• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Resurgence |OT| Where No Man Has Gone Before... The Epic Games Store

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
fA7KKLZ.png

This adventure game takes place after the Star Trek: The Next Generation events. Together with Officer Jara Rydek and Private Carter Diaz, you will try to unravel the sinister mystery of two civilizations on the brink of war.

Created by Dramatic Labs, a collaboration of 20+ former Telltale writers, developers, designers, artists, and producers. Star Trek™ Resurgence is being developed and published independently in partnership with Epic Games; under license from Paramount.

Videos

Screenshots

Resurgence-4.jpg

Resurgence-2.jpg

8YrCGMDW6YUPVN5ZQZom6n-970-80.jpg.webp

k2Uh3JvbhLJocS4ZjqCh8B-970-80.jpg

Reviews

leINGdy.png

Purchase

$39.99

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
First impressions from the PC version - it's kind of a technical mess. The game doesn't support ultrawide (which is fine, I suppose) but putting it in 1920x1080 (highest it supports) then stretches the game out across the whole screen instead of giving black bars at the sides, which looks terrible.

Trying to decide if I should try out their self-refund portal, or just live with playing this in windowed mode.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'll pick this up on PS5. I usually don't play games like this but hell, I'll take any Star Trek game that I can get. We don't get too many of those anyway. At least this one looks like decent enough time, unlike that 2013 shooter that sucked.

Bought this for PC as a fan of Star Trek as the trailer looked intriguing. Sadly, I only played a few minutes before I exited the game to return to it later.

Why?

Because, while the game itself seems potentially fine after a reasonably convincing Star Trek-like intro cinematic and the graphics look pretty decent, it has no graphics options other than Resolution and a Fullscreen toggle. The Resolution option maxes out at 1920x1440 so there's no support for 2560x1440 or even 4K, at least on my system, and to make things worse the game's framerate is capped at 30 fps, completely with bad frame-pacing. I have tweeted the developers and they promise they are looking into fixing the issues but it is unbelievable that the game shipped without at least the basic Unreal Engine 4 options that you see in even the most barebones PC versions. Once I can play it at 1440p instead of 1080p and at 60 fps then I'll pick it up again.

Not sure if the PS5 and Xbox Series X versions are only running at 1080p and 30 fps but based on the PC version I'd say that it is more than likely they are as it looks like the PC version is based on the same code.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I've gotten a few hours into it but I've stopped for now. It really does feel like playing through episodes of the show, there are good variety of things but it's a typical QTE Telltale-style game, with very light action sequences here and there. You'd play a game like this for the story and the Star Trek experience, and in those cases I think it delivers.

Still though it's mind boggling that there are no graphics options for PC and it's capped at 30fps / 1080p. It's another UE4 game where they are locking the config file inside a pak, so editing the .ini in appdata has no effect - it's not read by the game. So you don't even have the option of tweaking the game yourself without using injectors or mods. Apparently they are readying a patch but it's just ... come on guys. Yet another frickin game released this year with technical issues that the developer no doubt knew existed, and still launched. My recommendation is don't buy until a patch comes in - and I say that actually liking the game itself.

Last edited:

jshackles

the graphics look pretty decent, it has no graphics options other than Resolution and a Fullscreen toggle. The Resolution option maxes out at 1920x1440 so there's no support for 2560x1440 or even 4K, at least on my system, and to make things worse the game's framerate is capped at 30 fps, completely with bad frame-pacing. I have tweeted the developers and they promise they are looking into fixing the issues but it is unbelievable that the game shipped without at least the basic Unreal Engine 4 options that you see in even the most barebones PC versions. Once I can play it at 1440p instead of 1080p and at 60 fps then I'll pick it up again.
Even more baffling is that this was in full partnership with Epic Games, I think they even published it on the other platforms? I'm absolutely certain that Epic's "fuck you money" given to the developers in exchange for platform exclusivity on PC was the capstone in them buying the Trek license from Paramount.

So - why go through all that trouble just to release the game in this state? It's been nearly 2 years since this was announced - surely they had time to add some basic PC options. At the very least, let me play the game in fullscreen/1080p on my 3440x1440 monitor without stretching it into a bizarre aspect ratio.

But I agree, there is absolutely no reason this should be capped at 30fps or 1080p.

Gorgon

Thanks for the OT, OP. Was waiting for this one.

I'm gonna buy it on PS5 eventually but I'm waiting for the patches and a price drop. I doubt it has the problems you guys on PC are seeing with the video options, although it also only runs at 30 fps iirc.

I'm happy to finally see a decent Star Trek game, just like the recently announced The Expanse series from Telltale. I'd love to see a fully fledged AAA RPG game series for both but this is as good as it will ever be. I'll have to live with the stupid QTEs, crappy filler minigames, and timed dialogue systems, but the rest seems to be OK. It also seems to run for about 9-12 hours, so that's pretty decent. It will probably be good enough to scratch that Star Trek itch.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Strangely there’s no PS5 version. It’s just PS4. The Xbox version is XS enhanced though.

Yeah, I noticed. I found that weird too. The game does work on PS5 since all of them released recently do, but saying the game is "on PS4 and PS5" is a bit desingenious, since it suggests two versions. I initially tried to find the second version, but there is none, it's just the PS4 version. Oh, and you mention a version optmised specifically for the Xbox XS. WTF are they thinking with the PS5.

Last edited:

CSJ

Why does the trailer make it look like a mobile game?

I would not be surprised if the Game Director had some mid-life crisis early in development and had to bail for a bit and came back to a mobile game being developed and told them "no, it's a fucking console/pc game" at the last moment.
/s
I'll wait for a patch to fix the resolution and other issues, because I love Star Trek. I hate poorly made games.

Last edited:
Funny so many people get upset over lacking resolution options. As someone who plays Japanese games I'm used to that.
Not everything is made by a competent team with a budget. KTGust anyone?

jshackles

I decided to keep my copy, and hope for the best with patches down the line. I played through the first part of the game (up through where the mission actually gets underway) and the story is pretty great. The characters and their voice acting are all really good. This is solid "classic" Star Trek that is thankfully nothing like Discovery or NuTrek.

Technical issues aside, this is exactly what I wanted from a Telltale-like Star Trek game. But the 30fps cap, stiff animations, no fullscreen in ultrawide, etc. are pretty glaring issues.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I decided to keep my copy, and hope for the best with patches down the line. I played through the first part of the game (up through where the mission actually gets underway) and the story is pretty great. The characters and their voice acting are all really good. This is solid "classic" Star Trek that is thankfully nothing like Discovery or NuTrek.

Technical issues aside, this is exactly what I wanted from a Telltale-like Star Trek game. But the 30fps cap, stiff animations, no fullscreen in ultrawide, etc. are pretty glaring issues.
Yep that's pretty much where I am. I've put it aside until they fix it (and to be clear they have said they will) but I am looking forward to getting back to it.

Seems you can work around the 1080p max. resolution issue by using SpecialK on PC, although it requires me to press Alt-Enter twice to force the injected mod to work properly. It does make the game look at a lot better though than 1080p on a 1440p monitor.

There is also a modded executable that unlocks the 30 fps framerate cap on PC that someone on Twitter posted and it does work BUT the game is clearly designed to run at 30 fps with 30 fps animations so the game looks odd at 60 fps or higher (I tested it at 90 and 120 fps) and causes more bugs with the depth of field effect (which cannot be turned because, of course, the game has NO graphics options other than a Resolution one to 1080p and a Fullscreen toggle).

DaGwaphics

As a fan of Star-Trek I'll probably give it a shot at some point.

It's really too bad that the ST franchise has never had a truly great gaming moment. The games generally always come off as low-budget and/or janky. Unfortunate since there is certainly a lot of interesting lore to explore in this universe.

the_master

10/10
I loved it all the way (I would remove 2 small stealth sections completely)
Everything I needed from a Star Trek game. Great story, characters, choices, morals...

lefty1117

Gold Member
I played through it. Good story. Would make a good movie or two IMO. Excellent Star Trek feel. TNG is such a great setting. Would have liked a little bit more feeling commanding the ship, but honestly that's a very minor comment. Disappointed with the lack of technical options though. I know it's a small outfit but there are plenty of small outfits that support the standard 1440p and 60+ framerates. I used the unlocked exe + .ini settings to get it to run at 1440p and 240 fps, which my PC handled no problem, but as has been said it does mess up the gameplay a bit especially if you're using a controller. The turn rate seems tied to frame rate somehow so at the unlocked frames the controller was waaaay too sensitive, and there are no controller sensitivity settings. Which I guess makes sense because they designed the game to run at 1080p 30 fps.

They are working on a patch which is supposed to make these options officially supported so we'll see how that goes. Ultimately I switched back to the default settings to finish the game. I enjoyed the game and will play through it again at some point.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ive gone to the pirate store instead, fuck Epic.

Game story is cool but the 30fps lock and 1080p only makes me not want to play it.

lefty1117 lefty1117 can you tell me how to get these settings you have?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Yep that's pretty much where I am. I've put it aside until they fix it (and to be clear they have said they will) but I am looking forward to getting back to it.
Good to hear they have addressed the issues and are working on it. Still shocked that this game has released so under-the-radar, given I was so hyped for it.

MMaRsu

Banned
NO thanks dude, if you pirated the game you can look up how to do it yourself. It's pretty easy to find, if I can do it you certainly can!
Id buy it but it's not available besides the Epic Shit store. Im not spending my hard earned money there. If the publishers don't want my money so be it.

Rayderism

Played this on PS5. Nice game, but the "illusion of choice" is in full effect. Very few choices make any significant difference.

Still. The "Next Generation" feel is very well done.

jshackles

Still playing through this, it's a good game to spend an hour here and there. Seems like the game is about 10 hours long from what I've seen online, which I'm pretty happy with. I think I'm 6 or so hours in. Just got to the stealth part that the_master the_master mentioned above. Thankfully, there is a "replay in story mode" option when you lose, that lets you just bypass that completely.

Still a shame about the price. $30 I think would have been the sweet spot for this game. For $40 I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of polish and technical issues. Still, 10/10 story (so far) and maybe 6/10 for value (for me, personally). I'll revisit these numbers when I finish the game.

MMaRsu

Banned
The developers won't get paid either if you don't buy the game

Bruh you are one of the OGs and you managed to get bagged and dragged for a legit reason, you fucking moron. Come back smart. LEAVE HER ALONE! GET A JOB!
Absolutely true, shameful what I stated earlier. Will gladly buy when I can. You are 100% correct, my fault and apologies to the mods for having to deal with my cranky dumbass.

jshackles

Patch 1.1 released yesterday
  • Added support for higher screen resolutions.
  • Added additional support for multiple monitors.
  • Added “invert Y-Axis” setting.
  • Added Aim and Camera sensitivity settings.
  • Added option to disable motion blur.
  • Added confirmation dialog before returning to the main menu.
  • A Fixed restriction prevented the game from running at the system’s maximum framerate.
  • Fixed dialog audio playback issues.
  • Fixed Xbox achievements that didn’t unlock properly.
  • Fixed missing and/or incorrect subtitles and user interface text.
  • Adjusted Tricorder beeping to only occur if there are still important scannable items to find in a given area.
  • Adjusted transporter mini-game difficulty (easier).
  • Additional stability improvements and bug fixes.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Have had this game in the back of my kind for a while.

Have there been any additional patches since July, and if so, has the game been fixed so that it’s worth playing now?

-Minsc-

F... Awesome game. Got through to 1/3 according to my ps5 stats in my first sitting. Happy to own it as a disc version and every 90s trek fan needs to own this. So much better then the nutrek garbage 👍
Nee2QaD.jpg
How would you describe the experience of playing this game? Is it good simply for the story. What's the gameplay like?

Top Bottom