• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
its hard not to like tywin despite the sword melting and wolf pelt burning

hes pulling all the strings and is kinda untouchable, as long he's alive the lannisters are gonna lannister

Said this to the wife tonight he's an absolute monster but can back it oh whereas Joffrey is just a little cunt

I love this show but I always fear for my favourite character I love Bron but he seems like sword fodder sooner or later, his nod when there was mention of more women was godly!

No idea how many books there are or how they relate to the series (nor do I care to) I just hope there's enough material for a few more seasons yet!

Vashetti

Banned
From season one? They laughed it off and said "those Northerners are so cray cray"

Maester Aemon had Sam send out all the ravens at the end of Season 3, essentially begging for aid.

Stannis is headed there now.

I expect at King's Landing they just laughed it off again and carried on sunbathing.

Nameless

He's a frightening man. The fact he is so powerful, rich and influential just adds to that. Tyrion is right - Seven Kingdoms united in fear of Tywin Lannister.

I think a lot of that is also coming from the actor. Charles Dance's performance is just absolutely magnificent. I always loved him as an actor, but the role of Tywin is just perfect for him. I like how when he talks, you can hear that authority of his booming voice vibrating underneath his breath, and when he does burst out, it's just really scary. He pulls off the strict father and powerful lord amazingly.
It's no wonder he is typically cast as villain, too.

The ironic thing about Tywin is that while he's gained enough money, power, and influence to realize his obession with making House Lannister the dominant force in the Seven Kingdoms long term, his children, two incestuous twins and a dwarf, might not be up to the task. He's an old man facing the very real possibility that all he's built will go to shit the moment he dies.

tino

Banned
Yeaaaaaah no.
It's a more quiet, personal celebration of his victory.
Like everyone else he plays the Game, but he's the goddamn best at it.

Hands down my favorite character.

tumblr_n3n2c2zm3B1qhfadgo1_500.png

edit: damn beaten like a Stark

Every Lannister man is on my cool list. Tywin, Jaime, Tyrion, Kaven. Everyone of them can be my role model.

Not counting Joffery of course.

The ironic thing about Tywin is that while he's gained enough money, power, and influence to realize his obession with making House Lannister the dominant force in the Seven Kingdoms long term, his children, two incestuous twins and a dwarf, might not be up to the task. He's an old man facing the very real possibility that all he's built will go to shit the moment he dies.

Yeah, doesn't help that out of those twins, the son is now a cripple and also wants to stay in the Kingsguard and not become his heir, while the daughter is so bent on ruling (while also refusing to marry again) that she's gone craycray.
It's also interesting to see how much Tyrion has matured since he went to King's Landing in Season 2, but Tywin refuses to see beyond the dwarfism and Tyrion's ... history.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I love Tywin as much as the next guy but since he emasculated Tyrion he's been boring as hell. We need arrogant Tyrion back.

Nameless

Yeah, doesn't help that out of those twins, the son is now a cripple and also wants to stay in the Kingsguard and not become his heir, while the daughter is so bent on ruling (while also refusing to marry again) that she's gone craycray.
It's also interesting to see how much Tyrion has matured since he went to King's Landing in Season 2, but Tywin refuses to see beyond the dwarfism and Tyrion's ... history.

Yeah, you could argue that Cersei shares his disposition and ambition , but like she says, she was born with the wrong thing between her legs. Tyrion is capable mentally, he's quite good at playing the game, but aside from his physical limitations I'm not sure if he has Tywin's ruthlessness. The Red Wedding doesn't happen on Tyrion's watch. And like you say, it doesn't look like Jaime wants any part of that burden, which is probably why he joined The Kingsguard to begin with.

Furiously aroused

I have to confess, I went from being a Stark lover in season 1 to... pretty much a Tyrion/Lannister superfan now. Starks just made too many mistakes. In GRRM's world, the nice guys always seem to finish last. It's just a very brutal world.

I think the pivotal moment for me was "The Lannisters send their regards". Got damn... I was still mourning for Robb when I first saw that episode. But on subsequent rewatches, I knew that he dug his own grave and made too many tactical mistakes (like Karstark etc).

Yeah, you could argue that Cersei shares his disposition and ambition , but like she says, she was born with the wrong thing between her legs. Tyrion is capable mentally, he's quite good at playing the game, but aside from his physical limitations I'm not sure if he has Tywin's ruthlessness. The Red Wedding doesn't happen on Tyrion's watch. And like you say, it doesn't look like Jaime wants any part of that burden, which is probably why he joined The Kingsguard to begin with.

Aye. I think that's what makes him such a great villain too. He goes through with what he believes is the right course of action, despite all the ruthlessness he has to do for it and possible consequences that would follow (after all, he underestimated Robb and very nearly lost the war if it wasn't for several things he couldn't know falling into his favor). Yet he is fully aware of his children likely not being able to carry it on.

I have to confess, I went from being a Stark lover in season 1 to... pretty much a Tyrion/Lannister superfan now. Starks just made too many mistakes. In GRRM's world, the nice guys always seem to finish last. It's just a very brutal world.

I think the pivotal moment for me was "The Lannisters send their regards". Got damn... I was still mourning for Robb when I first saw that episode. But on subsequent rewatches, I knew that he dug his own grave and made too many tactical mistakes (like Karstark etc).

Karstark was right - Robb lost the war the day he married that priestess girl from Volantis.

Vashetti

Banned
Do we know that for sure? I thought they just got word, Stannis was about to have Davos executed until Melisandre told Stannis that he'll need him for the war in the north. That was the last we heard of them.

Oh right, I just assumed they would be headed there after their last Season 3 scene.

tino

Banned
I love Tywin as much as the next guy but since he emasculated Tyrion he's been boring as hell. We need arrogant Tyrion back.

"Explain to me why it is more noble to kill 10,000 men in battle than a dozen at dinner. " My favorite quote of the series.

The starks are idiots, never been a fan of them but its hard to hate good guys. Robb is a clown, he should have marrued that fray girl and marched south with the army and not execute thag old guy. But starks will make a comeback though, bran has insane powers, arya is a badass and john is a questionmark

So damn true too.

The sentiment is true, but he's either been misinformed or its a blatant lie. There were clearly way more than a dozen people at that dinner. And it's more noble to kill 10000 people at battle because, as the hound says, a man's gotta have a code. It's about the betrayal of something that is a fundamental part of their society. It implies a sort of deterioration of their society and so, in their minds, a blurring of the line between them and animals. It makes their world that much more terrifying to live in, that someone would do that. He's right that it's better to stab a few people to death at a feast than to let thousands and thousands die, but it's not what happened. And it ignores the religious significance of the act. Which isn't a big deal for a secular society, but for the people of Westeros it can have a huge impact on their identity and the stability of their society in general.

Daario is Tyroshi, I think Jaquen is from Lorath? Not 100% sure.

Daario is indeed from Tyrosh. Jaqen says he is from Lorath, but he likely says that as part of his identity as Jaqen. It's possible he is a Lorathi, but it's also possible he is from Braavos, since that's where the Faceless Men are living, or somewhere else.

So damn true too.

Er, wasn't the entire Stark Host camped outside of the Twins? It was many, many more than "a dozen".

Playing down what Tywin did doesn't make it any less slimy, but I gues since he didn't violate Guest Right, he's not so worried about the possible repricussions of that.

I'm still on Team Stark, but Tywin is still one of my favorite characters, and the only Lannister besides Tyrion that I'm a fan of.

Just saying that it was dirty business. That man isn't concerned one way or the other how many people had to die before he got what he wanted.

Karstark was right - Robb lost the war the day he married that priestess girl from Volantis.

Damn, he did say that, didn't he? Wow. Prophetic. I feel terrible for Robb, and I do hope that there's some justice for the Red Wedding, but he really did foul that whole thing up.

The sentiment is true, but he's either been misinformed or its a blatant lie. There were clearly way more than a dozen people at that dinner. And it's more noble to kill 10000 people at battle because, as the hound says, a man's gotta have a code. It's about the betrayal of something that is a fundamental part of their society. It implies a sort of deterioration of their society and so, in their minds, a blurring of the line between them and animals. It makes their world that much more terrifying to live in, that someone would do that. He's right that it's better to stab a few people to death at a feast than to let thousands and thousands die, but it's not what happened. And it ignores the religious significance of the act. Which isn't a big deal for a secular society, but for the people of Westeros it can have a huge impact on their identity and the stability of their society in general.

Er, wasn't the entire Stark Host camped outside of the Twins? It was many, many more than "a dozen".

Playing down what Tywin did doesn't make it any less slimy, but I gues since he didn't violate Guest Right, he's not so worried about the possible repricussions of that.

I'm still on Team Stark, but Tywin is still one of my favorite characters, and the only Lannister besides Tyrion that I'm a fan of.

Just saying that it was dirty business. That man isn't concerned one way or the other how many people had to die before he got what he wanted.

Damn, he did say that, didn't he? Wow. Prophetic. I feel terrible for Robb, and I do hope that there's some justice for the Red Wedding, but he really did foul that whole thing up.

Well I'm not saying it wasn't slimy and I don't know the official number of dead but it was probably nowhere near as many as would have died in all out war.

Demon Ice

Banned
Game of Thrones wiki is just for the show so it's clean.

Just be careful, sometimes at the bottom of the page they'll have a "Trivia / random facts" section and some of them will be like "so and so scene is different from the books, where such and such happens instead, which will have consequences seen later."

Yup, he's from Lorath.

It's Jaqen btw. Jaqen H'ghar.

Thanks, that's a hell of a name to try and sound out lol.

Thanks, that's a hell of a name to try and sound out lol.

Lol, I know!

I had a real hard time with the names up until recently when I re-watched all episodes for the 3rd or 4th time. Even now I still forget some, just last night I refereed to Robb Starks wife as Jayne, haha. Someone corrected me and I forgot already, Talia, Tullia? No clue.

desh

Welcome, this is the NO BOOK SPOILERS thread.

See, now this confuses me. The spoiler thread started doing this, so when I clicked on this thread, and I see the big red banner, I immediately thought I was in the spoiler thread. Do it in only one thread...if you do it in both it doesn't server it's purpose as effectively.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I remember during last season on here a book reader, I believe, called Robb's wife by another name and I assumed Talia would get killed and he'd end up marrying another woman later on.

...Then they both got brutally murdered ;_;

Lol, I know!

I had a real hard time with the names up until recently when I re-watched all episodes for the 3rd or 4th time. Even now I still forget some, just last night I refereed to Robb Starks wife as Jayne, haha. Someone corrected me and I forgot already, Talia, Tullia? No clue.

To be fair, calling her Jeyne is not entirely incorrect, as they changed the character's name in the show. They originally cast her as Jeyne, but the showmakers said the character deviated so much from the books Jeyne that GRRM himself suggested just making her a whole new character.

Edit: Looked up some stuff and this information is indeed not a spoiler. Just wanted to make sure everything is fine! :)

televator

I actually don't think the Starks are all that nice... they've just been very ridgid and they never really question their own ethics. Cutting people's heads off not just when it wouldn't be politically prudent, but as too high of a punishment for whatever crime is commited.

I have a feeling that Jaime and Brienne will be hooking up some time soon. They respect and understand each other from their time in captivity, both are kickass fighters, he's saved her a couple times and Cersei is giving Jaime the icy cold shoulder.

I got that info from GoT wiki page but I think it was a character from Season 1.

Ah yes, you're referring to Jeyne Poole. She's the daughter of Winterfell's steward and a friend of Sansa's, only appears in the pilot I think. She's never outright named in the show itself but in the audio commentary for the DVD set.

Ah yes, you're referring to Jeyne Poole. She's the daughter of Winterfell's steward and a friend of Sansa's, only appears in the pilot I think. She's never outright named in the show itself but in the audio commentary for the DVD set.

Yup, that's the one. I had a bunch of tabs open from the wiki page and named her for some reason. Maybe I might have read what you mentioned earlier somewhere else and got them mixed up, not sure. Regardless, tricky names some of them.

I request we all take a moment to show respect to our King and Protector.

0FnveM6.png

And who are you, the proud lord said
That I must bow so low?
Only a cat of a different coat
That's all the truth I know
In a coat of gold or a coat of red
A lion still has claws
And mine are long and sharp, my lord
As long and sharp as yours

And so he spoke, and so he spoke
That lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall
With no one there to hear
Yes, now the rains weep o'er his hall
And not a soul to hear

And so he spoke, and so he spoke
That lord of Castamere
But now the rains weep o'er his hall
With no one there to hear
Yes, now the rains weep o'er his hall
And not a soul to hear

Badass

abuC

Thank you to the mods for keeping the book readers on a short leash in here! I don't even get why they want to post in this thread.

Aside from that, those wild-ling cannibals were terrifying looking, the scars and just how big they were in relation to the other wild-lings, and of course the fact they were BBQ'ing someones arm helps the scary factor.

ramuh

Really good solid premiere IMO. The one thing that stood out with the premiere was that Joffrey statue. So silly. :)

Thank you to the mods for keeping the book readers on a short leash in here! I don't even get why they want to post in this thread.

There's more to the show than just the main plot and speculating about what happens to the characters. There's the acting, the sets, and of course talking about the characters and their development within the show so far.
Personally, the books are the books, and the show is the show - I personally won't talk about anything that hasn't happened or isn't known through additional official sources (like that Talisa bit on this page). I do enjoy talking with appreciators of just the show as much as I do with appreciators of both. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom