• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Meet Final Fantasy XV's Legendary Composer (New Gameplay Shown)

Really, really not a fan of how when a mission starts, it tells you what to do, e.g. follow Prompto. He even has a marker stuck on him. :/ Feels so inorganic and not FF.

Falk

that puzzling face
Classic FF would put everything in brackets.

Ultros: Oh no, it will take me [5 MINUTES] to push this anvil off!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I like her. Dont get me wrong. But Uematsu is a big name to replace. I hope she can make it happen.

Love what I'm hearing so far.

Uematsu hasn't been primary composer of a mainline FF since IX. (XI and XIV are strange cases.)
He normally does the main theme, though.

Not that ANY of Sakimoto (XII), Hamauzu (XIII) or Soken (XIV:ARR/HW) have let us down at all.
Soken's work in XIV is GOAT material.

Koozek

As wonderful as the song is, not sure if I can stomach another few hours of
GRATIA MUNDI
while exploring Altissia, though
JgZs64Q.png
Needs more different, longer parts inbetween the main loop/chorus for down time.

GRATIA MUNDI
JgZs64Q.png
Needs more different, longer parts inbetween the main loop/chorus for down time.

This is what I'm worried about to be honest. People disliked how Duscae had little music when exploring but to be honest I find that better than the same track looping over continuously as I walk about. In an open world like this they need to think differently about how they play music in the background.

Ideal solution for me would be something more dynamic. Play the track, then fade it out or take away layers, then bring it back. Change it depending on what I'm doing, but don't make it too obvious.

GRATIA MUNDI
JgZs64Q.png

This is what I am worried about too. She hasn't seemed to have created a new sound for this game, instead it is reliable yet predictable Shimomura. I'm honestly already bored with what we have heard.

Philippo

GRATIA MUNDI
JgZs64Q.png

Well there will probably also be other tracks, like the one that plays when you're playing in the room. That one is 100% Altissia related.

Koozek

This is what I'm worried about to be honest. People disliked how Duscae had little music when exploring but to be honest I find that better than the same track looping over continuously as I walk about. In an open world like this they need to think differently about how they play music in the background.

Ideal solution for me would be something more dynamic. Play the track, then fade it out or take away layers, then bring it back. Change it depending on what I'm doing, but don't make it too obvious.
Hehe, welcome to the club. I've been preaching this for two years now. Though after beating Witcher 3 recently I'm a little bit less worried as long as FFXV has more reduced and calm songs for the overworld areas. TW3 stroke a good balance between ambient and melodic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcArGVAN2G8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N3n019qCqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SQRCUMEEt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olli46Ixo1Y

Final Fantasy XV OST will be amazing, we know it since 2006 but... what a technical mess in those gameplay segments, framerate is sluttering, there's significant clipping (tree popping out of nowhere...).

Funny how the showpieces are always from an older build. Platinum demo too.
An old tale we keep telling ourselves... I'm pretty sure retail version will be the same with framerate drops, clipping and ugly textures. Scale is too big and Japan has lost it touch.
Final Fantasy won't be the best looking game anymore (unless it has corridors...).
I'm still waiting the game (as i've been for the last 10 years) and i'm pretty sure i will like it but yeah... it will lacks polish. Better that than a 2022 release date.
(unless PS4 Neo runs the game better)

I probably shouldn't say anything but I need to say something, because these comments are so misinformed that they need to be addressed.

Believe it or not, most games have issues months before they release. You'd be surprised how broken some games are in the months leading up to their release. I QA tested a certain massively successful and popular FPS, and weeks before it released it would still crash on every level without fail. It still had framerate issues. It still had LOD problems. It still had AA issues. To put it mildly it was a complete mess. QA Team and the devs put in a lot of overtime in the 4 weeks leading up to its gold disk. By the time we got there we locked the framerate to 60. Crashes stopped occurring. LOD issues were taken care of. Map holes were gone. Collision issues were no more. AA improved. Basically it went through its QA period to polish up everything.

Now, FFXV footage was taken before the Uncovered event and clearly was taken before it was in QA. They even show a huge disclaimer throughout most of the footage with "Pre-beta footage". That means before QA. It's not a matter of people making excuses. This is footage taken from a very old build of the game, before it was given to QA.

So why don't you put away your snark for a second and use some of those critical thinking skills to put two and two together and realize "Oh wait. The game isn't done yet. Clearly this is development footage of an old build."

I know it's hard to think that games don't look their best before they hit QA or before they release, but hopefully now you know.

True Fire

If The Witcher 3 can go half a year without a patch for the powerpoint presentation frame rate then Final Fantasy XV can have technical issues six months before its release date. My goodness.

jett

D-Member
Hehe, welcome to the club. I've been preaching this for two years now. Though after beating Witcher 3 recently I'm a little bit less worried as long as FFXV has more reduced and calm songs for the overworld areas. TW3 stroke a good balance between ambient and melodic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcArGVAN2G8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N3n019qCqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SQRCUMEEt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olli46Ixo1Y

Witcher 3 has such wonderful use of music.

OmegaDL50

I probably shouldn't say anything but I need to say something, because these comments are so misinformed that they need to be addressed.

Believe it or not, most games have issues months before they release. You'd be surprised how broken some games are in the months leading up to their release. I QA tested a certain massively successful and popular FPS, and weeks before it released it would still crash on every level without fail. It still had framerate issues. It still had LOD problems. It still had AA issues. To put it mildly it was a complete mess. QA Team and the devs put in a lot of overtime in the 4 weeks leading up to its gold disk. By the time we got there we locked the framerate to 60. Crashes stopped occurring. LOD issues were taken care of. Map holes were gone. Collision issues were no more. AA improved. Basically it went through its QA period to polish up everything.

Now, FFXV footage was taken before the Uncovered event and clearly was taken before it was in QA. They even show a huge disclaimer throughout most of the footage with "Pre-beta footage". That means before QA. It's not a matter of people making excuses. This is footage taken from a very old build of the game, before it was given to QA.

So why don't you put away your snark for a second and use some of those critical thinking skills to put two and two together and realize "Oh wait. The game isn't done yet. Clearly this is development footage of older footage."

I know it's hard to think that games don't look their best before they hit QA or before they release, but hopefully now you know.

Uncharted 2 was apparently in a near unplayable state two months before it went Gold and released to manufacturing and retail.

So if devs and QA staff are determined enough to get things done on a tight schedule, it's possible even on the most stringent of deadlines.

Let's say September's out of the question since we need to factor the game going gold / pressing of discs, manufacturing, shipping out to warehouses and eventual retail.

We are at the tail end of April more or less. So that gives Tabata and his staff all of May, all of June, July, and August. four full months of finalizing everything, QA work, and then early September for preparation on shipping to store shelves.

And if there is any last minute issues they could not fix within that time frame, I wouldn't be surprised to see a software update a day or week or so from release updating from version 1.0 to 1.1 or whatever revision they use for patching.

The optimizations and performance adjustments aren't something that happens early on, in fact it is one of the very last things that get accomplished in a QA environment right up just prior the game releasing.

Flysquare

So why don't you put away your snark for a second and use some of those critical thinking skills to put two and two together and realize "Oh wait. The game isn't done yet. Clearly this is development footage of an old build."

Optimistic thinking versus pessimistic thinking.
I'd rather not set my expectations too high.
Sure we live in days where QA solves everything and games come out polished, without server crashes, or horrible framerates...
I'd like to be proven wrong but since every time the game has been shown previews mentioned technical issues, i doubt those japanese programmers can achieve miracles.

We'll see in reviews in september.
FFXV might do most things very well but i'm sure there will be technical issues.

Aters

Sure we live in days where QA solves everything and games come out polished, without server crashes, or horrible framerates...
I'd like to be proven wrong but since every time the game has been shown previews mentioned technical issues, i doubt those japanese programmers can achieve miracles.

FFXV might do most things very well but i'm sure there will be technical issues.

I don't get it. What is the last Japanese game that is released in an unplayable status? Because I can think of tons of Western games released in a mess in the recent two years.

edit: I do agree most Japanese game developers have lost their touch on top-notch graphics. But they still make well-polished games. If anything, I'm sure FFXV will run better than most western open world games at release, even though not being the best looking one.

What your insinuating isn't an optimistic vs pessimistic viewpoint. I just explained how QA and development work. If you want to see that as optimistic then go ahead but that is how development work.

Your viewpoint is taking it to the absolute extreme. And I can't help but be offended by the way your wording with "Japanese programmers", as if to say they're inferior in some way to their western counterparts.

You are blowing any issue you see out of proportion. I am not asking you to set your expectations high. I am asking you to realize how development works and understand that your stance is based on fallacies.

Andrin

I'm still disappointed that the newer version of Somnus is purely instrumental, when the original one had such great vocals.

I'll still hold out hope that the vocal version is included in the final game in some fashion.

Witcher 3 has such wonderful use of music.

It really does.

And SE has already done a great job with the OST of a big exploration-heavy game with XIV:RR, so hopefully they bring some of those lessons into how to work music in XV. It's true that a looping field theme is going to get repetitive in such an enormous world.

Flysquare

Then why don't you wait until then instead of jumping to conclusions? Feel free to keep your expectations low, but spare us your willful pessimism.

I just comment what i see right now.
But one can't point to FFXV technical issues without having these "it's a pre alpha beta gama 5 months left it will be superb" things.

Subaru

Wow, a 15 minutes interview with a GODDESS that I can't pay attention because of this insanely bad dubbing.
I find this annoying in NIntendo Directs, but in this video is waaay worse, c'mon!

Why is it so hard to upload another video with subtitles? =[

Wow, a 15 minutes interview with a GODDESS that I can't pay attention because of this insanely bad dubbing.
I find this annoying in NIntendo Directs, but in this video is waaay worse, c'mon!

Why is it so hard to upload another video with subtitles? =[

I know. I didn't even understand a quarter of the video.

Soriku

I know. I didn't even understand a quarter of the video.

I didn't have trouble understanding any of it *shrug*

I found it kind of amusing though how the narration is in third person, but the narrator would act out the times that Shimomura laughs. lmao.

KoopaTheCasual

Question, in Neogaf ranking, how much better than Nobuo Uematsu is she?
That's not a thread you want to start. Both have intense fandoms, and as much as I love Shimomura, since she's stepping into Uematsu's territory, she's the one that's gonna have to prove herself with this game's soundtrack.

Not like I doubt she will, at all.

skypunch

Banned
Awesome video. She seems like a wonderful person. I'm really diggin' FFXVs music so far.

After XCX's OST, I need my ears washed out & FFXV is filling that role nicely.

wmlk

There are some 2013/2014 FFXV animations from the gameplay in this video.

I think the speed of the combos you can pull off is tied to whatever growth systems there are in place for each of the weapons/weapon types. Some of those combos look very fast. Duscae, Duscae 2.0, and Platinum Demo all had different combo speeds.

Soriku

Awesome video. She seems like a wonderful person. I'm really diggin' FFXVs music so far.

Japanese developers, if you're listening, there's composers out there that are leagues better & more skilled than Sawano, who value writing songs that truly evoke wonder & adventure & which capture the characters & settings/locations of a game, instead of blaring a cacophony of over the top melodramatic anime shite. Don't settle for mediocrity.

lol. Both XCX and FF XV sound great. Like I'm not sure how you can listen to a track like Oblivia from XCX and even make this comment. That's not even mentioning that XCX is Sawano's only game composition, so who are these Japanese developers you are appealing to?

Question, in Neogaf ranking, how much better than Nobuo Uematsu is she?

What is NeoGAF ranking? They're both great composers with pretty different styles. Hard to say which one is better when they've both made a lot of really good tracks.

I've yet to listen to a composition by Shimomura that I didn't like. FFXV's soundtrack should be fantastic with her at the helm, even if the game itself ends up disappointing.

Soriku

Shimomura mentioned that she feels more pressured now that FF XV is, well, a numbered FF title and no longer Versus XIII. I'm kind of wondering how she feels about juggling this and KH3, considering KH3 is the first numbered KH in a long time too.

Falk

that puzzling face
Japanese developers, if you're listening, there's composers out there that are leagues better & more skilled than Sawano, who value writing songs that are dripping with personality & truly evoke wonder & adventure & which capture the characters & settings/locations of a game, instead of blaring out a cacophony of over the top melodramatic anime shite. Don't settle for mediocrity.

I'm not sure how this is even relevant to the topic at hand.

Famassu

I just comment what i see right now.
But one can't point to FFXV technical issues without having these "it's a pre alpha beta gama 5 months left it will be superb" things.
There's a difference between "damn, so much pop-in and framerate is still rough, I hope they'll be mostly sorted out before release but I'm not optimistic" vs. ignoring realities of game development and being all "THIS GAME IS A TECHNICAL MESS, JAPANESE DEVS SUCK ASS THIS IS PROOF OF THAT" based on footage that will see further 6-9 months of polishing. No one is saying FFXV will be perfect at release with no pop-in with a perfect 100% 30fps framerate or that we shouldn't be worried at all about whether they can push it to a more stable performance. Just that your kind of hyperbole condemning all Japanese game development is silly overreaction for a game still very much in development.

Koozek

79sSO39.gif

Semi-EDIT: Okay, I was about to come in and say how XCX's OST was hot garbage from what I heard so far (pretty much only the worst songs, like the trashy vocal/rap stuff), but I just listened to the full OST a while and, yeah, it's not bad. It goes pretty overboard on the "epicness", but I can imagine some of that actually fitting the mecha/alien setting quite well.

Top Bottom