• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars |OT| Children of the Solstice

Couldn’t wait to download this one and start playing. Having fun already, that soundtrack is something else. Loving some of the tracks dialing in The Messenger tunes.

Who is everyone choosing as their party lead to start? Valere here. Gotta have the blue hair.

DeVeAn

Already thrilled. Love the relic that fully heals after every battle. Feel like I can go all out with every battle because of it. Tight party. Never been into 12 party members and such.

Is this going to be a repeat of octopath travels where nerdy nostalgic reviewers lose their mind but when I play the game it bores me to tears?
I'd be very surprised if this is as good as Octopath Traveler 2 honestly. Scores say its better, but I have to see it for myself.

Chukhopops

This or Suikoden in a months time? Can only play one then I'll be burned out.
First Suikoden is a classic, although if I remember correctly it’s a bit short unless you want to recruit every possible character.

Can’t go wrong with either option imo.

RagnarokIV

I’m currently playing through Suikoden on my PS1.

Suikoden for sure. These modern “retro games” promise that same feeling of classic games, but in the end, they are just modern games with a retro facade. The difference is more then just pixel graphics and SNES soundfonts.
Yeah, I think you're right about this. Suikoden is dropping in the next month or two.

So I'll hang out for that.

First Suikoden is a classic, although if I remember correctly it’s a bit short unless you want to recruit every possible character.

Can’t go wrong with either option imo.

Toots

Gold Member
Game looks great and a lot of fun.
I have but one comment to make :
I don't know if it's the blue hair or the chiseled jaw, but the girl gives me strong mtf trans vibes (not that i care, but any opportunity to make a lazy paintjob is nice).
kzHHDjI.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The Game Pass version of the game is now live.

Not sure what time the PS+ version does.

Exentryk

Done for the day (played like 8 hours RIP) and reached Wraith Island. Game is genuinely good. The story flows well and it feels like a journey like the good ol' days. Gorgeous artstyle, lovely lighting, varied locations and wonderful music really bring it in together. The combat for me is a little poor/simple, but it's not that bad that it would bring the game down.

So yeah, enjoying it so far.

I'd be very surprised if this is as good as Octopath Traveler 2 honestly. Scores say its better, but I have to see it for myself.
The combat is nowhere near as good as Octopath, but the other stuff is pretty good. It feels like the old school JRPG where you gather your party and go on a journey. It's been done well so far.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Played for a bit over an hour this morning before work. I'm really liking it a lot! The graphics are awesome, the music is mind blowing, and really my only minor gripe is how I'm horrid at timing button presses, but that's on me.

Will definitely keep playing it here and there, as time between BG3 and Starfield allows.

Rockondevil

Few hours in and I’m enjoying it so far.
I generally don’t enjoy many turn-based games so it’s always enjoyable to get one.

It’s a massive shame it’s out just before Starfield because that’s taking 100% of my spare time.

I'm still near the beginning. It seems pretty enjoyable. But whoever said the music in this game is good is out of their mind or deaf.

Saw the first typo in hour 1. "Rembember." I dont know how people miss this stuff making a game for years.

Last edited:
Atmosphere is fantastic. Combat is on the simple side but enjoyable early on. Looks as though the story and characters have some potential. Hope those aspects don't disappoint down the road.

There aren't too many years in gaming where I just can't possibly keep up with all the amazing releases, but this is one of them. How can I possibly have time for this with Baldur's Gate 3 and Starfield? It's the best problem to have.

Moonjt9

This game is scratching all my snes squaresoft itches. Gorgeous, music is fantastic as expected, and the game is super fun.

I am combing every bit of dialogue and trying to connect it to the messenger somehow, it’s always in the back of my mind as I’m playing. Fun!

nikos

I'm 1.5-2 hours in. Just finished the trial. One thing isn't making sense to me.

Why can Garl collect Live Mana? Hr tags along into the trial and all of the sudden has the ability to do so even though he's (at this point) a regular guy?

Perhaps this is explained later, and please don't spoil why if it is, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
I'm 1.5-2 hours in. Just finished the trial. One thing isn't making sense to me.

Why can Garl collect Live Mana? Hr tags along into the trial and all of the sudden has the ability to do so even though he's (at this point) a regular guy?

Perhaps this is explained later, and please don't spoil why if it is, but it doesn't make sense to me.
Didn't the Elder Mist say something like "Maybe he's able to awaken IT"?
I was also confused for a moment, but I'm sure that an explanation will follow at some point.

I have seen this comment frequently over the years (even in 90’s gaming magazines), but I am 25 hours into the game and it just keeps going. It’s almost too long.

Lunarorbit

Grammar isn't what concerns me.....it's the game being too "text heavy" from what I am hearing. If there's a good story to be told, then good...but I don't want to be stuck in dialogue for 15-30 mins like I was for Eastward (another 16 bit like indie). The demo had some of this where NPCs I didn't care for were going on and on and on for like 10+ minutes with what I call uneventful filler dialogue. Otherwise the game looks insanely fun.
Played the demo and the dialogue put me off from getting this game. Like the art style and the combat was OK but I had the same complaint about the writing. I just started skipping what they were saying cause I wanted to interact with the world more.

Too wordy for a demo.

Played the demo and the dialogue put me off from getting this game. Like the art style and the combat was OK but I had the same complaint about the writing. I just started skipping what they were saying cause I wanted to interact with the world more.

Too wordy for a demo.
It definitely picks up soon after the intro. The level design is among the best ever for a retro RPG of this kind. Virtually every screen has you climbing, jumping, or moving along an interesting route. Almost feels more like Landstalker than Chrono Trigger at times. Combat is a ton of fun as well once you get used to it.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

My brother in christ, do you want to hear an amazing factoid ?

The image you've quoted above, I am the one who submitted it to the website ffcompendium as part of their "famous moments" page on their website, this was like 2 decades ago lol :pie_sfwth:

The reason the cursor is black and Cloud is wielding the Ultima Sword at a point he shouldn't is because it's taken via the EPSXE emulator and a plethora of cheats lol. I had a real shitty PC, like the kind people hand off to kids, so I had to reduce a shit ton of settings to get the game to work acceptable.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I’m currently playing through Suikoden on my PS1.

Suikoden for sure. These modern “retro games” promise that same feeling of classic games, but in the end, they are just modern games with a retro facade. The difference is more then just pixel graphics and SNES soundfonts.
how so? these games have many of the same aspects to them.

nikos

Didn't the Elder Mist say something like "Maybe he's able to awaken IT"?
I was also confused for a moment, but I'm sure that an explanation will follow at some point.

You're right, he did say something like that. Guess we'll find out!

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
How are people playing the game? I'm thinking I'll play it on Xbox because of gamepass, but woukd be great to have it on my Switch and play on mobile.

Top Bottom