• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games, Dammit!

Suzzopher

Anyone listen?

Scooter is now the host for the 1up Flagship podcast, although T-Frog proves he is the podcast master by leading the conversations.

Frank Cifaldi's absence doesn't affect our ability to talk about games, dammit! With a quick substitution of Justin Haywald, we blaze though a somewhat games-packed, with talk about Journey, Uncharted 3, Tomb Raider, Catherine, Final Fantasy XIV, Demon's Souls, and Ni No Kuni (Another World -- which Justin and Jeremy go absolutely nuts over). We tackle questions about the disparity between preview and review coverage, our opinion on videogame music concerts, foreign boxarts, and our favorite JRPGs. All this, plus lots of lovable nonsense such as how much we hate the movie Eat Pray Love or what kind of concerts Matt Leone would attend.

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/GamesDammit/GD121010.mp3

It's a good listen, but I miss Ray :(

GhaleonQ

I was surprised in that I do. It's a little bit melancholic, knowing what could have been, but it's a fun, rambling show.

V_Ben

Banned
I've been waiting for somebody to post a link to this show. I really like the dynamic they have going on, and everybody seems to be enjoying themselves when recording it (even Jeremy!). It's quickly becoming my new favourite podcast, with the due exception of the Bombcast.

Grisby

Did Ray get back into anything else? I had never really heard of him until I listened to In this Thread and ATB. He was a pretty good host.

Suzzopher

Grisby said:
Did Ray get back into anything else? I had never really heard of him until I listened to In this Thread and ATB. He was a pretty good host.

Still out of work it seems :( But he was on the last two episodes of The Geekbox.

Suzzopher

It's great hearing Jeremy back on a podcast talking about games. Hopefully we'll get lots of handheld gaming mentioned on here going forward.

Rolf NB

Did this come out just now? I remember looking for it on Friday, came up empty, but I'm not in their ideal timezone anyway.

Yeah, been listening to it from the start. Enjoying it quite a bit, not as great (yet anyway) as my other two favourite US focused podcasts - Bombcast and Weekend Confirmed - but it's a good listen each week.

Gomu Gomu

Couldn't get into it. Way too chaotic and uninterestingly off topic. Also, I hoped they would bring new things besides talking about games, I'd rather listen to other podcasts talk about every week.

LiK

Gomu Gomu said:
Couldn't get into it. Way too chaotic and uninterestingly off topic. Also, I hoped they would bring new things besides talking about games, I'd rather listen to other podcasts talk about every week.
I dunno, its called Games, Dammit

BeeDog

I honestly came into this thread expecting to celebrate the insane number of awesome games scheduled for all consoles in 2011, instead of bickering if console X or Y has a better line-up. :)

(sorry for the off-topic)

Gomu Gomu

LiK said:
I dunno, its called Games, Dammit
I meant games of the week kind of talk. I don't need to hear about Epic Micky, when I already heard what dozen other podcasts think about it. You might argue that it's about the personalities not the topics. Well, fair enough. Then I don't like their personalities as much as I liked the previous regulars.

LiK

Gomu Gomu said:
I meant games of the week kind of talk. I don't need to hear about Epic Micky, when I already heard what dozen other podcasts think about it. You might argue that it's about the personalities not the topics. Well, fair enough. Then I don't like their personalities as much as I liked the previous regulars.
I recommend the 1up Oddcast. Funny random stuff.

Emitan

They didn't like Demon's Souls... :(
It's like "Well, this game take a few hours to get into, so I'm going to stop playing and just say the game is too hard."

Suzzopher

Guys, Demon's Souls doesn't have to be played online. It's best played when you are connected to PSN, but it is still a game that can be played offline.

Goldmund

I really like the show. Scooter is doing a great job. You should read Jeremy's post on GameSpite about it. This show has potential, Jeremy is enjoying himself. That's rare.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Suzzopher said:
But Jeremy leads this show brilliantly, you'd never know Scotter was host if you start listening 30 seconds in.
Well now you've gone and ruined it for me. I'm out.

Suzzopher

ToastyFrog said:
Well now you've gone and ruined it for me. I'm out.

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Seriously, you guys have a great podcast going there. I was worried after Ray left that you wouldn't get one on the site of that quality again. But I'm enjoying it loads. It's a good mix of personalities too.

Seriously I don't get why Jeremy can't enjoy podcasts. He's obviously good at it, and yet he feels like he's the worst at everything he does. Jesus Christ, is there something he feels he's really good at and proud of it ?

LiK

The Bookerman said:
Seriously I don't get why Jeremy can't enjoy podcasts. He's obviously good at it, and yet he feels like he's the worst at everything he does. Jesus Christ, is there something he feels he's really good at and proud of it ?
I think he likes talking about games but doing any of the actual production is just crap for him.

V_Ben

Banned
New episode!

They talk about how 1UP is changing a bit more on this one... Interesting stuff!

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/GamesDammit/GD121710.mp3

Nearly two hours of lovable nonsense this week! Games-wise, we chat a bit about Killzone 3, Intellivision Lives, and Jeremy's disappointment with Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Limited Edition. Plus, we learn all about the Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer game via Amazon reviews (and Frank also attempts to buy Rudolph on-air), and Jeremy and Frank discuss the merits of the original TRON movie. After a very magical appearance from a "special guest," we get into listener queries about seasonal games, gaming guilty pleasures, elevator action, the state of survival horror games, Europeans and embargoes, and how Jeremy can play Vagrant Story on his PSP. All this, and a special offer from one Jeremy Parish to one lucky listener.

Suzzopher

Curufinwe said:
I really like this podcast despite still being sad about what happened to Ray/ITT/The Sound Test.

Same here. The four work really well as a team. They don't get bogged down by the usual dude-bro and industry numbers. Just talk about games.

I agree with Jeremy and the Mario All Stars re-release. Of course the four games are amazing to this day, but is that the best Nintendo can do to celebrate 25 years of the most important console game of all time? A SNES rom? I'd love to have had some early prototyped version of Super Mario Bros to play, some commentary from the people behind the game on the disc would have been great. Maybe a code for a download to Super Mario Bros Deluxe to download onto the DSi?

The industry is always talking about how we don't have a Citizen Kane of gaming, but we do. Super Mario Bros is that game. Even if you don't like it, the game shaped the industry we all grew up with. Of course there are other landmark titles, Tetris, Elite, Space Invaders, Pong, Half Life, Deus Ex etc. It's annoying that so many games get forgotten as we progress with technology. I bought It's A Wonderful Life on Blu Ray today, with a host of extras that were not on my previous DVD. I have now owned that movie on VHS, DVD and now Blu Ray, the movie and music industry continue to provide ways of watching/listening to the classic despite technological advancements, yet gaming is unable to follow this. Nintendo tried with Virtual Console but so many licensing issues make it hard to get everything.

I must say I do love what Sony are doing with their HD Classic brand. Sure the games aren't exactly old, but being able to buy God of War I&II, The Sly Trilogy and soon ICO & Shadow of the Colossus on shop shelves, years after release is fantastic. I would like to see some bonus content, like developer interviews etc.

Anyway rant over, great show guys:D

Suzzopher

Another show:

It's a Games, Dammit! holiday miracle! We start out thinking that because we're recording early in a short week before heading out for the holidays, that we'd have a short show, but nope, we still fill your ears with nonsense for nearly two hours. Games-wise, we talk about Stacking and Back to the Future -- in addition to each cast member detailing his personal Game of the Year (and the one 2011 he's looking forward to). You also learn that Scooter has a frankly irrational association with the number 12. Besides that, we tackle listener questions about elevator action pitches, time travel paradoxes, whether a game can address a heady issue like the Holocaust, and what is worth a dollar nowadays. And just like your uncle who keeps on ranting long after he's no longer relevant to your conversation, we close out the year by reminiscing about our Ziff-Davis days for way too long. Happy holidays,and we'll be back in 2011!
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/GamesDammit/GD122310.mp3

It is still hard to listen to anything with the usually negative Matt Leone. I have listened to that last two episodes to hear Frank and Jeremy though...

Suzzopher

Tim Schafer is on this week:

What happens when one podcaster goes to CES, you have a new office with a podcast studio that lacks headphones, and you bring in guests from Double Fine? You get this Work-In-Progress-Sounding version of "Games, Dammit!" for the first week of 2011! Subbing in for Frank Cifaldi, we invited Tim Schafer (studio founder) and Lee Petty (project director) from Double Fine to sit and jabber with us. As a result, we have about an hour-and-a-half's hour of talk about games like Minotaur Rescue, Enslaved, Limbo, Dead Space 2, Heavy Rain, and, of course, Double Fine's Stacking. We also have Tim and Lee tackle questions about writing, the funniest thing that's happened to them, and CES memories. Unfortunately, as we recorded this without headphones (still setting up our new office space), we didn't know how our podcast actually sounded until post-production. So unfortunately, while you can get the essence of jokes about Weekend At Bernie's and how it relates to games, the definition of a "scotch nipple," or Lee's office antics at previous studios he's worked at, the reality is that sometimes, we all fade in and out of the podcast depending on how close we're leaning towards the microphone while talking. Oops. Our sincerest apologies for our un-optimal setup this week, enjoy what you can, and we'll have the podcast studio finalized and kinks ironed out for next week.
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/GamesDammit/GD010711.mp3

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Some of the audio is so bad in this podcast that it's nearly unlistenable.... :/

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I listen to every episode at work, don't have any problem with sound quality, may be it is because I am using headphone?

OT: what happened to Ray and ITT anyway?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Clearly this episode suffered from "new office-itis".

As for Ray, presumably he just got laid off like Sharkey a few weeks before him. UGO has been trimming staff apparently.

Suzzopher

kiunchbb said:
I listen to every episode at work, don't have any problem with sound quality, may be it is because I am using headphone?

OT: what happened to Ray and ITT anyway?

Ray was fired :(

Suzzopher

It's the return of the traditional Games, Dammit! crew! Since Frank Cifaldi rejoins Scooter, Matt, and Jeremy in the studio and we all talk about Fallout: New Vegas' Dead Money DLC, Swarm, our musings about CES and Nintendo World, and the PSP2 (along with its "feel-y nipples"). Questions-wise, we tackle topics such as handholding in games, horseriding in Red Dead Redemption versus sailing in Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, a special boardgame from Brenda Braithwaite, M-rated sports games, and way too many voicemails about Elevator Action. Frank gives a special shoutout to the excellent video series Chrontendo, and we even conduct a live conversation with special guest/Oddcast contributor BallsRog. Enjoy!
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/GamesDammit/GD011411.mp3

Another good episode this week.

Suzzopher

I know you don't care Gaf, but I will beat this drum until you listen Dammit!

It's Nintendo 3DS madness this week, as we get Jeremy to dish out a whole lotta details about the Nintendo 3DS event in New York City earlier this week. We also talk up rumors about a Walking Dead game, a pair of twos (Portal and Final Fantasy XIII), and Frank delivers his final thoughts on Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money. We go through even more Elevator Action calls, and answer questions about how we do list features, how to vote with your dollar, the fate of Daily 1Update, storytelling in games, and more. Oh yea, and we have a totally different "cold open" for this show -- so yes, Frank just rambling on in the beginning is what you're supposed to hear. And yes, we even talk about food for quite a while.

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/GamesDammit/GD012111.mp3

Suzzopher said:
I know you don't care Gaf, but I will beat this drum until you listen Dammit!

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/GamesDammit/GD012111.mp3

I know I'm going to inevitably sound like a dick, but I can't listen to any podcast Scooter is on--for an extended period of time, at least. While I think he's a good writer and I agree with his opinions much more often than not, I just can't take his voice for very long. To this day I'm mystified as to why they put someone with a speech impediment (slight and uncontrollable as it may be; this is not an attack against Scooter, just the decision to put him on podcasts) as the HOST of their "flagship" podcast.

I don't have the calm hands and medical know-how to be a surgeon, so I don't do it. So why, then, do some podcasts insist on having every staff member on their podcast at some point or another, even if their skills don't transfer well to off-the-cuff audio podcasts? Is it just some need to be all-inclusive? Do people get jealous of others' "e-fame" they garner from podcasting?

It's not just 1Up, BTW; multiple sites do this. Oh well, it's not like there isn't 100s of other podcasts to listen to.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Please ban people from attempting elevator action jokes.

Top Bottom