• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game UK to stop selling pre-owned games

angrod14

Meh, Sonys own sales records showed that isn't the case. Digital is a valid, it has its place but majority still want physical goods.
It is on the decline, though. Physical market is still there, but it's shrinking, while digital grows. It's a certainty digital distribution will continue in the next consoles, yet it is uncertain for how long physical will hold on.

Last edited:
They'll start by not allowing trade-ins from February 2024.

They will continue to sell all pre-owned games they still have until they run out of them.

tylrdiablos

Haven't GAME almost gone bankrupt twice now?
The last time I went in one there was a huge aisle with nothing but Funko Pops... that weren't getting any attention. (There was hundreds of the damn things.)
How they've survived this long is beyond me.

Mephisto40

Last edited:

Calverz

Gold Member
Happy Well Done GIF by Top Talent

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Holy shit, thats wild! it was where they made the majority of their money. I imagine the sales of plastic tat must be working.

CEX seems to attract some proper wrongen's.

Their customers aren't much better either.

There's a constant vape cloud outside each CEX store.
It's just a magnet for the piss and drug heads in my area, hate the shop. In saying that just walking around the streets in my area you can smell blow/weed being puffed away with out a care in the world or any worry of the Police.
The Police like 2nd hand gaming are a relic from the past.

Mephisto40

What you said is miss leading, its 4% of total revenue. The split if you actually read the article is 70/30 in terms of unit sales.
And it doesnt make a lot of sense in the long run for them to be pumping money into producing physical game disks and cases when it's only generating 4% of their annual revenue, you can sure as hell bet producing all thiese discs and packaging is eating into their revenue more than it's producing for them

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
And it doesnt make a lot of sense in the long run for them to be pumping money into producing physical game disks and cases when it's only generating 4% of their annual revenue, you can sure as hell bet producing all thiese discs and packaging is eating into their revenue more than it's producing for them
What? of course it makes sense.

1) you don't cut off a significant revenue stream.

2) You keep 30% of your customers happy.

reektann

I stuck my head into a Game the other week - everything appeared to be £49.99 or £69.99

Last edited:

Mephisto40

What? of course it makes sense.

1) you don't cut off a significant revenue stream.

2) You keep 30% of your customers happy.
4% of your revenue stream is not "significant"

The 30% of customers will buy games digital instead if the physical option isnt available any more

Portugeezer

Gold Member
People probably realised their used game priced were absolute shit.

I never bought used there, price was basically the same as new.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sonys total sales for the past quarter show only about 4% of people bought games physical
The Insomniac leak disproved this, Physical was actually was double or more of Digital.
The 4% figure is from revenue that includes everything.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Physical game sales RIP

This is the beginning of the end
Nah. They will always be available for AAA games and niche titles. Only smaller indie games won't get them (like it is currently). The games will likely only be available via online (Amazon, Target and Walmart type places)

kiphalfton

Gold Member
As long as they stop opening sealed games then sell them as new at the same time.

Are you talking about GameStop? Because that sucks if Game does it as well.

Side note, I never quite understood how they haven't had a class action lawsuit filed against them, as "new" condition is clear what exactly it should constitute.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Are you talking about GameStop? Because that sucks if Game does it as well.

Side note, I never quite understood how they haven't had a class action lawsuit filed against them, as "new" condition is clear what exactly it should constitute.
GAME do it as well and charge full whack when you point out its now second hand as it is open they give you some shit.

To be honest cannot remember the last time I frequented a GAME as like I say they've retreated into Sports Direct shops where I live and not one near to me.

NickFire

Sounds like the final chapter for gaming specialty stores is being written. Probably would have been inevitable eventually, but I do think the corporate growth / greed mentality caused early onset of the final illness. The benefits of buying used games in stores seem to be offset by the cost of driving to said store.

kiphalfton

Gold Member
GAME do it as well and charge full whack when you point out its now second hand as it is open they give you some shit.

To be honest cannot remember the last time I frequented a GAME as like I say they've retreated into Sports Direct shops where I live and not one near to me.

GameStop does the same thing when you point out you want a sealed copy. Must be some sort of BS management drills into their head during training (do this, that, etc., lest you want to be disciplined).

I used to go there a lot. They had some absolutely killer trade promos, and used game sale promos, but it's mostly dried up in the past year or two.

Sounds like the final chapter for gaming specialty stores is being written. Probably would have been inevitable eventually, but I do think the corporate growth / greed mentality caused early onset of the final illness. The benefits of buying used games in stores seem to be offset by the cost of driving to said store.

No point buying online either, if it's like GameStop; they charge $11 for shipping, if under $79 threshold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom