• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameinformer: Why Guerrilla Needed Horizon Zero Dawn To Be An RPG

I would define an RPG as a game that allows me to curate my playable in a significant way, with both choices of playstyle (stealth, magic, slow combat, fast combat, etc.) and narrative decisions. I know that on paper Horizon has both of these qualities, but I'm not yet sold on how big of a role they will play in the game. These days almost every AAA open world game has lite RPG elements. Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, the Arkham series, Watch Dogs, hell even DOOM have upgrade points and skill trees, so hearing that Horizon has three skill trees doesn't convince me so much that it's an RPG as it does that it's a modern AAA game. Until I see how intricate Horizon's skill trees are I'm going to assume that I can put points into say, shooting, stealth, and gadgets and will have enough points to get the must haves in all categories. As for the narrative decisions that could impact the story, Guerilla has said that this is only a few things and the impacts are small, so I'm not expecting The Witcher in this regard.

So Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts are not RPGs in your opinion?

I hope this is one of the Jurassic Park Easter Eggs in Horizon :)
CZvSuR.gif

Oneself

Such a superb looking game. I'm blown away by the non-PS4 Pro footage, I can't wait to see the Pro version on my tv. :0

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
All I need is secret bosses and battles like Monster Hunter and they got me sold for the rest of this game.

I believe they have mentioned that there will be really challenging bosses hidden through out the world for you to go after which is always cool. I'm imaging a black Thunder Jaw or something for example.

Maybe I'm a jaded asshole, but the more I see of the game the less excited I get. Looks like Yet Another Open World Game, albeit with some cool flavor.

Yep. Looks like there won't be much in the way of interesting levels or objectives.Too many recent games are being open world when they don't benefit from it.

Yep. Looks like there won't be much in the way of interesting levels or objectives.Too many recent games are being open world when they don't benefit from it.

I'm not a huge fan of open-world game design, but this game I think it fits this idea perfectly. All RPGs should be open IMO.

labaronx

It would be cool if they release models/figures of the robot creatures in the game. I would spend a ridiculous amount of money just to have some of them.

Game is looking good too.

Id be willing to bet we are getting some kind of toys associated with the game, and i too am interested in them

Wallach

You must have missed all of the Mass Effect 2 threads. More people talking past each other about whether or not it's "really an RPG" than discussing its merits or failings half the time.

people act like Dragon Age was the game that really started the BioWare shitposting here, but it was Mass Effect 2 that caused people to lose their minds

you should always keep your eye out for games that do that to GAF, because ME2 also wound up being the only game in that series worth a shit

Giolon

Horizon is an RPG?

OoiWtOe.gif

It looks like FarCry w/ a techno-dino setting. I don't think that makes it any worse. It think it looks awesome, but unless they're hiding a lot more that I haven't seen about the game in these interviews and preview videos, I think they're doing the game a disservice trying to sell it as something its not and will only leave an RPG audience disappointed.

labaronx

Horizon is an RPG?

OoiWtOe.gif

It looks like FarCry w/ a techno-dino setting. I don't think that makes it any worse. It think it looks awesome, but unless they're hiding a lot more that I haven't seen about the game in these interviews and preview videos, I think they're doing the game a disservice trying to sell it as something its not and will only leave an RPG audience disappointed.

They cant look at it and tell its not persona 5?

Giolon

They cant look at it and tell its not persona 5?

Err, that wasn't exactly what I meant. I mean more like if someone were to buy it, w/ a low amount of research, and someone told them "this is an RPG, you'll love it!" - it's probably not going to be what they expect.

labaronx

Err, that wasn't exactly what I meant. I mean more like if someone were to buy it, w/ a low amount of research, and someone told them "this is an RPG, you'll love it!" - it's probably not going to be what they expect.

I get that, the info seems to be out there though,and more is releasing daily. As long as they dont preorder on psn, they have plenty of time to make an informed decision

Horizon is an RPG?

OoiWtOe.gif

I don't get it. What's not rpg about it? Story quests, side quests, tribe specific quests, quests with branching stories and consequences, diaglogue trees, crafting, shops, stats, weapons with stats and elementals, different purchasable armor, skill trees, leveling system for character and enemies, potions, bombs, stats for enemies, numbers attacked to damage output...

Far cry has all of that?

Reaperssj

Could you imagine late game if you can hack a thunderjaw to fight another thunderjaw, or a lot less likely but imagine if she gains access to old world tech and is able to use a mech that looks like a gundam or something like a mech from esclaflowne or zoids would be amazing GG has done mech combat before in Killzone 2 and when you use the mech in Killzone 2 its also a late game surprise

vivekTO

I havent rewatched it since E3, but I remember he was looking for a specific kind of animal to kill to craft something, popped up the world map to find the animal (which was behind the rock next to him) and it was litteraly a far cry moment

then we get the tower video...

Please rewatch the E3 video again, than we can have a discussion! you just have made up your mind about what you are Expecting from this game , a Mediocre.

Elfstruck

Horizon is an RPG?

OoiWtOe.gif

Farcry doesn't hold a candle to this one when it comes to the variety of things that you can do in the game if GG's words are true.

E-flux

All of this stuff has been answer several times from the devs,previews,interviews and gameplay videos.

I'm sure many people, like me, have only seen the E3 stuff or a handful of gameplay that they showed early, which doesn't look like an rpg at all, in any shape or form. First thing i thought when i saw this thread was "Wait, it's an RPG?"

I don't get it. What's not rpg about it? Story quests, side quests, tribe specific quests, quests with branching stories and consequences, diaglogue trees, crafting, shops, stats, weapons with stats and elementals, different purchasable armor, skill trees, leveling system for character and enemies, potions, bombs, stats for enemies, numbers attacked to damage output...

Far cry has all of that?

Doesn't Far cry have all those except Dialogue trees? At least Far cry 2 had armors you could buy, there was also faction based side quests in 2, and 3 even had multiple endings. Also at this point pretty much all of what you listed could be applied to games like Watchdogs, it has all of those except again dialogue trees and depending on how loose we play it branching stories and consequences too. Many of the "rpg" elements have become so common place that listing them down doesn't automatically mean an rpg.

RootCause

I hope we get some cool armors. Also, I wish we could capture them.

Far cry has all of that?
It doesn't have a million menu screens to waste hours upon hours of your time, just to get a +5 boost. 😛

I think people are just experiencing cognitive dissonance due to Horizon's combat not being absolute dog shit like it is in a lot of open world RPGs.

vivekTO

I would define an RPG as a game that allows me to curate my playable in a significant way, with both choices of playstyle (stealth, magic, slow combat, fast combat, etc.) and narrative decisions. I know that on paper Horizon has both of these qualities, but I'm not yet sold on how big of a role they will play in the game. These days almost every AAA open world game has lite RPG elements. Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, the Arkham series, Watch Dogs, hell even DOOM have upgrade points and skill trees, so hearing that Horizon has three skill trees doesn't convince me so much that it's an RPG as it does that it's a modern AAA game. Until I see how intricate Horizon's skill trees are I'm going to assume that I can put points into say, shooting, stealth, and gadgets and will have enough points to get the must haves in all categories. As for the narrative decisions that could impact the story, Guerilla has said that this is only a few things and the impacts are small, so I'm not expecting The Witcher in this regard.

So basically you are agreeing that horizon has all the Qualities of a RPG, it has stealth , slow combat and fast combat , but your main concern is the extent to which they are implemented and integrated and how will it effect the gameplay mechanics.
Which i think is totally valid concern and i will not argue about that.

But does this concern of yours validates that this is not a RPG?

wapplew

I think GG address one biggest concern of mine for open world WRPG, being overwhelmed.
I'm glad they focus on accessibility, maybe not something hardcore WRPG fans want to hear, but it's great news for me.

Top Bottom