• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#GameFreakLied Sword and Shield Models are 3DS Ports

So let's just not be fans of these games. Let's just be fans of this type of game. It happens to most good game series. It happens in sports, too. It just doesn't pay to become entrenched as a fan of any particular thing. After a while, you're just rooting for the brand, the name, or, in the case of sports, the laundry. I don't root for corporate entities, and I'm not really a fan of brands.

And do trust me, it happens to nearly all brands. I bought a Legend bass boat back when they were considered #1 in the boat industry for quality and customer support. Since then, they've changed CEO's and been bought out by Bass Pro Shops. Their facility is still there in Arkansas, but they don't make anything resembling the boats that once made that place famous...

Well, that's easier said than done, though.
Like, I'm almost 34 years old now, but I still get that Pokemon itch from time to time. Noone really makes games like this.
It's the Bethesda problem: I hate their guts but they're the only ones offering this specific experience.

As I've said, more than half of my life I've followed and supported these games and their developer. And now I just see them trying to coast by on that history.
It's just really weird for me to think "yeah, I'm done with their shit", while simultaneously thinking it might just be a fun enough game.

But yeah, I'm done with their bullshit for now. Not buying these games, not even used.
I can only hope masses of people feel the same way as me, and get GF to correct their path. I'm just not very confident in that thought.

The mass market just fucks enthusiasts over, 99% of the time. We're helpless, so all we can do is to be as loud and as constant in our citicism...only to be called toxic, whiners and manbabies.

I really don't know why I even bother anymore. The series clearly left people like me behind years ago.

Zannegan

Maybe I am missing something here.

"The game has 400 Pokemon instead of 800 to lighten the workload."

Now, that seems like common sense to me.

The argument against it seems to be people trying ever so hard to prove that they didn't lighten their workload at all and should have included and extra 400ish Pokemon because that takes the same amount of work.

Reminds me of people crying over Ubisoft not including a playable female character in one of their Assassins Creed games and when Ubisoft said "you know that involves a lot of work right" the argument changed to proving that it isn't actually that much work and Ubisoft are just lazy.

For me, unless you actually work at Game Freak you have NO IDEA what the working conditions are like and you have NO IDEA how much these people put into the game.

Crack on with the "lazy developers" line though. I am sure you're an expert.

I think you could make the argument that they could have put more time and money into the development of the game and maybe delay release by a year or two to get things just right but I'm not buying the "game freak are lazy" line.

Cutting the number of characters in the game by half will obviously lighten their workload and allow them to focus on other things. That's common sense.
I'm not what you'd call rabidly on either side of the issue. I sympathize with Gamefreak's impossible task of keeping everyone happy with such a massive and long-running series. On the other hand, I am always disappointed by the marked lack of ambition they show in terms of introducing ANYTHING NEW of substance, gen after gen. The issue here for most people isn't GF's management of the series, it's that they may have flat-out lied to justify an unpopular design decision (which didn't need justifying in the first place, IMO, but whatever).

I agree that a lot of people call out "laziness" from their own ignorance, but you don't have to be an industry insider to compare the output of similarly-sized studios or similarly successful brands and draw accurate conclusions about the priorities of the developers.

To your point, IF the models have not been updated from the 3DS games, and IF there has not been significant new animations added to the game for each Pokemon, then what effort exactly have they saved by cutting the dex in half? There's also a wide gulf between what Gamefreak is delivering here and a game where "every little thing" is perfect, so it's not like they were faced with an either/or.

NOTE: I don't think GF owes their audience a damn thing, except the truth. I also don't think the audience owes GF anything either. So if GF doesn't make the product they wanted, they're free to dislike it, not buy it, and even whine on the internet about it. *shrug*

DerFuggler

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they cut so much content to get the game to fit on the smallest capacity Switch cartridge available... to bump their profits up.

Kind of feels like Game Freak are damned if they do and damned if the don't at this stage.
I think they could've gone with a truly ambitious project (Like what BotW did for Zelda) which would have given them an acceptable excuse to cut some of the expected features and content, or they could've just made the same old thing they've always done, but people would expect the game to be extremely polished and complete.

They seem to have gone for the second option, but the resulting game seems to lack the content and polish people would expect from that. I think that's where the problem lies. On top of that, the game's actually a bit more expensive than they were in the past. It feels like consumers are sacrificing a lot, and they're not getting all that much in return.

I think it's fair people are disappointed and angry, though I personally wouldn't do the whole #gamefreaklied thing and all that. Then again, I'm not a hardcore Pokémon fan.

Saber

Gold Member
Maybe I am missing something here.

"The game has 400 Pokemon instead of 800 to lighten the workload."

Now, that seems like common sense to me.

The argument against it seems to be people trying ever so hard to prove that they didn't lighten their workload at all and should have included and extra 400ish Pokemon because that takes the same amount of work.

Reminds me of people crying over Ubisoft not including a playable female character in one of their Assassins Creed games and when Ubisoft said "you know that involves a lot of work right" the argument changed to proving that it isn't actually that much work and Ubisoft are just lazy.

For me, unless you actually work at Game Freak you have NO IDEA what the working conditions are like and you have NO IDEA how much these people put into the game.

Crack on with the "lazy developers" line though. I am sure you're an expert.

I think you could make the argument that they could have put more time and money into the development of the game and maybe delay release by a year or two to get things just right but I'm not buying the "game freak are lazy" line.

Cutting the number of characters in the game by half will obviously lighten their workload and allow them to focus on other things. That's common sense.

I'm talking about remade models from scratch statement. And before this is used as a defense, no one has problem with the model re-using.

I would guess the game has got the perfect amount of water for the score to be so high.

She didn't mention the flaws the game has. She also didn't mention camping, currydex, jobs and sound options behind a key item.
Also, she called the dex problem nothing but nitpicks.

It smells like she just made the review out of spite instead of doing as a job.

Last edited:

Fake

Major Nintendo franchises always get immunity on reviews. I was kinda expecting the major gaming sites to score it high while the sites that aren't solely videogames score it lower.
This time I find quite strange I must say.
The reviewer of IGN who made the review don't mention any othet aspect of Shield/Sword. Ignoring the pokedex case, I guess this was so less enfort to made. They ignore camps, the time you spend in game, the food mechanic, the job feature, not mention slowdown, loading times and constant freeze the game have.

Is very hard to not suspect this review. Act like a kid job who saw people complain about the game and gave a higher score for them feel salty.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Major Nintendo franchises always get immunity on reviews.
Alternatively, in spite of controversies, nontroversies, and everything in-between, the reviewer found the final product to be worth a high score. *shrug*

I swear, every set of fans thinks at least one of the other two of the "big three" gets a free pass for its first party output (meanwhile their preferred brand, if anything, is criminally underrated! Lol).

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if they cut so much content to get the game to fit on the smallest capacity Switch cartridge available... to bump their profits up.

...coming from 3DS cartridges? How does that make any sense... or has my sarcasm detector suddenly broken down?

DonF

What a shit show company Game Freak is.
I was so hyped for a main line, console quality pokemon on the go...and they half ass it.
They own one the biggest ip in the world and cant be bothered with developing a quality game...
Im all up for reusing assets, but they explicitly stated they removed pokemon cause they had to remade every model from the ground up.
Hell, I don't even "demand" every pokemon to use a new model, just an "adequate" model. You could see from the trailer that the gyarados had low poly whiskers.

GymWolf

OP sums up the outrage well! Game looks like good fun with a beautifully designed world to explore, great outdoor vistas, vertical design, cool towns & cute npcs. Oh, this turn based old school JRPG isn't at a constant 120 fps 4K with 3km LOD, damn, I just wish I had the time and a Switch, lmao!
Are you shitting me?
Fh7damZ.jpg

It looks worst than fucking zelda botw meme

Come on, everyone in their right mind would have expected something like the culling of Pokemon some day.

But for the FIRST ever console game? Expectations and hype were over the moon after the game's announcement.
Some of them might have been way off the mark, expecting Pokemon's BotW, but I would never have expected that opportunity to be squashed so hard.
I would have at least expected ONE game on the big screen, where they would go all-out, even if it was just as a sendoff.

Instead,they reduced the scope, cut most features people liked, regressed in the handling of TMs, and STILL delivered a game that looks like it could have been made on the Gamecube.

Their whole reasoning falls flat. It was just PR nonsense, which everyone invested into the series instantly saw through.

It's a goddamn shame. And I hope every person directing this feels shame. For their Legacy, their management and about their life-long fans.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Actually it's getting decent reviews all around so far, the only negative review so far has been Eurogamer ./shrug

GAMETA

Banned
Actually it's getting decent reviews all around so far, the only negative review so far has been Eurogamer ./shrug
And although they make very good points, at the end of the review they state something like "It's still a pretty good game, just not as good as it could've been"

MMaRsu

Banned
Personally, I think the game is going to be better than expected and the streamers are exacerbating some of the issues. Some arguments (lousy animations, generic battle backgrounds, stuttering, N64-looking textures in places) are totally right, but some of the others (The game can be beat in 16h? So can X and Y and Sun and Moon if you purposefully skip trainers and don't care about the story) look suspect.

I think I want to read reviews before I rush in to cancel my preorder

So x,y sun & moon are the defacto length now? 😂

I spent over 50hours in Pokemon Ruby

Major Nintendo franchises always get immunity on reviews. I was kinda expecting the major gaming sites to score it high while the sites that aren't solely videogames score it lower.
I think it's less that and more so the major gaming sites want people to look away from valid criticisms against Game Freak. Basically, they're going "Hey, we just played Pokemon Sword and Shield and it's all sunshine and rainbows. Look at all these great review scores! Don't listen to those 'entitled' games who don't know what they are talking about!".

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Better models and animation was a lie this whole time? Say it ain't so.

OP sums up the outrage well! Game looks like good fun with a beautifully designed world to explore, great outdoor vistas, vertical design, cool towns & cute npcs. Oh, this turn based old school JRPG isn't at a constant 120 fps 4K with 3km LOD, damn, I just wish I had the time and a Switch, lmao!
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol, so many triggered snowflakes. I never said it has super high res textures and lod or anything but if you can't tell good JRPG world design even if it hits you in the face that's your deal. It's Xenoblade level beauty and compelling design, just in the Pokemon style and setting. I was gonna take snapshots but whatever, you're gonna do that for me by taking the bluriest and worst that don't show any of the cool animations like the grass and weather and cloud shadows or any of the distant tall beautiful structures, lol. The sort of folks that would say Super Mario Galaxy looks bad by zooming in on a blurry texture that isn't 4K completely oblivious to its actual beauty when seen as a whole. Tons of great scenes, outdoor and in town and indoor like the stadiums with the crazy crowds, are seen throughout, in this old trailer. Deal with it, rofl.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
I am EXTREMELY reluctant to take the side of games journos and twitter checkmarks, especially when they are whining about "toxic gamers" and manbabies".

The completely over the top outrage over a Pokemon game just seems so ridiculous to me.

I love how "mediocre graphics" and "bad animations" is one of the main things that "wrong" with the game.

Don't even think about saying "meh, it looks like a standard Pokemon game to me, I'm sure most people will love it"!
YOU FUCKING APOLOGIST!

As if saying "well maybe there's a reason Game Freak did this or that" or saying "I am fine with it" is some kind of horrendous support of a dreadful regime.

How dare you defend Game Freak! Don't you know they cut some Pokemon and some moves and they game us bad animations and graphics!?

Fuckin hell.

Between this "outrage" and the insane levels of trolling because Death Stranding is *gasp* a bit different but also really good, I think I've seen it all this past week.

I think I'm turning SJW because I'm starting to think that videogame consumers are some of the most toxic most unforgiving and most entitled people on the planet.

Voting with your wallet is surely going to be better in the long run that throwing a tantrum online because the new Pokemon game has only 400 Pokemon instead of the 800 you wanted.

Graphics and animations seem fine to me, judging by the trailers, but I am sure some smug cunt will have a screenshot of some bad textures or something to "prove me wrong".

Nah, the graphics and animations seem pretty much in line with what I'd expect in a Pokemon game.

BUUUUUT EXTREMELY IMPORTANT AND MAINSTAY MOVES HAVE BEEN REMOVED! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Some of these people could suck the life out of anything with their shitty, non stop, over the top, negativity.

Yet, somehow, it's fuckin hilarious.

Pokemon has stagnated for a while, but it’s more obvious now than ever.

Pokemon Colosseum had better animations. They’re removing moves and pokemon. They force EXP Share upon you. The animations and models are literally the exact same as they were in X&Y. They took away difficulty by restricting gym leaders to 3 pokemon. They focus on story by have long, unskippable, poorly written, poorly animated cutscenes.

And what have they added? An empty open world? High level pokemon that you’re not allowed to catch? A gimmick of the pokemon growing big that they’ll remove in the next game?

People are frustrated because this game could’ve been great, but it’s just another copy-paste of the 3DS games.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Lol, so many triggered snowflakes. I never said it has super high res textures and lod or anything but if you can't tell good JRPG world design even if it hits you in the face that's your deal. It's Xenoblade level beauty and compelling design, just in the Pokemon style and setting. I was gonna take snapshots but whatever, you're gonna do that for me by taking the bluriest and worst that don't show any of the cool animations like the grass and weather and cloud shadows, lol. The sort of folks that would say Super Mario Galaxy looks bad by zooming in on a blurry texture that isn't 4K completely oblivious to its actual beauty when seen as a whole. Tons of great scenes, outdoor and in town and indoor like the stadiums with the crazy crowds, are seen throughout, in this old trailer. Deal with it, rofl.

Dude, you can take shots of the game if you believe people gonna blurryfest them. No one gonna stop you, if anything should be used to support your argument.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Lol, so many triggered snowflakes. I never said it has super high res textures and lod or anything but if you can't tell good JRPG world design even if it hits you in the face that's your deal. It's Xenoblade level beauty and compelling design, just in the Pokemon style and setting. I was gonna take snapshots but whatever, you're gonna do that for me by taking the bluriest and worst that don't show any of the cool animations like the grass and weather and cloud shadows or any of the distant tall beautiful structures, lol. The sort of folks that would say Super Mario Galaxy looks bad by zooming in on a blurry texture that isn't 4K completely oblivious to its actual beauty when seen as a whole. Tons of great scenes, outdoor and in town and indoor like the stadiums with the crazy crowds, are seen throughout, in this old trailer. Deal with it, rofl.

He has been triggered since the leaks started check the other threads.

There has a lot of crap going around about the game people posting the worst compressed screenshots etc. Who knows the game could be shit, but damn people are getting triggered about it. It's getting just as bad over here in the Pokemon threads as Reee

Paltheos

Are you fucking kidding me? I'm usually not one to get angry at this, but what were they thinking lieing to us? Did they not know who they were talking to? That question is only asked by the crowd that would check this shit firsthand to begin with.

The only ways they're clear here is that the spokesman who said this at the time honestly believed this or that Gamefreak had to change their approach afterwards but I'm having a tough time swallowing that.

I'll let this roll around my head some more.

Saber

Gold Member
I'm not too invested in the quality of this game myself, but this reaction/freakout absolutely leaned me:

For anyone who wants to watch this I recommend muting the gif.

This music is terrible.

Edit: I though it was the gif about double-kick only with the gym battle theme, sorry.

Last edited:
So x,y sun & moon are the defacto length now? 😂

I spent over 50hours in Pokemon Ruby

I spent over 40h in Pokemon X. You can rush every Pokemon game there is.

Reviewers are calling it a 40h-ish hour game, which sounds right if you don't rush through the story.

There are tons of things to criticize about this game but I do not feel this one is right.

iconmaster

Banned
Those models look pretty high-poly for 3DS. Are we sure those 3DS models are what you actually see in Sun/Moon, and not "reference" models that get simplified at runtime?

Last edited:

Doczu

Guys, it"s the same fucking engine as Sun & Moon only on steroids and lifted a bit, what did you think they would do? They reused everything they could, that includes models. The only thing they changed was better textures.and effects.
It's the same as with the 3DS pokedex app - many of the pokemon were re-used in X and Y.

Top Bottom