• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Nexus - The Problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics, & Responsibility

FingerBang

Nobody said anything about being nice to fans. The problem woth him is that he let success get to his head, just like your avg dsp.
He has been saying and doing stupid shit fkr years. It is about fucking time someone checked him on his bs.
Yeah, I have no problem with that. Though I only watch LMG videos for fun (and they do a ton of fun shit), I'm all for being more accurate and less impulsive.

But I don't think the whole show could go ok without Linus being Linus or suddenly changing the tone. It'd be their death

Azzurri

I don't have a dog in this fight and frankly don't care, but for some reason Steve from GN rubs me the wrong way, I don't what it is as I can't put my finger on it, but there is something there that gives me that feeling.

Last edited:
Credit where it's due, that video by Linus was on the money. I was one of those with the pitchforks out as I've hated the incessant plugging of their merch for donkey's years now, but other than that, I always did find the content enjoyable enough. Definitely not to be taken seriously which is a downside, but fun at times all the same.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Because he plays with his hair every 10 seconds like a bitch

Congrats on the single most unintelligent post of the thread.

Celebrate Way To Go GIF by DraftKings

ReBurn

Gold Member
A week of PR coaching and scripting and that is the result.
Nothing learned. Even what should be a simple correction is now a three tiered process that may lead to a correction.
At least he openly admitted that his company's focus has been more about entertainment than accuracy. Most of us knew it, but I respect him for saying it. Hopefully their future work at least doesn't pretend to be about anything other than entertainment value.

Kaleinc

Banned
1*w4DxUy0PMoqeq25UXfyL0g@2x.jpeg

Is that your gay thoughts taking over your perception of Steve?
My comment was a fact, yours was a gay nexus shenanigan
Nice try though

One more interesting fact. Even though original statement was directed at a third party a bunch of you joe shmoes took it very, very personally.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
My comment was a fact, yours was a gay nexus shenanigan
Nice try though

One more interesting fact. Even though original statement was directed at a third party a bunch of you joe shmoes took it very, very personally.

Your posts say a lot more about you than it does about us "shmoes", I'm afraid.

Kdad

All of these are minor issues that did not warrant a 45 minute rant trying to ruin someone's reputation.

LMG's accuracy: Has long been known to be lacking, and for any review, double-checking with a website like NotebookCheck has always been what anyone should do. LMG has long been known to be about form over function, or rather entertaining over informing. LMG has acknowledged before that they need to improve on their accuracy.

The waterblock: Billet Labs fucked up by not making a legal agreement over their supposed lone prototype. Further, the conclusion still stands whether it on a 4090 or 3090: it's a niche mod that is for the very few (who should also be more than double-checking information, or just have the money to burn).

Framework: Repeatedly disclosed, with clear efforts to show that they do not let it prejudice their reviews of other laptops. Linus has been a bit of an arrogant clown regarding the specifics on the Framework devices, but Framework's CEO has made a clear effort to prevent that becoming an issue.

Overwork: From what we can tell, LMG employees are well reimbursed for their work. There has been too much pressure to produce videos, but that has been acknowledged for a while and there are signs that they have been taking steps to address this.

We all know that Linus can be an arrogant little prick at times. But the unfounded vitriol that has come out is, well, if he were in the UK he'd have very good grounds for taking people to court for defamation.

It's not like GN are innocent. Their deskpad anyone? Or should we just not mention that? Or how about Steve's rants that go on about industrial processes that quite frequently are wrong?
I was addressing your statment that GNs video was due to recent LMG statement.

It was not.

Now you want to use this to restate your opinions to guard LMGs corporate honour, have at it. You seem invested over what you state are minor LMG issues.I was simply correcting your initial assertion.

Go forth warrior.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

So LMG paid a law firm to investigate themselves on their behalf. Wouldn't they need to be independent from any LMG financials for their findings to be objective and unbiased?

Edit: I should add, I have no horse in this race at all.

Last edited:

peish

Gold Member
So LMG paid a law firm to investigate themselves on their behalf. Wouldn't they need to be independent from any LMG financials for their findings to be objective and unbiased?

Edit: I should add, I have no horse in this race at all.

Yes probably that’s the expectation the law firm is professional or have their professionalism on the line to clear LMG

That’s how auditing works too

King Dazzar

Yes probably that’s the expectation the law firm is professional or have their professionalism on the line to clear LMG

That’s how auditing works too
I was just thinking of past experience here in the UK. When it came to the many audits I was involved in, they did go about things from an independent perspective. And heavily scrutinised inventory and accounting. Ensuring that the various companies I work for were fully compliant. And in doing so also giving confidence if ever there was a random check done by a government body.

But when it came to a couple of staffing concerns, the "independent" 3rd parties used to assess, were very clearly trying to find evidence to support the client i.e company, not the staff. Which is why I couldnt help but read the tweet with some scepticism.

But I'll stress again. I dont care about the LTT situation at all, it was only ever of very mild interest to me. My point was more just around questioning the tweet being presented as conclusive proof.

Last edited:

rm082e

The allegations seemed like a mentally ill person making mountains out of mole hills, likely to get attention and sympathy. This is what I expected.

Linus clearly got too focused on the business side and lost his way on the ethics end of it. As a long time viewer, it was sad to watch. But, it's a lot of responsibility running a company that big. He did the right thing by handing over the CEO job to someone he trusts.

Ribi

Ye no enjoy being cancelled again LTT. This statement screams you hate woman and have no respect for anyone who suffers from mental illness. You should have never even made a statement because you all look like the good ole boys club now you misogynistic pigs. #IstandWithMadison

Oh shit wrong website

diffusionx

Gold Member
LTT provided an update on the case:

tldr: No evidence, thought about suing ex-employee for defamation, but going to move on.

The way that "workplace harassment" accusation came out as LMG was facing this massive crisis always smelled fishy. Now they get to go on their high horse and say they have done nothing wrong while everyone has moved on from the original reasons of why GN went after them.

I haven't watched a single LTT video since and this certainly isn't going to change my mind.

Valedix

Gold Member
Ye no enjoy being cancelled again LTT. This statement screams you hate woman and have no respect for anyone who suffers from mental illness. You should have never even made a statement because you all look like the good ole boys club now you misogynistic pigs. #IstandWithMadison

Oh shit wrong website
you had me in the first half lol

ironically these are the exact replies on the other site

SoraNoKuni

Anyone having actually ever worked in their lives know this type of person, self-entitled and always offended, usually creating drama between other employees and when this doesn't work as indented, they target the company as a whole.
It's a shame because valid concerns from good people may be thrown in the dumpster due to these people destroying employee credibility.

peish

Gold Member
The way that "workplace harassment" accusation came out as LMG was facing this massive crisis always smelled fishy. Now they get to go on their high horse and say they have done nothing wrong while everyone has moved on from the original reasons of why GN went after them.

I haven't watched a single LTT video since and this certainly isn't going to change my mind.

I thought the original reason GN made their attack video was just very petty steve, he got his head up in his own ass and took offence with an innocent remark.

He saw a content making opportunity for his fanbase too

Last edited:

Sorcerer

I thought the original reason GN made their attack video was just very petty steve, he got his head up in his own ass and took offence with an innocent remark.

He saw a content making opportunity for his fanbase too
I doubt it was an innocent remark. Steve/GN wipes the floor with the Linus crew, maybe not for entertainment value to the casuals and the masses, but he is more thorough and knowledgeable than anyone on Linus's staff. The guy who made the remark surely was aware of this and spoke out of some sort of jealousy, and he certainly picked on the wrong guy.
I will admit Linus has that really good Apple guy on staff, but I haven't seen him in a long time.

Last edited:

demigod

A week of PR coaching and scripting and that is the result.
Nothing learned. Even what should be a simple correction is now a three tiered process that may lead to a correction.

Anyone having actually ever worked in their lives know this type of person, self-entitled and always offended, usually creating drama between other employees and when this doesn't work as indented, they target the company as a whole.
It's a shame because valid concerns from good people may be thrown in the dumpster due to these people destroying employee credibility.
How quickly did we forget his bs pr. If he was honest, either sue for defamation or don’t threaten and not sue.

rm082e

Now they get to go on their high horse and say they have done nothing wrong while everyone has moved on from the original reasons of why GN went after them.

I don't think that's the case. They did address Steve's criticism. They took a week off from making videos to do some internal reflection and changed their work flow. They put plans in place to try to prevent the mistakes Steve pointed out moving forward.

I haven't seen any indications Linus missed the point. It seems like Steve got his message across loud and clear. Linus was too focused on the business and not on the ethics of being a reviewer/voice of the consumer. He apologized and course corrected.

StereoVsn

I don't think that's the case. They did address Steve's criticism. They took a week off from making videos to do some internal reflection and changed their work flow. They put plans in place to try to prevent the mistakes Steve pointed out moving forward.

I haven't seen any indications Linus missed the point. It seems like Steve got his message across loud and clear. Linus was too focused on the business and not on the ethics of being a reviewer/voice of the consumer. He apologized and course corrected.
I very much doubt they corrected jack shit. They still produce the same sort of crap as before. LTT fucked over completely a tiny startup and laughed about it. Not to mention all the inaccuracies and bad advice.

My point is that they are still terrible and having a law firm they hired “confirm” anything is pretty pointless. What is your point?
Ah ok so you don't care that they hired a law firm to investigate whether the accusation towards the company was true or not? You would have still thought they were terrible, gotcha.

StereoVsn

Ah ok so you don't care that they hired a law firm to investigate whether the accusation towards the company was true or not? You would have still thought they were terrible, gotcha.
The law firm hiring was for the employee’s harassment accusation. It has nothing to do with Linus and Co being asshats and screwing over startups or providing inaccurate reviews.

But yeah, reading comprehension is hard in this age.

And yes, hiring law firms in cases like this is mostly protecting the company and positioning them against any potential lawsuits by digging up anything that could make their case stronger. Unless say company board hires it for investigative purposes it’s mostly a sham.

Sorcerer

In the end the amount of subscribers Linus lost was a pittance. His channel is still massive when it comes to views. Linus seemed insincere throughout the whole apology tour and his staff even made stupid jokes about it in their own apology reel.
Linus lives to be Linus another day.
Loveable, goofy Linus from yore is gone. I equate it to the Angry Video Game Nerd, where it just becomes a business in the end, enough to kill passion. But that's just the way things go. With great power comes great responsibility and it will change you.

Last edited:
The law firm hiring was for the employee’s harassment accusation. It has nothing to do with Linus and Co being asshats and screwing over startups or providing inaccurate reviews.

But yeah, reading comprehension is hard in this age.

And yes, hiring law firms in cases like this is mostly protecting the company and positioning them against any potential lawsuits by digging up anything that could make their case stronger. Unless say company board hires it for investigative purposes it’s mostly a sham.
Oh no your right, it has nothing to do with that. Like I said, either way, in your eyes they still produce terrible videos and you doubt they have corrected anything. You hold them accountable for their past actions and hey that's completely fine.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
LTT provided an update on the case:

tldr: No evidence, thought about suing ex-employee for defamation, but going to move on.

This is how you handle things. I'm pretty sure even some of you petty people here forgot about it. They didn't. Major props to them.

rm082e

I very much doubt they corrected jack shit. They still produce the same sort of crap as before. LTT fucked over completely a tiny startup and laughed about it. Not to mention all the inaccuracies and bad advice.

You could be right. I don't watch every video, so I can't say for sure.

Looking back, I could see the responsibility of being CEO changing Linus' attitude over the years as the business grew bigger and he was responsible for more and more people. That's not surprising at all, and it's a necessity up to a certain point if you want to keep the lights on and keep the paychecks rolling to the people you've hired. But eventually, being a CEO is going to be incompatible with being a host/personality. It's inevitable that those two roles will clash, and one is going to take priority over the other. In this case, his role as CEO led him to say shit like "We're not going to take the time to go back and do that review properly because it would cost too much money and no one would care about the results anyway." He was too focused on the financials to see how damaging that attitude was to their reputation.

I just speed through the WAN show for topics that catch my interest, watch Gamelinked regularly, and watch some of their goofy videos. I haven't seen any examples of him being a dick since the whole thing with GN went down. It at least seems like he understands his response to Steve was bad. Time will tell I guess.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
In the end the amount of subscribers Linus lost was a pittance. His channel is still massive when it comes to views. Linus seemed insincere throughout the whole apology tour and his staff even made stupid jokes about it in their own apology reel.
Linus lives to be Linus another day.
Loveable, goofy Linus from yore is gone. I equate it to the Angry Video Game Nerd, where it just becomes a business in the end, enough to kill passion. But that's just the way things go. With great power comes great responsibility and it will change you.

I haven’t watched avgn in many many years but recently heard he hired a talent management agency to write his scripts, shoot the videos and edit them.

At this point what the fuck are you doing mate.

Sorcerer

I haven’t watched avgn in many many years but recently heard he hired a talent management agency to write his scripts, shoot the videos and edit them.

At this point what the fuck are you doing mate.
Young James was the Goat. Old James seems like he needs someone to poke him with a stick once in a while to keep him from dozing off.
I wonder if his shitty movie killed his ambitions of being a great film maker and he is just despondent now.

Last edited:
It's funny because I think that's you! A big one as well. I don't know you but I know it's true. I just know it! And you can't possibly not be on in real life! IT CANNOT BE OTHERWISE
Fucking over a startup by selling their prototype without their authorization and then joking about it after being called out is enough for me to determine whether Linus is a cunt or not. You don't have to know him personally to figure that shit out.

Top Bottom