• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME UK charging £329 to customers for Mario Maker - Eurogamer

I doubt game will cover everyones bank fees, they are a shit company who refuse to take a tablet back within a month period because the charge pin broke and this is a store where one of my best friend's bro's is a fucking manager there.

They will literally have to, or they will be taken to court, etc.

I've seen this "I came from nothing too!!" roar from people that then go on to show a startling lack of empathy too many times.

What are you even defending here and why? You're worried big business is getting piled on too much? That its preposterous someone could go from comfortably having £47 to spend in their account but not 7 times that and a whopping £327 blast past their overdraft limit with no warning?

Reassess your position and begin to question why you strangely displaying anger at those caught out by this and rightfully pissed off and griping.

I'm not defending anyone or anything. GAME are shit, I was in GAME this week and was treated like shit, so I don't really give a shit about them at all.

My point though is that as shit as they are, they're not criminals. They're not intentionally stealing money and people should be reassured that they're going to get their money back instead of all the fearmongering in this thread about how GAME are going to leave people in the shit while they laugh all the way to the bank.

I'm aware that people are going to go overdrawn and be charged because of this, etc, but they will get that money back.

Mr-Joker

Banned
"GAME UK was a mistake, it's nothing but trash"

You know I am kinda glad that GAME doesn't price match as I would have ended up being stung.

Bydobob

You're way off on this. Give it up.

I see nothing in his post that isn't reasonable and sensible. The only hysterical reactions here are those accusing GAME of theft. Without proving dishonesty you have nothing.

That GAME suck as an outfit is beyond question, but accusing them of bare-faced criminality is silly.

Storm360

I spent a pretty long period of my life eating 10p packs of noodles for dinner, or days-old bread with mould scraped off of it with soup (this felt like a luxury) and having no idea if I was going to be able to pay the rent next month. I know there are people worse off even than that, but I know what it's like to have fuck all money and in this period I didn't spend money on frivolous stuff. I'm better off now, not exactly rolling in it but more comfortable than I was so yeah, I do consider myself lucky, but don't give me shit about being "out of touch" with people who have no money. I've been there.

There are plenty of people who this effects, and £300 is a pretty big difference from £50, I'm perfectly fine waiting until the issue is resolved and I don't really see myself having any major problems (unless it keeps up and starts to roll into the thousands but surely it will be resolved by that point), but it's totally normal for someone to be able to afford a £40 purchase with no hassle but miss the £300

Companies weasel out of legal obligations all the time. They rely on the hassle factor and people's ignorance of their own rights to get away with it. You may say, "More fool you" but taking someone to the small claims court is a PITA. Is it worth £250? You lose either way really.

I'm not for one second suggesting that GAME will avoid their responsibilities but it's not exactly a given that they will stand behind their customers either.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm not defending anyone or anything. GAME are shit, I was in GAME this week and was treated like shit, so I don't really give a shit about them at all.

My point though is that as shit as they are, they're not criminals. They're not intentionally stealing money and people should be reassured that they're going to get their money back instead of all the fearmongering in this thread about how GAME are going to leave people in the shit while they laugh all the way to the bank.

I'm aware that people are going to go overdrawn and be charged because of this, etc, but they will get that money back.

I see no purpose in "balance policing" because people are calling GAME thieves. People are right to be angry, and GAME deserve the negative press and kicking for this, so to try and quash it with crystal ball "I'm sure they'll cover bank charges quickly and efficiently!" proclamations for a group you have no say in or control over is just like... what are you even doing man?

I see no purpose in "balance policing" because people are calling GAME thieves. People are right to be angry, and GAME deserve the negative press and kicking for this, so to try and quash it with crystal ball "I'm sure they'll cover bank charges quickly and efficiently!" proclamations for a group you have no say in or control over is just like... what are you even doing man?

Like I say, if it turns out that GAME don't refund people fully then I will happily admit that I'm wrong and will join in any kicking you want to arrange.

Until then though, surely it's reasonable to give them the benefit of the doubt rather than accuse them of being thieves? Like, at least give them time to sort it out before complaining that everyone's been ripped off? At the moment people are getting angry over something that hasn't even really come to pass yet.

Neither is someone spending £50 when they have £300 in the bank.

I don't know if you could consider it a criminal charge, maybe malpractice (which is pretty much corporate gross negligence). That being said, you only risk anything paying via debit card. Credit card you could dispute the 6 other charges.

I wouldn't use a debit card anyway because they might charge you early to see if the card is valid.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Victim blaming? What?

My point is that there are no "victims" in the long-term. No one will lose money. People will be inconvenienced for a day but they'll get back everything they "lose." That includes bank charges and whatever else.

Because there's a big difference between £50 and £350. If the person budgeted and could afford to get Mario Maker it isn't their fault GAME cocked up. Saying they should have thought twice before buying a GAME because apparently we should all be careful of 700% markups that can strike at any time is blaming the victim. Also you don't get back time or stress.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Until then though, surely it's reasonable to give them the benefit of the doubt rather than accuse them of being thieves? Like, at least give them time to sort it out before complaining that everyone's been ripped off? At the moment people are getting angry over something that hasn't even really come to pass yet.

The first time they said they'd sort it out, they ended up charging people who'd already had 5 charges taken another 2 times just for good measure. This has also happened with other games and still hasn't been fixed.

Now you begin to see why "benefit of doubt" for assclowns should not be a modus operandi.

Neither is someone spending £50 when they have £300 in the bank.

It's not criminal, but like I say, it's pretty foolish if that £300 is the difference between eating and not eating, having shelter and not having shelter.

If people still want to spend £50 on a game when all they've got is £300 then that's totally fine, but I wouldn't, and I'm not sure many people would if they were totally honest about it, if they'd been in worse positions than that themselves in the past and knew what it was like to live on less than that much money.

The first time they said they'd sort it out, they ended up charging people who'd already had 5 charges taken another 2 times just for good measure. This has also happened with other games and still hasn't been fixed.

Now you begin to see why "benefit of doubt" for assclowns should not be a modus operandi.

Yeah, that's fair enough, that's a pretty big fuck-up.

I still believe that people will be refunded but I can see why people find it difficult to accept this. I guess we'll see in a few days how it all panned out.

Storm360

One thing to note, the billing problem wasn't fixed yesterday so it's totally possible that this could even happen again, if you're worried about being overdrawn etc it may be worth transferring money into your account if possible.

It's not criminal, but like I say, it's pretty foolish if that £300 is the difference between eating and not eating, having shelter and not having shelter.

If people still want to spend £50 on a game when all they've got is £300 then that's totally fine, but I wouldn't, and I'm not sure many people would if they were totally honest about it, if they'd been in worse positions than that themselves in the past.

A lot of people live on those margins from month to month, and you do have to have some kind of release - it's not to say they'd make that kind of purchase every month either. Some people would do this when getting a birthday present for their kids too.

Waveset

My mate had multiple emails saying his preorder had been cancelled then they credited his account with £49.99 (he hadn't paid yet) now they're saying his orders fine and charged him £49.99, so he's gatting a free copy.

Yeah, that's fair enough, that's a pretty big fuck-up.

I still believe that people will be refunded but I can see why people find it difficult to accept this. I guess we'll see in a few days how it all panned out.
If they want goodwill, they should reimburse any overdraft charges that might have occurred because of their screw-up.

Storm360

Accidents happen. Its how they respond to those affected that is important to me.

I imagine they'll only refund, but after the hassle, a free gift card/copy of the game would be nice at this point, even more so considering it happened again after GAME said they'd refund us

Skele7on

Banned

If people still want to spend £50 on a game when all they've got is £300 then that's totally fine, but I wouldn't, and I'm not sure many people would if they were totally honest about it, if they'd been in worse positions than that themselves in the past and knew what it was like to live on less than that much money.

No one has said that, but it also would put them into an overdraft, you don't know when they're paid, they could be paid next week on the 15th, the fact that a company has now over stretched these people for simply wanting to buy something for £50 vs £350 but you're acting by them willing to pay £50 is fine as you know that skint fucker should have had £700 in the bank, until by your amazing standards it's okay to spend money on anything remotely fun.

back down and out the conversation, you're looking like a royal prick.

Also edit posts and stop double posting it's as offensive and as in as bad taste as your comments.

A lot of people live on those margins from month to month, and you do have to have some kind of release - it's not to say they'd make that kind of purchase every month either. Some people would do this when getting a birthday present for their kids too.

Yeah, I guess I was pretty lucky that I had a lot of "stuff" I'd accumulated through the years to see me through. I'm pretty sure I would have really struggled to go on if it wasn't for a box-set of Frasier DVDs, and I'm not even joking. It was pretty touch and go at times even with that release.

I can absolutely see why people would want stuff like this when they couldn't afford it but you've really gotta weigh up whether you can. I once spent £7.99 on a CD to keep me sane but even that was a decision between my sanity and eating slightly more comfortably. £8 was a week of food, easy, but I was feeling pretty fucking low.

No one has said that, but it also would put them into an overdraft, you don't know when they're paid, they could be paid next week on the 15th, the fact that a company has now over stretched these people for simply wanting to buy something for £50 vs £350 but you're acting by them willing to pay £50 is fine as you know that skint fucker should have had £700 in the bank, until by your amazing standards it's okay to spend money on anything remotely fun.

For like the millionth time: I'm not denying that people will go into overdrafts and be charged, but they will get the money back.

Maybe I will back out of the conversation though. People are a bit too emotional in the heat of the moment so it's hard for them to accept that they'll be okay and they'll get their money back. In a week everyone will be able to look back and laugh at how stupid this was.

Storm360

At least it happened now with a cheaper release, if this happened last week with the MGS V limited edition people would be £700 under by now.

Hold it. This argument is built on a false premise because you know there are things called savings accounts and so you might not need to have £300 in your current account at a given time (like no bills to pay or anything). In this case GAME could have rinsed that account dry for example so don't act like the only people affected would be plebs who shouldn't spend that kind of money on games.

If they want goodwill, they should reimburse any overdraft charges that might have occurred because of their screw-up.
As nice as that may be isn't this all pending charges (i.e. we've put the money to one side) so any overdraft fees are bullshit anyway (as actual balance i.e. your money did not go below zero) and I don't like the banks being rewarded for providing nothing. Not to mention GAME losing money form this (which they are already coupled with the MGSV cancellations also due to computer error).

Hold it. This argument is built on a false premise because you know there are things called savings accounts and so you might not need to have £300 in your current account at a given time (like no bills to pay or anything). In this case GAME could have rinsed that account dry for example so don't act like the only people affected would be plebs who shouldn't spend that kind of money on games.

Objection. I never implied that, or at least never intended to so apologies if I did. I was talking about one specific person (me about 4/5 years ago), and others in that situation.

Bazry

Can anyone actually log into their GAME account at the moment? Just getting password and checking i'm not a bot errors

WHY do people still use GAME?

Because publishers make deals with GAME that make them the only place to buy certain versions of a product. I don't like GAME, I hate the place with a vengeance and I would quite happily never give them a single penny of my money ever again. Unfortunately if I want say the Pipboy Edition of Fallout 4 then I have to buy it from GAME because they are the only retailer that sells it in the UK.

I avoid purchasing anything from GAME but there are times when publishers treat consumer choice with utter contempt and force me to shop at GAME. If you are after someone to blame how about blaming the arsehole publishers that give GAME exclusive access to their products.

Brera was right all along, and we were too stupid to listen to him. He insisted GAME could turn things around, and that the shares he bought would be skyrocket in value, and he was right.

GAME will obviously increase profits by 600% if they start selling seven copies of games to customers who would otherwise have only bought one.

Zomba13

Yup. Just checked. Happened to me. FUCKING GAME. Mother Fucking fuckers. Why the fuck didn't they go under. Why the fuck are they still around.

I kept getting emails from them being all "don't worry, you still have your preorder at the cheapest price even though it's gone up!" (but we're gonna charge you for it 10 times because fuck you we're going to steal your money now)

Just when you thought the 'mysterious hijacking of a truck containing all Splatoon LEs' couldn't be beat, something like this comes along.

I had Mario Maker preordered with GAME right up until last week, when I had a sudden desire to cool down purchases of forthcoming games due to having plenty of new gaming on my plate. Mario Maker could wait. So happy that I did, and thus inadvertently side-stepped this whole mess. I'm just glad they aren't the sole retailer for Project Zero.

Zomba13

Only reason I went with them was that it was actually "cheaper" than other places I found (for it and the Amiibo) but of course, the one time GAME has something cheaper than somewhere else they charge you 7 times for it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Ridiculous. Haven't bought anything out their stores for years. Well, I did buy some Steam cards with all the old PS3 games I got rid of.

Would never pre order anything from them especially online.

Neff

Their site crashes my PC now, ha

WHY do people still use GAME?

Their exclusive Nintendo LEs are pretty good. They're a quick and convenient way to procure top ups if you're wary of having your CC info installed on your console.

Although in light of recent developments, that's not much of a comfort, lol.

Unsurprisingly, GAME's phone lines are still imposible to get through on. Perhaps their call centre staff were being delivered by truck and it was hijacked...

Skele7on

Banned
Its just a shame that there is no alternative to them in the uk. Amazon doesnt bother getting exclusivity, and the other store can't out pay what GAME can offer :(

See you could get this one on that other store that's banned from talking about here....

But with 99% of the others you're really screwed, they decided to just cancel my metal gear order that I ordered March 9th... I just try my absolute best to avoid them now.

Recharg3

The UK is a difficult market and it won't change anytime soon especially with GAME pulling the strings off all the games for any collectors edition stock.

In the US they have target, best buy walmart etc all competiting and wanting the business, in the UK Tesco, ASDA, Sainsburys and other retailers aren't that interested in most games just the FIFA & COD which they do deals for when you spend cash in store not with the rest.

Amazon are Amazon and people will continue to use them for reliability and prices, they don't bother much for any collectors editions and then the smaller stores like Simply Games, Gameseek, Game Collection just can't afford to bring the collectors edition stock in, they generally get enough to cover them just over their pre-orders and they can't hold a big backlog like GAME can.

If you follow some of them on twitter, I think The Game Collection have mentioned they won't carry some games if they can't get stock & sell them at a ''competitive'' price, the most recent being the Nathan Drake Collectors Edition.

The UK is a difficult market and it won't change anytime soon especially with GAME pulling the strings off all the games for any collectors edition stock.

In the US they have target, best buy walmart etc all competiting and wanting the business, in the UK Tesco, ASDA, Sainsburys and other retailers aren't that interested in most games just the FIFA & COD which they do deals for when you spend cash in store not with the rest.

Amazon are Amazon and people will continue to use them for reliability and prices, they don't bother much for any collectors editions and then the smaller stores like Simply Games, Gameseek, Game Collection just can't afford to bring the collectors edition stock in, they generally get enough to cover them just over their pre-orders and they can't hold a big backlog like GAME can.

If you follow some of them on twitter, I think The Game Collection have mentioned they won't carry some games if they can't get stock & sell them at a ''competitive'' price, the most recent being the Nathan Drake Collectors Edition.

Summary: GAME need to die! Sorry GAME employees but at least the economy is picking up

Zemm

Packaging for the pins looks nicer than the pins themselves. Seriously considering starting a list of GAME blunders.

This isn't really a blunder but more of a scum move, but remember when GAME weren't allowed to sell Mass Effect 3 and instead put all their used copies in the #1 section and stuck the price tag over the '2' on the box to try and fool some people into buying that instead?

Game_Store_Mass_Effect_2.jpg

Top Bottom