• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game series that took different genres, the good and the bad.

G-Fex

I mean outside the known genre, example of good ones are.

Super Mario Kart (well and all mario sports games I suppose.)
Link's crossbow training (don't know if it's good but I heard mostly good reviews)
MK: Shaoilin Monks
Metroid Pinball
Halo Wars (lol maybe?)

Well I can't think of some right now but heres a list of bad ones that come to mind really.
MK: Special forces
C&C: Renegade
Death by Degrees
Soul Calibur legends :lol

Anyone know any others?

sonicmj1

Resident Evil: Dead Aim, Resident Evil: Survivor, and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles.

and Resident Evil 4

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
Super Mario (classic 2D action) --> Super Mario RPG (traditional RPG) --> Paper Mario 1&2 (RPG with some 2D action) --> Super Paper Mario (mostly 2D action)

The circle is now complete... almost.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Good
Parasite Eve's - Turn based battle system

Bad
Parasite Eve 2 - Real time battle system that takes away all the RPG elements and weapon customization

This is confusing. Super Mario Kart is not part of the canon Super Mario series. It is its own series. I thought the title implied canon series' which became a different genre. Such as Super Metroid --> Metroid Prime.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Killzone (FPS)
Killzone Liberation (semi top-down action adventure)

Now Guerrilla has to make a Metal Gear-esque game, a Wipeout clone and an RTS in the Killzone universum and I'll be content :).

Ripenen

Guilty Gear Judgement (PSP) was a beat 'em up with GG characters.

Super Puzzle Fighter

SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters

Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble (GC, PSP) was a Melee fighting game.

Metal Gear Acid

EDIT: I forgot Streets of SimCity, a racing combat game set in SimCity 2000.

ehrm..

awful:
Chocobo Racing
chocobo.jpg

great:
Samurai Spitits (Samurai Shodown) RPG

immagini%5Cfoto%5Cneogeo%5Csamuraysho.jpg

Yottamole

Banned
Great:
Dragon Quest Rocket Slime

Bad...:
Dirge of Cerberus FFVII

Munin said:
Am I missing something or does this cover of a typing game really have a fucking typo on it? :lol
Ha, "as planed..." Nice catch.

To think that there's also The Pinball of the Dead (GBA) and English of the Dead (DS)...this is perhaps SEGA's most random series.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Dr. Mario and Tetris Attack are perfect examples of pointless but awesome IP use.

Didn't play it, but I heard Star Fox Adventures' transition from shooter to adventure was pretty bad.

Troidal

Good:
MGS -> MGA
Panzer Dragoon -> Panzer Dragoon Saga

Bad:
Castlevania -> Metroidvania -> a fighting game?
I have to admit SoTN was awesome, but I felt like it didn't need more.

Pachael

Virtua Quest LOLWTF
DOAXBV LOLWTFx2
Sakura Taisen V Ep.0 LOLWTF x3

Phantasy Star Online (Better, but it's no PSV.)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
PantherLotus said:
Didn't play it, but I heard Star Fox Adventures' transition from shooter to adventure was pretty bad.

Then you have heard wrong, kind sir.

StarFox Adventures was a good, challenging Zelda clone with some of the best graphics on the GameCube. Its two faults were that it had too many collect-a-thons going on at once,* and it tacked on short, pointless segments of traditional flight combat. They actually needed less flying and shooting in that StarFox game. :lol

*As astutely pointed out here:
20020927h.gif

Top Bottom