• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Volimar

It's weird how precise some people are about "predicting" things...

People keep saying this, but I haven't noticed many people getting things right. In a thread chock full of speculation someone gets something right in what? 1 out of 20 guesses?

Unless it's happening while the show is airing. I don't keep up with the thread then.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
...that's the point I'm making here. At the time the series begins, the white walkers have returned and bodies are turning to wights north of the wall. The Night's Watch isn't exposed to it until we see the bodies they bring inside turn after the fact. Maybe because they haven't had a death with an actual body to bury since wights were possible... or maybe because the "winter" hadn't reached the wall until that point.

But you said,
Right, because it was at that point that white walkers' power had progressed to the point that they were actually creating wights again. Because of the comet or whatever. Same reason Dany has dragons. Magic is returning to the world before the long night.

The comet didn't appear till the first episode of season 2, and Dany didn't have her dragons till the last episode of season 1. Plus, when you consider how old some of those zombies were in the Nights King's army at Hardhome, and that he was turning people from the very first episode of the series, I wouldn't exactly say that the White Walker's "power had progressed to the point that they were actually creating wights again." I also wouldn't agree that the comet had anything to do with it either.

Mithrarin

Neo Member
I didn't even realize they were different people till now... they did the right cast change imo
I like both. Liked the first one a little bit more, but the new NK looks menacing as well.

untitled-219.gif

Surfinn

Can't deny they both have chemistry, it has also been tasteful too.

But I'm still against it.

Yup. They are dynamite on screen. So rooting for them

In fact that's pretty much the biggest thing I want to happen on the show right now. Not because "in theory", but because of their specific interactions. Never imagined or wanted it before they met.

They're great together.

I predict I will play this song on loop when Dany and Jon get it on.

Ghost approves:
tumblr_o6xhkrCsbf1r4jzd7o1_400.gif

Yup. They are dynamite on screen. So rooting for them

In fact that's pretty much the biggest thing I want to happen on the show right now. Not because "in theory", but because of their specific interactions. Never imagined or wanted it before they met.

They're great together.

Emilia Clarke's nonverbal acting last episode was great. She's been pretty good this season.

AzerPhire

Why do people ignore the actual conversations that happen in the show? She says that the moment she says her armies north, Cersei will move in to take back what she lost. To which Tyrion says maybe there's a way to convince Cersei, and that's when he came up with the plan. He even sneaks into King's Landing to convince Jaime to convince Cersei to accept a truce.

I am not ignoring conversations from the show that is also another part of it. There is more than one reason why she is not rushing out to help Jon and find evidence herself.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I don't want Jon and Dany to hook up. For one, there's been enough incest on the show, but if they do end up getting together, I just hope it isn't hokey. They have the threat of the White Walkers coming, they don't exactly have time to sit around and be lovey dovey.

I don't want Jon and Dany to hook up. For one, there's been enough incest on the show, but if they do end up getting together, I just hope it isn't hokey. They have the threat of the White Walkers coming, they don't exactly have time to sit around and be lovey dovey.

Why not though? It's normal in that time period, it's prevalent in history, and they are two consenting adults, right? We're grossed out, but it's not immoral in the scenarios we've seen

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Guys I just had an idea

what if Euron finds out Cersei is pregnant

they get married because alliance and shit

and then Euron murders Cersei to put himself on the throne

Yeah I can totally see Euron killing Cersei. Might not even have to be married to pull it off.

Surfinn

Ghost approves:
tumblr_o6xhkrCsbf1r4jzd7o1_400.gif

Emilia Clarke's nonverbal acting last episode was great. She's been pretty good this season.

Man..

I never understood the hate for Emilia. Her acting subtleties really make Danny shine. I think she's a fantastic actor who has done the character justice and then some.

I would actually go as far as to say a lot of the criticism comes more from the writing than the actress.

But this season, she's been golden and has, thus far, put out an excellent performance.

I feel like John/Danny betters both actors because of their natural chemistry.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
That's the problem with allowing half the cast to essentially teleport, why wouldn't dany make the 15 minute flight there and back to see for herself?

I think they made it clear in episode 5 that she believes in it now. She's believed in it ever since the saw the drawings in the cave.

If she didn't believe, why would she allow a plan be devised around something she didn't believe in, propose an armistice over it, and basically look like she was about to try when Jon said he was going north?

She believes, or at the very least she believes in Jon and his word.

Guys I just had an idea

Yeah I can totally see Euron killing Cersei. Might not even have to be married to pull it off.

Maybe she'll pretend the new baby is Euron's. Like she did with Robert.

What's the deal here again? Are these the white walkers/long haired commander dudes?

It doesnt seem all that important here since it's one baby at a time but I know he's been collecting a number from that Gilly's dad

And where are the women. All I see Night King surrounded by are dudes...

Guys I just had an idea

Euron is too late stage cartoon villain for me to think he can do something so significant.

Man..

I never understood the hate for Emilia. Her acting subtleties really make Danny shine. I think she's a fantastic actor who has done the character justice and then some.

I would actually go as far as to say a lot of the criticism comes more from the writing than the actress.

But this season, she's been golden and has, thus far, put out an excellent performance.

I agree with you. I just thought that Dany's "stilted" acting was her trying to be a queen, or what she thought was being a queen.
A lot of the time I had no problem with her acting.

Man..

What is odd is I think the show has suffered without being able to take direct lines from GRRM from the books as a foundation. Or rather...the dialogue isn't as snappy and enjoyable overall. And yet Dany, who I have always disliked, seems to be getting better. Maybe GRRM just wasn't that great at handling her? This is my favorite season of hers so far.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What's the deal here again? Are these the white walkers/long haired commander dudes?

It doesnt seem all that important here since it's one baby at a time but I know he's been collecting a number from that Gilly's dad

Well, all of the babies he got were males since that's the only ones Caster wanted to kill but who knows if he had getting other babies elsewhere.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Maybe she'll pretend the new baby is Euron's. Like she did with Robert.

Euron is too late stage cartoon villain for me to think he can do something so significant.

I think of Euron as Joker now.

He'll do whatever the fuck he wants.

Maybe he'll claim it's his child (or make an arrangement with Cersei to say it's his), then murder Cersei after birth and "act as warden of the throne until the child comes of age".

Plum

Will we ever see the Night King's home? Dont tell me this dude is just wandering a snow desert all his life.

It's a cozy cabin with a White Barker sleeping by a warm fire. After a long days of raising the dead the Night King comes back to put his feet up and read the White Walker children a story.

How are they going to fuck it up? If there is no more exposition on him, he will end up being run of the mill villain which is a huge contrast to the varying and awesome villains the series has. I really hope the season finale or early next season the dude talks, otherwise it will be up to Manhattan cripple flashbacks to give us all his exposition.

This has always been my issue with the series. Unless they explore white walkers a shit ton (no time for it in the show lol) then they have been the least interesting aspect of the universe from day 1.

The further the series strays into magic outside of beasts (dragons/direwolves) the less I like it.

Man, I can't decide if I want to know more about the Walkers or not. On the one hand, it makes them kinda bleak to be that evil, but natural force, however, also myhtical... on the other hand, I want to know if they have any language, culture etc.

This has always been my issue with the series. Unless they explore white walkers a shit ton (no time for it in the show lol) then they have been the least interesting aspect of the universe from day 1.

The further the series strays into magic outside of beasts (dragons/direwolves) the less I like it.

Yes, but if they become too developed, they just end up like yet another kingdom.

Their relentlessness and supernatural stuff makes them really fun. I like all of the magic stuff, but I just have to hope it comes together nicely now.

Einchy

Man, I can't decide if I want to know more about the Walkers or not. On the one hand, it makes them kinda bleak to be that evil, but natural force, however, also myhtical... on the other hand, I want to know if they have any language, culture etc.

Who made them their armor? I'd like to believe it's Night King on a lil' old timey sewing machine.
I'd rather they remain silent. But I want to know what the NK was like in his formative years, what made him turn against the Children.

He was the Day King.

Surfinn

I'll also say that Danny's theme (not sure if that's the official name) is my favorite in the show (among LOTS of excellent pieces). Always get chills when it starts up.

I agree with you. I just thought that Dany's "stilted" acting was her trying to be a queen, or what she thought was being a queen.
A lot of the time I had no problem with her acting.

Yup. She feels awkward sometimes because she's struggling between being ruthless and compassionate. In GoT, you need a delicate balance of both to politically AND morally successful.

What is odd is I think the show has suffered without being able to take direct lines from GRRM from the books as a foundation. Or rather...the dialogue isn't as snappy and enjoyable overall. And yet Dany, who I have always disliked, seems to be getting better. Maybe GRRM just wasn't that great at handling her? This is my favorite season of hers so far.

Yup I feel like this is by far her best season. Not sure if it's coincidence or not but I'm loving it

Einchy

Speaking of Dany, I always see people complaining about her making speeches or something, and I've never found that bad since they've always been super badass and emotional peaks for me. The only one that didn't work that much for me was the one where she recruits all the Dothraki when she's riding Drogon in season 6, and not because it was bad, but because it wasn't the greatest ending for an episode.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I think they made it clear in episode 5 that she believes in it now. She's believed in it ever since the saw the drawings in the cave.

If she didn't believe, why would she allow a plan be devised around something she didn't believe in, propose an armistice over it, and basically look like she was about to try when Jon said he was going north?

She believes, or at the very least she believes in Jon and his word.

Bingo. People are bypassing the actual reasons the show's character's list, in order to drive home a narrative they want us to agree to.

Top Bottom