• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME UK charging £329 to customers for Mario Maker - Eurogamer

Bazry

I'm still waiting for my Super Mario 3D World furry sleeve pre order bonus that apparently was sent out separate to the game.

any day now......

Heimbeck

Banned
This isn't really a blunder but more of a scum move, but remember when GAME weren't allowed to sell Mass Effect 3 and instead put all their used copies in the #1 section and stuck the price tag over the '2' on the box to try and fool some people into buying that instead?

Game_Store_Mass_Effect_2.jpg

That just seems like where they put the price sticker, it's the same place on the other games.

Zemm

That just seems like where they put the price sticker, it's the same place on the other games.

Normally I'd agree it was just coincidental, but that's the same time ME3 was released which they weren't allowed to sell because they couldn't pay for stock or something (iirc?), so they petulantly put all their used copies of ME2 in the #1 section.

Recall

If you charge me for 7 copies and only send one then you need to go send me those other 6. Give me what I pay for.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm literally howling at the people claiming GAME have committed a theft. As unfortunate as this is for everyone involved, this is not a theft, it was a mistake on their system. On top of that, they are refunding everyone and letting them keep the game.

Y'all need to read up your legal definitions.

If you charge me for 7 copies and only send one then you need to go send me those other 6. Give me what I pay for.
You'd rather have 7 copies of the same game than your money?

Each to their own.

Recharg3

Normally I'd agree it was just coincidental, but that's the same time ME3 was released which they weren't allowed to sell because they couldn't pay for stock or something (iirc?), so they petulantly put all their used copies of ME2 in the #1 section.

They also told all their customers to contact EA because EA couldn't fulfill their orders not GAME, I was gobsmacked when I witnessed this not to mention having a buddy of mine work for EA CS tell me their phones where off the hook due to this...

Heimbeck

Banned

Maybe there was a bit of flubbing, could just be something they didn't think about also.

Thinking about it though, this sounds like something GAME would do.
Really terrible company.

Recall

You'd rather have the other six games than your money back?!

I'm saying if your gonna charge me for 7 at least send me 7 copies then let me return the 6.

How does this even happen as with how GAME database their items it must have been a clerical error put there from a long time ago, I guess a 7 looks like a 1, sorta

Heimbeck

Banned
I'm saying if your gonna charge me for 7 at least send me 7 copies then let me return the 6.

Think it would be much easier for GAME to just return the money.
I don't imagine they would be making people any happier saying "Well we won't give you your money back but you can have 7 copies of the same game!"

Saiyan-Rox

From what I remember at the time (I worked there for a good 4 years) this isn't the case. In fact I can't remember us putting ME2 at number 1 when this happened at all and as for the stickers those at the time where the stickers used for sale items and they were in the proper place as per company rules. GAME had a spat with EA and for that they refused to let GAME stock any copies of it and put the price up of all the games. I remember the simpsons movie on 360 going from 19.99 to 49.99 lol

The store in the photo might have indeed figured to do that and there are store out there run by complete fucks who don't give a shit but not every store did this.

By no means is this to defend them. GAME need to go the HO of GAME are just full of twats as are the regional managers who don't give a shit and will do whatever it takes to get money off people that included lying to customers too.

Not allowed gives the wrong connotation. It was basically GAME was bust, had sold a lot of new stock at ridiculously low prices to try and get some money (I'm talking Xenoblade with the red classic controller for £10 levels of insanity), couldn't get any loans and so wanted EA to give them the game for free under the premise they would pay them back.

The SSX game released that year had been agreed prior or something so was the final EA game to come out shortly before the great administration saga.

It wasn't just EA holding back stock either as well which accelerated the run to administration. There were some exceptions. I think the 3DS launch went ahead but The Last Story and Boom Street did not. Maybe my timeline is getting muddled though...

This isn't really a blunder but more of a scum move, but remember when GAME weren't allowed to sell Mass Effect 3 and instead put all their used copies in the #1 section and stuck the price tag over the '2' on the box to try and fool some people into buying that instead?

Game_Store_Mass_Effect_2.jpg

No I don't remember that. I do remember that "Mass Effect 3 - The Collectors Edition" was exclusive to "GAME" you could only get the physical version from GAME (The digital version was purchasable from Origin). Then a couple of weeks before Mass Effect 3 was due for release GAME went tits up making those that pre-ordered do a mad scramble to try and get the collectors edition all over again. It is also the reason why GAME couldn't sell ME 3 in the end, because they didn't have the money for the stock.

Yet despite all these complete fuck ups by GAME we still see publishers constantly giving them exclusive products. Perhaps instead of the consumer boycotting GAME we could get the publishers to get their heads out of their arses and stop giving this two bit retailer a monopoly on some products.

it was a mix of both things, they could have left the 2 partly uncovered but they didn't and then there's why ME2, a two year old game at the time was in the #1 selling spot for that week all of a sudden.

Heimbeck

Banned
it was a mix of both things, they could have left the 2 partly uncovered but they didn't and then there's why ME2, a two year old game at the time was in the #1 selling spot for that week all of a sudden.

Well if that is the used game chart, and Mass Effect 3 had just come out (or was about to come out) it would make sense that more people would pick up a used copy of 2.

Bazry

Was there ever any other proof of GAME doing that with Mass Effect from other stores? It wouldn't exactly be hard for someone to have grabbed 3 copies off the shelf and stuck them in the no.1 section before taking a photo

I called them, AGAIN!

I was assured AGAIN, that no more transactions will happen and the money will be back tomorrow.

The funny part was , to fix it apparently they "turned it off and on again" then noticed it was still charging people so they turned it off again.

Can't make this shit up.

I've got the opposite problem, they haven't taken the money at all. Paid with Paypal, not sure if that makes any odds.

Goddam they better send me my Limited Edition plus badges or I'm going to whine like a little bitch all over the internet.

Ponn

Banned
I called them, AGAIN!

I was assured AGAIN, that no more transactions will happen and the money will be back tomorrow.

The funny part was , to fix it apparently they "turned it off and on again" then noticed it was still charging people so they turned it off again.

Can't make this shit up.

Ask them if they tried unplugging it,

No I don't remember that. I do remember that "Mass Effect 3 - The Collectors Edition" was exclusive to "GAME" you could only get the physical version from GAME (The digital version was purchasable from Origin). Then a couple of weeks before Mass Effect 3 was due for release GAME went tits up making those that pre-ordered do a mad scramble to try and get the collectors edition all over again. It is also the reason why GAME couldn't sell ME 3 in the end, because they didn't have the money for the stock.

Yet despite all these complete fuck ups by GAME we still see publishers constantly giving them exclusive products. Perhaps instead of the consumer boycotting GAME we could get the publishers to get their heads out of their arses and stop giving this two bit retailer a monopoly on some products.

They are the only viable retail store for gaming. Supermarkets aren't as interested in gaming any more now.

Bazry

My word only, but I bought the Mario Golf game for the Gamecube new and later found the previous owners receipt in the manual.

Classy!

I bought a pre owned Dreamcast from them and found a pirated copy of Silent Scope in the disc drive

If we're telling stories of the absurdity of GAME, I think it was the release of Dragon Age 2. Before the game had even been released GAME had on their site a pre-order for a preowned version for about a £5 cheaper, right next to the sealed price. How you have a preowned version of a game for sale when it hasn't even been released yet is beyond me, specifically designed to incentivise buying used copies at launch instead of a sealed version. That's just nasty business.

They are the only viable retail store for gaming. Supermarkets aren't as interested in gaming any more now.

No shit - I knew it was declining, but I hadn't realised how badly until I visited a few of my local ones recently. Morrisons have been trying to ditch games for ages and held out for the X1/PS4 launches, but they've scrapped their shelving for those now and the only games presence in my local is their budget 3DS/DS/360/PS3 stand (5ft tall by 2ft wide!). Tesco are cutting back hard, and while Wii U/3DS are getting hit worst - combined into one "Nintendo" block now in my local - PS4/X1 have seen some reductions too.

It's a far cry from the height of the Wii/360/PS3 generation when supermarkets - and Woolworths, before its collapse - were the best place to get games, with good selections and cheap prices, as well as big opening day offers (Wii Fit launched at my local Woolies with stands outside the building!). Looking back, although the supermarkets playing hardball with Nintendo over Wii U shelving and allocations was seen as an isolated thing, it was just that they were most vulnerable to ongoing cutbacks in supermarket involvement in gaming.

Not that bothered about "retail" myself. I order everything online. As a matter of fact my copy of fallout 4 - pipboy edition was ordered online from GAME. I would have preferred to have made that order with another online retailer. This is especially true since the last time I ordered online from GAME (Mass Effect 3 - CE) they fucked that up royally.

However I have to buy the pipboy edition from GAME because they have exclusivity over this product. I would happily use my "consumer voice" to declare how bad GAME is. Unfortunately these backroom deals with publishers (at the expense of consumer choice) prevents me from doing so.

On a side not I am actually contemplating cancelling my pipboy order now. There is no way I can afford to have £700 to £1000 go out of my bank just for a bloody game and no I don't trust them to fix this issue in less than 2 months time.

ZorpAttacks

Neo Member
I'm glad I used PayPal. They sent me a PayPal refund and then I got 5 emails; 4 saying there was a payment problem and 1 saying Mario Maker had shipped. My PayPal account still shows the transaction as a refund so I have no idea if they'll charge me again or if the game was actually shipped. The shit we have to go through for a badge set!

Heres the email GAME sent out to 'help' peole understand the situation:

Game.co.uk said:
Yesterday we became aware of an issue with some isolated orders. This has impacted a number of customers who pre-ordered the Wii U exclusive, Super Mario Maker. We are working to resolve this issue urgently and we are aiming to fully rectify any payment or order issues in the next 24 hours.

If you require any further assistance with your Super Mario Maker order please feel free to contact us direct on 01256 784 400.

Thank you for your patience and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

To get in touch you can email us at customerservices@game.co.uk or call our customer services team on 0208 827 0099.

Not that helpful is it?

Top Bottom