• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME UK charging £329 to customers for Mario Maker - Eurogamer

LoveCake

Grainger Games, HMV.

No Grainger Games anywhere near where i live, the local HMV only has about five or six PS4 & X1 games in their selection, they don't sell any Nintendo games either.

It was more likely a banking error anyway or payment processing, it isn't like GAME have gone in on purpose & stolen peoples money.

Hasney

It was more likely a banking error anyway or payment processing, it isn't like GAME have gone in on purpose & stolen peoples money.

No, but it seems to happen more often with them as this isn't the first time. Their website is the drizzling shits and I can't imagine why anyone would use them with so many cheaper & better alternatives. Customer service is so horrible when something does go wrong too. It was infuriating sorting out my MGSV CE.

Yes Paypal, but I've never had any issues before - just coincidence I guess!

Code:
Thanks for getting in contact with Nintendo.

We apologise for the issues with your order, unfortunately this has affected a large number of customers and we will be in touch within the next 24-72 hours to arrange for you to reorder this item.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,

Nintendo Official UK Store

From memory, if the paypal preorder takes place more then X amount of time before the order is actually fulfilled, it just doesn't work (I can't recall the exact time period, but after a few weeks for sure, the transaction will expire. I believe it's called the "order valid period"). I've had this problem on a number of websites so I just do preorders on my cc card now. :/

Hasney

From memory, if the paypal preorder takes place more then X amount of time before the order is actually fulfilled, it just doesn't work. I've had this problem on a number of websites so I just do preorders on my cc card now. :/

Yeah, some websites have stopped taking PayPal for preorders, or have a system to email you to remind you to setup the PayPal at a point closer to release. It just doesn't seem to work if you order something well in advance.

Resseh

No, but it seems to happen more often with them as this isn't the first time. Their website is the drizzling shits and I can't imagine why anyone would use them with so many cheaper & better alternatives. Customer service is so horrible when something does go wrong too. It was infuriating sorting out my MGSV CE.
I use them when I can get them to price match CEX and then use their credit on the website. Just gotta hope they don't go bust again....

(It's difficult finding an item on their website that isn't vastly overpriced however. It feels wrong buying something I know is cheaper at GameStop even when I have credit )

"I don't know why you guys are complaining, it'll still work out to be less than £1 per level. Think of the content!" -GAME Customer Services

it does answer that review thread question when people were spitting fire at gamecentral for daring to question the value of mario maker and saying "HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY FOR LIMITLESS LEVELS?????"

A: £329

Zafir

From memory, if the paypal preorder takes place more then X amount of time before the order is actually fulfilled, it just doesn't work (I can't recall the exact time period, but after a few weeks for sure, the transaction will expire. I believe it's called the "order valid period"). I've had this problem on a number of websites so I just do preorders on my cc card now. :/
Yeah that's correct. As far as Im aware it's a month.

I only preorder using a card now.

madmackem

So glad I held back from buying from game, I, simply not I a situation where they could withdraw that amount and it not cripple me.

King_Moc

Banned
Not really. GAME have paid in £187.96 to my account but I was charged for 7 copies which comes to £328.93. Which means they still owe me £93.98.

What the hell is wrong with them? They charged everyone the wrong amount for the Fallout 4 Pipboy deposit as well. They charged too little there, admittedly, but it could easily have gone the other way. They've let me pay for things on their site before that were out of stock as well.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
You guys should just join halifax they have a £50 and £100 over limit plan on bank accounts over what you have. So if you 800 in ur bank it will be 900.

If you go over your 800 they only charge you £1 per day for going into it. If you go over the 900 thwy charge £5 per day.

Its a very good idea and you arent charged for the service or anything its avaliable to anyone not students only.

The charges dont actually come out of your account till a month later either

RiggyRob

Well, GAME did end up charging me twice for my preorder but they've refunded one of the charges back, so I guess as long as it turns up today or tomorrow all is well.

Hooray for student overdrafts!

Not really. GAME have paid in £187.96 to my account but I was charged for 7 copies which comes to £328.93. Which means they still owe me £93.98.

I posted about this earlier in the thread, but GAME are doing the reversals in two batches - one for Monday's fuck-up (five charges) and one for Tuesday (the two extra charges), and they will clear on subsequent days. The first batch you've got back is for the four extra charges on Monday, and the remaining is for the two extra charges on Tuesday and should - according to GAME - clear today.

On a side-note regarding incorrect charging, I preordered the MGSV LE PS4 back when it was £365. The price dropped before release (around £320), and GAME sent a mail confirming their preorder price guarantee ie you pay the lowest price regardless of how much it was when you preordered.

When they did their usual early payment thing ("We're just getting everything ready for you in advance!" - translation: "We're ensuring you don't have a chance to cancel if you see it cheaper somewhere else!") they charged me the full original amount, then refunded the difference a few days later. If you're going to have a price promise, at least have the rudimentary systems in place to back it up. I was also subject to the Splatoon LE fiasco, and just dodged a bullet with Mario Maker (preorder cancelled last week) which has combined to further my belief that GAME can't be trusted as a business whatsoever.

I just wiped out the remaining chunk of points credit I had earned from the PS4 by buying an Xbox credit code, and I'm one step away from removing all my payment details from the site. Unless it's a retailer exclusive that I absolutely cannot do without (like the MGSV PS4 was), I'm completely done with them.

They always have the exclusive stuff though. Like with this - They had a competitive price AND they gave away a really nice collectible badge set, so all things being equal, you'd be mad not to take their offer.

Of course, all things are not equal and the bonus loot is now pretty much a bribe to ignore their shitty service.

Hasney

They always have the exclusive stuff though. Like with this - They had a competitive price AND they gave away a really nice collectible badge set, so all things being equal, you'd be mad not to take their offer.

Of course, all things are not equal and the bonus loot is now pretty much a bribe to ignore their shitty service.

Yeah, my experience with the MGSV CE caused me to cancel my Fallout Anthology order with them and they're the only ones with it. Shame, it was a pretty cool case.

True, it wasn't the price or bonus offer that was bad for Mario Maker, but the shoddy way GAME choose to conduct themselves. I'd rather try my luck on ebay for a retailer exclusive (at a more than likely enhanced cost) than run the risk of my bank account being emptied.

luna_s

Work colleague here got charged 7 times, must be quite a widespread issue.

Shame about the paypal thing, but I really find it hard to trust websites anymore with credit/debit card details (not that I trust Paypal much either...)

Glad i cancelled my order a long time ago so my Girlfriend could buy this for me (from somewhere else!)

but now i'm exceptionally worried about the Fallout 4 pip boy edition...its £99 if they charge that multiple times, i'll be screwed

but i suppose if i only have £1000 in my account i shouldn't buy a £100 game on the off chance i get mugged by a glitch and/or need to pay bills

Zomba13

I've gotten refunds for 6 of the copies (of the 7 charges).

They still haven't shipped my game though, apparently. Ugh,

Same. I've checked and had the proper amount refunded. Still no notice of shipping the game which comes out tomorrow, still nothing from GAME about offering some kind of compensation or credit or discount for this massive fuck up.

Same. I've checked and had the proper amount refunded. Still no notice of shipping the game which comes out tomorrow, still nothing from GAME about offering some kind of compensation or credit or discount for this massive fuck up.

I'm definetely going to at least try and push for some compensation. Lord knows that they could have fixed this faster if they wanted to: when they had that PSN cards sold for cheap a while back they fixed that in a matter of hours, rather than several days. Funny that, when they're the ones who stand to lose money.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I'm definetely going to at least try and push for some compensation. Lord knows that they could have fixed this faster if they wanted to: when they had that PSN cards sold for cheap a while back they fixed that in a matter of hours, rather than several days. Funny that, when they're the ones who stand to lose money.

In their defence it's a fair bit easier to change a misprice on their website than it is to process thousands of pounds worth of refunds.

weekev

Banned
I got charged twice with 1 charge refunded, will be pissed if my copy doesnt turn up today as it was apparently shipped on Monday...

Hasney

Game? Offering compensation or doing anything good for their customer base?

kelso-laughing-gif.gif

Oh man, I'm sure you brightened up quite a few days today with that, especially if some people might not even get their copy on top of all this shit.

That said, if they were ever going to, this has enough press for them to do it. Fingers crossed for you guys.

My copy arrived today on time, and the 6 reversals appear to have gone through - though I will be double-checking with my bank later.

Relatively speedy and smooth resolution, but appalling communication from GAME about what had actually happened, leaving it up to customers to discover it and chase them. Certainly won't be preordering anything again, and I've shifted my one other existing preorder with them - a Shovel Knight amiibo - to Amazon.

I was charged twice and had one of them refunded yesterday, but the game hasn't arrived today. I called them up to check if it had been shipped, and they told me it was shipped on the 8th Sept. It better come tomorrow..

Zomba13

Got an email from GAME today regarding the problem. In my initial email to them I asked about some form of good will gesture on top of them correcting the charges due to how much of an inconvenience it is when people take 7x as much as they are owed from you.

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear about the issue with your online order I can confirm this was a system error and the pending funds should now all of been returned to your bank account.

In regards to a good will gesture this has not yet been discussed by the business but keep and eye on your emails as we will keep all customer who have been affected up to date.

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

To get in touch you can email us at customerservices@game.co.uk or call our customer services team on 0208 827 0099.

Alternatively please visit our website at http://www.game.co.uk/

Kind Regards,

Sheree C

The team at GAME

Zomba13

Bumping this to check in with people because I just got a £10 gift card from GAME through the post because of this. There was no email follow up after my last post and this just popped in today. Wondering if anyone else got it.

ColEx

Bumping this to check in with people because I just got a £10 gift card from GAME through the post because of this. There was no email follow up after my last post and this just popped in today. Wondering if anyone else got it.

Yeah i got one too, i didn't even contact CS about the problem during the drama, so props to GAME for the letter and gift card.

RiggyRob

Toythatkills vindicated! I got one of these too, plus GAME actually made an error in my favour as well, so I'm pretty pleased with how the situation's been handled.

GAME should be happy too though, I bought the Destiny PS4 from them.

coughlanio

I feel sorry for whoever was overcharged.

I'm not that tight to the wire by any means, but I rarely have 329 quid in my current account at any time, so this would have screwed me over.

weekev

Banned
Hmmm, i was affected but didnt get a goodwill gesture. Chanced my arm and emailed customer services, normally wouldnt bother, but y'know Game.
Edit lol I just told my wife my story and it turns out I did get one she just didnt tell me.

Hmmm, i was affected but didnt get a goodwill gesture. Chanced my arm and emailed customer services, normally wouldnt bother, but y'know Game.
Edit lol I just told my wife my story and it turns out I did get one she just didnt tell me.

IT came as a letter or something right?

Wouldn't be surprised if one of my flatmates helped themselves >_>.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have had an overdrawn fee, but it was from 2005/2006. I had never had one before and they charged per day. I would make sure to call the bank or lender asap and tell them about this and report it. I hope everything gets sorted out. As GAME, I would feel utterly embarrassed by this. That's quite a bit of copies to have charged a person for. I hope no one is hurt by all this.

Top Bottom