• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME [UK] Experimenting with eSports, Game Cafe', VR areas in store?

Gowans

I just popped into the Metro Centre store waiting for a pickup from something in another shop and saw this all being set up, looked very under construction.

Sorry about the quick post and bad picks I'm on the move.

Esports Area with PCs and Gaming Chairs

2zJTD6v.jpg

tawwZz7.jpg

XBEPEnr.jpg

A sofa / hangout area

1bT3Q9s.jpg

And a walk in booth area near the VR shelves.

adljGX9.jpg

DJIzana

Vancouver already has a VR lounge in the public, here, I'm Canada. I personally think it's a waste but meh. Just me.

Ikkarus

They'll charge you for the privilege I'm sure.

It's good to try out VR but charging for the experience is wrong in my opinion.

Gowans

It's Defo a pivot, it would be somewhere to go for me while the Mrs shopped here but the kids would have to be dropped at their grans.

Will be interested so see how it works and god for them.

I did try to get the prices on the creek when they popped up for a few seconds.

GeeTeeCee

Wait, the Metro Centre as in the one at Gateshead? It's been a long time since I've been in there, I don't remember any of the GAME stores being that big.

The prices to even sit in that lounge will be obscene, I'm sure.

Rushster

Neo Member
There are a few of these already open in the UK as GAME moves more toward esports, hence the acquisition on Multiplay a couple of years ago.

I actually ran a gaming cafe in 1995-1999 in the UK and it did well until the advent of easy access broadband. We were doing events and esport stuff back then before esport event existed as a thing. In the following years many gaming cafes failed to make it and subsequently closed down. High costs of rent and rates, inability to charge much for playing etc. It all adds up to making it a non-starter. GAME will be able to suck up those costs but it could end up not going anywhere.

I am struggling to see this being a success because of the location. Inside is store is not exactly a relaxing environment. I know our punters language could get rather fruity ;)

Gowans

Wait, the Metro Centre as in the one at Gateshead? It's been a long time since I've been in there, I don't remember any of the GAME stores being that big.

The prices to even sit in that lounge will be obscene, I'm sure.
Yup that's the one, they moved to a double space

I understood gaming stores tended to turn off demo units at times when there will be lots of children (though my favorite retail story is how an employee would just put terrible games in there like superman 64) to stop parents using them as free daycare so having a whole section of the store just like that seems odd.

These rooms will stink
I think going to Games Workshop for a few years (about 18 years ago) has made me immune to unwashed stink :(

But yeah these rooms will be sticky too...did you spot the vending machine and the box of Walkers Crisps near the sofa?

Spaghetti

Getting fond memories of Birmingham's GameStation and the downstairs area with the sofas and retro gaming section.

Sigh.

Yeah this seems like Game's very late initiative to replace GamerBase.

This could be the same chap who used to run GB's idea, or someone else at Game. EDIT: That chap doesn't work for Game anymore, so it's someone else at Game, so this is something that's culturally separate.

As it stands I'll be attempting to champion fighting games at the Trafford Centre one, and I'll see how it goes.

Kyari

Wow, first time for everything I guess? Every time I've been to that GAME its empty save for a handful of parents trying to take a load off from the christmas shopping.

Gowans

The sofas have consoles and big TVs there's 4 double sofas in that snug with a vending machine.

A £5 for an hour is away better than getting dragged round primark with the Mrs.

Top Bottom