• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Meet Final Fantasy XV's Legendary Composer (New Gameplay Shown)

Byvar

her version of prelude is so fucking good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZYNC4JZ_2c
It's not hers. It was composed and arranged by Yoshitaka Suzuki, as posted above.
I don't parcticularly like it to be honest, it sounds too mechanical for me. Though I'm sure that's at least partly due to the bad audio quality in that video.

About Yoko Shimomura: she's a good composer but somehow I feel that her very melodious music style will be jarring in a "realtistic" (as in, realistic in its own world... maybe "cinematic" is a better word) game. Uematsu had to adapt to that kind of game with the Last Story, and with it being such a huge leap from anything he'd done before, it was so hard that he almost stopped working on it. He explained more about it here:
Interview with Uematsu and Sakaguchi - Part 1: This is All Wrong!
Interview with Uematsu and Sakaguchi - Part 2: The Curse of RPG Music
This is one of the results, the town music from the Last Story: Timbre of the City
It's Uematsu's traditional melodious style, but much more "ambient" than anything he made before. In contrast, all of the area music we heard from Shimomura is a little too upbeat (or at least not ambient enough) for this style of game (at least if it is used similarly to the demo). But since she explains in this new interview that she focuses on having the music fit with the area as best as possible, I'm sure she's doing her best to overcome that leap from classical RPG music to more ambient music, and that's good enough for me!

Surprised this didn't happen sooner (Yoko composing a mainline FF OST, that is). I think it's well overdue after she spent so many years doing Square's other OSTs like Legend of Mana, Kingdom Hearts series and Parasite Eve (my personal favourite). Excited to hear what she comes up with.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
her telling people that positive feedback helps her worked ;)

Yeah she said when she's out of energy she goes online and looks at people's feedback of her music.

That's kinda cute.

She's very humble without coming off as unconfident. Also, that blizzara spell looks great. Love that it's not just an ice crystal poking an enemy, but feels like a genuine blizzard has settled in.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The interview structure is a bit strange. The translator is speaking ABOUT her, not FOR her. It's like Yoko Shimomura is talking in 3rd person.

wanders

And isn't this the same translator that speaks in 1st person when translating for the male Square Enix employees?

Maybe this translation was done first. Its funny though because she switches to first person later in the interview.

To be honest I thought the lady being interviewed was Yoko's coworker of sorts, not Yoko herself lol

oimori

watched new footage. Adding a new running animation to indicate Noctis's stamina instead of making another UI bar is very good idea I think.

I have been waiting a very long time to listen to her speak openly about her work on this game.

I guess Game Informer's interview with Amano is next. That one should be really interesting, since we've only seen 3 (?) works of his related to Versus/XV so far and he said he made them all 10+ years ago.

This is one of the results, the town music from the Last Story: Timbre of the City
This is one of my favorite latter-day Uematsu compositions. IIRC, he wrote an entire score for The Last Story and Sakaguchi didn't like it so they had a huge fight over email that accidentally got CC:ed to the whole staff. So Uematsu almost quit but instead redid the whole thing.

Ran rp

I should probably play that demo.

You don't do that, you fool!!

That said as a die hard Kanno fan i'd love her to do something big like that so much. Her on a FF would melt people.

As for Shimomura, i'm a huuuuge fan of her Legend of Mana tracks, but i have to admit i like a little less (even if there are classy pieces already) her FFXV one. It's just not as unique and sophisticated. FF tend to make composers shy or something. I found Hamauzu ost, even if excellent, less "Hamauzu" than what he did before. Like if composers had to go more mainstream for this game, less personal. (Except Nobuo of course, but he gave FF its soul in first place, the one that is lacking now).

Well we haven't heard too much from the OST yet, so maybe she'll surprise us.

Koozek

PSY・S;201658182 said:
who's better

shimomura or kanno?
Kanno. Let me know when Shimomura comes up with her own Space Lion.
You don't do that, you fool!!

That said as a die hard Kanno fan i'd love her to do something big like that so much. Her on a FF would melt people.

As for Shimomura, i'm a huuuuge fan of her Legend of Mana tracks, but i have to admit i like a little less (even if there are classy pieces already) her FFXV one. It's just not as unique and sophisticated. FF tend to make composers shy or something. I found Hamauzu ost, even if excellent, less "Hamauzu" than what he did before. Like if composers had to go more mainstream for this game, less personal. (Except Nobuo of course, but he gave FF its soul in first place, the one that is lacking now).
Glad to finally see others mentioning Kanno in FFXV threads :D In the last years while listening to Kanno's work, the epic orchestral ones especially, I often thought "Man, that would fit so well in FFXV!" and phantasized about her composing for a mainline FF. She has a mind-blowing quality/quantity ratio and covers literally any genre and style you could think of.

Flysquare

Final Fantasy XV OST will be amazing, we know it since 2006 but... what a technical mess in those gameplay segments, framerate is sluttering, there's significant clipping (tree popping out of nowhere...).

never heard of her, but the music in the Platinum demo was pretty good. especially the calm piece playing as you first take control.

guess she'll have to do if i can't have Uematsu or Hamauzu.

Famassu

Final Fantasy XV OST will be amazing, we know it since 2006 but... what a technical mess in those gameplay segments, framerate is sluttering, there's significant clipping (tree popping out of nowhere...).
For the millionth time in these Game Informer FFXV info threads, those are from an older build from, like, late last year or early this year IIRC. A game being like that from a tech POV so far from release isn't anything to be too worried about since the final months will always be the time when the focus is the most on polishing the game and its performance.

Flysquare

For the millionth time in these Game Informer FFXV info threads, those are from an older build from, like, late last year or early this year IIRC. A game being like that from a tech POV so far from release isn't anything to be too worried about since the final months will always be the time when the focus is the most on polishing the game and its performance.

Funny how the showpieces are always from an older build. Platinum demo too.
An old tale we keep telling ourselves... I'm pretty sure retail version will be the same with framerate drops, clipping and ugly textures. Scale is too big and Japan has lost it touch.
Final Fantasy won't be the best looking game anymore (unless it has corridors...).
I'm still waiting the game (as i've been for the last 10 years) and i'm pretty sure i will like it but yeah... it will lacks polish. Better that than a 2022 release date.
(unless PS4 Neo runs the game better)

An old tale we keep telling ourselves... I'm pretty sure retail version will be the same with framerate drops, clipping and ugly textures. Scale is too big and Japan has lost it touch.
Final Fantasy won't be the best looking game anymore (unless it has corridors...).
I'm still waiting the game (as i've been for the last 10 years) and i'm pretty sure i will like it but yeah... it will lacks polish.

Let's wait until sept before making assumptions, if it's shit I'll join your crusade. People want devs to show more transparency but once they show you work in progress they panic. In the meantime let's wait and see the final product.

I'm still waiting the game (as i've been for the last 10 years) and i'm pretty sure i will like it but yeah... it will lacks polish. Better that than a 2022 release date.
(unless PS4 Neo runs the game better)

So are we allowed to come back and say I told you so when a game looks much better after 8+ months of development from what we've seen now?

OmegaDL50

never heard of her, but the music in the Platinum demo was pretty good. especially the calm piece playing as you first take control.

guess she'll have to do if i can't have Uematsu or Hamauzu.

She composed Street Fighter 2 (legendary Guile theme is a good example)

But other notable works are Super Mario RPG (as well as the other Mario & Luigi RPG games) She also did work on Parasite Eve, Kingdom Hearts, and a few of the Seiken Densetsu series soundtracks (Legend of Mana for example).

Also her work in Xenoblade Chronicles is worth mentioning while it is only a select few tracks though.

Flopfan

Surprised this didn't happen sooner (Yoko composing a mainline FF OST, that is). I think it's well overdue after she spent so many years doing Square's other OSTs like Legend of Mana, Kingdom Hearts series and Parasite Eve (my personal favourite). Excited to hear what she comes up with.
Oh man you just reminded me of legend of mana. That ost was PHENOMENAL.

Top Bottom