• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

AzerPhire

It's all so silly and hurts Jon as a character too. It bothers me a lot how reckless the idea is and how it's reliant on characters being too stubborn.

Didnt he just receive a letter from Bran, who he didnt even know was back, and told him he "saw" the walkers at Eastwatch?

And Jon just immediately decides its go time.

Dany could have sent a dragon if her whole deal was seeing to believe. I dont even know why they are even trying with Cersei. If it's a matter of showing the Walker to the world...why would it matter if peasants at King Landing knew of them?

The Maesters seem to be a big deal, so why not take one of them to see the walkers instead of bringing one to Cersei of all people?

I love the atmosphere beyond the wall, but there's just not a good enough reason for it. Add to the fact that it's a suicide mission, with no promise it will work.

Maybe if the dragon glass was there, or if they wrote in some kind of plot item like a much needed ice rock that was necessary to mine the dragon glass or something like that.

Dany does not fully believe it and the other problem is if she goes and does see that the threat is real then she has an obligation to help but she doesn't want to do that until Jon acknowledges her as the Queen of Westeros and denounces his title as King.

Also the problem with sending just a dragon alone is that Dany can't talk to them so she would need to ride on one to go and see and that alone is a pretty big risk if something were to happen to her.

And bringing the wight back isn't to show the people of King's Landing, it is to show Cersei so that she can see the threat too and then the plan is for everyone to "join" together. Of course that is not going to happen as Cersei will most likely try to backstab Dany or Tyrion but that is Jon's whole plan for this.

I do wish they had weighed their options more.
Though if their crazy plan succeeds, bringing a Wight to the capital would be monumental for Westeros. Forget Cersei's reaction, imagine dropping a Wight that is still active in the Throne room for all sorts of Lords to see, word would get out that the Army of the Dead is real.
Qyburn could personally take interest in it since he's got some experience with the dead of a different kind.
The plan is suicidal but if it works out there's a good chance that they can convince many.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Though if their crazy plan succeeds, bringing a Wight to the capital would be monumental for Westeros. Forget Cersei's reaction, imagine dropping a Wight that is still active in the Throne room for all sorts of Lords to see, word would get out that the Army of the Dead is real.
Qyburn could personally take interest in it since he's got some experience with the dead of a different kind.
The plan is suicidal but if it works out there's a good chance that they can convince many.

It'll look something like this.
https://youtu.be/74Ao1ltSy64?t=18s

Dany does not fully believe it and the other problem is if she goes and does see that the threat is real then she has an obligation to help but she doesn't want to do that until Jon acknowledges her as the Queen of Westeros and denounces his title as King.

Also the problem with sending just a dragon alone is that Dany can't talk to them so she would need to ride on one to go and see and that alone is a pretty big risk if something were to happen to her.

And bringing the wight back isn't to show the people of King's Landing, it is to show Cersei so that she can see the threat too and then the plan is for everyone to "join" together. Of course that is not going to happen as Cersei will most likely try to backstab Dany or Tyrion but that is Jon's whole plan for this.

Dany can literally fly high, see a huge army and nope the heck out.

I get that she's stubborn though...but she's really not doing much else and was able to swoop in on the Lannisters without anything but her Dragon. Still, none of it feels convincing as to why they have to send the 7 against astronomical odds. What good is the plan if they're dead? Could they really not consider any other option here?

Maybe the reasons are solid and Im wrong, but Beyond the Wall has always come off as extremely wicked dangerous. It just feels like it would have been better if the undead had a bunch of outposts and if they didnt all just move as one unit. Because it's 7 vs. them all, right? It's not like they are going to catch stragglers hanging out away from the main force, because they all move as a horde. And again, Jon decides on this after he gets a letter from his brother who he presumed dead

I'm just not a fan of the reasoning and feel it could have been done better while maintaining the necessity to do a big battle.

Addi

I don't see how the point of the show was the final guy being run of the mill guy. That's you adding what you want (and obvs I want the opposite, but I'm not saying that's the point of the show). The rest of it is true though. I'll keep the hope that they may be lying or branhattan crip gives us more insight.

He's not run of the mill. There's no grand motivation behind his actions, no grey area, he is death incarnate. That's sort of the point with the whole show, there's no good or evil, nothing matters in the grand scheme things, there is only life vs. death.

It'll look something like this.
https://youtu.be/74Ao1ltSy64?t=18s

tumblr_ouau0blESU1qbbotio1_540.gif

Plum

Jon barges into the throne room with a Wight in tow. A few moments of silence later some old fuck stands up to speak:

"...and how do we know this isn't a Bravosi conspiracy to undermine the Seven Kingdom's economic power?"

Another lord joins him:

"Is there a scientific consensus on this... thing being real? Many Maesters say they don't exist. How can we trust you, a spoiled Northern bastard?"

Cersai ends the debate;

"Exactly. White Walkers are a myth and, to prove they don't exist, we will be transporting all our dead north of the wall from now on."

Jon barges into the throne room with a Wight in tow. A few moments of silence later some old fuck stands up to speak:

"...and how do we know this isn't a Bravosi conspiracy to undermine the Seven Kingdom's economic power?"

Another lord joins him:

"Is there a scientific consensus on this... thing being real? Many Maesters say they don't exist. How can we trust you, a spoiled Northern bastard?"

Cersai ends the debate;

"Exactly. White Walkers are a myth and, to prove they don't exist, we will be transporting all our dead north of the wall from now on."

All the heroes who went to get the wight:
When-Someone-Says-Enjoy-Getting-Up-Early-Getting-Stuff-Done-Before-Real-Day-Starts.gif

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm still really sad we changed actors for the Night King. I can't tell if I actively dislike the new guy, or if I am just used to the old one. Old one looked so menacing:

everything-we-know-about-the-night-king-on-game-of-thrones.jpg

New one is more beefy than the last. I did like the older one more but I've gotten use to the new look.

molnizzle

Nope lol. First episode they gave us this,

claire_wright_after_white_walkers_turn_her_corpse_into_an_undead_wight.png

...that's the point I'm making here. At the time the series begins, the white walkers have returned and bodies are turning to wights north of the wall. The Night's Watch isn't exposed to it until we see the bodies they bring inside turn after the fact. Maybe because they haven't had a death with an actual body to bury since wights were possible... or maybe because the "winter" hadn't reached the wall until that point.

Mithrarin

Neo Member
I'm still really sad we changed actors for the Night King. I can't tell if I actively dislike the new guy, or if I am just used to the old one. Old one looked so menacing:
Its the mouth and the eyes, but particularly the eyes that make the big difference. And the first Night King looks kind of more CGI, I don`t know.
lmi7ZSB.png

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Why do people ignore the actual conversations that happen in the show? She says that the moment she says her armies north, Cersei will move in to take back what she lost. To which Tyrion says maybe there's a way to convince Cersei, and that's when he came up with the plan. He even sneaks into King's Landing to convince Jaime to convince Cersei to accept a truce.

Its the mouth and the eyes, but particularly the eyes that make the big difference. And the first Night King looks kind of more CGI, I don`t know.
lmi7ZSB.png

You know what my problem is with the new one?

He looks like a fucking slav, like a Vladimir. Suddenly the Night King is euro to me.

Hoping for Benjen to become relevant now that they're going North.
Though he did say to Bran that he can't go cross the Wall and he is different from standard Wights being that he's a special case(shard of Dragonglass in his heart).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Ah, no speculation? I'll reign it back then.

It's understandable.

I've posted predictions before and we've had entire pages on here dedicated to discussing predictions and I don't recall anyone ever saying it wasn't allowed.

So I just wanted clarification.

If people are on edge because of leaks, it's understandable. I just want to know either way, because I have not seen any of the leaks so I don't know what will happen.

I've posted predictions before and we've had entire pages on here dedicated to discussing predictions and I don't recall anyone ever saying it wasn't allowed.

So I just wanted clarification.

If people are on edge because of leaks, it's understandable. I just want to know either way, because I have not seen any of the leaks so I don't know what will happen.

Same, best let this week go and hope the same situation doesn't come before the finale.
I love predictions/speculation.

But pretty much every actor on the show is european...?

That's not a problem and not my point.

He doesn't look like the NK to me. He looks like some random slav with makeup and visual effects.

If I could photoshop I'd put his head on a slav squatting in a tracksuit to get my point across a little better. I dunno, I guess maybe I can see it because I'm slavic myself.

I was thinking this for a few weeks. People are really hungry for any kind of false validation. Nobody actually cares when you "guess" something right. Don't try to seem smarter than you are :/

Yep.

We mention it all the time in Star Wars threads, but The Force Awakens was the greatest example of this shit ever. After all the leaks came out, there were so many people "predicting" how
it was clearly Han Solo's body Rey was crying over in the trailers.
Only, it wasn't. I wonder why so many people thought it was? I. Wonder.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I like the new Night King. looks way less CGI-ish. As for the basic structures of his face, I don't know, I mean the dude has a face of ice and blue eyes. They are barely recognizable as their real faces, so at that point you're talking about bone structure and nose size, etc.

Anything less CGI looks better IMO.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was thinking this for a few weeks. People are really hungry for any kind of false validation. Nobody actually cares when you "guess" something right. Don't try to seem smarter than you are :/

I can only speak for myself, but I don't post predictions for validation, I don't care if I'm right or not. Generally, I don't care about my own predictions being right unless it leads to me making money in some type of a bet.

I think they make for cool discussions and people can post their own predictions in response. Some of the coolest GoT discussions I've had over the years were predictions.

But I'm not gonna post them anymore out of respect for people here, or at least until the leaks have stopped or settled down, and by that point it'll be season 8.

Top Bottom