• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that acknowledge your Birthday?

I can't recall every receiving a birthday message or acknowledgment when playing a videogame on my birthday. I know they exist and some are probably more memorable than others, but by chance I've yet to be greeted by one.

So I'm looking for examples, old and new, and whether developers were at all creative with them?

L~A

Another Code (Trace Memory). Ashley's birthday is the same date as the one you entered in your Nintendo DS.

woopWOOP

In the 3DS Pokemon games the nurse will congratulate you when you enter a Pokemon Center

In Animal Crossing New Leaf the villagers organize a birthday a party at your place... I think? Or another villager's. Either way there's a bigass cake waiting for you.

In Miitomo the other denizens will sing happy birthday for your 'you' character

Pretty sure that in Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates there's some event for your custom 'My Unit' too. There's one for all the other units' birthdays atleast.

Ruruja

In FIFA the commentator mentions how you're playing on your birthday in Pro Clubs mode (where you create and control 1 player online).

Rookhelm

See I thought MGS2 had something, but I wasn't sure if I was just thinking of name and d.o.b appearing on dog tags at the end of the game.

I think a happy birthday message appears on one of the main menus?

I forget exactly how it appears, but I know you can force it when you create a new game and put in whatever today's date is as your birthday, it will say it then too.

Betty

Banned
I think a happy birthday message appears on one of the main menus?

I forget exactly how it appears, but I know you can force it when you create a new game and put in whatever today's date is as your birthday, it will say it then too.

You get a small digital birthday cake in the Node name entry screen.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any other than Animal Crossing. If I recall correctly you kind of have to play on that "day" since there are special birthday items, but it's been more than 5 years since I've played an Animal Crossing game on my birthday so I'm sure a wiki would quickly confirm or deny that.

The 3DS Fire Emblems give you some bonuses and items on your birthday. It is advantageous to set your birthday as the day you begin your campaign to receive them. Not really in the spirit of the celebrating your actual birthday, but that's what I think most players do in this case.

adj_noun

I wish Calendar Man had. That woulda been sweet. Though I guess players with birthdays on holidays would have either gotten screwed or had to go in twice or something.

Final Fantasy Tactics lets you input a birthday for Ramza and basically all of the damage and accuracy equations for the rest of the game are seriously affected by his zodiac sign, to the point that some birthdays give you drastically harder playthrough than others.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The Mario and Luigi series had an item that would be stronger if you used it on your birthday.

The Nintendo DS played a little jingle on startup for your birthday.

As did the Wii U when you booted it up, I wonder if the Switch will have something like that.

True Fire

Who remembers this piece of shit game

eGlkdGo3MTI=_o_the-3rd-birthday---the-4th-birthday-secret-endingengpsp.jpg

if you play the game on your 4th birthday it technically acknowledges your birthday lol

BigEmil

Don't you have to input your birth date in that game for this to work?

I imagine alot of games don't need your birth date as it's not part of the game at all so if this was a system wide feature I imagine alot more games would do this

Top Bottom