• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamePro PLAIGARIZES IGN's review of Water Warfare (Wii)

Gattsu25

Banned
AstroLad said:
I dunno man, I don't think it takes that much effort.

My Review of Water Warfare, After Zero Plays
Water Warfare is a compelling first-person shooter title for Nintendo's "Wii Ware" system. First-person shooter games are most commonly associated with World War II or The Future, and the words "first-person shooter" might bring brief arousal, or at least curiosity, to the system's long-suffering older Nintendofans looking for at least an ersatz Killzone or Halo. But such arousal would be misplaced here.

It turns out that while the game purports to be an FPS, it is only one in name, and not in spirit. Gone is the amazing arsenal from Resistance or the hellish nightmarescape from Doom. Those essential features of any FPS have instead been replaced by squirt guns and water balloons, and the "Beach," and "Playground" maps. You don't "frag" your opponents, you simply get them wet. What is perhaps most frustrating is that the game often misleads users into thinking the experience will be far more mature than it really is. For example, we were unable to cause a single death in our hours of playtesting the so-called "Death Match" mode. Even using the Wii Zapper had very little actual effect on the gameplay. If you are expecting a Modern Warfare-type experience, you will be sorely disappointed, and your Fun Factor will very likely be sub-zero, as mine was (editor's note: when a game receives a score below zero in any of our three ratings categories, such as Fun Factor, then the points below zero are deducted equally from the two other categories--Sound and Graphics).
Fun Factor: -1.0 (out of 5.0).

Now for the important stuff: the Graphics. Nintendo fans have by now been conditioned to expect almost nothing from the Wii's graphics, instead pointing to the system's revolutionary distinguishing features, such as games where you use water pistols instead of guns. And this game continues in that proud tradition. By far the closest analogues for this game's graphics are virtual-reality games from the early 90s, such as Dactyl Nightmare, which you may remember from numerous GamePro TV episodes starring J.D. Roth. As much as I would love to instead make the comparison to Nintendo's Virtual Boy games, they had much cleaner and more attractive graphics.
Graphics: 1.0.

The game's Sound quality may be its only saving grace. Water Warfare boasts the trademark 8-bit ditties that Hudson is loved for. The songs are so catchy that I might be motivated to give the game a 4.0 for Sound, were it not for the leftover negative Fun Factor points. My only two major complaints are that the realistic footstep sounds (perhaps the only realistic and gritty part of the game) are not made when you are walking sideways, something which really takes you out of the game. Also, the squirt gun sounds more like a laser gun than a squirt gun, yet another feature inhibiting suspension of disbelief.
Sound: 3.5.

Conclusion: 4.0
YOU'RE the write for Gaming in the Clinton Years??

b650ebc2eafc8c8de0876ff80768e4eb.jpg

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Darklord said:
People are angry at the OP because he pointed out a reviewer who was a lazy, stealing, fool and could have potentially gotten GamePro into deep shit? What are you, idiots? It's the number 1 rule in his field of work. It would be like a Chef serving raw chicken.

As someone who has worked as both a journalist and a chef, I support this post.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
at least the blog post is honest and forthcoming.

it's enough to save face with me (for whatever that's worth), but I really hope it doesn't happen again.

alistairw said:
smh

Seriously? How could you not have noticed...eh. Never mind.
There were people in that mind-blowing stuff thread who didn't get that the Biggoron Sword in OoT was made by a Big Goron.

I'm not even joking.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EmCeeGramr said:
There were people in that mind-blowing stuff thread who didn't get that the Biggoron Sword in OoT was made by a Big Goron.

I'm not even joking.
as a kid I read it as bigger-on sword :(

john tv

Nothing pisses me off more than plagiarism. But seriously, if you're gonna throw your writing career in the garbage over something like this, do you really wanna plagiarize IGN of all places? :p

I swear us gaffers don't plagiarize when we write reviews for free. But people who get paid to write reviews plagiarize.

Gaming Journalism is 100% reliable, especially when you have companies buying out game reviews, and people plagiarizing. We just need to start a NeoGAF website, and have the whole forum participate. We can have editors who can filter through any of the shit that comes about :D

skip

MidnightScott said:
I swear us gaffers don't plagiarize when we write reviews for free. But people who get paid to write reviews plagiarize.

Gaming Journalism is 100% reliable, especially when you have companies buying out game reviews, and people plagiarizing. We just need to start a NeoGAF website, and have the whole forum participate. We can have editors who can filter through any of the shit that comes about :D

it was one guy, who wasn't even paid. he was caught and rightfully dealt with.

GamePro handled it about as well as they could - but they're not exactly riding on a swell of goodwill from the hardcore, who would care about this kind of thing.

We didn't need this as an excuse to not care/dislike gamepro.

tabsina

EmCeeGramr said:

I'm not even joking.

I'm going to say it.. I did not think of that ever

Jaded Alyx said:
Welcome to the thread.

It's okay, he didn't read the FAQ - we shouldn't expect him to read the thread

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
MidnightScott said:

You do realise that there are a number of...gasp...reputable writers on GAF, right?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
TheChillyAcademic said:
Eh, so does itunes from AllMusic, everything's connected anyway :D
AllMusic sells their content out to places like Columbia House etc to make money. I still have reviews floating around on About.com, Blockbuster.com etc from when I did game reviews for their gaming side.

That's not plagiarism unless Apple's not paying AMG.

jrricky

Banned
That's a big no no and should follow this guy for the rest of his life.
shagg_187 said:
Yes. I know plagiarism is a big deal and it's a bigger deal if you copy/paste your own work a year later. Plagiarizing yourself is also plagiarism in professional field and Daemon Hatfield is fond of plagiarizing himself.
W.........TF?!!!!!No its not :lol :lol

Plagiarism:
"use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work."

jarosh said:
eh, this seems like one hell of a coincidence.

ftk6l4.gif

black stuff is identical. how likely is it that someone would word these sentences almost EXACTLY the same, talking about the same game, within a matter of days?

maybe there's some secret pr fact sheet that was handed out to reviewers that we don't know about, but otherwise i think the case is pretty clear.
Plagiarism software that professors use?

GavinGT

Banned
Years ago, I found various works of mine plagiarized on Teamxbox and several other sites. One tried his best to deny the charges, even though he obviously lifted entire sentences from my piece. They were all unpaid writers, and they were all promptly removed.

consoul

A blogpost I wrote on the PSP's clockspeed cap years ago ended up being partially reworded into a cover story for T3 magazine. I took it up with Derwent Howard (Aussie publisher) and they referred me on to Future Publishing in the UK. After much to and fro with their lawyers they admitted it was plagiarised, but claimed it didn't constitute copyright infringement so they owed me nothing. As far as I know the "journalist" kept his position.

Dave D.

Neo Member
If anything good comes out of this, I hope it's Gamepro's new company-wide policy making turnitin.com mandatory for all article submissions.

Also, let's recap. This guy got fired because of this... thing. How do you think he feels right now?

Dave D. said:
If anything good comes out of this, I hope it's Gamepro's new company-wide policy making turnitin.com mandatory for all article submissions.

Also, let's recap. This guy got fired because of this... thing. How do you think he feels right now?

If anything comes of this, I'd hope it would be GamePro stop doing reviews all together.
They've shown time and time again that they aren't competent enough to hold a valid opinion on anything.

pakkit

Banned
How stupid do you have to be to plagiarize IGN? That'd be like plagiarizing Wikipedia on your term paper. You WILL get caught.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
pakkit said:
How stupid do you have to be to plagiarize IGN? That'd be like plagiarizing Wikipedia on your term paper. You WILL get caught.

I was thinking it was more the shame of copying that level of writing.

:lol :lol :lol

This is like, 3000 times lazier than I was in highschool. I could take an article and completely reword it, which is bad but this is like 7th grade bad by someone really, really stupid. I mean, taking a complete sentence and just adding a word and a comma? Damn, that is some either hardcore laziness or hardcore ballsiness or just plain hardcore stupidity.

Anyway, I had a good laugh.

No way is this "journalist" out of college and his high schooling and even middle and grade schooling must have been very, very poor.

andthebeatgoeson

Now if we could only get Matt C to honestly admit that fucking the marketing exec on the Nintendo account is a source of conflict, like those guys fessed up. No? Nevermind, continue on.

This is so incredibly pathetic. Jesus fucking Christ, the whole idea of being able to plagiarise a fucking game review, especially the parts that LIST FUCKING FEATURES is ridiculous in itself. OP = busybody douchebag

Haunted

Jetku said:
are we sure that they both didn't just reword some portions of the fact sheet included with the review copy..?
:lol That was my first thought, but since the Gamepro reviewer admitted to it and got fired... I guess the IGN guy got lucky this time. :p

EmCeeGramr said:

I'm not even joking.
*raises hand*

In my defence, the rest of the game was translated, so I didn't make the connection that it was a pun in English.

Shurs

Does anyone want to recap the Richard Li situation that went down at 1up a few years ago? Was it similar to this?

Top Bottom