• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 6 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
;___;

but-but i love it when the brainy ones fight

that time when Varys and Littlefinger and Tyrion were plotting and pushing and jostling against each other in Kings Landing was fun
I would love to see Cersei try to talk shit to Littlefinger again only to realize the guy now has more power than she does.

Holy shit, this is too good. Put in my favorites.
Yup, as soon as they were surrounded, I instantly thought of Carlin talking about that battle and how men would suffocate and die in the crush of bodies.
Same here. I'd love to watch a video on the behind-the-scenes of the battle from this episode.
I might be mistaken but I think people enjoy this episode.
IApkhVr.png
In the end, all I care about is that Tormund survived. If he died, I might've cried myself to sleep tonight.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I was kinda surprised that people liked Dany's parts in the episode. Good for them but I am just so over her bullshit. Everything she does feels cringe-worthy to me. I have had enough of her 'speeches' and her 'maah dragons!' and her dragons swooping in and shit.

I was kinda surprised that people liked Dany's parts in the episode. Good for them but I am just so over her bullshit. Everything she does feels cringe-worthy to me. I have had enough of her 'speeches' and her 'maah dragons!' and her dragons swooping in and shit.
I really can't stand her anymore either, but episode 9 she was much more bearable than previous episodes. I like her when she is being open-minded and listens to others around her, like she did with Tyrion. That's a Dany I can get behind and enjoy.
Sansa is going to seduce the little Vale dipshit isn't she?
More like he's going to seduce her. That guy has intense levels of swag.

Great capture.

Matty77

Did he? Fair enough.

That does then question the plot line in S01 around Robert's kids being illegitimate. As the king, couldn't he just degree they're Baratheons?

My first post in this thread but I just felt it was really important to adress this question because it is actually crucial to the politics point of the show, and the fact that the king can legitamize an heir with the fathers approval strengthens the plot of S1.

Never read the books so this is just from the show but my understanding was basically Jon Arryn whose death begins the series figured out the "Baratheon" children were not Robert's. He then tracks down the bastards that could be legitimized but before he can present this evidence and have Robert if he listens disown those children and legitamize a true heir Cersei and Jaime find out and kill him. They then start having the bastards killed. Ned is brought to kings Landing and he starts looking into why Arren was killed and finds Gendry so Robert's "Accident" was set up. Once Joffrey was put in power Ned is setup and executed as traitor, for a couple reasons but the biggest being to hide the knowledge of Cersei's children's parentage and the existence of the bastards.

Rumors get out though so neither of the other Baratheons acknowledge Joffrey as a true Heir and Robb wants to be independent spurned by his fathers death, kicking off the war of the five kings.

As for why they were bastards to begin with he already thought he had two healthy Male heirs, trust me kings don't want many of those.

So in sum, that rule strengthens the plot of the first season and is crucial to many things that come after.

Oh you mean like how she blatantly told Jon that Rickon was dead without a single emotion on her face? This is a different Sansa. Do you think Ned Stark would have fed Joffrey to dogs?

Jeffrey didn't fucking rape Ned and Joffrey didnt skin people alive.

StormKing

I really can't stand her anymore either, but episode 9 she was much more bearable than previous episodes. I like her when she is being open-minded and listens to others around her, like she did with Tyrion. That's a Dany I can get behind and enjoy.

Yeah, Dany was pretty great this episode. She made sensible and reasonable decisions. She listened to her advisors and made good. If this trend continues, then I can see her turning into a pretty good ruler.

Jon was very bad at everything except fighting. He ignored his advisors. He charged into battle recklessly despite repeated reminders not to. He proved to be a terrible commander. Perhaps he suffered some brain damage when he died and before he was resurrected? Maybe he got the same idiot pill Arya did Episode 7? I can't root for Jon as King after that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So what exactly was this scene?

I know he is going out for a walk because he doesn't sleep before battle, is it some sort of vision he is having?

He finds a burnt stag toy, the one he gave Shireen and it's next to a pyre like the ones Stannis and Meli used to burn heretics. At this point he realizes that Shireen didn't die during the battle but was burned alive for The Lord of Light.

Once they re-take Winterfell, there's a shot of Davos staring at Meli, he knows what she did.
hTcpQ5V.jpg

effzee

Watched the NBA finals last night on dvr, which didn't finish till midnight, and then just watched GOT tonight.

WHAT AN AMAZING episode! Yes predictable but who cares? The music, the action, the cinematography, the choreography, and the acting was all top notch. I was tense all episode even though I was sure Jon wouldn't die.

And surprisingly while I wanted the whole episode to be about the battle for Winterfell, the start with Mereen and then the Theon and Yara portions only enhanced the episodes for me!

Sad to see Rickon die but of all the Starks we knew him the least and it stung the least (unfortunately) when he passed.

That whole single shot in the battle rivaled any movie I have seen. The battle itself was done better than most movie battles of the same nature. Jon suffocating had me suffocating.

I know the story for most is going to be predictable moving forward, but as long as they tell it well and the production remains top notch I can't wait.

Are the next 2 seasons confirmed 7 and 6 episodes? Or is that still a strong rumor?

Really enjoyed the the most part. It was particularly well shot and there was real tension in the scenes leading up to the winterfell battle, which was suitably intense. Khaleesi continues to just be the most uninteresting character though, and her Deus ex dragons and fuck yeah moments resolving all the shitty situations she gets herself into is pretty tiresome. The westeros stuff is so much better, even though this battle was also yet again resolved with a Deus ex Machina.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Are the next 2 seasons confirmed 7 and 6 episodes? Or is that still a strong rumor?

Strong rumor, last we heard was one of the GoT directors who said he believed next season was gonna be 7 episodes. At this point I'd be surprised if it was a ten episode season but nothing has been confirmed so it's possible things changed.

this battle was also yet again resolved with a Deus ex Machina.

It can't be deus ex machina if it was set up.
[edit]

From reddit.
giphy.gif

Really enjoyed the the most part. It was particularly well shot and there was real tension in the scenes leading up to the winterfell battle, which was suitably intense. Khaleesi continues to just be the most uninteresting character though, and her Deus ex dragons and fuck yeah moments resolving all the shitty situations she gets herself into is pretty tiresome. The westeros stuff is so much better, even though this battle was also yet again resolved with a Deus ex Machina.
That's not a Deux Ex Machina. That's narrative payoff. What had been established for several episodes (Sansa gathering additional forces and help from Littlefinger and the Vale) comes to fruition here (those additional forces coming to help)

It can't be deus ex machina if it was set up.

That's not a Deux Ex Machina. That's narrative payoff. What had been established for several episodes (Sansa gathering additional forces and help from Littlefinger and the Vale) comes to fruition here (those additional forces coming to help)

It was set up but it still felt like a writer's crutch to get the underdogs out of a tricky situation by having the dramatic perfectly timed save by the sweeping army. I'm not saying you can never do that, but this show has played that card too many times (both major conflicts this episode are resolved this way, and no ice/fire mirroring symbolism is not a valid excuse for it) and its just not a very dramatically I nteresting way of resolving conflicts.

So not technically a deus ex machina, but it did feel like a lazy way out. Especially with Sansa totally withholding any information from John and letting him run practically to his death without telling him about the backup army that is likely to come just as a means of keeping us in suspense.

So why didn't Wun Wun have any armor?

A giant would be so much more effective with armor, a huge shield and a sword

I don't think there is much industry north of the wall... and it's not like they had time to craft him a brand new set in the time they had below the wall. Best they could do was throwing cloth and leather on him until he had a little protection

It was set up but it still felt like a writer's crutch to get the underdogs out of a tricky situation by having the dramatic perfectly timed save by the sweeping army. I'm not saying you can never do that, but this show has played that card too many times (both major conflicts this episode are resolved this way, and no ice/fire mirroring symbolism is not a valid excuse for it) and its just not a very dramatically I nteresting way of resolving conflicts.

So not technically a deus ex machina, but it did feel like a lazy way out. Especially with Sansa totally withholding any information from John and letting him run practically to his death without telling him about the backup army that is likely to come just as a means of keeping us in suspense.
Necessary to defeat Ramsey. Otherwise, you have a still-outnumbered army facing Ramsey's larger army that has more time to prepare and adapt.

It's brutal, and sacrifices many men, but Sansa's tactical maneuver allowed them to catch Ramsey's forces completely unaware.

Again, this ties back to Ramsey's "part of me" line. He sacrificed his own men to trap Jon's forces. She sacrificed her own men to ambush Ramsey's forces. She's grown emotionally detached, and ruthless, to survive and win

Necessary to defeat Ramsey. Otherwise, you have a still-outnumbered army facing Ramsey's larger army that has more time to prepare and adapt.

It's brutal, and sacrifices many men, but Sansa's tactical maneuver allowed them to catch Ramsey's forces completely unaware.

Again, this ties back to Ramsey's "part of me" line. He sacrificed his own men to trap Jon's forces. She sacrificed her own men to ambush Ramsey's forces. She's grown emotionally detached, and ruthless, to survive and win

I guess that makes sense. But I stand by it being a pretty unsatisfying way to resolve the conflict, given how frequently the show does it. I also would have really liked Jon Snow to have shown some character growth after coming back from the fucking dead, but apparently he's still an idiot. This would have been a good opportunity to show him not fuck up for once, instead we get Sansa going all little finger which while making sense for her character was like letting all the air out of the balloon because it's such a well worn trick. At the very least I'd like to see a little more active scheming on her part to make it more satisfying rather than just her sitting back waiting for the boys in blue to arrive.

Lorcain

I tried to count how many people Jon kills during the battle on my 2nd time watching, and I stopped at around 20 because it was too hard to keep up. I'm guessing it was close to 30. And there were people in this thread saying he wasn't a good warrior?? Knuckleheaded general, sure, but as a warrior he's a badass. And after all that fighting, getting crushed, and then running half a mile to the castle, he still shield bashes Ramsey in the throat and beats the shit out of him.

neoism

This gif has already tallied up 628 GB of bandwidth since I posted it 13 hours ago.
qPJ2bVA.gif

Not bad. Some French website plopped it in their recap article, which outpaced hits from Neogaf.

what program did you use I made a shittier version... didn't get the fps right either???
http://i.imgur.com/UuZbwqL.gif its 50mb so im posting a link

yeah this ep must have takin a few weeks to film gonna watch the making of now
That scene with Davos at the grave with his cloak flowing out against the sunrise was fucking awesome too.

yeah I was thinking while watching it make a cool WP...

So can we all agree this has been an overall great season so far? It has completely washed the bad taste of last season out of my mouth. I just pray episode 10 doesnt fuck it up.

neoism

cool the same director as that awesome battle in season 5 directing next weeks ep as well. :eek:
I use GifCam for Windows (the site appears to be down right now, hopefully just temporary, I'd only trust this link directly to the creator though as other places might bundle it with shady stuff).

lol I guess I just dont know how to use it lol Kappa
use the same program...i got the most recent updated one too... I used 23 fps using 24 looked to fast guess I'll play with it alittle more.

StormKing

So can we all agree this has been an overall great season so far? It has completely washed the bad taste of last season out of my mouth. I just pray episode 10 doesnt fuck it up.

It's better than last season thanks to much less Dorne but the writing is still terrible. The show writers appear to favor shock value over characterization. I'd say it's an average season with great episodes like the Door, Battle of the Bastards and hopefully the finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom