• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME UK charging £329 to customers for Mario Maker - Eurogamer

Ouch. That would send the majority of gamers I know overdrawn...

I've only ever been overdrawn once, and that was when I was a teenager. Under £1 overdrawn, and got an £80 fine - Thanks, Natwest.

I hope GAME sort something out for them, but I doubt it.

How old were you? I got overdrawn by a small amount over a similar issue with Gamestop (they charged for a game I'd cancelled months afterwards due to an error) and I didn't get charged - I was under 18 though. It was also Natwest.

MilkyJoe

Misleading thread title, that implies they are profiteering or something. It's just an accident and it could have happened with any game.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is the first time in a long time I've used GAME to buy a game for myself. Not exactly a good impression to set. I like that after they apparently fixed everything I got charged twice again.

Well at least I'm now potentially a proud owner of 50% of Super Mario Maker's UK stock.

Thankfully I didn't order from Game UK since my local independent store said he'd keep me a special edition but people should ask for compensation for fees that will be giving out for this.

I don't know what the rules are here for CEO email but you can easily find GAME UK , CEO email easily enough. I had to email him a few months ago after the customer service team refused to help my kid sister with an issue with her Majora's Mask Special Edition since it didn't come with the promised pin.

After he received an email the guys at customer service were quick to help as well.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Why do people still shop at GAME?

No Seriously? Why?

I mean I get it but these guys still have more than 35% market share in the UK which is something that shouldn't happen when they're not competitive with anyone and there is always a fuck up with every game release of some sort, ALL THE TIME.

Misleading thread title, that implies they are profiteering or something. It's just an accident and it could have happened with any game.

It's the second time it's happened in what? A month, what was the last one again?

I'm not suggesting this is a money grab but to fuck this up twice in what is a fairly serious way is pretty unforgivable. They already have such a bad reputation.

I'm slightly concerned that a) my order hasn't been shipped and b) that they have removed the pre-order bonus from their website.

I'm also a bit concerned about the free t-shirt I was supposed to get for being one of the first 10k to order the Fallout 4 Pipboy thing, I'm sure I qualified but now I check my emails there is no mention of it.

MilkyJoe

No Seriously? Why?

I mean I get it but these guys still have more than 35% market share in the UK which is something that shouldn't happen when they're not competitive with anyone.

Trade ins, innit...

No Seriously? Why?

I mean I get it but these guys still have more than 35% market share in the UK which is something that shouldn't happen when they're not competitive with anyone and there is always a fuck up with every game release of some sort, ALL THE TIME.

They get stuff in terms of Special / Exclusive editions that no one else has.

That's it really.

They are fucking atrocious at everything.

If this had happened at Amazon they would be doing everything to keep me happy.

GAME tell me they have the issue under control then charge me some more and dont even bother to get back in touch.

fedexpeon

Banned

It could have been worse.
Just wait until someone gets kick out of their apartment because a rent check got bounced because of pending charges.
Now he will have to call GAME that they destroyed his life, and they owe him for his late rent late and secure deposit.

Or his kids are starving for 2 days because GAME couldn't clear the pending charges fast enough and his card is rejecting due to negative pending balance.
Or he can be in jail for eating without paying since he has no cash or card in hands.
Sad stuff man, sad stuff can happen from this.

It could have been worse.
Just wait until someone gets kick out of their apartment because a rent check got bounced because of pending charges.
Now he will have to call GAME that they destroyed his life, and they owe him for his late rent late and secure deposit.

Or his kids are starving for 2 days because GAME couldn't clear the pending charges fast enough and his card is rejecting due to negative pending balance.
Or he can be in jail for eating without paying since he has no cash or card in hands.
Sad stuff man, sad stuff can happen from this.

I can't even tell if people are joking anymore. The internet has just thrown my alignment totally out of whack for sarcasm for how crazy some people can be.

there are times in my life where I would have been absolutely fucked by something like this happening to me.

When I was struggling that badly for money, I wasn't pre-ordering computer games.

No one will lose out financially due to this, everything will be refunded before long, it's just inconvenient in the meantime.

When I was struggling that badly for money, I wasn't pre-ordering computer games.

No one will lose out financially due to this, everything will be refunded before long, it's just inconvenient in the meantime.

Bully for you. People will lose out financially from this as has been stated several times because banks often make punitive charges when unauthorised incursions beyond the agreed overdraft are made. These can be very expensive.

Yes, by rights, these charges should be made good by the retailer but that is often easier said than done, particularly when the retailer in question has a reputation for bad customer service.

It's easy to see how someone could miss a rent or a mortgage payment or get stranded somewhere with no funds to buy a train ticket. Or have the embarrassment of having their card declined at a restaurant or petrol station.

You imply that anyone who is affected in that way only has their own financial mismanagement to blame but I think that's unfair. Many people in their late teens and twenties live month to month as they wait for their salary to increase and their career to take off. They budget for their rent, food, transport and if there is plenty left over, they might order a game or something else, just for fun. That doesn't mean they somehow "have it coming" if they get charged for that game six times and it puts them into the red. That's like £250.

Wow, GAME is a turd. Just read a horror story on Eurogamer where one guy couldn't use his credit card to pay for his groceries, phoned his bank and found out GAME had been charging him for an amiiboo over 200 times over the last two days, making his pending total -£1200.

GAME are awful and always have been. They love screwing their customers. Ordered a PS4 from them and the order never went through. They claimed they never took my money but my bank statement said otherwise. Took about 5 months for me to get my money back. Seriously, they are terrible.

JoeM86

Wow, GAME is a turd. Just read a horror story on Eurogamer where one guy couldn't use his credit card to pay for his groceries, phoned his bank and found out GAME had been charging him for an amiiboo over 200 times over the last two days, making his pending total -£12,000.

What the hell??

Hmmmm, I had a similar (but much more extreme) issue at the end of June which caused my bank to suspend my card - much to the inconvenience to me as I discovered as such when (trying) to pay for a shop in Sainsbury's!

I then phoned my bank to find out why and they then told me my pending payements to my bank account (of a blance over £1000) took me to -£1200, well over my overdraft. When asked what this was the woman from my bank just gasped and said "oh God!" - Game had charged me £14.99 over 200 times for a Ganondorf amiibo!!! They were charging every 15 to 45 minutes for 2 days prior. Of course I kept the card suspended as those charges were still occuring. They managed to fit 2 in whilst I was on the phone (luckily the bank was declining them). After speaking with Game they finally succeeded in stopping trying to take payments after another 2 days.

My money was never taken by Game, but kept in a suspended state until it was overdue being claimed 5 working days later.

In order to pay my rent, I was advised to claim for an extension of my overdraft from £500 to £1500 and had to borrow £1000 (my rent) from a family member. I was livid and stressed for days.

Happily though, they gave me the amiibo for free and all my money back...

After more complaining, by me stating that was not satisfactory, they eventually (two weeks later, so not actually that much time) phoned for my bank details (the cheek I thought) so they could transfer £250 compensation into my account.

Still haven't spent any money with them since and doubt I will again - well that is my plan, but I sense them having an exclusive bundle/collector's edition offer on something in the future that I won't be able to resist!

the post on Eurogamer.

WTF?

Mandelbo

Wow, GAME is a turd. Just read a horror story on Eurogamer where one guy couldn't use his credit card to pay for his groceries, phoned his bank and found out GAME had been charging him for an amiiboo over 200 times over the last two days, making his pending total -£1200.

That sounds awful! This kind of thing could really cripple people financially. Really glad I didn't preorder from GAME :/ (ironically, because I don't want to spend too much money where it's not necessary right now!)

Bully for you. People will lose out financially from this as has been stated several times because banks often make punitive charges when unauthorised incursions beyond the agreed overdraft are made. These can be very expensive.

Yes, by rights, these charges should be made good by the retailer but that is often easier said than done, particularly when the retailer in question has a reputation for bad customer service.

It's easy to see how someone could miss a rent or a mortgage payment or get stranded somewhere with no funds to buy a train ticket. Or have the embarrassment of having their card declined at a restaurant or petrol station.

You imply that anyone who is affected in that way only has their own financial mismanagement to blame but I think that's unfair. Many people in their late teens and twenties live month to month as they wait for their salary to increase and their career to take off. They budget for their rent, food, transport and if there is plenty left over, they might order a game or something else, just for fun. That doesn't mean they somehow "have it coming" if they get charged for that game six times and it puts them into the red. That's like £250.

Bully for me, sure. Look, if £300 is the difference between having food and shelter and not having food and shelter, then you shouldn't be spending £50 on computer games. That's not just about financial management, it's about being responsible.

And yes, GAME will refund all this stuff, and no one will lose out. If someone genuinely loses money because of this then I will eat a hat. As I said before, GAME are a shit company for many reasons but they're not going to steal peoples' money or leave them out of pocket, because that's a line that even a shit company like GAME won't cross. Choose to believe whatever else you like, but I'm not wrong about this.

munroe

Depends on how long they take to refund everyone. If they hold onto it long enough then maybe they will profit. Either way it always seems to be GAME which keeps cropping up.

Sorry toythatkills, this is a terrible post that only highlights two things. You are luckily terribly out of touch with most people's financial situations. And that though you believe you don't deserve your tag - you really just earned it.

munroe

As I said before, GAME are a shit company for many reasons but they're not going to steal peoples' money or leave them out of pocket, because that's a line that even a shit company like GAME won't cross. Choose to believe whatever else you like, but I'm not wrong about this.

Depends if it forces someone into their overdraft, if it's an unauthorised overdraft pending on the bank, charges can be substantial

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Bully for me, sure. Look, if £300 is the difference between having food and shelter and not having food and shelter, then you shouldn't be spending £50 on computer games. That's not just about financial management, it's about being responsible.

Set aside a tenner a month and you can then afford to treat yourself to a new game after five. I can't believe you're victim blaming in this scenario.

Pearson

Banned
Is this anything other than slightly inconvenient. They'll get the money back.

If this has made you completely skint then maybe you shouldn't have spent the money on the game..

Bazry

Checked my bank account, 7 transactions pending from GAME, £0 available in my bank account :/

I've transfered money over from our joint account to cover this amount until its sorted, just hoping none of my direct debits from my account were knocked back whilst there was nothing available

Ayt

Banned

And yes, GAME will refund all this stuff, and no one will lose out. If someone genuinely loses money because of this then I will eat a hat. As I said before, GAME are a shit company for many reasons but they're not going to steal peoples' money or leave them out of pocket, because that's a line that even a shit company like GAME won't cross. Choose to believe whatever else you like, but I'm not wrong about this.

What an ignorant comment.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is this anything other than slightly inconvenient. They'll get the money back.

If this has made you completely skint then maybe you shouldn't have spent the money on the game..

Or perhaps they were expecting only £50 to be withdrawn and didn't take into account GAME's £300 "tip". haven't you even read the thread to see the examples of why this can be a huge bother.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Lot of corporate apology crap on show in here, always sad to see. "Bu-bu-but dont buy games if you cant afford them!". Affording £40 is one thing, but then seeing over £300 fly out is not how people that arent stockpiling thousands of pounds effortlessly live their lives. Get a grip and understand those not as fortunate as yourselves.

I dont understand how this happened the first time, let alone again, to a player thats been in the industry for so long and now they can't even charge cards right? Die off, just end already. They should be sued as well due to any overdraft charges they may be incurring over this shit.

Pearson

Banned
Or perhaps they were expecting only £50 to be withdrawn and didn't take into account GAME's £300 "tip". haven't you even read the thread to see the examples of why this can be a huge bother.

I commented after reading the opening post. But I've since read through some of the problems its caused people so yes I was wrong and jumped the gun on my comment.

Morinaga

Well Im never going to pre-order anything from GAME after hearing this.

If they can deduct 7x times the cost from alot of thier pre-order customers, what is to say they can fix it.

I believe they will try and resolve the issue and it hasnt been done intentionally, but this is a big screw up (for any company it would be) and its happened before. I dont think there is evidence to suggest they can completely fix it.

You're way off on this. Give it up.

I am guessing they put all orders into the console bundle?
Seems like a processing error.

Edit: 7 orders instead of 1, how did you screw up that bad?

I am guessing they put all orders into the console bundle?
Seems like a processing error.

No, they literately charged people 7 times for the same product. It was around 4/5 times yesterday, they said they will solve the issue in 24 hrs, 12 hours pass and people are charged twice again (bringing it up to a total of £329)

Skele7on

Banned

Man your victim blame game is on point today.

You'd be first to bore us with an ultra boring story in regards to you getting done over in BGAF, give over.

rectorpoor.JPG

Sorry toythatkills, this is a terrible post that only highlights two things. You are luckily terribly out of touch with most people's financial situations. And that though you believe you don't deserve your tag - you really just earned it.

I spent a pretty long period of my life eating 10p packs of noodles for dinner, or days-old bread with mould scraped off of it with soup (this felt like a luxury) and having no idea if I was going to be able to pay the rent next month. I know there are people worse off even than that, but I know what it's like to have fuck all money and in this period I didn't spend money on frivolous stuff. I'm better off now, not exactly rolling in it but more comfortable than I was so yeah, I do consider myself lucky, but don't give me shit about being "out of touch" with people who have no money. I've been there.

If we can come back to this thread in a week and anyone can claim that they truly are worse off financially due to this fuck-up by GAME, then I will happily admit that I was wrong about GAME having the intention to properly fix this.

Set aside a tenner a month and you can then afford to treat yourself to a new game after five. I can't believe you're victim blaming in this scenario.

Victim blaming? What?

My point is that there are no "victims" in the long-term. No one will lose money. People will be inconvenienced for a day but they'll get back everything they "lose." That includes bank charges and whatever else.

Also, I didn't have a tenner a month to set aside during the period above. Ten pounds is a lot of money when you have none, I could eat for nearly two weeks on that.

going overdrawn randomly at the wrong time of the month can fuck people up, i've been in situations where something went wrong and I lost all my money for a week, this resulted in other bills also bouncing it was like a chain reaction of bad.

I doubt game will cover everyones bank fees, they are a shit company who refuse to take a tablet back within a month period because the charge pin broke and this is a store where one of my best friend's bro's is a fucking manager there.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I spent a pretty long period of my life eating 10p packs of noodles for dinner, or days-old bread with mould scraped off of it with soup (this felt like a luxury) and having no idea if I was going to be able to pay the rent next month. I know there are people worse off even than that, but I know what it's like to have fuck all money and in this period I didn't spend money on frivolous stuff. I'm better off now, not exactly rolling in it but more comfortable than I was so yeah, I do consider myself lucky, but don't give me shit about being "out of touch" with people who have no money. I've been there.

If we can come back to this thread in a week and anyone can claim that they truly are worse off financially due to this fuck-up by GAME, then I will happily admit that I was wrong about GAME having the intention to properly fix this.

I've seen this "I came from nothing too!!" roar from people that then go on to show a startling lack of empathy too many times. Once you've made it, you're not supposed to then go on to stick the boot in to make you feel better about your own struggle. Thats pettiness.

What are you even defending here and why? You're worried big business is getting piled on too much? That its preposterous someone could go from comfortably having £47 to spend in their account but not 7 times that and a whopping £327 blast past their overdraft limit with no warning?

Reassess your position and begin to question why you strangely displaying anger at those caught out by this and rightfully pissed off and griping.

Top Bottom