• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game soundtracks on vinyl | Analogue Gen 33fps

IrishNinja

fuck it, ordered - if this is a repress, i don't wanna miss out again, now that i've had a chance to experience the music in-game & really dug it. this guy needs to do more OST's.

NekoFever

Awesome. I'm still waiting for the Outrun and Super Hang On represses and I'll have the entire collection.

I'm not sure they'll do SHO unless there's a lot of demand. Can't find the source now but I swear I read an interview that said it was by far their lowest-selling release and the packaging was a PITA to manufacture.

I'm not sure they'll do SHO unless there's a lot of demand. Can't find the source now but I swear I read an interview that said it was by far their lowest-selling release and the packaging was a PITA to manufacture.

Couldn't they make a cheaper package for the reprint?

not that a reprint would ever happen, but still

Dyna

Wait, I thought Moonshake was just some dude who did VGM covers or something. Are they literally just the original soundtracks on vinyl, as in bootlegs? That's slimy.

Bummer...I'm in the same boat with SHO and Outrun. If and when, I'll pick it up, but with the SNES Classic stuff going on right now I just can't even think about adding another thing to look out for.

Wait, I thought Moonshake was just some dude who did VGM covers or something. Are they literally just the original soundtracks on vinyl, as in bootlegs? That's slimy.

Yeah just straight up bootlegs :D and it was "more" acceptable when we didn't have any alternative.

But now Mondo especially is publishing Castlevania etc. legit, it is more troublesome as those bootleg versions will eat their customerbase for sure.

Moonshake has done mainly Nintendo stuff so far though, but i would think it's a higher barrier now if someone wants to do Donkey Kong Country or Super Metroid for example, knowing there is some 500 copies out already.

Vectorman

Banned
Since when was the last time Nintendo released anything on official vinyl though? Like never. It's been other VG companies that have done it but besides them, Nintendo has never put out their stuff physically for ease of access. There's CDs here and there but never vinyl that's for sure.

Since when was the last time Nintendo released anything on official vinyl though? Like never. It's been other VG companies that have done it but besides them, Nintendo has never put out their stuff physically for ease of access. There's CDs here and there but never vinyl that's for sure.

wouldn't expect straight up nintendo, but those guys wanting to do NES classics and Mother etc.

rpbtz

Speaking of Nintendo on vinyl this was posted today. This doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that they visited a store, but it does look like one hell of teaser.
WoB5qPs.png

Speaking of Nintendo on vinyl this was posted today. This doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that they visited a store, but it does look like one hell of teaser.
WoB5qPs.png

Yeah, pretty mean spirited if it's anything other than a nintendo SL9 collaborative release teaser.

BTails

Wasn't SL9 teasing Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim earlier? I'd love for some Elder Scrolls music on LP, especially if they did some of the other games too... Morrowind would be unreal. Though, to be honest, I just started playing ESO, and am enjoying the music in that one too.

Type40

There's a Splatoon 2 disc that was sent to the press in the UK. In the early 80's they had a bunch of Famicom related disks.
The Mother 1 and 2 Records were released in the US recently as well. Supposedly having a reprint this year.

RaidenZR

WoB5qPs.png

Hmm, yeah that's an iffy way to tease something, if true. Also, Spacelab wouldn't be my top choice for Nintendo releases but it could be worse...

Do we know who was responsible for that Splatoon 2 pressing and if it was any good?

hawk2025

Received Ninja Senki, and it's pretty badly warped :(

There's basically a big bulge in the middle, so the whole record is convex from one of the sides :(

Shinohara

Neo Member

That's too bad, it's the sole DD release missing from my collection.

rpbtz

Geez, that's two of them now. How are they packaging these things?

Pretty sure it's the pressing technique and not the packaging. I have another (non-vgm) release pressed the same way and it has the exact same odd "bowl-shaped" warp. It plays fine though.

OSHAN

I read the same thing. Packaging was a bitch, unlikely to be repressed; if it is repressed, I'm guessing the packaging will not have the cutouts for the lettering.

RaidenZR

Received Ninja Senki, and it's pretty badly warped :(

There's basically a big bulge in the middle, so the whole record is convex from one of the sides :(

Geez, that's two of them now. How are they packaging these things?

I got mine as well and it's the same slight concave-ish warp. The look of the vinyl is nothing special and not worth the special process. So yeah, not a fan and I'm not about to to play it on my machine. Guess I'll be contacting Yetee to see if I can get a replacement.

hawk2025

I love Yetee so I don't want to make them take a loss, so if it plays fine I'll just keep it as-is.

Hopefully Wizorb doesn't suffer from this though.

Beamerjld

Neo Member
Just received my Metroid Trilogy, but the cover is damaged... I sent them a message through the "contact us" link on the website. Has anyone else had a return for moonshake?

I own the FF8 vinyl, FF7 is on the way, and the FF Vinyls set is the lone white whale I still want for my collection. I was tempted for maybe 2 seconds before giving in.

I have FFIX on CD and the black materia vinyl. I just might grab this one to expand the collection. Do you know how much the shipping came out to? I'm in USA.

LaneDS

First (and last) time ordering from Moonshake. Wasn't entirely clear what I was getting myself into when I ordered (i.e. hey this is straight up a bootleg) and the sound quality seems shitty after some time with Metroid. Cleaned the disc and has a ton of noise... feels like I hear the pops better than I hear the music.

Also, not sure what I was expecting, but seeing how DKC is literally just the first game's soundtrack was kind of a bummer as I really dig Stickerbrush Symphony (like everyone else); Aquatic Ambiance is still there though.

Edit: I will admit though, pops and all, listening to Super Metroid on vinyl is pretty rad.

First (and last) time ordering from Moonshake. Wasn't entirely clear what I was getting myself into when I ordered (i.e. hey this is straight up a bootleg) and the sound quality seems shitty after some time with Metroid. Cleaned the disc and has a ton of noise... feels like I hear the pops better than I hear the music.

Also, not sure what I was expecting, but seeing how DKC is literally just the first game's soundtrack was kind of a bummer as I really dig Stickerbrush Symphony (like everyone else); Aquatic Ambiance is still there though.

Edit: I will admit though, pops and all, listening to Super Metroid on vinyl is pretty rad.

My brother and I both received the DKC vinyl. I haven't listened to it yet but my brother says that he felt some of the levels were off. Doesn't "slap" as hard as he was expecting he said.

LaneDS

My brother and I both received the DKC vinyl. I haven't listened to it yet but my brother says that he felt some of the levels were off. Doesn't "slap" as hard as he was expecting he said.

Side A of DKC is at least better than side A of Metroid (playing right now). Totally anecdotal, I know, but I'm more pleased with this one sound quality wise.

LaneDS

Love how those discs look but the music didn't leave any sort of impression on me. Also, uh, did those four episodes have enough for 2 LPs?

StillEdge

He posted saying he actually worked the hardest on DKC saying he got somebody in to help boost the bass in the music or something. So that is a bummer to hear. I haven't set up my record player still after moving so I haven't gotten to listen yet.

He posted saying he actually worked the hardest on DKC saying he got somebody in to help boost the bass in the music or something. So that is a bummer to hear. I haven't set up my record player still after moving so I haven't gotten to listen yet.

I'm in the same situation after a recent move. Guess I'll just have to listen to it myself and be the judge.

Top Bottom