• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

groansey

GoT story is actually very traditional since Season 5 or so. There weren't so many totally shocking or unexpected things since Oberyns death three seasons ago.

I kind of agree with this. Season five had the scene in the colloseum with Dany, which I thought was going to be an "oh shit!" moment where the crowd all donned Harpy masks. But they didn't kill any major characters as a result, and then despite the mild inconvenience of his death, Jon Snow has had a pretty consistent run of wins. The battles have been great and Hodor was a strong twist, but I'd like to see the show confound expectation like it used to... I'd like Littlefinger to outsmart Sansa, disrupting her character arc, and I want Jon Snow to fall to the Night King going into S8. Arya should be the last remaining Stark child, and they missed a trick not having the faceless men on the hunt for her after she fled Bravos.

Still... over a season's worth of screentime to go.

bigJP

I kind of agree with this. Season five had the scene in the colloseum with Dany, which I thought was going to be an "oh shit!" moment where the crowd all donned Harpy masks. But they didn't kill any major characters as a result, and then despite the mild inconvenience of his death, Jon Snow has had a pretty consistent run. The battles have been great and Hodor was a strong twist, but I'd like to see the show confound expectation like it used to... I'd like Littlefinger to outsmart Sansa, disrupting her character arc, and I want Jon Snow to fall to the Night King going into S8. Arya should be the last remaining Stark child, and they missed a trick not having the faceless men on the hunt for her after she fled Bravos.

Still... over a season's worth of screentime to go.

You would think killing barristan here would have made more sense

Nameless

2241f8933169db7cfa1989a6a4c3145203787a7a_hq.gif

FiggyCal

Banned
The old Khaleesi lady in the first season stated that Dany's child will be the stallion that mounts the world. What if like Mel's prophecies, old Khaleesi got the vision/prophecy wrong, and it wasn't that child that was the one destined to accomplish that? Dany states to Daario at the end of the last season, that she needs to make herself available for marriage to secure alliances. She can't marry Jorah to do that, so that leaves Jon as the only viable marriage option. Six seasons worth of plot lines, and I need to see this come to fruition.

I thought she couldn't have children again after what happened in the tent. Like that prophecy was thwarted by the witch. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I thought she couldn't have children again after what happened in the tent. Like that prophecy was thwarted by the witch. Maybe I'm misremembering though.
When did that happened? The only thing I remember is the witch telling her when Drogo would get better. Maybe I'm misremembering :/

nubbe

Is it from the books? I never read it that far, but it's possible I picked it up from someone else. If it is, that's my mistake. Alternatively, it could just be a thing I made up myself and I imagined it came from somewhere else.

Dany tells Jorah she'll never have children again in the show

Kolx

If you are watching the show with the anticipation that something unexpected is going to happen any minute, then wouldn't a traditional ending be a surprise?

I'd have said that before now, but now I really don't expect anything unexpected to happen. There is like 99% chance the show is going to end like most people imagine it. Dany and jon snow winning against the white walkers and then westeros living in peace ever after.

nubbe

I'd have said that before now, but know I really don't expect anything unexpected to happen. There is like 99% chance the show is going to end like most people imagine it. Dany and jon snow winning against the white walkers and then westeros living in piece ever after.

The white walkers need to be take out, root and stem
Jon and Dany will make sure they never return and everyone will die in the process

SMtU73p.gif

Kolx

Jon Snow murdered.
The stark boy killed by Ramsay instead of being saved.
Hodor dying.
and this season Dany losing the first two battles after looking so strong at the end of season 6.

The good guys have not had it all their way, which would be the traditional story telling.
Jon died only to come back which everyone expected. The Stark boy getting killed wasn't shocking by any meaning. Him getting out alive from Ramsey would've been shocking.
Dany losing battle was to level the playing field so it becomes more exciting and more importantly getting rid of all the big political players so the show can completely focus on the white walkers after Dany wins this war with jon. Hodor was the only shocking thing but even then I'd say it was more of a sad thing than a shocking one.

Anarion07

Every single one?

They're giving her lines an adult would say.

It's like a sitcom where the writers give the kids funny lines that they don't really understand and just read off verbatim.

Its almost like she had to grow up early because her mother was killed at the red wedding and she Now has bear island to Reign over

Carcetti

Jon Snow murdered.
The stark boy killed by Ramsay instead of being saved.
Hodor dying.
and this season Dany losing the first two battles after looking so strong at the end of season 6.

The good guys have not had it all their way, which would be the traditional story telling.

Jnow Snow only died so he could come back as Winter Jesus
Hodor was a surprise, granted
Rickon was a nobody
Dany is just losing so it's more dramatic when she wins in season ending big battle.

Window

There's so much discussion about Jamie killing Cersei and the Night King resurrecting a dragon in this thread (and previous seasons') but as far as I know none of this has been even hinted at all in the show. I don't get it.

There's so much discussion about Jamie killing Cersie and the Night King resurrecting a dragon in this thread (and previous seasons') but as far as I know none of this has been even hinted at all in the show. I don't get it.

It annoys me, too. Especially a word/event that has been thrown around in here that started last season. I won't say what it is, but people have been using it quite often.

Jon died only to come back which everyone expected. The Stark boy getting killed wasn't shocking by any meaning. Him getting out alive from Ramsey would've been shocking.
Dany losing battle was to level the playing field so it becomes more exciting and more importantly getting rid of all the big political players so the show can completely focus on the white walkers after Dany wins this war with jon. Hodor was the only shocking thing but even then I'd say it was more of a sad thing than a shocking one.
I knew Jon was coming back because someone spoiled it for me but otherwise I don't know how I was supposed to expect him to be coming bak. And even if Rickon wasn't that much of a major character it's still another innocent loss that had a profound effect on the major characters still alive.

Vashetti

Banned
I knew Jon was coming back because someone spoiled it for me but otherwise I don't know how I was supposed to expect him to be coming bak. And even if Rickon wasn't that much of a major character it's still another innocent loss that had a profound effect on the major characters still alive.

It was obvious.

It wouldn't have served a narrative purpose to kill him off and him to stay dead.

It was telegraphed at Hardhome when the Night King looked at Jon that he had an endgame role to play. Killing him permanently two episodes later would have been appalling storytelling.

FiggyCal

Banned
I don't know if I would've seen Jon coming back being a thing if it wasn't spoiled for me. There was a leaked cast list everyone was talking about, but aside from that I wouldn't have known.

They set up the "who is Jon's mother " question multiple times in season 1, how could you think he wasn't coming back before that was resolved?

Vashetti

Banned
They set up the "who is Jon's mother " question multiple times in season 1, how could you think he wasn't coming back before that was resolved?

Yup, Jon and Dany have always been endgame material. They have never once been in danger on screen.

You don't kill off every character to serve the "nobody is safe! XD" crowd. It's not satisfying storytelling.

It was obvious.

It wouldn't have served a narrative purpose to kill him off and him to stay dead.

It was telegraphed at Hardhome when the Night King looked at Jon that he had an endgame role to play. Killing him permanently two episodes later would have been appalling storytelling.
It wasn't that obvious to me. The red wedding's narrative purpose was just to subvert expectations and let the bad guys win, GRRM has said as much.
I was someone who didn't get it the whole time; the whole time pretty much I was fooled and did indeed believe Jon Snow was Ned Stark's bastard.

FiggyCal

Banned
Yup, Jon and Dany have always been endgame material. They have never once been in danger on screen.

You don't kill off every character to serve the "nobody is safe! XD" crowd. It's not satisfying storytelling.

At that point, it had been almost 2 full seasons with nothing like that happening.

Vashetti

Banned
Yeah...jon never in any danger at all.

<_<

By danger I mean, I have never once questioned Jon's chance of getting out alive. Always knew he would survive any hardship because he's endgame material.

The top-five billing actors on the show

Peter (Tyrion)
Lena (Cersei)
Nikolaj (Jaime)
Kit (Jon)
Emilia (Dany)

All endgame material and easily make it out this season alive, book it.

It wasn't that obvious to me. The red wedding's narrative purpose was just to subvert expectations and let the bad guys win, GRRM has said as much.
I was someone who didn't get it the whole time; the whole time pretty much I was fooled and did indeed believe Jon Snow was Ned Stark's bastard.

That has nothing to do with his mother. They made a point of letting us know Jon's mother was a big plot point throughout the series, even if he was Neds bastard they brought it up so much his mother was something that had to be resolved.

That has nothing to do with his mother. They made a point of letting us know Jon's mother was a big plot point throughout the series, even if he was Neds bastard they brought it up so much his mother was something that had to be resolved.
But I never thought that his mother would be Lyanna Stark. I didn't get the hints/clues so I never really thought passed him being the bastard of Winterfell.

But I never thought that his mother would be Lyanna Stark. I didn't get the hints/clues so I never really thought passed him being the bastard of Winterfell.

It wouldnt matter if it was her or not. You dont set up that question over multiple scenes in multiple seasons and resolve it after the character is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom