• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that had a resurgence for you

bati

Not really a genre, but AA tier has been making a comeback in the last few years, mostly thanks to crowdfunding. Games like the Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Expeditions: Conquistador (and Vikings), Cities: Skylines, Crusader Kings II, etc. Not much flash or bloat but plenty of substance. Lots of indie games (rpgs or strategy games specifically) over the last few years have also grown far beyond what the initial flood of Audio surf clones and other indies with the complexity of your average flash games offered, and could be considered AA.

This segment of the market gave us some of the best RPGs and strategy games I've played in the last 10+ years so I'm thankful for that.

Last edited:

Oddspeak

They're not that old, but Yakuza.

Played 3, 4, and a tiny bit of Dead Souls back in 2013. Loved them (3 and 4, at least), and was excited about 5, but sort of passed it by.

Then October 2016 rolls around, and I decided to play 3 again, expecting to only play a couple hours, but I played through the entirety of it, then moved on to 4 again, and restarted (and actually finished) Dead Souls, then immediately bought Yakuza 5. It completely revitalized and amplified my love for the series. It was an extremely good week for me. Then a few months later, Yakuza 0 came out and is my GOTY 2017.

Now I can say with absolute certainty that Yakuza is my favorite series at the moment. Going back to replay games, even if they're not that old, can really change your perspective on them.

Top Bottom