• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Opinion Summaries: Playstation (short "reviews" for PS1 games I have)

So, this is a tank action game. You can move the tank with the analog stick, and also control the turret independently if you want. Getting used to the controls can be a little tricky, but the basics are simple enough: point at enemies and shoot them. Do watch your ammo, though; most guns have limited ammo. Exploring levels is worth it, in order to find more ammo and health. You've got a nice variety of weapons to use. Targeting takes some getting used to, though, as was common on the PS1. You can try either auto, partial-auto, or manual targeting, and there are multiple control options as well. Hitting helicopters, particularly, with manual targeting can be tricky, but might be worth the effort, because you aren't allowed to move the turret around in full-auto mode, and this can be a problem sometimes. In this kind of game I want full control over my tank, which means learning the manual targeting controls. You can switch during play, though, which is great; you're not stuck with just one. Levels in this game are good-sized, open levels with plenty of hills and valleys. There's no flat terrain like Battletanx here! Environments aren't as destructible as in that game, but still, there are lots of enemies to shoot, and the rolling terrain is great. The game looks nice, good graphics and level designs for a midlife PS1 game. This is a tough game; it will take a while to learn each level, figure out what you should do, and how to approach each area. You've got a variety of objectives to complete in each level, almost always about various things you have to destroy. There is a helpful map on the pause menu, use it. If you just charge around you'll get killed for sure. I think this is a good thing, and like the thought involved here. Figuring out each stage is a fun challenge, and you can save between levels. The game gets off to a great start, I love the first level. It stays good after that, too. Just be careful and take things slowly, and with practice you'll be okay. Taking enemies out from a distance is great, when you can manage it. There are ten levels, which is plenty for a game as challenging as this one. There are also multiple tanks to unlock as you play through the game, for some variety; though the default tank is pretty cool, the alternate ones do have different weapons. There's also a two player versus mode. A co-op campaign mode would have been better, but this is nice to see as well, even if the two player limit (and lack of co-op!) makes it nowhere near as great as N64 BattleTanx. Overall, I love this game. Steel Reign is one of the PS1's best tank games, and it's a real surprise; I never heard of this game back around when it came out, but I wish I had, because it's a great fun game with good levels, variety, action, and plenty of fun. This game is much more of an arcade game than it is a sim, but it has enough depth to be interesting. Steel Reign is a great game, play it! Highly recommended.

Street Fighter Collection 2
--
2 player simultaneous, saves (1 block). Street Fighter Collection 2 is a collection of the first three arcade versions of SFII, ported over to the Playstation. Specifically, this includes Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II': Champion Edition, and Street Fighter II Turbo. The collection was popular at the time of its release, but honestly, I'd much rather have the first one; it has Super SFII, Super SFII Turbo, and SF Alpha 2 Gold, three newer games than these. I know many SF fans prefer Turbo, but I've always liked Super more, myself. It's weird that the second collection goes back to older games, instead of releasing these first. Still, for what it is, the games are solid, for the platform. Of course, "for the platform" is an important qualifier here; as always, the game has long load times, reduced animation when compared to the arcade games, and such. Otherwise they're fine versions of several great classic Street Fighter II versions. Arcade ports also on many other platforms.

Summon Night (J)
--
1 player, saves (1 block per file), Analog Gamepad supported. Summon Night 1 is the first game in what would be Flight-Plan's longest-running and most popular series of anime-styled RPG and strategy games. Indeed, even though developer Flight-Plan has shut down, the series is still alive. My first experience with the franchise was with the fantastic spinoff Summon Night: Swordcraft Story action-RPGs for the Game Boy Advance, but the main series that started with this game is a tactical strategy ("SRPG" as many [wrongly] call them) game series. The GBA games are some of my favorite games on that platform, but this main series probably isn't on that level, not least because it's not in a language I can understand much of; story and humor are always central to Summon Night games. Still, even as it is, it's a good game. Basically, Summon Night is a somewhat simpler, anime-styled variant on games like Final Fantasy Tactics. It's still plenty tough most of the time, though. Summon Night also looks good, sounds great, and plays fairly well. The game is entirely 2d, and the graphics are very good for the PS1; PS1 tactical strategy doesn't look much better than this. However, it isn't as deep or complex as a Tactics Ogre or FFT, in either gameplay or plot. I like this game quite a bit, but those who want their tactical strategy games FFT-dark might like it less. I much prefer Summon Night's 2d over the ugly 3d in FFT, though!

While most games in the franchise are set exclusively in the Summon Night fantasy world, in this first game you play as one of four Japanese high school students. First, you choose your character, either one of two girls or boys. All of the Summon Night games have multiple characters to play as or control, always of both genders, which is great. Then, the long intro cutscene begins. The game starts on Earth, and the choices you make in the Earth section determine which which familiar summon you get; if you know a bit of Japanese the GameFAQs guide will help you choose the one you want, otherwise just guess and get one. This is one of those game with lots of "visual novel-ish" cutscenes, that is, scenes with images of two characters on screen with a background as the characters talk to eachother. It's cheaper than fully-animated cutscene, important for a game with as much story as this one has. Think GBA Fire Emblem and such, here, except with a map where you can choose which people to talk to during the non-battle sections of the game instead of it all just being a long cutscene. Helpfully, all characters EXCEPT for your character are fully voiced. Knowing Japanese would be a huge help, of course, but with the voice acting for the other characters and the fairly straightforward tactical strategy gameplay, I haven't run into any major issues yet playing the game. The only challenge is that I have no idea what I'm saying in the times when I have to choose one of several dialog options, but oh well. Just go everywhere and wait through every conversation, and the game will show you where to go next. Battleas at the Event spots. Fortunately, there's a fair amount of English text on some menus and stats and the like, and also images of weapons. It's easy to figure out.

Also, even if it's not too complex, the game presents a challenge. The game may have a somewhat cute anime theme, but there's plenty of tough battles to be fought here. This is a standard isometric tactical strategy game, with characters that level up and the usual Tactics Ogre-inspired gameplay. Maps are 2d, not ugly 3d like FFT, which is nice. It's not my favorite kind of strategy game, but they're alright, and this is a fun one; I've never cared for Final Fantasy Tactics, but simpler ones like this or Vandal Hearts are fun. You can attack, use magic or skills, and use items, as usual. You can also switch between Defend (reduce damage when attacked) and Counter (counter-attack, but take more damage); this is the bottom option in each character's menu during battle. Unlike the later Summon Night games, it takes a while until you are given your summon companion and the ability to summon things, but you do eventually get both. I do prefer the later style of having a summon ally from the start, but this is the first game, they improved over time. As usual in the genre, you start out with only a few characters, but your party grows. Overall, Summon Night 1 is a good game. The game has a very good soundtrack, great 2d and 2d-isometric graphics, plenty of anime-style story and amusement to experience, and solid gameplay. It's well worth playing, great fun stuff! I only wish it was translated, I'm sure I'd like the story quite a bit. Someone needs to get to this series sometime! Also on Nintendo DS, ported there years later.

Summon Night 2 (J)
--
1 player, saves (1 block per file), Analog Gamepad supported. Summon Night 2 is very much like the first game, except with new characters and a new story. Otherwise, it's a sequel that doesn't stray far at all from the first games' formula, and I'm fine with that, it's based on a very good predecessor after all. Summon Night 2 has two playable characters, male or female; this would be how all subsequent games in the franchise go, only the first one has four. As in most of the Tales series, every Summon Night game has an entirely different cast; none bring back the same characters. The characters are also both from the fantasty world, not 'real' Japan, again something repeated in all following games. This is a two-disc game, so it's longer than the first game. Be prepared to wait through a lot of long conversations if you play this game! I expected that though, Summon Night games always have plenty of story. My first impression is that it's better than the first game. Summon Night 2 is very similar to its predecessor, but the formula is a bit refined and graphics and sound are even better. This really is a great-looking PS1 game; the PS1 Summon Night games look fantastic, about as good as most of those N1 tactical strategy games on the PS2 apart for not having 3d rotateable cameras. Of course N1's games (Disgaea, etc.) barely looked 6th gen, but still, this game looks nice, every thing is well drawn. I like the art style too; all Summon Night games have characters drawn by the same person, and it's a good anime art style. The anime video in the intro is high-quality, as well. I love the music too, this game sounds great!

As for the gameplay, it's pretty much the same, just with new characters, and that now you have your summon companion from right at the beginning of the game. You choose which of the four summon helpers you want in a choice early in the game; for those like me who can't read much of the text look at the manual to decide which you want, the first character of each name in the ingame list matches the one by their character portrait. In the first game which one you get is pretty much random if you can't read the text, so it's nice they made it simpler this time. Your summon companion will be your helper throughout the game, and a party member from the start as well. The four summons in each game always have very different personalities, so choose the one you want. This time there's a robot, a very quiet bunny-girl in a kimono, a little beast-boy? (not sure on the gender here?), and a brash demon boy. As before, all speech except for your characters' is fully voiced. Your character is a magician, and your first companion is a guy from the same school or whatever. As for the gameplay, it really is just like the previous game, except with two characters from the first battle and magic from the beginning as well. Those are two nice improvements, though I found I needed to use the magic well from the start, your characters are a bit fragile. I almost always prefer the mage characters in games, so I like this design. Overall, Summon Night 2 seems like a pretty good game. This later Playstation release, from 2001, shows what the PS1 can do with 2d graphics, and the gameplay is pretty good as well. It's not the most complex game, but there's enough here to keep me interested, for sure. The only real flaw with this game is that the whole, very long, script is all in Japanese. I want to play this game in English... please. It's playable in Japanese, but it'd be better for sure if I knew what they were saying. I quite like this franchise, and it's sad that only three of the games (two for GBA and one for DS) got localized, none of them tactical strategy games. The only English-language-release Flight-Plan tactical strategy game is Eternal Poison for the PS2, which I have not played. I would like to, though; it's not Summon Night, but looks interesting. Also available on the Nintendo DS, where it was ported years later.

Syphon Filter 2
--
2 player simultaneous, saves (3 blocks per file), Analog Gamepad supported. Syphon Filter 2 is the second game in this third-person shooter/stealth franchise from Sony. There are six main Syphon Filter games, three on PS1, one on PS2, and two on PS2 and PSP. This game has a main story mode and also two player versus play, though I've only tried it so far in single player. Syphon Filter 2 is an okay game, but it's a clumsy and flawed stealth game and is only okay as a shooter. The story is also convoluted and implausible. The game starts out assuming that the player has finished the first game; there's no real explanation for why what's going on is happening. I have the first game, but haven't gotten anywhere near the end. There should have been some backstory here. Apparently the Agency that Gabe and Lian were a part of in the first game is actually evil, created the Syphon Filter virus, and are willing to sell it to terrorists. It's up to you to stop them, because apparently no one else who knows about its existence believes that this secret government agency with its own private army that is trying to sell dangerous viruses to terrorists is actually a threat. Yeah, this is bad action movie plot stuff, for sure. This is a two-CD game because of all the prerendered cutscenes, but they don't look great. The voice acting is mostly awful, too. Sony's English voice acting in PS1 games is often bad, and this game is no exception. Gabe doesn't sound like he cares much about what's going on, or that it's a dangerous situation at all, even though this game is all about constant tension and fighting. You mostly play as Gabe, as in the first game, but play as Lian for some mostly stealth-focused segments. As a shooter, this game doesn't do a great job of telling you what you should be doing or where you should go. I got stuck repeatedly in the first level because of lacking instructions. The areas aren't too huge, but the game can be confusing anyway. Climbing on things, with Triangle by default, is important. Also don't always try to kill all the enemies, because in some areas they respawn seemingly infinitely, annoyingly. I hate that stuff.

The controls are okay, but could be a lot better. Targeting is automatic, which is good. One button switches targets. Switching weapons could be better, though; hitting Select changes weapons, or holding it opens a weapon wheel (switch with L2/R2). It takes longer than it should. Trying to hit enemies with melee-range weapons is one of the worst things about the controls in this game, as the attacks frequently aren't quite on target, and you'll probably die before you're able to try to attack again because it doesn't take many shots to take you down in this game. And as for stealth, there are no indications of where guards can see, unlike, say, Metal Gear Solid, so figuring out when you are visible and when you aren't is difficult, and this is one of the bad kinds of stealth games that has levels where if you are seen once by anyone you fail instantly, go back to the last checkpoint. Stealth in this game is pretty much trial and error, as is figuring out what to do in the shooting-focused rest of the game. Fortunately, checkpoints are fairly frequent, which is nice. This game would be very annoying without the frequent checkpoints, for sure, but it has them. There is an area map in the pause menu, which tells you where you are and objective markers. It's invaluable! I wish there was in ingame minimap too, that'd be great, but at least you can pause and see it. There is an ingame radar, but I find those somewhat useless compared to a map. Maps are awesome. Visually, Syphon Filter 2 looks fairly nice for the PS1. This is a later PS1 game, and it shows. There's some nice variety in the level settings as well. That voice acting should have been a lot better, though. Overall, Syphon Filter 2 is an okay third-person shooter with some confusing level designs and poor stealth, with required stealth segments. It's probably about as good as the first game, I guess.

Team Losi RC Racer

--
2 player simultaneous, saves (1 block), Analog Gamepad supported. Team Losi RC Racer is a sort of kart-ish RC car racing game. It's fairly average, but amusing for a little while. The game has okay graphics, varied course designs, weapons, and a hub world. It's also very easy and simplistic, but is fun for a little while anyway. The handling is arcadey, but the cars feel very light, like they should. Driving in this game is easy, though. It's probably good for the younger audience that this game was designed for. You choose an RC car, and then drive around the hub, choosing which challenges you want to face. It's a simple hub world of cooridors and portals, but it's nice that it's there. You can save in the hub as well, and also change modes. In addition to the main mode, the game also has multiplayer (two player only, unfortunately) and a time-trial mode. There's also an unlockable second, harder race mode, if you beat the first one. Timetrial mode is just for fun, though -- you won't unlock anything there. Too bad, time-trial challenges in racing games can be interesting and tough. The game starts out pretty easy, though. This game is licensed by an RC car company, and the game clearly was aimed at getting kids interested in their cars. As a result it's not surprising that the game is easy, but it is; don't expect much challenge from this game most of the time. You don't need to win races to move on, either; top three finishes are okay. You get powerups in this game by going through gates which litter the courses. Fitting with the over-simplified theme, you don't actually have to activate most of these; you get a powerup such as a speed boost, shield, etc. by going through a gate, and then it's swapped out with a different power when you go through another gate. So yeah, this is a simple game. The graphics can be decently nice for the PS1 sometimes, though. The game is usually smooth, but larger open surface areas can have some issues. Overall, Team Losi RC Racer is an insubstantial game, but it's not that bad. It's simple and average, and I don't know how many people today would actually find it all that interesting, but not actually bad. Zipping through a few races was kind of fun for a while.

Tiny Bullets (J)
--
1 player, saves (1 block per file). Tiny Bullets is an anime-style 3d action-adventure-platformer, in the vein of Tomb Raider and the like. It's from Sony, but sadly only released in Japan. Fortunately it's fairly import-friendly. This is a reasonably good game with a lot going for it, if you like this kind of game that is, but it is a product of its time. On the good side, the game is fun, looks reasonably nice, has some good puzzles, and is interesting to explore. On the bad side, it has no analog support for some bizarre reason (this was a 2000 release! There is no excuse!) and the camera is ... not good. Oh, and yes, of course you have tank controls. Yes, the controls and camera take getting used to, but that is true for most games like this in the 5th generation. Try to get used to it. In the game, you play as a boy with a sci-fi-anime styled outfit on who is out for adventure and treasure, but finds a lot more than he bargained for. So far the story is fairly conventional, but that's okay. I haven't finished the game, but I'm sure by the end he will save the day from the forces of evil... with nothing but his slingshot and various non-weapon items you pick up along the way. Yes, a slingshot is your ONLY weapon in this game. The "Tiny Bullets" in the title refers to slingstones, which you will collect various types of as you progress.

This is a linear game, but you'll need to do some exploring along the way. Areas are not large, but they feel bigger than they are thanks to the games' slow movement controls and complex multi-tier environments. A coup0le of hours into the game, I've already spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out where to go next. The level designs are clever, and you'll really need to use all of your moves in order to make your way forward. Fortunately, a controls card that comes with the game shows how to do all 16 move types. Use this as a reference, it's very helpful! It's got pictures of the action, and the buttons are listed below. You can jump, slide sideways, grab on to ledges (hold O while jumping), swing on poles, roll, slam the ground, and more. The controls aren't too complex once you learn them, though. The main issue I have is with attacking -- while holding R2, the "use slingshot' button, you CANNOT move, at all. While the enemies come right for you. Yes, attacking quickly and then moving out of the way is key in this game. Hold R2+L2 for first-person with the slingshot, because aiming without first-person is near-impossible, press X to attack (or O to change bullet type), let go and run. That's how you fight. It works, but is a bit clumsy. The exploration and puzzle solving are more fun than the combat for sure. Fortunately, they are better. As I said, the controls are slow and somewhat clumsy, but I had quite a bit of fun exploring the environments despite this. You get used to the handling, and environments are varied and look nice for the platform. Of course there's texture warping, but that's in every PS1 game.

I like the puzzles, too. One particularly clever one so far involved collecting four panels, then moving a spotlight in a side room to reveal what order the panels would have to put into their places on a pillar they go on. Remember your inventory, items like bombs and keys will need to be activated from the inventory. Not being able to read Japanese makes the game a little trickier, but it's not hard to figure out, and there's a great video playthrough of the game on Youtube if you get stuck. So far none of the puzzles involve language, though, so that's just for the impatient. Overall, Tiny Bullets is a solid game for the PS1. The game has definite control issues, but despite this is a solid, quality title well worth trying. It's too bad Sony didn't release it in the West.

Tiny Tank: Up Your Arsenal
--
1 player, saves (1 block), Analog Gamepad supported. Tiny Tank is a third-person vehicular tank combat game. Of the PS1 games in this genre that I have, I'd say that this game is better than Grudge Warriors, but worse than Steel Reign; BattleTanx Global Assault is somewhere in the middle there too (though the N64 BattleTanx games beat all of these). Tiny Tank has a humorous theme that reminds me quite a bit of the later 6th gen title Metal Arms. As in that game, you play as a machine in a humorously violent world. Your titular tiny tank moves quickly and is loaded with heavy weapons. You'll blow up a lot of enemies, but the world is loaded with silly video clips and voiced dialog as well. It's the future, and evil robots have, of course, taken over the world! You play as Tiny Tank, Earth's only hope... and the one who helped cause this whole mess. In 2098, Tiny Tank, an irreverent and cute little tank, was created as a PR device, to help convince humans to vote to allow Sentrex Corporation to build an army of robots. The idea sounded good, save human lives, but of course they decided to destroy their makers. Tiny Tank was no fan of the evil robots, though, and after being buried by them for 100 years, he's back to save the world, with the help of a robot satellite with a female voice that tells him what to do. The enemy robot tank wants to destroy the atmosphere, you see! All that oxygen rusts away at their hardware. Heh. The backstory cutscenes showing outtakes from Tiny Tank's PR videos promoting the robotic tank army are often funny, too. There is far more dialog during missions than in most games of this kind, but a lot of it is funny stuff. Tiny Tank's voice lines get repetitive sometimes, but it's great that they put in the effort to make this game funny.

The humor might actually be the best part of this game, but the gameplay's not too bad either. You've got an objective in each level, generally to destroy something. Levels vary in size and length. The first level took a while to get through, but the second is actually quite short. It's a bit odd, but the level designs are solid. The game presents a fair amount of challenge as well, which is good. Learning each mission might take a little while, but the good controls help. Tiny Tank controls great. You can zoom around quickly, and Tiny can flip sideways as well. Yes, this tank can sidestep! Tiny has a central cannon and two weapon-pod spots on the left and right of his tank. You can pick up different weapons on each side, and fire each of the three weapons separately. The game has good graphics and art design for the PS1 as well. The game is kind of simple, though; Tiny Tank doesn't have the depth of Steel Reign. I think the developers focused on comedy and blowing stuff up over a high challenge and more technical and complex levels. That's okay, and this is a godo game, but I do like Steel Reign even more. Still, Tiny Tank is definitely worth playing! It's fun stuff.

Turbo Prop Racing
--
2 player simultaneous, saves (1 block), Analog Gamepad supported. Turbo Prop Racing is an awful boat-racing game from Sony. The game seems to have gotten some okay reviews, but honestly I have no clue why, this is right down there in the very bottom tier of PS1 racing games that I own! Turbo Prop Racing is a really hard and average-looking game with suffocatingly narrow tracks which you'll pretty much need to memorize in order to do decently at at all and poor controls as well. It's nearly impossible to avoid hitting the walls constantly, and this game punishes you for it! It's ridiculous, and no fun. Analog doesn't help, either. The game has okay but mediocre graphics; environments are narrow and confining, but at least the game does actually does have waves instead of the flat water of many other PS1 water-racing games, but PS1 graphics can look a lot better than this, too. There are also only six courses. Overall, I quickly got frustrated at losing badly in this game, and don't think I want to put in the significant effort that getting better at the game would require. The mediocre graphics, average controls, and limited amount of content certainly don't make me want to actually play this game much, either. Awful. Avoid.

Tyco R/C: Assault With A Battery
--
2 player simultaneous, saves (1 block), Analog Gamepad support. Tyco R/C is another kart-styled racing game for the PS1. This is a decently fun but fairly average racing game. Tyco is a division of the big toymaker Mattel who make RC cars, among other things, so as expected this game is, sort of like Team Losi RC Racer, clearly aimed at kids in both their simple designs and in a definite lack of challenge. This game is perhaps a bit more fun than that one, though. Tyco RC isn't anything special, but it is amusing if you like arcadey kart combat racing games. Each track in the game has a unique setting, and the track designs are decent. They are quite simple, narrow tracks, but at least there are some obstacles to avoid, weapons or turbos to pick up, and such. The tracks often split into two close-by branches to go around obstacles and the like. The game has a solid sense of speed, which is nice. There isn't much to this game, though. It's just a basic, simple little arcadey racing game. Drive forward, avoid the obstacles, shoot at the baddies, and win. Winning won't be much of a challenge at all, but the game is somewhat fun to play anyway. The game has decent graphics with some nice Playstation visual effects and okay gameplay. This game is not too bad, maybe consider it if it's quite cheap.

The Unholy War
--
2 player simultaneous, saves (1 block), Analog Gamepad compatible. The Unholy War is a 3d fighting/strategy game from some of the developers of Archon, a classic '80s game with a similar concept but in 2d. Archon and its clones are great games, so I was interested to try this more modern update. The Unholy War may not be quite as great as Archon, but it is a fun, if imperfect, game. As in Archon, the game has a hex-based strategy map, but instead of watching a little animation, when two units fight, they actually fight in a battle arena, action game style. It's an interesting mix of action and strategy, and the concept works. The game has two modes, a battle mode where you just fight two teams against eachother without a strategy map, or the main strategy/action game. This is a fantasy/sci-fi game, with a mostly Technos machine race of what seems to be humanity invading an alien world. You can play as either side, either the Arcane aliens, who have lizardman priests, fire spirits, and the like, or the robots (and a few humans). The character designs are varied and unique, and are mostly pretty good even if the polygon graphics are jittery and pixelated. There are seven different unit types per side, and each one controls completely differently in battle.

The first major hurdle with this game is learning the characters, because it will take a while to get good with each one. Some can fly, others can only walk and jump. Each of the 14 characters has three different attacks as well. You jump with X, and attack with the other three face buttons. Each attack uses a bit of power in a meter which refills when you're standing still on the ground. The stronger abilities use more meter than the more basic ones, of course, but each character is different. There is definite overlap between characters, but each is distinct enough to not be quite the same as any other. All have some kind of ranged attack, but how far they can attack varies widely. The units are not entirely balanced -- some are stronger than others. Archon was inspired by chess, but with fighting, and this still has some of that concept. Some units are definitely a lot better against others, such as using flying units against that quite strong rhino-like monster on the Arcane side. There are also a bunch of different battle arenas, and which one you fight on depends on the tile that the defending unit is standing on. The more intricate stages can be frustrating with some units, but this encourages you to use the best unit in each situation. The controls aren't the best, though. The game controls okay, but compared to Custom Robo, a somewhat similar game in battle, The Unholy War controls worse and isn't as fun to play. Combat here isn't nearly as polished as it is in that game, though it can be fun.

Unlike Archon, The Unholy War has a resource-gathering component. Certain tiles on the map will give you AUN, the games' magical resource. You can then use it to buy units at your base tile. You can then place units on the six hexes surrounding your base. You win when all enemy units are destroyed, or vice versa. In the main campaign mode you don't get the ability to buy units until the third of the 12 levels in the campaign, but from that point on holding those control points is vital. Still, only basic strategy is actually needed in this game; don't expect Advance Wars here, or something, you won't find it. Also, oo far the AI seems better at fighting in battles than strategizing on the map, but I'm sure it gets harder later, and there is also a Hard difficulty I haven't tried. Also, the AI really can be tough in battles, and it's easy to lose units. Victory is never gauranteed. Overall, I like the gameplay, combat, and art design, but the control issues, basic strategy, occasionally questionable AI, and mediocre graphics hold it back some. Still, it's more good than bad for sure. I like The Unholy War. It's definitely a good game, and an interesting update to a classic.

Van-Gale: The War of Neo-Century (J)
--
2 player simultaneous, saves (1 block). Vangale is a quite unique 3d ... fighting rail shooter game, I guess? Basically, this game is a 1-on-1 versus fighter, except it controls a lot more like a rail shooter or perhaps somewhat Virtual-On-inspired thing than it does a traditional fighting game. You can move all over the screen in this game, you see, while you shoot at the opponents' giant robot. First, choose one of the eight giant robots available. Each one has a pilot, or by holding Triangle you can use the alternate pilot that you'd normally only see when one robot fights itself. Seven of teh eight base pilots are male, but both alternate ones are female. As the name suggests the pilots are broken up into two teams, so in a single-player game you can switch characters, but only between the four robots on your "side", and can only use your "side"'s alternate pilot. For whatever reason you fight all eight in each game anyway, though, maybe just to pad things out to a full game length. Oddly, you can only switch characters at the main menu, so if you want to change, you have to NOT continue after getting a game over. The game will then autosave and then quit. Choose to load game, then choose a pilot (from the current side only), and you're back to the round you were at. It's a bit unintuitive, but it does work.

Once the game begins, you can move around the screen with the d-pad, as in any rail shooter or flying game. You can't actually move forwards or back, really, though; this isn't a flight game, just a hovering game, basically. When you move it moves both your ship and targeting cursor together; you can't control the two separately, so control can be tricky. The Dodge button (default R1) will move you around your opponent to the sides, but you can't move forward or back, while your opponent sometimes will charge you. I wish I could do that too, unless you can and I couldn't figure out how. Ah well. On the face buttons, You have two attack buttons and a shield. ONe attack button fires your main gun; this fires at the targeting cursor's location. The other attack button fires a homing attack at the enemy, if you locked on by passing the cursor over the enemy's mech. The shield blocks, of course. Its use is limited by a meter at the bottom of the screen. While it starts out easy, Vangale on the default setting (3 out of 4) is a very difficult game. It's also a bit frustrating, though. I REALLY wish that this game had analog control support, because aiming in 3d with dpad-only controls is not great. I often thought I was going to hit the enemy, but then it missed. Some way to lock movement and move the cursor without moving your ship, or something like that, would also have been nice. Also, perhaps an internal camera option? It can be very difficult sometimes to see what I'm aiming at, because my mech is often in the way! Vangale plays from a fixed perspective behind your mech. As for the multiplayer, it is, as it has to be, splitscreen. It works. Still though, this is a fun game, and I like it. Vangale is quite obscure, but this is another one of those obscure Playstation games that is definitely worth checking out. There are only eight characters, and the controls could have used some improvement, but the beginnings of a good games are here. I like rail shooters and fighting games, and this game is an interesting mix of both. Check it out.

VMX Racing
--
2 player, saves (1 block), Analog Gamepad support. VMX is an amusingly awful dirtbike motorcycle racing game which got absolutely atrocious scores back when it released in 1996. I can see why, but this game was easily worth the dollar I paid for it anyway. This is one of those games that I find entertainingly bad. First, the graphics are AWFUL, but they are at least fast and mostly smooth! Sure, this game is comically badly pixelated and ugly, but the sense of speed is great. I like how fast the game feels. VMX Racing has simple, decent arcade racing game control and handling, and is simple and easy to play -- that "ultra realistic gameplay" line on the back of the case is a complete lie. What the game is, however, is near-impossibly difficult thanks to a few key serious design flaws. VMX Racing has six tracks, plus three bonus courses you can unlock if you're good enough. You can play a single track, play pairs of two tracks of similar theme, or play all six tracks in a points championship. There are two difficulty levels, called "125cc" and "250cc" even though your speed is the same either way; cc means engine size, you should have jus called them Easy and Hard since actually the engines are the same speed in either one! Anyway, 250 is way too hard to be worth bothering with unless you REALLY want to obsessively memorize this game. Why? Because while the first two tracks, in large stadiums, are doable, the other four tracks are an absolute NIGHTMARE of constant crashing. The key design flaw here is that if your bike so much as TOUCHES any land off of the actual dirt of the track or its sidebar, you crash, instantly. Yes, one blade of grass sends you into an instant crash; it's not like dirtbikes can travel through grass or anything, right? And the tracks are narrow in this game, too! Each track is a long, narrow winding minefield, essentially. If you go off the track you are instantly reset onto it, and will be up to full speed in an instant because this is a quite arcadey game, but crashes often come in twos or fours, and I quickly fell behind on most of the tracks, though a few are easier. Memorization will be absolutely essential here, if you actually want to try to master the game. The game kind of reminds me of a linescroll-style racing game in its simplicity of design and absolute focus on turns and not going off the track. But most linescroll racers aren't quite THIS hard. It's such a crazy-unfair game, I wonder how it actually shipped like this. Oh, as for the controls, even though there's no Analog Gamepad logo on the back the analog stick works in the game, so I used it. I'm not sure how analog it actually is, but the PS1 isn't the Saturn, games never use analog sticks on PS1 unless they were designed for them. It seems maybe slightly better than playing with the d-pad. Overall, this is a pretty bad game, but might be fun for a laugh for an hour sometime, so if you see it for a dollar as I did and like racing games, sure, pick it up.

VR Sports Powerboat Racing

--
2 player simultaneous, saves (1 block), neGcon supported. Interplay's VR Sports Powerboat Racing is another terrible boat racing game on the PS1. Between this and Turbo Prop Racing I'm not sure which is worse, but both are quite abysmal. However, I think this is slightly less broken than the PC version of VR Sports Powerboat Racing, so there is that. Powerboat Racing is a speedboat racing game. The game has 9 tracks about about as many boats. The tracks are all frustratingly narrow; it will take practice to not bounce off of the walls far too often. Environments are all small and constricted by nearby walls, of course. A lot of early PS1/Saturn racing games do these things, probably because of memory limitation problems from developers who didn't know how to really program for 5th gen consoles (yet). I do like that most tracks have a shortcut, and the track settings do vary, but there isn't much else good to say about the course designs. The tracks curve around blandly, and are of average length, about a minute per lap. The game is full of jumps, but this is more bad than good -- it's hard to not go underwater after jumps, and this slows you down, annoyingly. Try to learn how to avoid this, but it's frustrating. This game doesn't control very well, either. If you use analog controls, the overly precise controls are a pain to get right even if you use a wheel, and forget about the Interact Performance Gamepad -- it works, but the handling is so touchy that a single tap of the stick sends you flying into the wall. In digital mode the boats are slightly more controllable, but only slightly. It's still hard at times to make turns without turning too much or too little. Graphically, this looks like an early PS1 game, perhaps even more dated than its 1997 release date would suggest. One thing I do like is that the water-spray your boats kick up as they turn is transparent. On the PC the water-spray is solid blue, which makes it near-impossible to see while you're turning in the third person camera. The PS1 version of the game is better for this reason alone! The small environments do the game no favors though, and the boats are small and angular and all look similar. The music is there, but forgettable. For content, the game has three cups, which you do in several difficulty levels. You start with monohull boats, and eventually unlock twin-hulls if you finish in the top three in the first three circuits without quitting the game forever first. That second part will be the tougher challenge, honestly. This game is probably about average in challenge for a simple little arcadey racer like it is, but it's bad, ugly, and gets boring fast. Overall, I got this game because I was interested in seeing how it compared to the terrible PC version of the game. Thanks to transparent water-spray this version is a little bit better than that one, but unfortunately it's still an atrocious game no one should actually buy. I like Interplay, but this is one of their worst games I that own. At least it was only fifty cents... Also on PC.

Wild ARMs

--
1 player, saves (1 block per file). Wild Arms is a JRPG, and the first game in a series that would run for almost a decade. This game is a pretty good traditional Japanese RPG with beautiful, somewhat SNES-esque 2d maps and some somewhat ugly chibi-style 3d polygon battle screens. I love the town and dungeon graphics, this is a great-looking game. There are little animated elements all around, pushing the game beyond what the SNES could do. The way when you walk into a building the roof vanishes and most buildings are seamlessly part of the map is also really cool, it's such a cool look! I wish the battles were also fought on the game world... ah well. The somewhat wild-west-styled music is fantastic in both battles and the main world, as well. It's one of the standout features of this game. This is a good game, but the battles do hold it back; I like everything about this game except for the battles, which are extremely simplistic and look ugly. Of course, since this is an RPG you'll be fighting a lot. Ah well. At least the game does have some variety, and a decent, if mostly cliche, story.

Wild Arms has a sci-fi fantasy/wild west anime setting, which is interesting. The game is set on a slowly dying world, a thousand years after a war with demons destroyed the planet's ecosystem. The demons are returning, and it's up to three heroes to save the world. Interestingly, at the beginning of the game, you play short intro sequences with each of the characters, before they meet together to begin the main adventure. The three intros are about equal in length, and you have to play through all three. Of course, the main character is a teenage boy with the special ability to use ARMs, powerful guns from the past, but this game, and the next two Wild Arms games as well, sort of de-emphasize the main character, since you also play intros with the other characters that are just as long as the main characters' is, and you can switch between the three characters at any time. That's great, I always like it when JRPGs let you do that. I like not having to play as generic JRPG protagonist guy all the time. The other two characters are a 20-something adventurer and the princess of the kingdom that inevitably gets attacked by demons early in the game (so they have a quest to do). She has special powers, of course. You name all three of them; this game has no voice acting. The setting is interesting, but the story so far is fairly predictable, as of course the demons attack, the heroes do some really stupid things that "unintentionally" help the demons, even though I as I was playing knew something bad would happen if we did these things, and they should have had at least some clues too. Yeah, that stuff is annoying, they should have known better. I know, some of it is the game meeting genre stereotypes, but still, it feels somewhat contrived at times. Despite that, the writing is decent, characters somewhat intresting, and I do like the world, so I found myself getting into this game even if the story is predictable so far. Cliche isn't bad if it's a well-done cliche, and this game accomplishes that. The world feels mostly like your standard Japanese fantasy setting, but with some Wild West touches here and there, and plenty of anime stylings. It's kind of odd, but does work, even if the idea of big castles still being important in a world with guns is kind of nonsense.

As in most JRPGs, this game has an overworld map, towns or dungeons, and battles. The overworld is a mediocre-looking 2d overhead world, but the town and dungeon areas look great, as I said. As you explore the dungeons, the game does have some puzzles, which is great; it makes the game more interesting for sure. Characters also have special abilities that are used solely for puzzle solving. It's always great to see puzzles in JRPG dungeons, they are sadly uncommon. There are no maps in towns or dungeons, though, and you don't even have an overworld map at the beginning. As a result, navigating is frustrating; I really, really consider maps important in games with anything mazelike in them, but this game has some somewhat mazelike elements, but no maps. Why did it take JRPGs until the '00s before maps FINALLY started becoming somewhat common? I wish it'd happened at least a decade earlier, they were needed! Argh, the absence of ingame maps really hurts a lot of JRPGs in this generation and earlier, for me. I highly doubt Skies of Arcadia would be my favorite JRPG ever if it hadn't had ingame mapping. Of course, this game has mostly random battles, as well. The game starts out easy, but if that means less grinding, that's not all bad. There isn't much to fights here. This is one of those boring average JRPG battle systems where two lines of chracters take turns whacking on eachother; I prefer more interesting battle systems. Characters take turns based on their speed ratings within each turn. You can attack, use your characters' magic for the adventurer and princess or ARMs for the other guy), defend, use items, or use special abilities each character has. These abilities rely on a meter that builds up during each battle. I like meter systems in RPGs, but each character only has 4 abilities max and start with only one, so there's not as much variety here as in some games, and early on using these abilities isn't needed too often. Magic, for the two characters that have it, is a compeltely standard magic points system, though the way you get spells and stat ups is a bit unique. Instead of just being given spells for the princess as you go, you will have to find items that allow you to make another spell to add to your repitoire at magic shops, and also items that give you stat ups. So, while the quest is linear, the game encourages exploration and puzzle-solving while you are playing, which is nice, though it'd be nicer if that didn't mean more random battles. In magic shops, you can choose which of the games' 32 spells, 16 each for Light and Dark, you want to have. You can choose any spell at any time, but at the beginning of the game can only have a couple of spells, so choose wisely. I like this strategic element, it adds to the game.

Overall, Wild ARMs is a good traditional RPG, well worth playing for anyone who likes a more SNES-style 5th-gen RPG. The battles may be 3d, but the rest of the game isn't. I do like the 2d parts of the graphics, the great soundtrack, and the adventure, story, and puzzle elements a lot more than I do the combat, both in its ugly 3d graphics and bland gameplay, but despite this, occasional wandering because the game is not always clear enough about where you should be going, and the repetitive nature of dungeon-exploring in this kind of game, I definitely do like this game, and will play it more. Wild ARMs also has a remake on the PS2, Wild Arms: Alter Code F, which I haven't played. I have played some of Wild Arms 3, which is okay to good, and 5, which seems not that great, on the PS2.

Witch of Salzburg, The (J)
--
1 player, saves (1 block). The Witch of Salzburg is a creepy adventure game from System Sacom, a studio who made many adventure games in the mid to late '90s. They developed The Mansion of Hidden Souls games for Sega CD and Saturn and also Lunacy for Saturn. Those three games are all also horror-themed adventure games, except they had US releases, while this game is Japan-only and thus quite hard to figure out -- there's almost nothing online about this game in English. In this game, set in the present day of 1997, a group of Japanese people (seven men and a woman, I believe; not sure on if one is male or female) are visiting a creepy castle in Salzburg, Germany, where some awful things happened back in the 1500s. Back then, a beautiful but picked-on woman killed another woman who was supposedly a witch. She was locked up to be burned at the stake as a witch herself, but mysterious things apparently are still happening in the castle. Naturally, given the genre, the characters won't all survive this adventure, that's for sure. You play as a young guy, and will have to figure out what is going on. The Witch of Salzburg mostly uses a top-down perspective, with you moving around a somewhat ugly-looking polygon model of your character in CG-rendered environments, instead of those other games' Myst-esque first-person, all-CG-rendered design styles. There are some first-person areas, and plenty of CG-rendered cutscenes just as in those other games, but most of the game is third person. As in Lunacy, there is a helpful map of the castle that the game takes place in in the manual, so refer to it if you forget where something is. Character control isn't great; it's too bad there is no analog support. This is NOT a survival horror game, though, so you have direct control, not tank controls, and there is no combat here, just exploration, conversations, more conversations, and some item puzzles. You'll make choices during conversations sometimes, though I of course don't know what I'm choosing. This game has absolutely no voice acting; it's text-only, unfortunately. Yes, the biggest issue here is figuring out what you're supposed to be doing if you can't read the language. The castle is not hugely large, and what you can actually interact with is for the most part limited in a way that reminds me of those other System Sacom games, but still, constantly wandering around randomly gets old. Figuring out how to save your game is also tricky; I'm still not really sure how that works. And the polygon parts of the graphics, and also the controls, aren't great either. Still, this is an interesting game. I love the artistic cover on the game manual, for one thing, and as always in their games this game has a great sense of atmosphere, something that was one of the top strengths of their US-released games I listed as well. And while actually playing the game is tedious, particularly if you can't read the language, it's not bad. The Witch of Salzburg is an okay game for sure, worth a look if you like this kind of game.

Wonder Trek (J) [aka Wander Trek]

--
1 player, saves (1 block per file), Analog Gamepad supported. Wonder Trek is another extremely obscure title from Sony that I can find nothing about in English online. Yes, it's another interesting title we should have seen that Sony published but left only in Japan for no good reason. So, what is Wonder Trek? It's an isometric 3d action-adventure-platformer, essentially. You play as a young adventurer stranded in the jungle when your airplane went down. Along with your old man professor companion, you're on a, um, wonderous trek through the jungle, I guess. I don't know what the story is beyond that, it's in Japanese and isn't clear. Graphically Wonder Trek reminds me a bit of Grandia, as the game plays from an overhead-isometric perspective and has sprite-based characters in 3d worlds made up of both sprite and polygonal elements. It actually looks pretty nice, the style works well.

Wonder Trek has several basic elements, including combat, platforming, story, and exploration. I can't say where this game goes because I'm still early in it, but you start out in a jungle, and all of the enemies are animals, bugs, and the like -- no monsters so far, so I guess they're going for a slightly "realistic" theme here. However, that only goes so far; that giant pirahna plant boss sure isn't too realistic! Heh. Nor are the platform-jumping challenges, of course. So yes, it's a videogame. in the game, you can go around, run or walk with R1 and R2 (the analog stick works, but not for speed control), and jump and attack with face buttons. Control responsiveness isn't great, unfortunately. Hold down Jump while climbing onto things in order to climb up. Watch out, because you DO take fall damage, and platforming in isometric worlds such as this one is always difficult; as usual in isometric games, I found myself missing jumps sometimes because of the perspective. Ah well. Your guy attacks with a giant hammer. It looks like one of those silly squeeky-hammers, for a somewhat comedic touch. Defeated enemies stay gone, which is nice. This game definitely is trying to have some humor in it; I wish it was in English! That would help a lot for the gameplay, too, because this game is somewhat non-linear. From your starting base camp you can go in a bunch of different directions, and only with trial and error will you find your way through this game if, like me, you can't figure out much of what's being said. There's no help I can find for this game in English online, either. Too bad.

At least the game is playable, though, if you don't mind some annoying wandering. The actual gameplay is simple enough, and combat, exploration, platforming, and basic puzzles don't require language. In the pause menu items have pictures as well as text, which is helpful. The Feather items are required to save, so saves are limited -- this confused me at first, but you save by using feathers (Use being the default option, on the left, after you select an item). Each save uses the feather. The game does have save anywhere, and it really does save your location, which is great, but the limited saves could be a challenge later on. Oh, Using the sketchbook lets you load a game. Another thing to know is that you only have one life in this game. If you run out of health, or fall in a bottomless pit (in the waterfall-ride sequence, for example), you're dead. Game over, load your last save. Combine this with the limited saves, and this game definitely can be a challenge, in a bad way. The game is reasonably fun to play, though. Wonder Trek is far from great, but it's a good game. The game has an interesting world to explore, decent combat and platforming, nice graphics, and more. I do wish that the game had been released in English (particularly for telling me where I should be going next, I'm sure it does this in Japanese to at least some extent), had unlimited saves, and controlled better, but even so, Wonder Trek is a good game definitely worth checking out. This game shouldn't be as obscure as it is.

WWF In Your House

--
4 player simultaneous (with multitap). WWF In Your House is a fighting game with digitized sprites. This game is essentially Acclaim's attempt at a sequel to WWF: The Arcade Game, a popular Midway arcade game that Acclaim ported to home consoles in '95. This game released a year later, and is very similar just with new characters (10 in total, ~3 of whom appear in the first game), slightly better graphics (apparently), new stage backgrounds, four player play, and much lower review scores. As in that game, this really is a fighting game, not a wrestling game. You win by draining your opponent's health bar, and win two rounds to take the match. I have always disliked wrestling and know pretty much nothing about how to play wrestling games, but this one is easy to play; button mashing will get you far, and beyond that the game has some basic special moves, Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat-style. Yes, there are projectile attacks and the like. The game is isometric 3d, though, so unlike those games this one doesn't play on a flat plane; instead, you will wander around the ring. I haven't played WWF: The Arcade Game, but if it's like this, it'd probably be amusing for a few minutes, I guess. This definitely isn't a good game at all, but it could be mindlessly amusing. I don't know why the game scores so much lower than the first one, but it does have issues. First, there is absolutely no music in this game! Supposedly the PC version has music, but on PS1 there's nothing. There are (mediocre) sound effects, and occasional not-great-sounding voice samples, but no music at all ever. How odd! Graphically, the game is pixelated and pretty ugly looking. The game also doesn't support saving, so there won't be any scores, versus records, or anything recorded. The game is probably too simplistic, too. Fights are messy and feel kind of random, without the precision of the better fighting games. The '3d' depth element probably adds to this. This is a simplistic game, and I highly doubt it'd have much staying power. And the digitized sprites don't look great, either; it's kind of hard to tell who the characters are, for those of these guys who I do actually recognize. This game is far too easy on the default setting, too, but it will at least provide a challenge on Hard. Still, the first time I played the game, playing on Normal, I beat the first championship without losing a match! That probably shouldn't happen. There are three championships to choose from, each harder than the last, but still. Overall, this game is bad, but might be amusing for a group in four player mode. Also on PC and Saturn. The Saturn version is supposed to run worse than the PS1 one does. The PC might have music.

XS Junior League DodgeBall
--
2 player simultaneous, saves (1 block). XS Junior League Dodgeball is an anime-styled dodgeball game released very late in the PS1's life. The gamplay here is, as usual in dodgeball games, copied straight out of that popular NES/etc. title Super Dodge Ball. I've never been a big fan of Super Dodgeball, but it's decent fun I suppose. This game isn't as good as the real thing, but it's alright, kind of amusing for a little while. This is a 5-on-5 arcade-style dodgeball game. You try to throw the ball at the other plaers and hit them without them catching it. When on defense, you want to try to catch the ball as it's thrown at you. Fail and the character hit takes damage; take enough and they get knocked out, though knocked-out players can still help from the sidelines. It's a fun arcadey game with solid 2d sprite art for the characters. The game plays okay, but is quite content-light. There's a basic tournament to play through where you choose a team and face all the other handful of teams, single matches, two player multiplayer, and that's pretty much it. The game has very little replay value, unless you really like this kind of game. There is one odd thing about this game, though: this game was changed from its original Japanese release. The Japanese version is an all-girl dodgeball game, with no male characters. For the US version, however, half of the characters have been turned into guys (Too bad... :p). Amusingly, even though everyone's in Japanese school uniforms, they have American names and are supposedly "American". Yeah, right. But hey, on the positive side, this is an XS Games PS1 localization release which they actually didn't remove saving from, so hey, it's not all bad! Overall this game is okay, but not that great. Genre fans probably will be amused, but I just don't care as much for Super Dodgeball and its clones as some do.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Monster Capsule Breed & Battle (J)
--
2 player (alternating versus), saves (1 block). This is a weird one. This game is my only disc-only import PS1 game, and it's not one I got on its own, but I ended up with a copy so I'll cover it. This game, from 1998, is the first Yugioh game, but it's not a card-battle game like I expected. Instead, this game is Capsule Monster Chess, a game from the Yugioh manga apparently, in videogame form, combined with a Tamagochi or Chao-style monster-raising game. So, there are two main parts to this game, monster raising, and fighting Capsule Monster Chess battles. You can raise six monsters, which is also the number you use in battle. You can play with a default team, or raise your own. With the default team I find winning nearly impossible; the first opponent's monsters are better than mine, I can't win. This is part-RPG, not only a strategy game unfortunately. As in chess, different monster types move in different ways, either diagonally only, horizontally or vertically only, only one space, chess knight L-shaped moves, and such. You don't just take enemies by landing on them though, you have to fight. A monster can attack only enemies next to them in the four cardinal directions, so there are no diagonal attacks even though many units can move diagonally. You can also merge monsters during battle to try to create a new monster via monster fusion. You'll have one less monster, but it will be stronger if you fuse the right ones. Monsters also each have a special ability, some innate and others you can use during battle. Each of the five+1 monsters on your team have a level and RPG-style hit points and attacks, so it's not exactly chess, it's a strategy-RPG with chess-based movement for the characters. I wish it was just a strategy game, that would be fun. In order to win, you need to hit the other players' Golden Egg five times. The Egg can only move one space and cannot attack, so it is very vulnerable. At the beginning of battle, one of your team's six monsters is randomly selected to be made into the egg; this is annoying, you can easily have a good monster sealed away useless. Five hits and the egg cracks and the other player wins. As in chess each player only gets one move per turn, so you have to choose carefully what to do each turn. Apart from the ridiculous difficulty with the default team (I got tired of trying after losing five or six times straight in the first match...), Capsule Monster Chess seems like it could be fun. However...

However, I don't like monster-raising games at all. This kind of simple virtual-pet simulator just isn't the kind of thing that has ever held my attention; I've never cared for The Sims, struggled to hold any interest in my Chaos in the Sonic Adventure games, and never was interested enough in Tamagochi to actually try one. I love some actual pets (cats are the best!), but these virtual things are not the same at all. Here you can put different objects in the arenas, try to match the egg type to the right arena type, give them food and toys, and such, to try to improve their stats and such. I presume that if I raise my team well enough I'll be able to use those monsters in battle and actually win matches, but I find these games far too boring to want to try for long. There are apparently 103 total possible monsters you can raise, but you start with only a few. yugioh.wikia.com has a list of all the monsters in the game with translations for their special abilities, which is nice, but it doesn't say how to create them via fusions, or any suggestions for monster raising, unfortunately. I can't find anything else out there about this game in English. So yes, there is a definite language barrier here; battle is straightforward, but all options in the monser-raising mode are in Japanese, and while I did figure out the basics after a little while, I'm sure a translation would be helpful. I'm sure I'm missing some of the things the game explains. You can also look at the monsters you have unlocked, delete monsters from the six you're raising, play a versus game, and change the (Japanese-language) options. As for the Yugioh element, Monster Capture Breed & Battle does have appearances by some of the Yugioh characters, and apparently does follow part of the story from early in the manga if you play the story mode and actually win battles, but otherwise is only loosely related to the card-game franchise most people know the series for. Overall, this game is only for pet (monster)-raising game fans who also want to play an okay strategy game with those same monsters. I find trying to raise the monsters too boring to want to build up a competent team for the potentially fun strategy game, so I don't like this game much, unfortunately. That's too bad, because the strategy game on its own is probably the most interesting thing in either PS1 Yugioh game, for me. But the rest of this really holds it back.

*Yu-Gi-Oh! Forbidden Memories
--
2 player (alternating), saves (1 block). Yugioh: Forbidden Memories is a digital card game based on the popular card game, manga, and anime franchise of the same name. This game released after the first anime series, but before the 2001 series that is the popular one that I (and most people) know. I got this game as one of my first PS1 games back in 2006 because it was cheap and I'd watched the first anime (dub) and found it entertaining at the time, but never have played this game all that much because it's frustrating, obtuse, and not that great. While in the anime the constant ridiculous saves by Yugi just happening to get the exact right card at the exact right time which just happens to combine with other cards he has put down to make some awesome combo attack, in a game like this you're pretty much at the mercy of the random-number generator and game guides, and it's not nearly as fun. In addition, the game doesn't tell you what most cards can do. In many digital card games, the cards describe all of their functions on the card. Not Yugioh. The game is also simplistic, probably too much so; Yugioh is not a deep game. Artificially increasing the challenge by not telling you vital things isn't good. Combination attacks and card fusions are critical, and hidden; you need to know how the cards can combine or you'll lose a lot. Before playing, go read some FAQs to learn that stuff. I hate this kind of "hide vital information from the player" game design! It's terrible in any kind of game.

For gameplay, despite owning this game for so long, and watching most of the first anime series, I never tried to learn how to play the game. Looking at it though, it's basic stuff. With luck, a good deck, and knowledge of cards' secret abilities and combinations, you will win. This isn't a movement-based card strategy/RPG game as Phantasy Star III (Gamecube) or End Sector (PS1) are; it's simple stuff. You place cards on the five spaces you have to play cards on in the field, and then choose to attack with them, or fuse or combo-attack with them if you happen to have the correct card configuration played. Some cards will get attack/defense bonuses based on what type of card the other one is and perhaps also the card sign you chose, so learn that stuff too. You can play cards face-up or face-down, if you don't want the opponent to know what card you have played. You can also play cards forewards or sideways, for offense or defense focus; when sideways you can't attack with a card, but its Defense number will be used when cards attack it instead of Offense, useful for cards with higher Def than Attack. You can rotate cards during your turn. Each card has an attack and defense value on the card. There are also Magic cards wtih specific effects; these, thankfully, are explained on their cards. Naturally, you start the game with weaker cards, and will have to win or fuse better cards by beating opponents and reading a guide to learn what cards you need to combine to get better ones. I've never been a collectable card game fan, but do like the more strategy-game-style gameplay in PSO III. This isn't like that, and I find it less interesting. It's okay, but I don't know if I'm interested enough to want to get past the learning curve.

Visually, the game is a mixture of 2d and 3d. Story scenes and cards are 2d, but the board and map are polygonal 3d. It looks average. Audio is average, and there's no voice acting. The main mode here is a story mode going through part of the series' story. It begins with a prequel chapter in ancient Egypt, telling the story of how the Pharaoh got stuck inside of the powerful magic item, the Millenium Puzzle. Then it continues to the present day, and Yugi's journey towards becoming the luckiest card game player ever. Of course, here, card games are serious business! Along the way you can make choices, and what you choose will depend on who you fight. There are apparently 40 total matches, but you can skip lots of them if you want by choosing some of the options. Of course, this will get you fewer chances to get cards. Make sure to save between matches, if you lose it's game over. The game can be unfair, and apparently enemies don't always exactly follow the same rules as they should in the card game, so using a guide for suggestions about what cards you should use in battles is a good idea. In addition to story mode, there is also card trading and a bad versus mode. Here two people, each with a deck in a separate save file (the same save file cannot play against itself, for some reason), can play Yugioh, but with not much actually displayed on screen so you can't see eachothers' hands; it's hard to play wnen you probably don't know what your cards are! Last is the Option menu. "Option" here is singular because there is only one option here, Stereo or Mono sound. Yeah, that's it. It'd have been nice to have more choices. Overall, I really wish this game actually told you how to play the game. Expecting players to know how to play before being able to get anywhere is bad design! And apparently the fusion stuff is exclusive to this game, and isn't even in the card game, so a guide really is needed. This much memorization should not be required for a game like this. And even beyond that, this game really is probably a bit too simple; luck and your deck matter more than skill, it seems. This is an okay game, but flawed. Overall, even considering the language barrier, I find End Sector more fun, less obtuse, and more strategically interesting.

Zeiram Zone (J)
--
1 player. Zeiram Zone is an okay early beat 'em up based on the Iria / Zeiram franchise from the '90s, which included several live-action movies and a 6-episode OVA anime series. I like the anime, but the movies aren't as good. This game isn't great either, unfortunately. It's kind of fun, but can be frustrating and is bland, ugly, and dated as well. From what I've seen of it, the SNES Iria platformer is better than this game. Still, it's not all bad. In this game, you play as Iria, as expected. Iria is a bounty hunter from space, and as usual she is hunting the near-invincible monster, Zeiram. Short CG cutscenes between each level tell the story as Iria and her computer helper Bob look for Zeiram. The Japanese voice acting in those cutscenes is the only Japanese in the game, so there's no real language barrier here; the story is simple and gameplay straightforward once you figure it out. Before you get to Zeiram, though, you'll need to beat your way through numerous weaker monsters. This game is a 2.5d beat 'em up, basically. You're on a flat plane in a 3d environment, but can switch between two planes in order to fight enemies and dodge obstacles. There are only ever two in normal stages, but many boss fights open things up further, allowing you to rotate around the enemy by repeatedly switching planes. Iria has two punch and two kick attacks and also a block button, and some Street Fighter-style moves can also be done for added variety. That's a nice touch, many beat 'em ups do not have them.

The game is fun for the first two levels, but then gets frustrating. The third level introduces some mazelike segments where you have to dodge large moving blocks by switching planes at the perfect times. The problem is, you will lose a LOT of health if you mess up and get hit, and this game has limited continues! Yes, you only get five tries before it's back to the beginning, and there's no saving in this game either. Iria has a health bar, and there are powerups that refill your health, but you only get one life per continue, and those blocks will drain it fast. The bosses in level 3 are hard as well; it's easy to get to level 3 without losing much health, and then lose all your continues in that one level. Argh. As for the graphics and sound, this game definitely looks like the 1996 release it is. Environments are low-detail, and textures are not too good. Iria's model is decent, though, and the monsters are varied and do resemble the weird foes of the anime. Still, the graphics aren't great. The CG cutscenes also don't look very good; is that really the best they could do at a CGI Iria model? She doesn't look quite right. As for music, it's decent. Not memorable, but it fits the game. Overall, Zeiram Zone is an okay but average beat 'em up. It's worth playing for Iria or side-scrolling beat 'em up fans, probably, if you don't expect too much from it.

Zoop
--
1 player. Zoop is a puzzle game that was released on a lot of platforms. I also have the SNES version of the game. This PS1 version is pretty much the same game, except with better graphics, as you might expect. This is an early PS1 game in one of those great longbox cases, and it is a good game, but I have one major complaint: why didn't they include saving? This is a puzzle game, being able to save high scores is essential! But for some reason, they didn't bother with it here. How odd. Based on what I've read, the only console version of this game with saving is, in fact, the Atari Jaguar version. If (when?) I ever get a Jaguar, I'll have to get the game. But anyway, Zoop is a fast-paced and challenging puzzle game. As with many puzzle games, the game has an endless mode, where you play until you lose. There's also a long 99-level level mode. The game plays on a top-view screen with a grid-like design. You move a shape around a square in the center of the screen, and have to match tiles which approach at you from paths on the four sides of the screen. Sort of like in Magical Drop, you can grab any tiles and then toss them into other paths, in order to set up matches. If a tile reaches the center, you lose, game over. At first the game may seem fun, but it gets very hard quickly, maybe too much for some people. Covering all four sides of the screen thoroughly takes concentration, and probably some luck as well. It's a frenetic game where you have to constantly grab tiles and toss them where you think they should go. The graphics are kind of crazy, and are super '90s. There are many different backgrounds which switch as you progress. It's a good game, and the PS1 graphics are nice and sharp; it's a good improvement over the 4th gen versions. But why no saving, still? Bah. Ah well. It also would be great if they had figured out a way to get a splitscreen mode working, because puzzle games are always more fun in multiplayer. The Game Boy version actually does have link cable support (though not the Game Gear version, it seems, oddly), but I don't think any of the console versions have multiplayer. Still, if you see it cheap, pick Zoop up. It's a tough game, but can be fun. Also on SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, Jaguar, Saturn, PC, Mac, and Game Gear.

End. With the 108 new summaries, I'm now up to 249 games covered, and it should be 250!

Finally, for those with 50 post pages (as I do), not that this update starts on post 38: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=154195901#post154195901.

Nothing at all,. really? Oh come on...

Anyway, even my PC won't read PEII. I will definitely have to see if getting it resurfaced will save it. It would have been nice to get the summary total up to an even 250. :)

Media for some of the more interesting games covered in the recent addition to the list. I decided to cover all of the games in the 'favorite games from this update' list, except for a few of the best-known games, Driver 2, Rage Racer, and Wild ARMs, which many people probably know about already. Do play them if you haven't, though! Great games. Below the main list (with images) are video links to videos of some of the more interesting games from the rest of the list. Those three games listed above do have videos linked in this section.

Egg (J)

Front and back of the case:
307534_front.jpg

307535_back.jpg

I really can't find anything of note for this game other than boxshots on GameFAQs. Maybe I should take some screenshots myself... note the 4-player support. Pretty awesome!

http://www.beyondjapan.co.jp/products_e.html (last entry on the page)
The developers' website does have a little bit of information about the game, though it's somewhat poorly translated:
EGG
1998 February released
For PlayStation software
Published by TOSHIBA EMI

"Egg" is simple and easy to play, but deep strategy boadgame.
If you tumble "Egg" on the field, the civilazations are incurred along to the trace of "Egg", and that area is owned by players.

The civilazations are evoluted and developed with affection from "Egg".

Win or lose is decided by how large space the player dominated.
There are complex factors like the way of "Egg" moving, and evolution & devolution of the civilazation.

No one can expect what's going on.

There are various mission like "Mission mode" or "Versus mode".
It's a cool game. Fun stuff.

It's too bad more isn't out there about this game, because it really was one of the most interesting games I played for this update, even if the summary was quite short. I kind of want to write a full review of the game, after playing it more of course.

Galeoz (J)

307726_front.jpg

Yes, the title is in Cyrillic I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5d_nSvGRVE
This is a frustrating video to watch because the person doesn't really understand the controls -- those obstacles at the beginning are actually easy to get over -- but it's the only video of the game on Youtube as far as I know, and it does at least show what the game looks and sounds like and some of the gameplay as well, even if it's not the best. This game is a lot more fun than its basic graphics may make it seem, though the video does show off the good soundtrack!

Ganbare Goemon: Space Pirate Akoging! (& Ganbare Goemon: Ooedo Daikaiten) (J)

Back of the case. This is another game with one of those thick black plastic cases; they're slightly taller than a normal jewelcase and maybe twice as thick, and are solid plastic instead of clear like a jewelcase, except for the front which is transparent so the manual cover can be the game cover.
34798_back.jpg

I got three of the four PS1 Goemon games. All four are covered decently in Hardcore Gaming 101's Goemon article: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/goemon/goemon3.htm

I chose to mention this one in the 'best games in this update' list because, well, the other two are more flawed. This first game feels like a SNES game moved to a next-gen system, with an animated intro and some sprite rotation and such. The absence of Sasuke and Yae is the worst thing about a game that otherwise is a pretty fun 2d platform/adventure game. I LOVED the two N64 Goemon games, and while none of these thre are as good as either of those games, they are interesting or pretty good games that I'm very happy to have. Yes, even Kurunarakoi, it's not great but it's Goemon so I kind of like it anyway! :)

Make sure to talk to everyone in the first town. I got stuck at first because I missed one building, which happened to have a plot-critical guy in it I had to talk to... here's the first town: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX-k1E7LosM And here is the first level (sidescrolling area starts midway): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKNisZ-oXHI If you continue with this series you'll see that the guy eventually has problems with some of the grappling-hook sections.

While Akoging's grappling-hook sections can be tricky, I think that the third PS1 Goemon game, Ganbare Goemon: Ooedo Daikaiten,'s bounce pads are worse. Here's a video of Ooedo Daikaiten's first bounce-pad stage. You need to perfectly time each button press in order to jump high on the pad. Really frustrating stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reyRKn7_FLE If I can master the bounce pads, I'm sure I will otherwise love this game -- it looks decent, has mostly good level designs, uses Goemon's Great Adventure's outstanding soundtrack, and more.

Gradius Gaiden (J)

3983_front.jpg

The only new Gradius game released on 5th-gen consoles, Gradius Gaiden is a very good 2d side-scrolling shmup. It's a classic Gradius game, and Gradius is my favorite shmup series so that's a good thing. I do think the sprites are too small compared to previous Gradius games, but otherwise it's fantastic. Two player co-op is a cool addition to the series. This game is probably somewhat well-known, but have you actually played it?

Video. It'll take a lot of practice to beat the game as quickly as it happens in this LP!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdtXtEj-T-U

Megatudo 2096 (J)

35064_front.jpg

This game is in one of those thicker jewelcases we didn't get in the US. Nice cover too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyjE35BeOyA
This is the only video I've found online for this interesting fighting/shooting game. Give it a watch! It does a decent job of showing how the game plays.

Motor Toon Grand Prix

I'm not sure if the US or Japanese covers are better, but the US one is actually pretty decent. Europe got the Japanese cover, apparently.
US:
5361_front.jpg

Japan:
5360_front.jpg

This game is short but fun. It's from the team that went on to make Gran Turismo, though I like this kind of game more. The way the cars warp as they turn is amusing, but the game is a challenging and technical racer underneath its cute exterior, mastering it will take effort!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyXzOlbi-wE

Need for Speed: High Stakes

The PC version's cover is the same image, but larger of course for the larger box.
982_front.jpg

Here's a video of the Playstation version. It's fantastic for the PS1! Great game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJP0llgKGY

And this is the PC version. This is my favorite NFS game ever. Though the PS1 version holds up better than I thought it would, the PC is of course better overall. It's still absolutely worth getting on both platforms, though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSUbflYd480

Puchi Carat (J)

29463_front.jpg

Puchi Carat is great! Multiplayer Arkanoid with a puzzle game aesthetic really does work. Any block-breaking game fan (Arkanoid, Breakout, etc.) definitely should try this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7KjkIQSpyM
This is a video of the European version. The Japanese version I have is the same apart for the text language.

Red Asphalt

6575_front.jpg

The cover is very '90s and kind of cool. This is a combat racing game with lots of shooting. I came in expecting little, and it's great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VC5w5P1lnY
Decent video of gameplay. It shows some of the fun action-racing gameplay.

Roll Away

6826_front.jpg

This game is obscure in the US, but in Europe it's relatively well known (as Kula World). Prices are the opposite, though -- expensive for the European version, cheap for the US release. The cover made me think that the game would play like Marble Madness and such, which made me concerned about the digital-only controls, but it's not like that at all -- you don't really roll around, but instead move precisely from square to square and side to side. It's a tricky puzzle/platformer, not a twitch arcade game, and is better for it, probably; I like Marble Madness, but a d-pad could never do it justice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abA7UDMZgfw
Gameplay video. This is one tricky game after the early levels! It's a great challenge though, well worth playing.

Steel Reign

7631_front.jpg

Here's a gameplay video of another highly under-rated vehicular action game. Steel Reign is great, one of the better console games of its time that generation probably.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD1SB7adQ4A

Videos only of some additional games:

Bugriders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp-y5SPb9Pk - A weird but interesting racing game)

Tomarunner vs. L'Arc-en-Ciel (J): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WSoVaglKc4 - Another weird but interesting racing game, this time on foot!

Crime Crackers 2 (J): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sktfmk4clnM - FPS/dungeon crawler anime game, it's solid.

I would post videos of Kuru Kuru Cube; I'll do that manual scan soon! I need help to figure out how to play this game. :(

Puzzle: Star Sweep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvlWWjZA3nE Fun and tough little puzzler.

Rush Hour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8SDYM3BMXY - Fun topdown-style racer from Psygnosis. Underrated!

Summon Night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYtpfIy48OU - Tactical strategy game with lots of story scenes, as always in the franchise.

Tiny Bullets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6tWf0z34fw - Solid third-person action-adventure game. Useful full video series of the game for if you get stuck because of the language barrier. Clearly emulator footage though, though I'm sure a lot of these are that.

The Unholy War: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4hqYD1pYGs Archon goes 3d! It's interesting.

Wild ARMs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvVSSCNjZeo Great music, good gameplay!

Driver 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfEF_z0JfcQ A better game than I was expecting, it's about as great as the first one is.

Rage Racer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbwJxKC1fmo I don't know exactly why, but for whatever reason I like this game more than the other PS1 Ridge Racer games.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Motor Toon Grand Prix

I'm not sure if the US or Japanese covers are better, but the US one is actually pretty decent. Europe got the Japanese cover, apparently.
US:
5361_front.jpg

Japan:
5360_front.jpg

This game is short but fun. It's from the team that went on to make Gran Turismo, though I like this kind of game more. The way the cars warp as they turn is amusing, but the game is a challenging and technical racer underneath its cute exterior, mastering it will take effort!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyXzOlbi-wE

I remember playing this game as a teenager, and bought it off PSN and downloaded to my PS3. It's pretty fun, but it's insanely hard for a racing game aimed at kids. Don't think I ever managed to win more than maybe the first cup.

Top Bottom