• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Journalism! Wainwright/Florence/Tomb Raider/Eurogamer/Libel Threats/Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.

unbias

Certainly. Alex is at least having a rational discussion about it. Casey on the other hand is advocating ignoring valid criticism because it came at the same time as some bullshit criticism.

And I'm getting real sick of being lumped in with the minority pieces of shit that do this horrible stuff. Stop saying that's the 'gaming community.' Jesus Christ.

I'm more inclined to disagree with this. If Alex wanted a rational discussion he wouldnt be doing it on twitter.

Certainly. Alex is at least having a rational discussion about it. Casey on the other hand is advocating ignoring valid criticism because it came at the same time as some bullshit criticism.

And I'm getting real sick of being lumped in with the minority pieces of shit that do this horrible stuff. Stop saying that's the 'gaming community.' Jesus Christ.

If they can rationalize that the concerns about ethics are from a bunch of trolls, they can justify ignoring it and continuing the status quo. The tactic is quite blatant and dishonest.

i wonder how kotaku feels about being told that they are supporting white cisgendered sexists for trying to have some "journalistic" hindsight and what is an expected standard in other mediums.

some of the tweets i am reading are some kind of mental gymnastics show.

EDIT: Some words.

https://twitter.com/ank_wobl/status/504418984306159616

and some pictures! smile kotaku, you are famous!

9xohzKK.png

Empty

Joystiq already ad such policies and they are nigh universal for most mainstream media outlets.

acknowledged. i didn't know that.

yeah. i'm not very fond of a lot of the loudest voices on twitter. i'm really left wing and pro social justice ideas but i can't stand the way it's become two political camps faced off against eachother, and a culture has developed where you should just smear anyone who doesn't always toe the party line and where acknowledging any critique is somehow giving in to the enemy. it's so insular and toxic.

Nanashrew

Banned
I'm more inclined to disagree with this. If Alex wanted a rational discussion he wouldnt be doing it on twitter.

That doesn't seem entirely fair. I've somehow managed to get some rational discussions in a lot of random places before I joined GAF. Still do from time to time. Had one even on Youtube before. Matters on how you approach the conversation and not dropping to a level of anger/spite or rising to a level of superiority. Talking as you would in real life or even here on GAF, which is what I do.

--------------------------------------------

On topic. The mental gymnastics of calling Kotaku mysognist and neckbeards is a weird thing to say, especially after years of praise and ridicule on anything social justice. SJW being the common thing to call Kotaku and a site often avoided by the MRA because of these things.

unbias

That doesn't seem entirely fair. I've somehow managed to get some rational discussions in a lot of random places before I joined GAF. Still do from time to time. Had one even on Youtube before. Matters on how you approach the conversation and not dropping to a level of anger/spite or rising to a level of superiority. Talking as you would in real life or even here on GAF, which is what I do.

I dunno, I'm not sure how good of a discussion you can have when you are limited to 140 and people and interupt the flow at every turn because you have to scroll through crap. While it is possible... intentionally having a debate on twitter, to me, is not someone looking for an honest and/or clear discussion about the issue. Otherwise, why would you choose twitter to call people out and debate?

The Idle Thumbs podcast has a very good discussion of the recent journalism corruption accusations and associated internet shitfling fight that is very well expressed and well worth a listen for anybody. It's at the start of the most recent episode and it's definitely worth listening to at least the first segment of the podcast.

and the rest because Idle Thumbs is the best podcast ever

Nanashrew

Banned
I dunno, I'm not sure how good of a discussion you can have when you are limited to 140 and people and interupt the flow at every turn because you have to scroll through crap. While it is possible... intentionally having a debate on twitter, to me, is not someone looking for an honest and/or clear discussion about the issue. Otherwise, why would you choose twitter to call people out and debate?

It's definitely possible. You have to filter some out and possibly get to them later unless it's a repeat question or statement. If it's a repeat just redirect to your previous tweet or give out a general statement to clarify if there are far too many messaging you. Twitlonger is also a good tool for any extended thoughts without dragging it out at 140 characters at a time. That's how I operate. (though sometimes I do forget about Twitlonger and just go on a really long stream of thought because of my ADHD).

Of course there are better alternatives to Twitter when having discussions, I've just learned how to utilize what I have.

Dugna

The Idle Thumbs podcast has a very good discussion of the recent journalism corruption accusations and associated internet shitfling fight that is very well expressed and well worth a listen for anybody. It's at the start of the most recent episode and it's definitely worth listening to at least the first segment of the podcast.

and the rest because Idle Thumbs is the best podcast ever

Then these guys need to actually look at proof and how "SJW" that everyone is talking about are even using so much Mental Gymnastics as to blame KOTAKU of supporting "white cis male scum" freaking kotaku of all places.

unbias

It's definitely possible. You have to filter some out and possibly get to them later unless it's a repeat question or statement. If it's a repeat just redirect to your previous tweet or give out a general statement to clarify if there are far too many messaging you. Twitlonger is also a good tool for any extended thoughts without dragging it out at 140 characters at a time. That's how I operate. (though sometimes I do forget about Twitlonger and just go on a really long stream of thought because of my ADHD).

Of course there are better alternatives to Twitter when having discussions, I've just learned how to utilize what I have.

Eh, I just think it is a lazy way to make a point and I do think it protects you, to a degree, in actually getting your opinion dissected. I dont think people subconsciously accidentally pick the forms of communication that they choose. I think they pick twitter for a reason, and that reason is debates are normally a hell of a lot more superficial. Can you have a decent conversation? Sure. Should you be having a debate on ethical policies on twitter? I'm going to side with no.

JABEE

It's strange how there is an eagerness among the press to set up those with a dissenting opinion as part of an ignorant mob that abuses women on the internet. It's almost as if these vile people are needed to justify members of the press making contributions to KS and Patreon.

It's better to try to make a policy that addresses a real issue than to sit on your hands and make no policy as you argue online patting your former development colleagues on the back while serving as a member of the gaming press. It's extremely strange that this is what normal is in the gaming press.

What Polygon and to a larger extent what Kotaku is doing is considered bad? The gaming press has lost the plot a long time ago. They were brought up and nurtured in a professional community with no ethics policies, incentivized to get cozy with PR and developers.

Many members of the press want to feel like they're in "the band." They don't want to be "uncool."

Nanashrew

Banned
Eh, I just think it is a lazy way to make a point and I do think it protects you, to a degree, in actually getting your opinion dissected. I dont think people subconsciously accidentally pick the forms of communication that they choose. I think they pick twitter for a reason, and that reason is debates are normally a hell of a lot more superficial. Can you have a decent conversation? Sure. Should you be having a debate on ethical policies on twitter? I'm going to side with no.

I agree with that last part. The talk of ethics and journalism over Twitter right now is spiraling all over the place that it has made it hard for some to even understand what is even going on or even form an opinion. This stuff really needs to be discussed in a more private area to get the proper communication across, maybe even write more articles, I dunno. I haven't been able to keep up with much of it myself. I thought I did, I thought I was, then suddenly I just don't even know. Twitter can be both good and bad like this. Good, it helped to bring everything that was happening in Ferguson to the forefront of things and piercing through all of Twitter so small voices could be heard. The bad, well, what's happening now with spiraling confusion piercing all over Twitter.

unbias

It's strange how there is an eagerness among the press to set up dissenting opinions as part of an ignorant mob that abuses women on the internet. It's almost as if that is needed to justify members of the press to make contributions to KS and Patreon.

It's better to try to make a policy that addresses a real issue than to sit on your hands and make no policy as you argue online patting your former development colleagues on the back while serving as a member of the gaming press. It's extremely strange that this is what normal is in the gaming press.

What Polygon and to a larger extent what Kotaku is doing is considered bad? The gaming press has lost the plot a long time ago. They were brought up and nurtured in a professional community with no ethics policies, incentivized to get cozy with PR and developers.

Many members of the press want to feel like they're in "the band." They don't want to be "uncool."

Ironically(maybe?) it shows how pervasive even vocally advocating for something can remove all possible objectivity. If people don't think investments into personalities or companies doesn't result in aggressive behavior and near conflicting behavior patterns look no further then twitter. When you get emotionally and financially invested in something the ugly can come out, where it is clearly coming out, essentially calling people every name they can think of that sticks because they disagree. Or "grow the fuck up" as an argument. I mean really, the "leaders" in this industry are entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

Dugna

It's strange how there is an eagerness among the press to set up those with a dissenting opinion as part of an ignorant mob that abuses women on the internet. It's almost as if these vile people are needed to justify members of the press making contributions to KS and Patreon.

Seriously this is seriously what these people are accusing Kotaku of now.

JABEE

Seriously this is seriously what these people are accusing Kotaku of now.
That's the sad thing.

They're bloggers, not journalists.

What does this say about the ethics of bloggers? It's easier to lower your ethical standards when it's convenient. I'm happy Kotaku is at least addressing this stuff.

JackDT

I'm thinking about quitting my job and living off my investments. With all the Kickstarters and Patreons I've been backing I should have some good returns.

Averon

When you try to upset the status quo, you naturally get push back. The fact that these people think Kotaku and Polygon being more transparent deserves passive aggressive, salty as fuck Twitter ramblings is pathetic.

It's better to imagine everyone advocating more transparency in game journalism as racist, misogynistic trolls. It makes it much easier to ignore concerns and continuing as they did before.

zhorkat

Are they considering what Polygon has done to be bad?

I'm sure I'm never visiting Kotaku again! As game devs are lining up to support Anita and disassociate themselves from MRA trolls, ] you guys let them dictate policy. Patreon is the problem, not banner ads paid for by the products you cover? Fucking LOL.

i mean how do you even respond to this

Yes, there are some people who are mad that both Kotaku and Polygon listened to the bigots.

Even within Polygon there was a backlash.

But you're still allowed to give money if you're at Polygon, right? The only thing that they changed is that they added something to their profiles where you can include who you may be giving money to. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

JABEE

But you're still allowed to give money if you're at Polygon, right? The only thing that they changed is that they added something to their profiles where you can include who you may be giving money to. I don't see how that's a bad thing.
The argument is that making a change in reaction to "harassers" and "goons" is bad.

Kotaku says they are reacting to legitimate criticisms of their previous ethics policy.

JABEE

The argument is that singling out Patreon is bad.
You're right. There are multiple arguments. Some think that singling out Patreon is bad, because they are the smallest, often-times minority, and are in the most need of funding.

I would say all crowd-funding should be off-limits for journalists. I give Kotaku credit for taking a step in the right direction while other outlets are very laissez faire about journalists funding and backing game creators.

APF

I think people should make their own decisions wrt things like kickstarter and patreon and whether they think it crosses a line for them, particularly if they have to cover that project in an "objective" fashion, but to ban it outright seems unnecessary and even counter-productive when you realize that for some interesting and newsworthy projects one may only be able to get a copy (think hardware as well as software) through being a backer. With things like early access and other sorts of non-conventional release schedules and procedures, it seems to me that hard bans on "contributory" payments will quickly become anachronistic and unable to keep up with the reality of gamers and fans getting copies before the press itself. IMO the real solution is full disclosure, so that readers / viewers are allowed to be fully informed of the potential biases and conflicts that they may or may not care about while evaluating related content.

unbias

I'm sure I'm never visiting Kotaku again! As game devs are lining up to support Anita and disassociate themselves from MRA trolls, you guys let them dictate policy. Patreon is the problem, not banner ads paid for by the products you cover? Fucking LOL.

http://www.collegebizjournalism.org/node/5

http://www.americanbusinessmedia.com/images/abm/pdfs/committees/EdEthics.pdf

I'd suggest reading up on this stuff.

II-1 Conflicts of Interest
a. Editors should not invest in companies and/or industries they personally cover
(this does not preclude investments in mutual funds, pensions or 401(k) plans that
hold shares in a manner not directly controlled by the editor). Their spouses and
other immediate family members should also avoid personal investments that
might reflect unfavorably upon the editor. Investing on the basis of "insider
information" is, of course, a violation of securities laws.
I'd say making sure your writers do not give invest money in projects is kind of important.

II-5. Relationship with Advertisers
a. Selection of editorial topics, treatment of issues, interpretation and other
editorial decisions must not be determined by advertisers, advertising agencies or
the advertising departments of publications.
b. Editors must never permit advertisers to review articles prior to publication.
c. Advertisers and potential advertisers must never receive favorable editorial treatment because of their economic value to the publication. Similarly, non-advertisers should not receive unfavorable editorial treatment or be excluded from articles because they do not advertise. This provision applies not only to stories
and articles but to all products of the editorial group, including lists, rankings,
product or company of the year awards and other such special features and events.
d. Editors must have the right to review, prior to publication, all sponsored
content and other advertiser-supplied content.

II-6 Separation of Advertising and Editorial
a. Editors must make a clear distinction between editorial and advertising. Editors
have an obligation to readers to make clear which content has been paid for,
which is sponsored and which is independent editorial material. All paid content
that may be confused with independent editorial material must be labeled as
advertiser-sponsored.
b. With respect to special advertising supplements or advertorials: The words
advertising, advertisement, special advertising supplement or similar labeling
must appear horizontally at or near the center of the top of every page of such
sections containing text, in type at least equal in size and weight to the
publication’s standard body typeface [adapted from American Society of
Magazine Editors Editorial Guidelines, Nov. 2004].
c. The layout, design, typeface and style of special advertising sections or custom
publishing products must be distinctly different from those of the publication
[adapted from ASME, Nov. 2004].
d. Special advertising sections must not be slugged in the publication’s cover
(including stickers) nor included in the table of contents. In general, the publication’s name or logo may not appear as any part of the headlines or text of
such sections, except in connection with the magazine’s own products or services
[adapted from ASME Nov. 2004].
e. Editorial staff members and freelancers used by editorial should not participate
in the preparation of custom publishing or advertising sections, except that the
chief editor may review contents of such sections before they appear.

III Editorial Code of Ethics and Guide to Preferred Practices for Electronic Media
November 2004
Credibility is the key to the success of digital media offerings, just as it is for print
publications; users must trust the advice and information presented. In order to build and
maintain that trust, the distinction between independent editorial content and paid
promotional information must remain clear. American Business Media believes it is
possible to keep that clear distinction while still taking advantage of linking and other
technologies that make digital media the unique and robust experience it has come to be
for the user.
With that goal in mind, ABM recommends the following standards, adapted from those
of the American Society of Magazine Editors for the express needs of business media:
a. The publication's Web site should display the publication's name and logo
prominently, in order to clarify who controls the content of the site. All editorial
content must be under the sole control of the editorial staff.
b. All online pages must clearly distinguish between editorial and advertising or
sponsored content. Non-editorial must be clearly labeled. The publication's name
or logo should not be used in any way that suggests editorial endorsement of an
advertiser. The site's sponsorship policies must be clearly noted, either in text
accompanying the article or on a disclosure page to clarify that the sponsor had no
input regarding the content.
c. Hypertext links that appear within the editorial content of a site, including those
within graphics, must be solely at the discretion of the editors. Links within
editorial should never be paid for by advertisers.
d. Special advertising or "advertorial" features should conform to the same
guidelines in section II that apply to print.
e. Special advertising sections or features must be displayed in such a way that
users will not confuse them with editorial content.
f. To protect the brand, editors/producers should not permit their content to be
used on an advertiser's site without an explanation of the relationship (e.g.
"Reprinted with permission").

As long as they are following these rules, advertisements are not an issue.

unbias

So condescending regarding a definition of "investing" that has little relation to its common usage.

That's bullcrap. Outside of gaming, you would not be able to fund a project from happening in the industry you cover, no matter how small. Funding projects(that wouldnt exist without said funding) is a form of investment. Beyond that it's a hell of a lot closer to investment then it is pre-ordering, now THAT is deceiving. It's the equivalent of donating to your political party, at the very minimum.

looking at it from a big 3rd party aspect.

"hold on, these gaming websites get a cookie-points telling their readers, our buyers, how much they avoid us greasing their wallets for a few more point on the grading scale, yet they do it for free for their indie game developer twitter friends that they are paying the rent of?"

i'm sure gawker is very interested in the situation.

maybe that's a bigger motive?

JackDT

That's bullcrap. Outside of gaming, you would not be able to fund a project from happening in the industry you cover, no matter how small. Funding projects(that wouldnt exist without said funding) is a form of investment. Beyond that it's a hell of a lot closer to investment then it is pre-ordering, now THAT is deceiving. It's the equivalent of donating to your political party, at the very minimum.

I can "invest" in a kickstarter to get access to the game to write about it, or I get a free preview copy of the game from the developers. I don't understand why people think the second scenario is the one more likely to have honest impressions of the game.

jschreier

I'm sure I'm never visiting Kotaku again! As game devs are lining up to support Anita and disassociate themselves from MRA trolls, you guys let them dictate policy. Patreon is the problem, not banner ads paid for by the products you cover? Fucking LOL.
If you think that Kotaku does not support inclusivity or cover progressive issues in gaming, then clearly you never visited Kotaku in the first place, so your lack of readership won't really do much, sorry to say.

Jintor

Then these guys need to actually look at proof and how "SJW" that everyone is talking about are even using so much Mental Gymnastics as to blame KOTAKU of supporting "white cis male scum" freaking kotaku of all places.

Uh, what? I can't parse this sentence

FoneBone

I can "invest" in a kickstarter to get access to the game to write about it, or I get a free preview copy of the game from the developers. I don't understand why people think the second scenario is the one more likely to have honest impressions of the game.

Getting free games? Fine.
Getting free booze at events? Fine.
Being socially chummy with developers? Fine.

Giving a dev whose games you like $10 a month? GET OUT THE PITCHFORKS, YOU'RE TOO CLOSE TO THE DEVELOPERS.

Joke post? I seriously can't tell anymore.

unbias

If only certain companies gave review copies, then it would be an issue, but since everyone does it I'm not sure how they would favor one over the other? And if another company doesn't give them review copy because of previous negative coverage I would hope they would be screaming it from the mountain tops.

The ethical guidelines I would think should be clear for product reviews, you do not take work materials home for personal use(review copies). If they dont follow this, you probably should be careful with them.

Maybe you should read this thread if you dont think people have serious issues with a lot of this.

Deitus

Giving a dev whose games you like $10 a month? GET OUT THE PITCHFORKS, YOU'RE TOO CLOSE TO THE DEVELOPERS.

Who said any of the above things are fine?

Actually, scratch that, the free games thing is really a poor argument. If it's your job to write about games, then any (reasonable) game purchases you would need to make to perform your job would be business expenses, and would be paid for by your employer. Maybe having to pay for every game might make a small dent in Kotaku's bottom line, but it was have absolutely zero impact on the writers themselves. I guess for independent writers it would be more of an issue, and there are a number of reasons why they might be susceptible to being swayed by game publishers.

The rest is absolutely problematic, and are a large part of why this thread exists. But you going "we shouldn't care about this one thing, because there are other issues" is a total red herring.

APF

That's bullcrap. Outside of gaming, you would not be able to fund a project from happening in the industry you cover, no matter how small.
With kickstarter, this is changing. You will find tech journalists funding tech hardware kickstarters, entertainment commentators funding entertainment projects, etc. This in particular is becoming an unsustainable idea to banish wholesale.

JackDT

Who said any of the above things are fine?

Actually, scratch that, the free games thing is really a poor argument. If it's your job to write about games, then any (reasonable) game purchases you would need to make to perform your job would be business expenses, and would be paid for by your employer. Maybe having to pay for every game might make a small dent in Kotaku's bottom line, but it was have absolutely zero impact on the writers themselves. I guess for independent writers it would be more of an issue, and there are a number of reasons why they might be susceptible to being swayed by game publishers.

The rest is absolutely problematic, and are a large part of why this thread exists. But you going "we shouldn't care about this one thing, because there are other issues" is a total red herring.

A policy that prohibited writers from writing about games or hardware they purchased themselves would be consistent, at least, and would be better than singling out Patreon. I would be okay with this.

unbias

With kickstarter, this is changing. You will find tech journalists funding tech hardware kickstarters, entertainment commentators funding entertainment projects, etc. This in particular is becoming an unsustainable idea to banish wholesale.

The 2 industry you mentioned has a lot of bad stuff happening in them. There is a lot of conflict of interest in those industry.

See, this is a good point, funnily enough the only good point the dissenters have. I maintain that developers and journalists are, on the whole, too close as it is, and removing or disclosing Patreon connections and their connotations is only one step to solving the problem. In fact, I hope Jason and/or Stephen are reading, because I want to communicate that although it's a very good start to finally addressing this, there is definitely more work to be done.

But I also want to congratulate and thank the two, because they seem among the few journalists who have picked up a media law textbook in their lives and know what financial support entails when it comes to story coverage. Most every other chucklefuck, and I know this is harsh but this is so goddamn true, comes from an indie developer background, so they feel like they're being slighted in light of this, when the fact is that a press member should only get as involved as is necessary for them to do their job, and a continuous stream of donations, however small, is not a part of that. This is taught from your first lecture and is only echoed from there.

APF

The 2 industry you mentioned has a lot of bad stuff happening in them. There is a lot of conflict of interest in those industry.

If you say so, but per your point they are examples of industries' enthusiast press in which finding of kickstarters will occur.

unbias

A policy that prohibited writers from writing about games or hardware they purchased themselves would be consistent, at least, and would be better than singling out Patreon. I would be okay with this.

Hey, I've been arguing they need to include kickstarter(and other similar things, anything that funds a project that would not exist without your funding) this the whole time.

This in particular is becoming an unsustainable idea to banish wholesale.

I dont think it is unsustainable, I dont think it is as pervasive as imagined. I also dont think(at least in the tech field) it is as pervasive with reporting journalists as it is with simple bloggers. On the other hand, I do agree to a point, it does seem that there is a growing segment of people who dont care about conflict of interests as long as their interests are served, more specifically on the internet is it more pervasive, I thinking it is because it is much easier to find like minded people.

If you say so, but per your point they are examples of industries' enthusiast press in which finding of kickstarters will occur.

I clarified the scope of people who I think need to follow this

but if you want to be able to claim you are a reporting/journalist website, you should not be involved with investments.

And I do think that it is followed by most who claim it to be journalists and reporters(not simply op-ed writers). Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but I think it holds true. I dont care if a website not doing extensive coverage on something gives to these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom