• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer Cover reveals Middle-earth: Shadow Of Mordor(PC/PS3/360/X1/PS4)/Monolith

Miletius

Next gen is not just about graphics. Increased horsepower for scope and scale in all things will not be fully utilised if current gen systems are also targeted.

This is one of those things I'd like to believe but hasn't been demonstrably true yet.

andycapps

If the tagline isn't "Walk into Mordor.<insert release date here>" I am going to be so bitterly disappointed.

That said, I have no idea what the Lord of the Rings is.

If you've ever played a fantasy game, consider them a pretty blatant homage/ripoff of the Lord of the Rings universe. Everything in that genre copies and pastes elves, orcs, wizards, etc from LOTR.

Hedge

Shadow of Mordor?

Well you can't get more cliché with a title like that. I really do hope it's good, but I somehow have my doubt, since.. well.. a good LotR-game never actually happened.

marrec

Banned
Shadow of Mordor?

Well you can't get more cliché with a title like that. I really do hope it's good, but I somehow have my doubt, since.. well.. a good LotR-game never actually happened.

Well, they could have gone with:

"Mordor: The Reckoning"

But Shadow of Mordor is a pretty good boring effort.

IvorB

This is one of those things I'd like to believe but hasn't been demonstrably true yet.

We all cling to this belief. It may or may not happen but I guarantee you that having a bunch of eight year-old systems with half a gig of RAM coming along for the ride is really not helping the situation.

Has Monolith been now relegated to licensed games? I mean, Gotham Impostor was different enough to not feel like they were doing it to stay afloat. Won't know I guess, until more details come about if this is as inspired.

Ridley327

Has Monolith been now relegated to licensed games? I mean, Gotham Impostor was different enough to not feel like they were doing it to stay afloat. Won't know I guess, until more details come about if this is as inspired.

When you're owned by WB outright, there's nothing to license!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I never asked for this.

Why didn't I?

My only hope is that it's fun. I'd love to have another LOTR game with the combat mechanics of the PS2 LOTR games. Those were just so damn fun. If this game has an improved version of that combat system, with a detailed open world, then I'm all there. Really looking forward to hearing more.

ArjanN

This sounds interesting, even if the LotR license is incredibly played out at this point and basically boils down to Default Fantasy Setting.

In for Monolith.

Seems mildly interesting but cross-gen is a bit of a passion-killer for me. I'm trying not to support any cross-gen projects.

Why does the guy in the pic have a broken sword?

Why the hell would you not support cross-gen projects? I don't understand why everyone is against this.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Why the hell would you not support cross-gen projects? I don't understand why everyone is against this.

They want games that are arbitrarily limited to the next-gen systems for some reason, because it makes them feel better about their purchase of consoles that really haven't shown any increased gameplay promise to go along with their increased power yet.

Along the way, developer Monolith is exploring a fascinating next-gen approach to enemies, encounters, and storytelling, one in which every player shapes their own story through the choices they make. The Nemesis System assures that every enemy you fight is a named foe, and if they survive their battle with you, they continue to grow, improve, and act in the world, even as you attempt to do the same with Talion.
:)

PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC
:(

wildfire

Banned
Monolith are good craftsmen as indicated by Fear and Gotham City Imposters. But when they try to make big projects like Matrix they fall flat due to over-ambition. I hope not only is WB funding them well but they have learned their mistakes on setting goals that can be reached.

bengraven

Nice, hopefully this one actually comes out. I was dissapointed when the White Council ended up getting cancelled, LoTR needs a great RPG.

EDIT* Good to see Monolith Prod still working on "big" projects!

Yep, I'm still hurting for the cancelation of White Council. First game I started following development with on their blog and vblogs that ended up canceled. Still hurts at how much I looked forward to every video blog.

FStop7

Banned
Jace Hall stared deeply into the palantir. "BUILD ME A VIDEO GAME WORTHY OF MORDOR" boomed the voice of Sauron inside of Jace's head.

Sentenza

This sounds interesting, even if the LotR license is incredibly played out at this point and basically boils down to Default Fantasy Setting.
That's absolutely not true.
If anything, it's the single one setting that everyone consistently failed to adapt with a style and mood that would make it any justice.

They want games that are arbitrarily limited to the next-gen systems for some reason, because it makes them feel better about their purchase of consoles that really haven't shown any increased gameplay promise to go along with their increased power yet.
Look at Battlefield 3 and 4. Not that the PC version is necessarily held back, but it demonstrates that last-gen is incapable of keeping up with the vision of the game. And with some visions you might not be able to just cut the number of players in half. Kind of the whole reason why some are excited about new hardware; new possibilities. Will come slower with last-gen tech getting dragged along.

I wonder how they'll scale whatever's supposed to be "next-gen" about this. Or if GI's just using that as a silly buzzword in place of "innovative" or whatever.

But hey, no HD ports. :D

Some Nobody

...There's not going to BE any increased gameplay if devs keep making cross-gen titles though. The only thing that can be better in cross-gen titles are the graphics, which is great...I guess.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
There will be very few next-gen-only multiplatform titles in the coming year-and-a-half. So expect this to be the norm.

FFS where the hell is the Tolkien IP protection group/foundation thing? This sounds like really bad fanfiction. I bet the story is you are tasked by Elrond (who else?) to go into mordor and find Narsil. Then you get fused with a Nazgul so you can have super powers and kill everyone in mordor. Stupid game is stupid.

I don't know how to feel about this. I know they were hiring for an open world game, and my very first project in the industry was the canned open world Lord of the Rings The White Council game.

I checked TWC forums daily. Was that pumped for "Oblivion in ME." Any inside info on how far along the game was at cancellation? Lots of assets complete or still in early prototyping? Of course, I understand if you'd rather not say...

DrBo42

FFS where the hell is the Tolkien IP protection group/foundation thing? This sounds like really bad fanfiction. I bet the story is you are tasked by Elrond (who else?) to go into mordor and find Narsil. Then you get fused with a Nazgul so you can have super powers and kill everyone in mordor. Stupid game is stupid.
Wraith /= Nazgul. With that aside I'd love to play a game with that task. I just want to play in that world/lore. As long as they do it justice I don't mind continuity or canon issues.

ReaperXL7

This is a game where if its not open world then I simply just dont care anymore. Im tired of devs taking on this subject, having so much to work with and then the games end up being so limited in scope. I want to be able to travel to rivendell, Rohan, Gondor, etc on horseback, explore caves and dungeons, have some meaningful character progression.

This will most likely be a corridor hack and slash with little exploration, such a shame that LOTR cannot seem to get a really great RPG style game under its belt.

Still waiting...

half-life-3_fake-game-informer-cover.jpg

If that was honestly the cover, I'd be so bummed because it'd confirm that Valve has fired all their artists.

Forsythia

I'm getting tired of Monolith only working on these movie licensed games. I'm not saying they're bad, but I'd rather have them work on the sequel of a certain comedic spy shooter. But I guess the licence of that is lost in limbo or something and no publisher wants to do anything with it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There will be very few next-gen-only multiplatform titles in the coming year-and-a-half. So expect this to be the norm.

I would expect Fall to have a few.

I mean Ubisoft is already doing The Division and The Crew, EA has NBA Live, UFC, and Tiger Woods, and there are some random various titles like The Witcher 3 or TESO.

I suspect most things that started as a current-gen game though will likely still have a current-gen version.

Valnen

It's true with every new generation, why wouldn't it be with this one? You won't start seeing third party games that will only be possible on next gen until the end of 2014 at a minimum no matter what happens, though.

andycapps

I wonder if this will be a F2P game. Anytime people are mentioning open world and next gen is involved in any way, seems like they're going that way these days.

TrutaS

I am a bit disappointed that it only takes place in mordor. Seems like a waste of an open-world game in Middle-earth.

Top Bottom