• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games capable of physically destroying the console

RedToad64

I don't understand how people can play games like Kirby Canvas Curse and Pokemon Ranger without scratching their screens.

Batman Arkham Asylum killed one of my 360s in the weirdest way

I was just playing the game and I had to sticky bomb a wall and after setting it up and activating it the entire screen basically blew up lol.
The image became scrambled and the game kept running, thought I could just turn it off and turn it on but the scrambled image remained, even when not playing that game

I tried on and off for the week to see if it would fix itself but it didn't so i declared the console dead

My theory is Ninja Gaiden 4 will do this. For evidence, see how each entry in the modern series gets proportionally worse

NG1/B: 9/10
NG2: 6/10
NG3: 3/10
NG Yaiba: 1/10

At this rate, NG4 will probably give you cancer, and your console will explode

qko

A lot of old sports games on the NES which required mashing buttons did a number on Controllers. I'm looking at you Track & Field.

The Last of Us destroyed my fat PS3

Every time I play a graphically intensive game on my launch PS3, I use the AC. The only time my system overheated is when playing Uncharted 3 once during Summer without the AC.

I feel like MGS5 can kill the Ps3 after crashing multiple times and seeing a bunch of graphical glitches.

foxdvd

Yars' Revenge...

My older brother got a copy of this for the Atari 2600. He was an ass to me, and never let me play his games. My friend was over and we went into his room and grabbed it while he was out...he came home and caught us playing and we got into a big LOUD argument.

My mom worked over night shifts...she was sleeping at the time and came out of her room screaming like a mad lady...she grabbed the broom and smashed the atari 2600 over and over while (I still remember to this day) I screamed with tears coming down my face "You're killing it!"

neoemonk

Uncharted 2 killed my ps3. Both Last of Us and Uncharted 4 caused my consoles to crash, which pretty much never happens with other games I've played.

I've had multiple crashes on my PS4 playing Rocket League, but I don't think it's ever crashed the whole console.

khaaan

Not necessarily kill, but I remember hearing people talking about one of the Devil May Cry games on PS2 having issues on the old model but not the slim. I also remember hearing that some Xbox games had issues because the console changed it's disc drive at various points in it's life so the different speeds had an impact.

With the PS4 I'm worried practically everything is killing the device. The fan is so stupid loud with the worst offender being Dragon Quest Heroes. I can pause the game and literally hear the fan going from a roar to basically silent. As soon as there's any movement on screen though...

webrunner

I vauguley remember a recent game that if you left it on the menu screen the framerate would skyrocket to some absurd number. I dont known if it destroyed any systems but I'd think it would do some damage of you forgot on for an hour ..

That was Starcraft 2 wasn't it?

mrmickfran

I don't understand how people can play games like Kirby Canvas Curse and Pokemon Ranger without scratching their screens.
Screen protectors are a gift from the gaming gods.

I can't even begin to imagine how my 3DS' touch screen would be without a screen protector after 300+ hours of Theatrhythm.

I finally got around to Uncharted 4 the other day. The opening sequence made my PS4 whir up a storm, and just yesterday during the shootout at the jewel heist, the game straight-up crashed and gave me an error message.

Elite Beat Agents permanently created numerous circle-shaped scratches on my DS Lite screen. Totally worth it.

Don't think TWEWY helped much either.

Weren't there some games that could make a PS2 more Disc Read Error-prone?

On a similar note, some games just never worked for any PS2 I had. I think my family has had four PS2s at different points and God of War would never load up on any of them. Disc was new and in perfect condition but it just wouldn't play for some reason.

EctoPrime

Wait, is that from the old man in the village who is say near a tree in the graveyard and tells you stories of the games history?

My sister was playing through the game last summer, and when she was listening to the stories it suddenly started playing the intro in super slow motion during one of them, before the PS2 locked up.

Probably. I haven't played the game in over a decade but it was some guy telling stories.

Rogue Leader on Gamecube would have to be a potential drive killer if you played the game a lot with audio commentary enabled. The amount of noise the drive makes when doing it and streaming level data is something that you can tell is not good for the console.

MVP Baseball 2005.

After playing all the spring training games, playing the entire 162 game season, playing a NLDS of 4 games, playing a 7 game NLCS. I got swept in the WS playing as the NY Mets against get this...the Oakland A's.

Now some of you may have quit the games before losing but I'm not a cheater so I stuck with it. After it sunk in that I spent all those hours playing all those games, I broke my ps2 with a baseball bat.

I have never raged that hard over a game since.

On another note, my ps3's disc drive crapped out on me while playing Motorstorm.

Pyrrhus

Sounds like jumping to conclusions to me.

Probably, but my first PS3 died while I was playing through Folklore as well. The section with the WWI/Hell motif.

The Mega Drive/Genesis game Alien Soldier has the capability to destroy the system if the player is good enough at it. The system can't keep up with everything that happens on screen and it begins to overheat, eventually damaging the core processor.

Isn't this why the Japanese title screen says "Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is the time to the 68000 heart on fire!"?

Isn't this why the Japanese title screen says "Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is the time to the 68000 heart on fire!"?

LOL, it's possible. All I know is that I've seen some insane stuff on Alien Soldier, but would never attempt a high-level game on my Genesis. I own the Sega Ages Treasure Box, so that's where I typically play it.

Tain

LOL, it's possible. All I know is that I've seen some insane stuff on Alien Soldier, but would never attempt a high-level game on my Genesis. I own the Sega Ages Treasure Box, so that's where I typically play it.

wait, I thought you were joking.

Surely there aren't actually reports of a Genesis CPU overheating, right? All sorts of games run with slowdown, after all...

Iorv3th

The Last of Us destroyed my fat PS3

Uncharted 2 and ffxiii(PS3)

The Last of Us killed my fat launch PS3 by making it run significantly hotter than any game before it. I took great care of it too, cleaning dust from it every year. Still ran the fans at full blast after a thorough dust cleaning and reapplication of thermal paste.

FFXIII melted the GPU of my fat MGS4 BC PS3. RIP.

I remember a fruitless back and forth between Sony and Squaresoft where each party blamed the other for consoles dropping like flies as a result of the game's demanding visuals.

Folklore killed my first PS3. I saved the game before the last boss and turned it off to go out for a bit, and it got the yellow light of death the next time I tried to turn it back on. Fortunately, it was still under warranty.

Sounds like jumping to conclusions to me.

That's what all of these are. A certain game isn't going to cause your ps3 to melt your GPU or overheat. If that does happen it's because your system already had problems.

Correlation does not equal causation. I still have my fat PS3 and played GTAV, all Uncharted games and The Last of Us and it never broke. If the game were responsible it would have broken all fat ps3.

It's like when people put their systems on a 'wine cooler' and then blame gears of war for breaking the system.

Weren't there some games that could make a PS2 more Disc Read Error-prone?

On a similar note, some games just never worked for any PS2 I had. I think my family has had four PS2s at different points and God of War would never load up on any of them. Disc was new and in perfect condition but it just wouldn't play for some reason.

I think some drives had trouble reading dual layer discs. They either needed cleaning or re-alignment.

Brawl and xenoblade made the lens on my wii go kaput, it was a relase day console and on its last year it sounded like a plane taking off. Had to finish xeonblade on my wiiU.

Smash bros for 3ds broke my circle pad because the game is not meant to be done with those type of controls.

wait, I thought you were joking.

Surely there aren't actually reports of a Genesis CPU overheating, right? All sorts of games run with slowdown, after all...

Nope, being very serious. It isn't widespread because the game was never released in the US, so you probably didn't hear about much of it. It has happened though.

That's the joke... lol

Pwnedkiller

Neo Member
Saints Row 2 when causing extreme amounts of havoc on the PS3 would make the system run really hot and suffer from extreme amounts of stutter and other graphical issues. Me and my buddy would play that game just to see how far we could push the console to destruction. Never broke one but we got very near to it I think.

goldenpp72

My old 360 died while going for the survivor achievement in the original Dead Rising. I think it took something like 14 hours to get it, and I had left the system on overnight a couple days so I could take breaks.

My Xbox elite broke during Resident evil 5 for no real reason. Capcom giveth and taketh I guess.

AetherZX

Transistor with the right skills combination and use of them could probably do a number after extended periods.

That's what all of these are. A certain game isn't going to cause your ps3 to melt your GPU or overheat. If that does happen it's because your system already had problems.

Correlation does not equal causation. I still have my fat PS3 and played GTAV, all Uncharted games and The Last of Us and it never broke. If the game were responsible it would have broken all fat ps3.

It's like when people put their systems on a 'wine cooler' and then blame gears of war for breaking the system.

I think some drives had trouble reading dual layer discs. They either needed cleaning or re-alignment.

Then explain why my PS3 only sounds like a jet when paying The Last of Us yet every other games plays ok.

brawl fucked up my launch wii

I think certain wii's had problems reading dual layered dvds. brawl was the only one on wii when it was released, I believe.

That reminds me, my original Wii had a weird GPU corruption error, and it happened around the time of Brawl. It starting having small spots of bright flashing colors sort of randomly arranged around the screen. Apparently it might have had something to do with overheating due to standby mode? Nintendo replaced it for free I think, and I don't think it was Brawl's fault directly, but it was weird.

dcx4610

I remember Nintendo saying the Game Genie would destroy a NES and SNES because it added extra force to the console. Technically I guess they are right but I think they just wanted an excuse to ban it.

Hyoukokun

I remember a PC game that I had with a die-cut, unusually shaped CD-ROM (the outer edges were just plastic, the data was on a mini-CD in the center). It worked OK on older computers with slow CD drives but turned into a vibrating buzz-saw of doom when used in more modern computers with faster CD drives.

Half of these console killing games sound like they fell at a bad time, my first launch day 360 had a tv-out failure after playing geometrywars 2 but I don't class that game as a console killer.

Danneee

I vauguley remember a recent game that if you left it on the menu screen the framerate would skyrocket to some absurd number. I dont known if it destroyed any systems but I'd think it would do some damage of you forgot on for an hour ..

Rocket League, at least it did on PS4.

I remember a PC game that I had with a die-cut, unusually shaped CD-ROM (the outer edges were just plastic, the data was on a mini-CD in the center). It worked OK on older computers with slow CD drives but turned into a vibrating buzz-saw of doom when used in more modern computers with faster CD drives.

Oh yeah, I remember those discs. Would be fun to read about every accident that happened with those, I imagine opening the disc drive with the disc still spinning is a sure way to get hurt.

Nvzman

Call of Duty: World at War is the shadiest fucking game I've ever experienced on PC.

This game killed my laptop and melted the graphics card (despite being able to run CoD4 fine), and even on my 750ti + i7-4790 computer it freezes up all the time, and sometimes it even causes my pc itself to stop responding.

Guitar Hero 3's max difficulty red ringed my first xbox 360. ( ._.)
You know now that you mention it, I was house sitting my friends launch Wii for summer vacation years ago and had been learning how to get good at Guitar Hero 3. I had finally beat Raining Blood on expert and the system froze. I then tried to turn it on and it was bricked, and they didn't believe me :(

Was probably unrelated but it still sticks with me.

Top Bottom