• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones: HBO confirms season 8 will be last

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prequel season about Robert's Rebellion and a movie trilogy about Aegon conquered Westeros.

It is known.

One of the things I admired about GoT so far is that we never see these events, just hear recollections and historical narrative, and even then you get the feeling that a lot of what we're getting is unreliable or romanticized.

Hearing the way characters speak of these events instantly adds so much to their personalities. I love hearing random-ass nobodies giving shit to Jaimie for killing the Mad King, which was a really intimate moment, like the fine details are a matter of public record.

NYR

The dragon is finally slain. That show went down the shitter so fast.
The fuck you talking about, ratings, reviews and buzz have only gone up.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-19-at-10.39.36-AM.png

Bulletzen72

HBO should adapt The Witcher series, although it would probably be a good bit more costly what with the SFX for the various beasties!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
BUT WHAT ABOUT TRUE DETECTIVE

“It’s not dead,” HBO head of programming Casey Bloys said at TCA Saturday. “We are hoping for a third season. It’s a very valuable franchise for us.”

Pizzolatto, who is under an overall deal at HBO, has been working on other things, Bloys said. A third season will likely have somebody else writing, with Pizzolatto supervising, he said.

via Deadline

"Bloys said the exact number of season eight episodes is not yet final. "

Good, please don't make the last season be only 6 episodes...

Considering when the book series is done it will have seven total books, any episodes in season 8 should be considered bonus. Prior to that, each book roughly equaled a season, which was ten episodes. Following that logic, the show would end after season 7.

Of course, things have only gotten more complicated plot wise, so 10 episodes per book has gotten tougher. But still, it's a good way to look at how much we'll actually get in season 8.

And those saying "good luck" to HBO have to know that the source material is going to dry up at some point. They have to move on and look for new options.

cyba89

The fuck you talking about, ratings, reviews and buzz have only gone up.

But maybe not his personal opinion of the show. You know, this thing outside of the imdb/rottentomatos/metacritic/buzzfeed-sphere that is different for everyone. Some people still have that personal opinion.

kswiston

I'd just cull it at season 7, a strong season 7. Season 6 wasn't what I hoped.

Maybe it's because I read the books, but to me, Season 6 was much better than Season 5. I didn't find myself worrying about what was changed/butchered as much and just enjoyed the story being presented. The various pay-offs in episodes 9 and 10 definitely didn't hurt.

From HBO's perspective, having a show that has continued to grow in popularity each season for 6 seasons now is extremely impressive. Even The Sopranos hit its average ratings high in Season 4 I believe. Season 4 was also True Blood's peak.

Financially, there's no reason why they wouldn't stretch things out another year.

Randomizer

Hmm I should see about becoming an extra before they end filming. They film it here in my city. Would be a nice farewell to be part of the show in even a small way.

NYR

But maybe not his personal opinion of the show. You know, this thing outside of the imdb/rottentomatos/metacritic/buzzfeed-sphere that is different for everyone. Some people still have that personal opinion.

Personal opinion is fine but he did not say it was opinion, he claimed the quality of the show has gone down and added no facts, justification or proof. Consensus is the show has not done that.

Henkka

Banned
CG dragons take time.

I assume you hated this season and the last several seasons? Because episode 10 was just a dozen satisfying payoffs, one after another, for things that have been cooking for years.

Hate is a strong word... I dislike seasons 5 and 6. Episode 10, imo, was a bunch of cool moments that in hindsight felt unearned and made very little sense.

Will the shorter season have the same budget? Or are shows budgeted on a per episode basis?
I think they're per episode basis but I'd imagine having shorter seasons with the same seasonal budget will allow them to do a lot more. Especially with what's coming.

Dai101

Banned
Looking forward to buying the entire series.

Recently re-read all the books and GRRM could make a fortune selling the rights to some of the wars prior to the book stuff. Aegon's conquest as an anime would be amazing. If I ran Netflix I'd be doing my damnedest to make that happen.

giphy.gif

120v

Will the shorter season have the same budget? Or are shows budgeted on a per episode basis?

i saw in an interview with kit harrington that the entire "budget" is spent on the elaborate battle scenes. they just bite the rest and make it back through dvd/blu ray/merchandising

kind of moot though because its GoT and HBO will throw however much money it needs at this point

kswiston

I think they're per episode basis but I'd imagine having shorter seasons with the same seasonal budget will allow them to do a lot more. Especially with what's coming.

There's no way the budget is strictly per episode in a show where one episode is an SFX fest like Battle of the Bastards, and another is basically people sitting around and talking for 55 minutes. Actors are paid per episode, but I think the budgeting is done per season.

EDIT: That said, the budget has gone way up. Season 6 was quoted to cost $100M. Season 1 had budget that was a bit over $50M IIRC

Kinyou

I hope the finale doesn't feel too rushed. While the previous seasons spend so much time treating water I felt like some of the stuff in this season happened almost too fast.

But maybe less episodes also allows them a bigger budget for each episode

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The Wire wasn't anything special from a financial/ratings viewpoint.

Yea you are right about that. I wonder what kind of production deals HBO has in place besides the one I know about with Jon Stewart.

Point is from everything I heard they are great to work with so I'm sure they have stacks and stacks of scripts waiting for a green-light.

NYR

Give me a two season Roberts Rebellion spin off. I want to see this in life action.

Four seasons, bruh. GoT covers Year 297 After the Conquest to Year 300ish After the Conquest.

S01 - Year 273 After the Conquest to Year 281 After the Conquest
Mostly covers 280 and 281, but has flashbacks like Tyrone Lannister's birth. Focus of season is on Tourney at Harrenhal and Kidnapping of Lyanna, death of the Mad King at the hands of Jamie.

S02, S03 - Year 282 After the Conquest to Year 283 After the Conquest
The Rebellion.

S02 is the set-up and politics highlighted by the death of Elia Martel by The Mountain.

S03 is the actual battling and fights between Robert and Rhaegar.

S04 - Year 284 After the Conquest to Year 286 After the Conquest
Tower Of Joy, and King Robert's ascension with the end of the series being Joffery's birth.

They'll do fine. I'm sure people said the same when The Wire ended or Sopranos.

Oh hey maybe they can resurrect deadwood!

already in progress, though it's not 100% certain yet

Programming president Casey Bloys noted that Deadwood creator David Milch is “writing the script,” adding, “We haven’t read it yet. I imagine it will be very good. I feel good about it… But I can’t tell you that [it’s happening] for sure.”

There's no way the budget is strictly per episode in a show where one episode is an SFX fest like Battle of the Bastards, and another is basically people sitting around and talking for 55 minutes. Actors are paid per episode, but I think the budgeting is done per season.

EDIT: That said, the budget has gone way up. Season 6 was quoted to cost $100M. Season 1 had budget that was a bit over $50M IIRC
I think we have the same idea on how the money is moved around i just got a bit confused.

120v

I hope the finale doesn't feel too rushed. While the previous seasons spend so much time treating water I felt like some of the stuff in this season happened almost too fast.

But maybe less episodes also allows them a bigger budget for each episode

last season did feel rushed. but seems to me most of the major story arcs are about wrapped up, so having 14 episodes to close it off should be more than enough imo

Four seasons, bruh. GoT covers Year 297 After the Conquest to Year 300ish After the Conquest.

S01 - Year 273 After the Conquest to Year 281 After the Conquest
Mostly covers 280 and 281, but has flashbacks like Tyrone Lannister's birth. Focus of season is on Tourney at Harrenhal and Kidnapping of Lyanna, death of the Mad King at the hands of Jamie.

S02, S03 - Year 282 After the Conquest to Year 283 After the Conquest
The Rebellion.

S02 is the set-up and politics highlighted by the death of Elia Martel by The Mountain.

S03 is the actual battling and fights between Robert and Rhaegar.

S04 - Year 284 After the Conquest to Year 286 After the Conquest
Tower Of Joy, and King Robert's ascension with the end of the series being Joffery's birth.

I'd be happy with all of this.

kmfdmpig

The Wire wasn't anything special from a financial/ratings viewpoint.

I wonder if the way HBO thinks about shows will change as they focus more on selling HBO Go/ HBO Now. Developing a catalog of acclaimed shows, even if they're not ratings hits will help them get and keep long time subscribers. If they want to be the third player behind Netflix and Amazon Prime for streaming video then shows like The Wire, even though it was always on the cusp of cancellation during its run, can be quite useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom