. She shat too many times for my liking!

EDIT: only posted for the non-book readers really.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I honestly enjoyed it too, felt like something was finally going to happen.

Could have done without the shitting though but each to their own. She shat too many times for my liking!

EDIT: only posted for the non-book readers really.
I know a bunch of people have speculated she was having a miscarriage.

What your saying is the series should still be running instead of the 7 episode botch job of the final season. We should have got an entire season of desperate fight to stop the Night King reaching Kings Landing instead of one episode.

chris farley yes GIF

Xenon

Now that George is suckling the Hollywood teat, i fear that even if we get the final books the man has already been corrupted. His motivations have become as twisted as his characters.

Xenon

Chill bro I don't think it's that deep

If you consider the fact that a writer who is known for writing characters that don't comply to the usual conventions is now mingling with people who hire consultants to proof read their characters to make sure nobody will be offended, it kinda really is.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Grease dribbles down GRRM's chin as he doesn't write anymore and laughs as he doesn't and hasn't intended to for years now. Also a teenaged girls breasts or some shit

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
And you think the GRRM version of those destinations are going to be even remotely similar to the ones on the show?

The Bran chapters in the books are already quite ominous and dark.
Which part of 'different journey same destination' are you not understanding? It will be similar to the show in as much as Bran will end up on the throne and Dany will end up as a villain in the end, but the story getting us there is going to be a lot more interesting.

Jon Neu

Banned
Which part of 'different journey same destination' are you not understanding? It will be similar to the show in as much as Bran will end up on the throne and Dany will end up as a villain in the end, but the story getting us there is going to be a lot more interesting.

Everything will be so different not even the destination it’s going to be the same.

Bran being king in the books it’s going to be extremely different than the show, not only the journey, but the very fact of being king and the implications too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If his final books ever get released, I'll certainly read them, but I've long given up caring. I started reading in 2009 (much later than many) and loved the books, then the show kicked off and I was probably most hyped during Season 3. After that it's really been downhill and the way the show ended and how GRRM has failed to deliver anything or show that even cares for over a decade has basically expelled the IP from my mind for the most part.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don’t think the tv series did enough justice for Grey Worm. Instead of making him
just the final boss, which he essentially was
we obviously need way more out of his character. He kills the Night King with a fork. Kills Drogon with a spear. And then gets HPV and throat cancer for going down on Missandei and dies, and then the final scene in the books is a grey colored worm protruding from the soil way up north.

And we find out Azor Ahai wasn't Jon, it was Grey Worm. And he will be reborn again, this time as an actual worm.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I have no doubt that the shows ending is exactly what was originally planned for the book (though less rushed)

There was never gonna be a happy ending to the series.

Top Bottom