• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game UK to stop selling pre-owned games

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Yes - there seems to be a pattern emerging here on business models!! From GAME's website

Standard Delivery 3 to 5 days* £4.99 per order
Express Delivery - 48 Hours 2 days* £7.99 per order
Next working day (inc. Saturday) if ordered before 7pm* £9.99 per order

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm surprised Game still exists.

15 years ago there were two Game stores in my town, plus a GameStation and an independent store. Now there is just a small Game in the crusty Sports Direct store.

How times change.

Nitty_Grimes

GameStation rocked - that's why GAME as the competitor took them over and closed them all down.

My HMV had an entire floor devoted to games. Then there was Virgin Megastore plus the indies like you say.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I thought the way they made money was by selling used games at new game prices (I never understood why anyone bought them though).

Nitty_Grimes

I thought the way they made money was by selling used games at new game prices (I never understood why anyone bought them though).
xJismTo.png
6nv06g7.png

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Nah. They will always be available for AAA games and niche titles. Only smaller indie games won't get them (like it is currently). The games will likely only be available via online (Amazon, Target and Walmart type places)
I hate to break this to you, but there is a high possiblity the next gen consoles will be digital only

StereoVsn

Keep dreaming
What is the evidence that you have to the effect of Sony not going forward with physical media?

Besides useless replies that is?

Considering that Sony, unlike MS, is heavily relying on a lot of markets where physical media is very important, it would be foolish for them to completely abandon it within 4 years.

But sure, I will keep dreaming.

NickFire

Sony is not going to be all digital for PS6. It will be like the current version, disk bundled with one of the SKUs.
Maybe. But I think the disc option is the final step towards dropping it altogether, not evidence of future intent. Just one man's guess though.

hinch7

Isn't that a reason why to pop into GAME? No one is going to buy overpriced games from their stores when you can order from Amazon. A shame that CEX is the only real presence for retail in the UK for video games and they only really sell preowned stuff.

Also can't even recall seeing many GAME stores around. Aren't the stores part of Sport Direct these days?

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Who remembers Gamestation? They were always a better retailer than Game before they got merged under the same brand. Wouldn't surprise me if Game shut down all together within the next 5-10 years, hopefully we'll see a rise in boutique retro game stores as a result.

Top Bottom