• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that force the player to go outside, aka "outside videogame"

Putosaure

As summer approaches, and the sun shows up more often, I recalled to my memories a good game from my late childhood : Boktai.

Boktai_cover_art.jpg

For those who don't know this game series, it's an experimental take on the infiltration gendra, by our good man Hideo Kojima. It's composed of three games on Game Boy Advance, and one on Nintendo DS (Spiral Knights).
So the hero of the original episode is called Django, and has to chase Undeads from his homeland. How ? The cartridge includes a light sensor that measures the exposure to UV/solar light.
When you are playing in direct sunlight, you can charge your weapons and Undead enemies gets weaker. The cartridge also has an internal clock, which make it really hard to play at night, even if you gathered enough solar energy in your weapons battery.

I thought it was a really cool concept which really shined *cough* and forced players to step outside to get stronger.
There were some issues though : when you play in direct sunlight, you have to protect yourself because you can get hot really fast. Plus, I had a silver GBA which in direct sunlight just act like a fuckin mirror, so it's kinda hard to play.

I was wondering, what other games force you to go out and move ?

I already thought about a few entries :

Streetpass Games / Nintendo 3DS
When you keep your Nintendo 3DS on Sleep Mode, you activate StreetPass, and collect coins for every 10 steps or so that you make. The coins earned that way can be used in various StreetPass games to unlock stuff, plus you can use it in a whole bunch of games to unlock collectibles too (Smash Bros. comes to my mind). It's a nice way to engage players in walk exercise.

3ds_playcoins.jpg
nMyFg75.jpg

Ingress / Mobile
Gather with other players to capture spots in real life. The game uses your phone position and tracks you, indicate spots to capture in the real world. I only played a few days but it seemed really interesting at keeping you outside to help your team to get as many points as possible.

Zombie Run / Mobile (or clones)
I played this a long time ago when the smartphone hype started. The game uses your location and you have to reach a goal like one kilometer away from your position, avoiding every zombie icon that shows on the map. You really have to move fast and I found this game really dangerous to play in city streets because you don't pay attention to traffic anymore. But it's good for your running skills !

So GAF, do you know other "outdoor" videogames ? Do you like them ?
Not just games that you can play outside, but games that are enhanced by the fact that you are outdoor.

(first thread, please be kind, or lock me outside if already discussed)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Ingress is kinda fun, in a not actually fun way. I play it every now and then, just can't be bothered to put up with the whole talk-to-random-strangers-about-it business. Maybe I'm missing out but eh.

MGS Peace Walker also had a mechanic that doesn't force, but compels players to go outside scouring for wifi hotspots, as a recruitment mechanic for soldiers.

GeeTeeCee

Fun fact: playing Boktai in the north of England is basically like playing hard mode. The sun was never around when I needed it.

As someone who lives in a city and attends university, I reaaallly love streepass. I hope nintendo expands on the idea for the next handheld (maybe expand the range and functionality a bit).

Circinus

Uncharted: Golden Abyss (when you have to hold the PS Vita it towards a bright light source) :p (yes, a lamp also works)

Top Bottom