• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jombie

If they don't have relevance to the story at this point, then I really don't care about side characters. The only reason Bronn exists at this point is to throw out one liners and because Jamie has one hand.

Nameless

The biggest problem with season 5 is not the bad writing of the Dorne plot, but how depressing everything is.

I can't even recall anything good that happened in season 5. To anyone.

The Season 5 Finale is easily my least favorite episode in the series:

-Arya is blinded
-Jon is betrayed and murdered
-Cersei is shamed
-Stannis is abandoned, defeated, and killed
-Melisandre is proven wrong

It's an hour plus of my most beloved characters getting fucked and fucked over left & right. I've only rewatched it once.

I think Dany's first order should be murdering a few Dothraki khals for letting a man nearly ride her down.

This is something that bugged me about how the battle was depicted. There are supposed to be (big assumption, and I doubt she took the entire army) at least 10,000 Dothraki there, yet we only see a dozen or so riding around past the (broken) shield wall. If anything, this battle showed how utterly useless the Dothraki are against shields. Without Drogon, pretty sure the Lannister army would have cleaned up.

This is something that bugged me about how the battle was depicted. There are supposed to be (big assumption, and I doubt she took the entire army) at least 10,000 Dothraki there, yet we only see a dozen or so riding around past the (broken) shield wall. If anything, this battle showed how utterly useless the Dothraki are against shields. Without Drogon, pretty sure the Lannister army would have cleaned up.

The lannisters shouldn't have had a chance against the dothraki if the show followed the lore videos on YouTube.

Also, off topic, but I just found out my auto correct changes dothraki to foreskin, haha

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I think it's obvious that at the very least he killed the original three-eyed raven and forced a new man into mind slavery.
The old one was too on the nose for him.

He didn't have to kill that little girl and replace her with an adult plant, though.

Jombie

I imagine any army would have a hard time against a line of shields and pikes. But it's TV, and if it were a real battle then all the Dothraki would have to have done was hit their flanks and go around.

Speevy

Banned
I imagine that given a properly staged battle with an equal number of Lannisters and Dothraki, complete with heavy cavalry, the better armored Lannisters would have a better chance.

I think the show was trying to show that in hand-to-hand combat, the Dothraki were better and they possess a bunch of horse-specific skills unavailable to the Westerosi counterparts.

(such as standing on top of the horse and shooting arrows, jumping from horse to horse, and that slick slide the one guy did to Bronn's horse)

Of course, Ramsay could have probably killed the entire Dothraki horde with his arrow volley fetish.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shield wall stands no chance against steppe tactics, especially spread so thing and guarding a train. They were fucked either way.

Drogon just minimized Dany's casualties.

FStubbs

I imagine any army would have a hard time against a line of shields and pikes. But it's TV, and if it were a real battle then all the Dothraki would have to have done was hit their flanks and go around.

Plus I imagine they knew the dragon would break the center of the line so they could rush through and wouldn't normally try that.

This shot was so cool. It's like every romantic painting of Agincourt.

36667620170807113536.jpg

Speely

Banned
Who do you think Arya's next kill will be? Put your bets in. Littlefinger seems obv, but I'ma go with Sandor.

Edit: Which will suck, but it's exactly the shade of grey the story is known for.

Speevy

Banned
I'd like to see a free-for-all battle with all human living armies battling at full force.

Robb's full northern army pre-betrayal, all the Lannisters, Tyrells non-weakling edition, Mance's full wildling army, Dany with dragons, unsulllied, and dothraki, the knights of the Vale, etc.

Just everyone out for themselves until the last army is defeated. No whitewalkers or undead army allowed.

Which beloved Stark kid will Littlefinger kill off first? Place your bets.

It's coming.

That would be quite a twist, but I'm betting the writers go for the layup and the Stark kids combine their powers to finally foil LF.

Bran tells them what LF has done, Sansa as the acting ruler of Winterfell and with the power of justice has him arrested and tried (maybe Bran tells them of some evidence they can demonstrate to the people or maybe Sansa can just say he's done it. Hey, it's feudalism), and Arya being the killer uses that dagger to carry out the sentence.

Ferrio

Banned
I'd love to see Arya and the hound meet again just so they can see how much each other has changed. The whole "armor and a big fucking sword" doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Nameless

It would be fucked up if the Brotherhood are still on her list. They made it when she was adding people for any little grievance. They don't deserve to die for selling Gendry.

Speevy

Banned
That would be quite a twist, but I'm betting the writers go for the layup and the Stark kids combine their powers to finally foil LF.

Bran tells them what LF has done, Sansa as the acting ruler of Winterfell and with the power of justice has him arrested and tried (maybe Bran tells them of some evidence they can demonstrate to the people or maybe Sansa can just say he's done it. Hey, it's feudalism), and Arya being the killer uses that dagger to carry out the sentence.

Am I the only one who notices when someone does this?

Hydrus

Yea. I think we're finished with surprise deaths. Everyone you think is gonna die, will. Pretty obvious Arya or Sansa will kill him and say " I did warn you not to trust me".

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I'd like to see a free-for-all battle with all human living armies battling at full force.

Robb's full northern army pre-betrayal, all the Lannisters, Tyrells non-weakling edition, Mance's full wildling army, Dany with dragons, unsulllied, and dothraki, the knights of the Vale, etc.

Just everyone out for themselves until the last army is defeated. No whitewalkers or undead army allowed.

The Unsullied would win, easily. Did you not watch that Jorah lore video I posted about the Dothraki an Unsullied?

wandering

Banned
Shield wall stands no chance against steppe tactics, especially spread so thing and guarding a train. They were fucked either way.

Drogon just minimized Dany's casualties.

"Steppe tactics" like charging the opposing army straight on with short swords and sickles.

A single Mongolian tumen would've destroyed the entire Dothraki army.

People keep talking about how Olenna burned Jaime, but they forget she burned Cersei harder a season ago.

Cersei: You once spoke of your respect for our father because he understood the necessity of working with one's rivals.

Olenna: My dear, you have been stripped of your dignity and authority, publically shamed, and confined to the Red Keep. Heh, what's left to work with?

It was after this exchange that I realized Olenna needed to lose everything. I'm glad the show delivered.

Olenna is 100% right. Cersei is an idiot who brought all of these misfortunes on herself by inviting the sparrows.

Speevy

Banned
In Essos, a deeply entrenched culture of slavery and a rigid distinction between the upper and lower classes confounds Dany's ability to rule. Tyrion seeks the support of people who worship the red god, and strikes a deal with other slave cities who secretly fund the sons of the harpy to instigate guerilla-style attacks in the streets.

In King's Landing, a theocracy takes over Westeros in a day, rules for what is at least a few years, gets blown up, and everyone forgets it ever happened.

D and D

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd.

(I agree I don't know why they turned the Dothraki into simple cavalry)

I read they didn't want it to resemble to closely like Mongolians and just went with a mix of random steppe people.

A shield wall would work against a Dothraki charge, if they had their spears out and since I only saw like what 3 arrows being shot at the Lannisters, they could have held. Not for long though cause what it was just the lannister rear guard against several thousand Dothraki?

I read they didn't want it to resemble to closely like Mongolians and just went with a mix of random steppe people.

A shield wall would work against a Dothraki charge, if they had their spears out and since I only saw like what 3 arrows being shot at the Lannisters, they could have held. Not for long though cause what it was just the lannister rear guard against several thousand Dothraki?

has any got an estimate of how many Lannisters would have been in this battle?

25% of their total army or less?

Speevy

Banned

Robb was at a numerical disadvantage with 20,0000 soldiers so I'm guessing the Lannisters command something in the neighborhood of 30-50,000 men all over the continent.

Volimar

I'd say much less. Looked like maybe a few hundred if we're being generous among an army of tens of thousands. Couple it with the ones they left at Casterly Rock to die and I bet it starts to sting.

Speevy

Banned
This show is wildly inconsistent with the numbers of soldiers you see marching vs. the number that die on the battlefield.

Stannis is supposed to have left Castle Black with 6,000 men, but you never see that many at a time, and by the time he gets to Winterfell it's much less.

Robb's initial northern army is 20,000, then he loses 2,000, then he loses more when the Karstarks march home, plus whatever already died on the battlefield.

The Battle of the Blackwater supposedly has Stannis' full host of Baratheon defectors plus his original army, but looks much less. The Lannisters also defend the city with only a few hundred men. It appears that Tywin wins the battle with about a dozen knights.

Trying to figure out who has what from just the visuals alone is terribly confusing.

This show is wildly inconsistent with the numbers of soldiers you see marching vs. the number that die on the battlefield.

Stannis is supposed to have left Castle Black with 6,000 men, but you never see that many at a time, and by the time he gets to Winterfell it's much less.

Robb's initial northern army is 20,000, then he loses 2,000, then he loses more when the Karstarks march home, plus whatever already died on the battlefield.

The Battle of the Blackwater supposedly has Stannis' full host of Baratheon defectors plus his original army, but looks much less. The Lannisters also defend the city with only a few hundred men. It appears that Tywin wins the battle with about a dozen knights.

Trying to figure out who has what from just the visuals alone is terribly confusing.

This is a tv show. CGI is expensive.

Speevy

Banned
The apparent consensus on the Lannisters still having most of their forces begs the question of whether Dany's full army can even defeat the Lannisters in a fair fight.

If they are fully provisioned it seems to me that all they would need to do is rain arrows on the Dothraki, and ride down the unsullied.

The dragons make it an unfair fight though.

They've gone from torching ships to torching entire battalions.

Volimar

Yeah, I don't think we'll have any notable deaths for now until the WW come.

People say things like this and I just think of the next episode saying "hold my beer".

I mean you have to expect at least one of the Tarleys to get executed. They're literally traitors to Dany's ally.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He said notable.

Lol Tarlys.

Only one that could make me give a damn is Sam and he ain't dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom