• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamer-approved laptop recommendation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwebo

sestrugen said:
I'm looking to buy a laptop, ideally I would like this laptop to play world of warcraft and cod black ops, my budget is around $1000. I was checking this one ASUS Republic of Gamers G51JX-X3, which fits exactly on my price range.
Not sure if you're still deciding, since your post was a few days ago, but I had an Asus G61(?) a few months ago, which I think is just the G51 rebranded for Best Buy? Anyway, only had it for a week or so before I returned it. The laptop ran staggeringly hot on the upper left side of the keyboard, which is just about the last place you'd want the heat to be. Not sure if the G51 suffers from the same issue, but it'd be something I'd watch out for.

If you're mainly going to be playing WoW and CoD, I'd look for a laptop that runs relatively cool. Neither game requires top shelf components, so the most important factor should be comfort over long sessions.

Donos said:
check http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-G51Jx-X1.30400.0.html (for general laptop info, the specs often vary)

also check their comparisons of GPU and CPU
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebook-Processors.129.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

The first one you posted has the "worst" GPU of all three (GTS360m - end of class 2). ATI 5850 is a good card. (see list)

i would take the i7 with the 5730.

I have the N61 with pretty much those exact same specs. I've had it since February and I've not had any problems so far and it runs everything I throw at it pretty damn well. The card isn't the most powerful but at the resolution of the screen it's more than capable. I just picked up Batman: AA and have been running it on high at about 40 FPS on average.

The one complaint I would have about it is the screen. Not the resolution, that doesn't bother me, but the colors and contrast of the screen. The contrast doesn't bother me as much, but the color of the screen is a bit washed out and the color just isn't as vivid as it is when I hook it up to my HDTV.

Other than that though a more than capable gaming machine and one of the best bangs for the buck you can get in my experience.

PC-GAF, I need a little bit of help.

I'm thinking about buying a laptop, which would be used for games as well as some other things that aren't performance heavy. My budget is around 600 euros.

I'm think about TOSHIBA Satellite L650D-125.
The specs are:

AMD Turion™ II Dual-Core P520 @ 2.3 GHz, FSB: 3600MHz, Cash memory: 2MB L2

ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD 5650 with dedicated 1GB DDR3

4 GB DDR3 1066 MHz.

500GB 5400 RPM

15.6" LCD, 1366x768

Windows 7 Home Premium

etc.

Is this good value for money and will it give me decent performance in the latest games? I'm most interested in playing some PC exclusives like Starcraft 2 and Anno games and some exclusive RPGs. Not so much in shooters.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Lifejumper said:
Hey guys,

How will the ALIENWARE M11x R2 run WOW on full settings?
It got the i5 processor and 3gigs of ram.

Thanks.

Yes.

Lagspike_exe said:
PC-GAF, I need a little bit of help.

I'm thinking about buying a laptop, which would be used for games as well as some other things that aren't performance heavy. My budget is around 600 euros.

I'm think about TOSHIBA Satellite L650D-125.
The specs are:

AMD Turion™ II Dual-Core P520 @ 2.3 GHz, FSB: 3600MHz, Cash memory: 2MB L2

ATI Mobility™ Radeon® HD 5650 with dedicated 1GB DDR3

4 GB DDR3 1066 MHz.

500GB 5400 RPM

15.6" LCD, 1366x768

Windows 7 Home Premium

etc.

Is this good value for money and will it give me decent performance in the latest games? I'm most interested in playing some PC exclusives like Starcraft 2 and Anno games and some exclusive RPGs. Not so much in shooters.
And yes.

K.Jack

King of Custard said:
Damn it I finally saved up enough money (£900) and now I'm stuck between two laptops.

The MSI GX740 i5 version and the Sager 5135 i7 version.
The Mobility 5870 is probably 2x the speed of the GT 425M, so if gaming at High details matters to you, take the GX740.

Lagspike_exe said:
Anything comparable in this price category?
Nope. The Mobility 5650 is the best in your price range.

Omiee

my budget is about 1200 euro and i want a 1080P display and a good good gaming laptop, what are my options..?

Lifejumper said:
Hey guys,

Thanks.

After Cataclysm I don't think so. Sunshafts and new water, and shaders plus the higher quality models, and increase draw distance takes it toll on the little CULV i7.

I am waiting every single day, for a new M11x. It will be the perfect laptop if they put in a faster CPU without killing the battery, and a better display. They can fit a 12'' display without increasing the size.

I want them to make the next update really good. My most anticipated product evar. God I hope its coming. A mobile powerhouse.. must have.

K.Jack said:
The Mobility 5870 is probably 2x the speed of the GT 425M, so if gaming at High details matters to you, take the GX740.

No. Take the Sager in all cases. It's infinitely better build quality.

keeblerdrow said:
No. Take the Sager in all cases. It's infinitely better build quality.

If gaming is a priority then spending £900 on a machine with a GTX 425m doesn't seem like a particularly good idea.

Lifejumper said:
Hey guys,

Thanks.

I've got the i5 with 4GB and it does run > 45fps everywhere except Dalaran where it drops to the 20s outdoors.

brain_stew said:
If gaming is a priority then spending £900 on a machine with a GTX 425m doesn't seem like a particularly good idea.

But staying away from MSI's build quality and spotty heat issues would seem like a good idea.

Chris R

Any GREAT 460 based laptops out yet? I figure that should be the sweet spot (well, that or wait for the 6xxx mobile solution) in terms of performance and price without having to go SLI. I don't mind a DTR either.

survivor

Banned
Looking for a gaming laptop for a friend and found one for cheap price with these specs

Intel Core 2 Duo P7350 2GHz
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

I know the RAM is good and when I looked for benchmarks for the graphic card they were good too. It's just I'm not too sure about the CPU. Is it still decent or is it too old? The only games he will play are SC2 and Civ5

keeblerdrow said:
But staying away from MSI's build quality and spotty heat issues would seem like a good idea.

Perhaps, but that is in no way a justification for a machine with a GTX 425M. It just means neither machine may be suitable. Tankfully, there's more than 2 high en laptops on the market.

survivor said:
Looking for a gaming laptop for a friend and found one for cheap price with these specs

4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

I know the RAM is good and when I looked for benchmarks for the graphic card they were good too. It's just I'm not too sure about the CPU. Is it still decent or is it too old? The only games he will play are SC2 and Civ5

How cheap are we talking?

<$700 and its interesting anything more than that and there's better options out there.

K.Jack

The Sager 5135 is not a Clevo, it's a Compal. Throw the superior build talk out of the window.

rhfb said:
Any GREAT 460 based laptops out yet? I figure that should be the sweet spot (well, that or wait for the 6xxx mobile solution) in terms of performance and price without having to go SLI. I don't mind a DTR either.

How long can you wait? Mobility 6000 will be out in Q1, January or February.

survivor said:

4 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

A P7350 will be a severe bottleneck in either of those games.

What's the budget?

Sorry for bothering again.

But how will the Asus PRO78JQ-TY066V run Starcraft 2 on high settings.

Specs: 17,3 inch
Intel Core i7 740QM with L2 cache 6MB
4 GB RAM
500 GB hard drive @ 5400 RPM
Windows 7 Home Premium
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 1gig

Thanks again.

survivor

Banned
brain_stew said:
How cheap are we talking?

<$700 and its interesting anything more than that and there's better options out there.
It's a refurbished laptop for 650.
K.Jack said:
A P7350 will be a severe bottleneck in either of those games.

What's the budget?
His budget is around 700-800. The thing is he is only willing to buy from Canadian websites so a lot of laptops are more expensive than than the US prices.

Mairu

Hi! I'm considering selling my MBP and getting a windows laptop, but I'd like to take a look at the options before I do anything.

I don't know if I want to spend more than $1000 on a laptop, it depends on how much I end up getting but that's the "initial" budget. Although I probably won't do anything until January at the earliest, is there anything I can look at now to have an idea of what I can get for that price? I don't really know anything about windows laptops anymore, except for the fact that I dislike alienware :p

dLMN8R

Mairu said:
Hi! I'm considering selling my MBP and getting a windows laptop, but I'd like to take a look at the options before I do anything.

I don't know if I want to spend more than $1000 on a laptop, it depends on how much I end up getting but that's the "initial" budget. Although I probably won't do anything until January at the earliest, is there anything I can look at now to have an idea of what I can get for that price? I don't really know anything about windows laptops anymore, except for the fact that I dislike alienware :p
1) $1000 can buy an awful lot of options. You need to tell us what you want in terms of size, battery life, gaming prowess, and what priority you place all of those items in.

2) Why do you dislike Alienware? I did too, until I got my m11x, and now I simply couldn't be happier. For $1000 I have an amazingly portable gaming machine that's more powerful than an Xbox 360, yet lasts 5+ hours for browsing the web and 2+ hours playing games.

K.Jack

survivor said:
It's a refurbished laptop for 650.

His budget is around 700-800. The thing is he is only willing to buy from Canadian websites so a lot of laptops are more expensive than than the US prices.
It's a good buy then. You should be able to overclock the CPU, since its an Asus.

K.Jack said:
It's a good buy then. You should be able to overclock the CPU, since its an Asus.

Yeah, I'm going to have to go along with this, the fact that the budget is <$800 and you're restricted to Canadian retailers, changes things an awful lot.

Mairu

dLMN8R said:
1) $1000 can buy an awful lot of options. You need to tell us what you want in terms of size, battery life, gaming prowess, and what priority you place all of those items in.

2) Why do you dislike Alienware? I did too, until I got my m11x, and now I simply couldn't be happier. For $1000 I have an amazingly portable gaming machine that's more powerful than an Xbox 360, yet lasts 5+ hours for browsing the web and 2+ hours playing games.
No more than 15", no less than 2.5-3 hr battery life (I have no idea what battery life on windows laptops are like, the last windows laptop I used was like a presario x1000 or some shit)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by gaming prowess, but the games I expect to be playing are Blizzard games, source engine games, and maybe The Old Republic (though I have a desktop for that as I assume it'll take a bit more than I can afford).

I realize Alienware has changed since they were bought by Dell, but I don't like the form factor of their laptops and while the m11x looks really nice. I'm not sure I want an 11" laptop unless it's something like a macbook air with an ssd or something crazy (considering this but seeing what kind of value I can get going just for a windows laptop)

I have a netbook (which I may sell if I decide to get the MBA), a gaming desktop, and am getting rid of the MBP. Just trying to decide what the next step is :O

K.Jack

Mairu said:
No more than 15", no less than 2.5-3 hr battery life (I have no idea what battery life on windows laptops are like, the last windows laptop I used was like a presario x1000 or some shit)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by gaming prowess, but the games I expect to be playing are Blizzard games, source engine games, and maybe The Old Republic (though I have a desktop for that as I assume it'll take a bit more than I can afford).

I realize Alienware has changed since they were bought by Dell, but I don't like the form factor of their laptops and while the m11x looks really nice. I'm not sure I want an 11" laptop unless it's something like a macbook air with an ssd or something crazy (considering this but seeing what kind of value I can get going just for a windows laptop)

I have a netbook (which I may sell if I decide to get the MBA), a gaming desktop, and am getting rid of the MBP. Just trying to decide what the next step is :O
Sager 5135?

Mairu

K.Jack said:
Sager 5135?
What the fuck is a Sager? :lol :p

Like I said I don't know anything about windows laptops anymore but when it comes to any kind of laptop I really have to know the brand reputation as far as build durability & such is concerned

MoxManiac

What's the best gaming focused laptop choice for a budget of $900 to $1100?

Most important is GPU and screen size. Battery life and size isn't a huge deal since I expect to have access to having it plugged in most of the time.

dLMN8R

Mairu said:

1) If you want a laptop that can manage games with 3+ hours of battery life, there are very few choices...I'm not exactly sure what those choices are though, so I'll leave others to make those recommendations.

2) By gaming prowess I meant what you were asking for. What kind of games do you want to play? I bet The Old Republic will be quite a bit more demanding than those other games you mention. Blizzard and Valve are the best of the pack in terms of scalability. Do you want to be playing multiplatform 360/PS3/PC games? You might want something a bit more beefy.

3) The design of the m11x isn't too bad at all. The size of the screen isn't a problem at all in playing games since it's a full 720p resolution. You can easily configure the machine with an SSD if you want.

Mairu said:
What the fuck is a Sager? :lol :p

Like I said I don't know anything about windows laptops anymore but when it comes to any kind of laptop I really have to know the brand reputation as far as build durability & such is concerned

Sager is the American company that rebrands Clevo laptops. Clevo laptops are Taiwanese (I think) built high end machines that generally have some of the best build quality in the industry. Sager also rebrands a couple other companies' machines, so pay attention to which model they're rebranding.

Mairu

dLMN8R said:
1) If you want a laptop that can manage games with 3+ hours of battery life, there are very few choices...I'm not exactly sure what those choices are though, so I'll leave others to make those recommendations.

2) By gaming prowess I meant what you were asking for. What kind of games do you want to play? I bet The Old Republic will be quite a bit more demanding than those other games you mention. Blizzard and Valve are the best of the pack in terms of scalability. Do you want to be playing multiplatform 360/PS3/PC games? You might want something a bit more beefy.

3) The design of the m11x isn't too bad at all. The size of the screen isn't a problem at all in playing games since it's a full 720p resolution. You can easily configure the machine with an SSD if you want.
I don't think I really need 3 hours + battery life for gaming, but 2.5-3+ with general internet use & media playing would be nice while much less for gaming would be fine. The majority of the actual gaming usage on the laptop will probably be when it is plugged in.

I honestly just put TOR because I have no idea what else I'll end up deciding to play down the road. I have a 360/PS3 so I have no plans on getting the PC versions to play at lesser quality on a laptop, so that's out of the question. I'd like to be able to play SC2, (maybe) wow, D3 (blizzard games ha ha) and although D3 isn't out yet I assume it'll be fairly scalable like the rest of Blizzard's games. I realize Valve stuff is mostly scalable too, but these games are probably the only games I'll end up playing on a laptop.

That's nice to hear that the m11x has a good design, but I still find alienware designs to be generally ugly and on a small machine I really have to feel the keyboard before plunking down the cash. Before I bought my dell netbook (that I may get rid of...) the majority of my research consisted of going to Best Buy and typing on the keyboards of the netbooks they offered. This is another reason why I'm weary to getting something like an m11x.

Sager is the American company that rebrands Clevo laptops. Clevo laptops are Taiwanese (I think) built high end machines that generally have some of the best build quality in the industry. Sager also rebrands a couple other companies' machines, so pay attention to which model they're rebranding.
Thanks for the information about Sager. I'll check out the model listed by K.Jack. Does anyone with experience with Sager models have any input on their keyboards? It may seem kinda odd but the most important part for me in terms of form factor is probably the way the keyboard is set up. My roommate has an m17x and I really dislike the full-size mini keyboard (or whatever they call it). When it comes to laptops, I'm used to typing on a MBP and I do like the way the keys are spaced out and the size of the keys as well as the weight and resistance on them.

Mairu

dLMN8R said:
The m11x has been at my local Best Buy for 6+ months. You should probably check yours.
I don't think I've been to a Best Buy since I stopped working there in January :lol Thanks.

GiJoccin

Hey, I'd like to get a solid laptop that will last me a while. I don't need to play many games on it, maybe just like diablo 2 or some random oldschool game. What's more of a priority is a decent screen to watch tv shows on, but still semi-portable, decent battery life, and won't break easily. Basically, where can I find quality laptops these days?

Thanks!

Mairu

So far it looks like the best suggestions I've been given are the Sager 5135 and the Acer Aspire TimelineX AS4820TG.

My only issues with the Sager are that it's a full size compact keyboard and my experience with those on alienware laptops are nothing but negative. I just have a much harder time typing on them. I've also read about issues with the heat as well as issues with the laptop vibrating (from the HD?) and noise issues with the cd drive.

I'm still researching but I'm open to comments on these issues if you have a Sager or if you have any input on the Acer

Mairu said:
So far it looks like the best suggestions I've been given are the Sager 5135 and the Acer Aspire TimelineX AS4820TG.

My only issues with the Sager are that it's a full size compact keyboard and my experience with those on alienware laptops are nothing but negative. I just have a much harder time typing on them. I've also read about issues with the heat as well as issues with the laptop vibrating (from the HD?) and noise issues with the cd drive.

I'm still researching but I'm open to comments on these issues if you have a Sager or if you have any input on the Acer

I have the 3820tg (A slightly smaller 4820tg without the DVD Drive). Cannot complain at all about it. Playing Borderlands, Just Cause 2 etc on it perfectly fine. System stays cool as well. For its price it is an amazing machine.

Azure J

Ugh, Blackcomb and Sandy Bridge need to hurry up and get launched already. (Or at the very least Mobility Radeon 68xx stuff needs to start leaking.) I'm seriously fighting off the urge to splurge now, especially with all these cool promotions for Black Friday starting to pop up here and there. At the same time, a 2GHz+ true quad core processor with HT and 3GHz+ turbo modes with a GPU close to the desktop 5850 in a laptop is drool worthy. :lol

[/harmless but relevant bump]

Mairu

MiloFoxburr said:
I have the 3820tg (A slightly smaller 4820tg without the DVD Drive). Cannot complain at all about it. Playing Borderlands, Just Cause 2 etc on it perfectly fine. System stays cool as well. For its price it is an amazing machine.
You're able to play Borderlands & Just Cause 2 fine with integrated graphics? (Unless I'm missing a gpu somewhere)

Mairu said:
You're able to play Borderlands & Just Cause 2 fine with integrated graphics? (Unless I'm missing a gpu somewhere)

The 3820tg has the Ati 5650m. So does the 4820tg that you linked too. Some models have a 5470 which is crappy. So if you're going for the 4820tg make sure you get one with the 5650m.

It does switchable graphics as well. So I run the Intel graphics while on battery and 5650m otherwise.

Mairu

MiloFoxburr said:
The 3820tg has the Ati 5650m. So does the 4820tg that you linked too. Some models have a 5470 which is crappy. So if you're going for the 4820tg make sure you get one with the 5650m.

It does switchable graphics as well. So I run the Intel graphics while on battery and 5650m otherwise.
I can't seem to find the 3820tg anywhere :(

I see reviews for it mentioning the dedicated GPU but it's not on Amazon, Newegg, or even Acer's official site (they don't mention any other 3820s other than the ones with integrated graphics)

How is the keyboard on the TimelineX? I've been used to using a MacBook Pro keyboard + touchpad and while I don't expect anything close to the beauty of an Apple touchpad :)P), it'd be nice to have some input on it since I'm not sure I can find anywhere in store to check it out

Mairu said:
I can't seem to find the 3820tg anywhere :(

I see reviews for it mentioning the dedicated GPU but it's not on Amazon, Newegg, or even Acer's official site (they don't mention any other 3820s other than the ones with integrated graphics)

How is the keyboard on the TimelineX? I've been used to using a MacBook Pro keyboard + touchpad and while I don't expect anything close to the beauty of an Apple touchpad :)P), it'd be nice to have some input on it since I'm not sure I can find anywhere in store to check it out

Acer 3820TG North America Purchase Options

Seems like to buy it with the 5650m you have to get it from Canada or Taiwan. I bought my model from Amazon.de and got it sent to Ireland. I don't think they'll ship to America though. You can replace the Keyboard fairly easily as well (Since it wouldn't be a standard American Keyboard).

I like the Keyboard. There is quite a large gap under each key though so it's going to get dirty. Other people have complained of Flex before but I've noticed none on my model. Don't like the Touchpad. Then again I tend not to use Touchpads anyway as I stick to a USB Mouse. Maybe I should look into configuring it but the default just seems a bit weird to use. Supports MultiTouch though.

Mairu

MiloFoxburr said:
Acer 3820TG North America Purchase Options

Seems like to buy it with the 5650m you have to get it from Canada or Taiwan. I bought my model from Amazon.de and got it sent to Ireland. I don't think they'll ship to America though. You can replace the Keyboard fairly easily as well (Since it wouldn't be a standard American Keyboard).

I like the Keyboard. There is quite a large gap under each key though so it's going to get dirty. Other people have complained of Flex before but I've noticed none on my model. Don't like the Touchpad. Then again I tend not to use Touchpads anyway as I stick to a USB Mouse. Maybe I should look into configuring it but the default just seems a bit weird to use. Supports MultiTouch though.
Damn, I don't think it would be worth the increased cost to get it over the 4820 (although it might be nice to have a 13" instead of a 14") considering I'd have to get it shipped from Canada :(

I used to and usually despise touchpads as well, but the difference between using a MBP touchpad and using a touchpad on a windows laptop is like night and day, they shouldn't even be called the same thing (And I don't have a new MBP with one of those glass touchpads either!)

One other option I've noticed is that if I decide to go with the Sager 5135, I can get it from xoticpc.com (anyone have any experience with these dudes?) without an OS on it, and that'd save a bit of money and I can just get a a free Win7Pro key from MSDN through my university. Hmm....

mclem

I'm musing on treating myself to a laptop for my birthday/christmas, and am just starting to gently take a look at the various options on the market.

At the moment, through work, I can get discounts on Dell (and therefore Alienware) gear, which does make the M15X look rather tempting, but before I commit to that, I thought it'd be worth getting opinions over here.

My overall goal is to get something roughly on a par with my desktop; that's an (overclocked) i5-750 with a Radeon 5850 and four gigs of RAM; however, there's space for the system to be a bit weaker given what I actually generally *do* with it (which is, basically, mostly WoW :). Still, approximate consistency between desktop and laptop would be nice.

One factor that I should take into account is that I can get more significant discounts on the less games-focussed Dell range (in particular an i7 XPS 15 with a GT 435M), but I've no idea how those systems stand up to modern gaming requirements.

At the moment, it appears the best options are:
XPS 15, i3-370M, GT 420M, 4GB ram: £580

XPS 15, i7-740QM, GT 435M, 6GB ram: £830

Alienbrain M11X, i5-520UM, GT 335M, 4GB ram: £840

Alienbrain M15X, i5-520M, HD 5730, 4GB ram: £1050

Any idea where the best choice lies? Or should I abandon Dell and look elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom