• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games, Dammit!

Goldmund

Maybe it'd get better again, if they cut the call-in section. That's the only thing I don't like. Reading the letters is fine, of course. I don't think there's an English expression for this, but I always experience »Fremdschämen«, when I listen to the recorded calls.

Goldmund said:
Maybe it'd get better again, if they cut the call-in section. That's the only thing I don't like. Reading the letters is fine, of course. I don't think there's an English expression for this, but I always experience »Fremdschämen«, when I listen to the recorded calls.

Today I learned there is a German term for vicarious embarrassment. This will get way more use from me than schadenfreude.

The latest Rebel FM reminded me that it has been just over 2 years since the big shake up at 1up.

I think I'll listen for old times sake, I haven't listen to this podcast since before the most recent re-launch / re-name

Two years, how time flys!

Jex

krae_man said:
Jeremy's disdain for the Elevator Action jokes is what makes it awesome.
I agree with his sentiment though. LEAVE IT BE.
Goldmund said:
Maybe it'd get better again, if they cut the call-in section.
I'd certainly appreciate it if they trim it down, and had a bit more focus.

Some of the most interesting stuff - e.g. the notion of videogame editing - completely overshadowed the content of the rest of the episode because it was far more interesting. Yet it came right towards the end (so it didn't really shadow what came before it...you know what I mean).

Goldmund

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Today I learned there is a German term for vicarious embarrassment. This will get way more use from me than schadenfreude.
»I remember that day, dear, I was vicariously embarrassed! You haven't laughed much since.« Hm. Feels odd. I prefer the German term.

Suzzopher

For this week, since Matt Leone is out in Japan, we invite Reviews Editor Justin Haywald to be his stand-in. Despite the one guy who saw and played with the Sony NGP not being present, we still manage to talk some thirty-odd minutes about Sony's new portable, and how it's a miracle that no one else had done a rear-facing touchpad before. Besides the NGP, other topics include: comic books we recommend, racial diversity in videogames, our memories of the Atari Lynx, more storytelling in games, the trouble with doors, and violence in games. Oh, and we finally declare the end of the Elevator Action joke, so don't leave any more messages on that topic. If you wanted one hour and forty minutes of lovable nonsense, this is the episode for you!
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/GamesDammit/GD012811.mp3

R.I.P. Elevator Action jokes.

Goldmund

Games said:
Special guest Tim Rogers fills in for Matt and Scooter as Frank and Jeremy run the show and try not to break anything. Tim brought cookies but don't worry: they're chewy, you don't have to hear us crunching. Topics include: which real-world cities have the best level design, the sad state of nothingbut.net, and videogames.
Right-click and save here.

I'm really looking forward to this one. I love Tim Rogers.

shawnlreed

POWERSPHERE said:
Is Scooter the guy with the hamburger mouth?

At first I was irritated you would label Scooter that way. But when I think about it, that description pretty much nails it.
Yes, Scooter is the guy with the hamburger mouth.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Wow, Scooter is a terrible host. His commentary is usually boring or dumb, and the rare times he actually guides the podcast, it tends to be in terrible directions (the Elevator Action thing was especially bad). At least he's enthusiastic and has a modicum of PC gaming knowledge.

Parish is great to listen to, as always.

Ryu

pNS8t.jpg

Used to be so much goodness in there... /salute 1up

pje122 said:
I haven't laughed this hard at a podcast in YEARS! Years, I tell you...

i think "activision hangs up on call of duty" may be the first and last time i ever laugh at a videogames podcast

Going by this thread, this Tim Rogers guy has some fans. I didn't know who he was until I listened to this, but this was just about the worst fucking thing I ever heard. He totally overtook the show with the same three goddamn jokes over and over and over again:

Joke 1: I am (ironically) awesome because I know person X.

Joke 2: thing x "is so awesome" (spoken in guttural voice")

Joke 3: the word "yeah" (in aforementioned guttural voice)

These aren't even fucking jokes. But he repeated one of them every goddamn 2 minutes. What a horrible narcissistic person that is so stupid that he thinks he is somehow charming. But what is worse is that the other guys egged him on. I hope for this guys sake this is simply a podcast persona not his daily habit because otherwise he will make everyone he ever met want to punch him in the fucking face.

I actually have really been enjoying this podcast since the name change. I like all the regulars well enough (even if I wish Scooter would learn to slow down and enunciate). But this was fucking awful.

GhaleonQ

EternalGamer said:
These aren't even fucking jokes. But he repeated one of them every goddamn 2 minutes.

The joke usually came after them. That's "stalling to improvise." No one who knows of him would argue against his hipster status, and he certainly spoke with ironic quotation marks for much of his podcasting time. That said, I'm not sure what the problem is. The guy's hilarious. "Yeah. I'm on my way. I'm on my way to come get some," works less well without his previous yes and-ing.

Goldmund

Resentment (»he seriously needs an editor!«/»he's everything that's wrong with gaming!«) betrays people's fear of doing what they always wanted to do themselves, the frustration that others get what rightfully should belong to them. Good writers consumed by day jobs, chores, wives and children. Just write, guys (and it's almost exclusively guys that criticize him), the Internet's big enough for both your and Tim Rogers' torrents of words. He's not out to fill the only post kept vacant for you, I promise.

As for his appearance on the show: no, I don't think he's always like this, and I think you can tell. He acts out of character many times, surrendering the veil of irony he hides behind. I think he's a very intelligent and very sentimental guy. I might be wrong.

Goldmund

Games said:
The Games, Dammit foursome are reunited now that Matt Leone and Scooter are back from Las Vegas. Topics for the week include follow-through from the Duke Nukem Titty City discussion, the Dead Island trailer that everyone else talks about, the Smithsonian's game exhibit (and how Frank and Scooter ended up being on the advisory board for a different museum), the fame of Felicia Day, Double Fine's Once Upon A Monster, and the non-development of Mirror's Edge 2. Then we tackle questions about the review process, whether we want to truly see Mass Effect's Tali unmasked, and what sci-fi books would make good adventure games. Also, we briefly break an embargo, but rather than delete the conversation altogether, we edited it to feature dinosaurs in its place. Enjoy until next week!
Right-click and save here.

Short episode.

Suzzopher

With Scooter showing the downside of having children and shivering under the covers like a tired soup-craving old man, Frank takes the reins with guest Tina Sanchez to talk about Microsoft's pre-GDC press event featuring such games as Batman: Arkham City, Child of Eden, The Gunstringer, and Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster. Then we cover the Battlefield and Skyrim trailers, and think all the way back to last week when we saw Telltale's Jurassic Park. Then Frank talks about sandwiches.
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://podcast.the1upnetwork.com/flat/GamesDammit/GD022711.mp3

Not the best episode, but Frank seems like a natural host.

Massa

mrpeabody said:
Is there an RSS link so I can subscribe? The site only has a button for itunes.

I'd like to know this as well.

And since I'm bumping, might as well post the latest episode:

With Jeremy out working on our big Nintendo 3DS scorecard, we rope in 1UP community manager Tina Sanchez as our Jeremy-for-the-week. We chat about the upcoming 3DS launch and some of its games, the GBA's anniversary, and Resident Evil's anniversary. Other game-talk include Duke Nukem, Crank the Weasel, and the next David Cage game. Questions-wise, we talk about gaming-related injuries, Catherine coming to the U.S., and some book recommendations. Oh yea, and we call this the "Sworcery-cast" because we get Matt Leone to talk about how Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP.

Download

Roarer

So what's up the RSS feed for the show? Actually, checking it as I type this, I can't access 1up.com at all. Anyone else?

Goldmund

New episode, right on time, Friday night.

Games said:
Besides talking a bit more about the PSN outage, we hit games like Starhawk, Dragon Quest Anniversary, Soulcalibur V, Dark Souls, Ocarina of Time 3D, Dark Souls, and even Cars 2. Questions-wise, we answer voicemails about PSN and game updates, our own weird retail experiences, and get further digressed with Ranma 1/2 and chicken paprikash. Then we tackle some text questions about mute protagonists in FPS games, the nature of open-world games, games we wanted to play but couldn't, and game trades.

Right-click and save mp3.

Massa

I pretty much stopped listening to this when I uninstalled Mac OS from my Mac, really wish they'd put up an RSS feed (yes I'm lazy).

Suzzopher

Good episode this week.

Although Team Soho were named after Soho in London, the original Soho, where the team were based. And Team Bondi may be in reference to Bondi Beach in Australia?

Top Bottom