• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamefly Subscription Price increasing

Do you subscribe to a rental service?

• Yes, Gamefly

• No, not available to me

• No, not interested

• No, something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Topher

Gold Member

New Members: You may select between the following introductory offers:

• FREE 30-day trial membership
  • 3-month introductory rate for budget plan allows 1 game or movies out at a time starting at $7.00 plus tax/month
  • 3-month introductory rate for 1 game or movie out at a time starting at $11.50 plus tax/month
  • 3-month introductory rate for 2 games or movies out at a time starting at $16.50 plus tax/month
  • 3-month introductory rate for Elite 2 games or movies out at a time starting at $21.00 plus tax/month

Existing Members: Our standard GameFly plans earn Member Rewards https://www.gamefly.com/rewards and have a 30-Day GameLock window. Any member can choose between the following plans:

• 1-Disc Plan - One game or movie out at a time for $17.95 plus tax/month
  • 2-Disc Plan - Two games or movies out at a time for $25.95 plus tax/month

Once you've been a paying member for at least 2 regular priced months, you may see an upgrade notification on your Account to upgrade to the 3-disc plan. Once you complete a full month on the 3-disc plan we do offer a 4-disc plan upgrade as well. Eligible members in good standing, can upgrade to one of the following expanded plans:

• 3-Disc Plan - Three games or movies out at a time for $32.95 plus tax/month
  • 4-Disc Plan - Four games or movies out at a time for $39.95 plus tax/month

We also offer Elite Plans. Elite Memberships have Two 7-Day GameLock slots, get early access to our monthly sale, as well as our Member Rewards https://www.gamefly.com/rewards

• 2-Disc Elite Plan - Two games or movies out at a time for $32.95 plus tax/month
  • 3-Disc Elite Plan - Three games or movies out at a time for $39.95 plus tax/month
  • 4-Disc Elite Plan - Four games or movies out at a time for $46.95 plus tax/month

We also offer a budget plan, which allows you to rent select games that have been out longer than 30 days and do not qualify for our Member Rewards. Here is a link of available games - Budget Game Page

• Budget plan - allows you to rent select titles over 30 days old for $10.95 plus tax/month

I was paying $22.95 and now it is $25.95. I'm planning on getting FF XVI next week, but after that I'm probably dropping down to the budget tier for a while. I'm buying Baldur's Gate 3, Spider-man 2 and Starfield. Between those and Diablo 4, I'm probably good for the rest of the year.

Anyone else subscribe to GameFly?

Mr Hyde

First time I hear about it. Is it like Game Pass and PS Plus? Or can you rent all new games that releases?

diffusionx

Gold Member
ZKuHrXM.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love GameFly - but I only buy their pre-owned games when they have their semiregular "blowout" sales.

Their subscription seems pretty pricey, and would only really pencil out if you typically bought every AAA game that released.

Topher

Gold Member
First time I hear about it. Is it like Game Pass and PS Plus? Or can you rent all new games that releases?

It is a game disc rental service just like Netflix used to be. You put games you want into a queue and if the game at the top of your queue is available then they mail it to you. Send it back and then they send you the next game in your queue. And so on....

Last edited:
It is a game disc rental service just like Netflix used to be. You put games you want into a queue and if the game at the top of your queue is available then they mail it to you. Send it back and then they send you the next game in your queue. And so on....
Exactly this. I used it when it was new for a month or two to try it out, but I'd rather buy my games.

feynoob

Banned
It's renting for new games.
It's better way to play a new game for cheap.

The problem however is that you have to protect that disc and hope you don't damage it.

Think of it like red box or blockbuster.

Topher

Gold Member
It's renting for new games.
It's better way to play a new game for cheap.

The problem however is that you have to protect that disc and hope you don't damage it.

Think of it like red box or blockbuster.

The other problem is the possibility of the disc getting "lost" in the mail. I had that happen recently. I can't help but think Gamefly would do well to make their mailing envelopes a bit more inconspicuous.

feynoob

Banned
The other problem is the possibility of the disc getting "lost" in the mail. I had that happen recently. I can't help but think Gamefly would do well to make their mailing envelopes a bit more inconspicuous.
One of the reasons why I don't play around with these stuff.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I used Gamefly early on in the 360 era. Was great at seeing the lemons that were the 2K baseball games. Stopped about 2 to 3 years or so in that gen.

Sinfulgore

I used to use Gamefly when you could buy 3-month gift certificates for $36. So many games now have so little replay value, I hate spending $60+ on a game I will play through once and then never again. Now I just buy games cheap on Facebook marketplace. I was able to pick up Hogwarts Legacy from someone for $10 then resold it for $30 after I beat it lol

El Muerto

Doesnt surprise me. I thought it was going to be $20 when i saw the email on my phone until i clicked on it. I've been subscribed for maybe 10 years, stopped when the next gen consoles came out as there was nothing good to play. Now i'm back at 4 months subbed. Getting coupons to keep the game and $5 off every month is great along with the discounts makes it really nice. Games are always cheap too. Never had any problems.

Nydius

I used to be subbed a long time back but my issue with them was always that I wanted to play new releases and even if I had put them at the top of my queue, I’d not see them for several months. Plus, it felt like most of my subscription time was spent waiting for games in transit rather than playing them.

I realize they’re trying to address the new game issue with GameLock but I can’t see it helping much. There will always be a finite amount of copies they get at launch compared to the number of people who want to play it at launch.

Nah I was using GameFly since february of this year and it’s better than what people think. I beat Dead Space, destroy all humans 2, Dead Island 2 and played Hogwarts, wolong, shadow warrior 3, Gotham knights, Callisto protocol, resident evil 4, sonic frontiers, atomic heart, mlb the show, and wild hearts . I rent the game and if I beat it I send it back and on to the next. The good thing is this, if you want to keep the game, it’s always going to be a lower price than Retail even on day 1.

Edit: I’ll be renting some Switch games soon.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We are up to three!

Soon.....
Arrested Development Tobias GIF

My copy of Aliens Descent is coming by tomorrow so I'm not complaining lol

also I've used multiple emails to make new accounts with the same credit card over the last couple of years, so I don't think they're really strict about 1 account per address at all, the 'new members' 3 month rates are fucking fantastic to use in a window with a bunch of games coming out

Rayderism

Never used it. All these years as a gamer and I didn't even know it was a video game rental service. I thought it was some kind of videogame review site owner name. :messenger_confounded:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Can you get Playstation games there as well? For whatever reason Ps5 exklusives are forbidden for rental in Germany.

Last edited:

DryvBy

I was paying $22.95 and now it is $25.95. I'm planning on getting FF XVI next week, but after that I'm probably dropping down to the budget tier for a while. I'm buying Baldur's Gate 3, Spider-man 2 and Starfield. Between those and Diablo 4, I'm probably good for the rest of the year.

Anyone else subscribe to GameFly?

Same here. After I saw this it'll be cheaper just to do whaf I do now: rent games I want, keep when they go on sale.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
No biggie. Still cheaper buying games that I won’t replay, like FF16 and Pikmin 4.

The majority of games aren’t worth the money they cost, or my investment time. So it makes more sense for me to pay $25 a month in June to get both Diablo 4 and Final Fantasy 16.

Last edited:

LRKD

gamefly always sounded decent, but never necessarily. Renting games to try out is great, but with how easy it is now to look up many reviews, and clips of gameplay I don't often feel the need to try before when most gaming news was from magazine subscriptions with a few screenshots, and a single review.

And If I were to rent I'd rather go to a block buster, or some other brick store. it's much more fun to go in person and browse a selection of games to rent, then just select one off a web site. Gets you out of the house, and a good excuse to pick up some weekend snacks or a pizza or something. Gamefly just isn't quite the same experience.

reinking

Gold Member
I used to love Gamefly but they lost me when they started making changes to add things like Gamelock and elite plans. While Gamelock sounds great on the surface I managed my queue prior to that and only missed one new release in many years of subscribing. I prefer services to be simple and straight forward and Gamefly started getting away from that. Plus, they had shut down using gift certificates (for the discount) at one point.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gamefly? That is from the ancient times. Back when there were video stores and socialization.
Reminds me of those fruit toffees they don't make anymore.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

WOW! I honestly didn't know gamefly was still around. I tried it back in the day but kept not getting my discs so I said screw it. Later on it turned out some postal worker was stealing people's mail and a lot of it was gamefly discs and I was one of those affected by that. However by then I'd moved on.

Occasionally I still wonder what happened in that case.

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I used to sub back in the 360/PS3 days, and it was great. But nowadays I find myself not having the time to try as many games. Plus with GamePass it just seems like a bad investment.

Sinfulgore

This is exactly why so many games are full of MTX or GAAS.
I agree but I personally don't mind it. Ideally, games would be priced based on how much content they offer and not just make most games $60+ just because then just drop the price months later when no one is buying it like they did with that Guardians of the Galaxy game.

Top Bottom