• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars | Launch Trailer

Sea of Stars arrives next Tuesday, August 29th on Steam (PC), Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One & Xbox Series X/S. Big thanks to all who have helped us spread the word! Wishlist Sea of Stars to make sure you are notified when the game comes out!

Sea of Stars is a turn-based RPG inspired by the classics. It tells the story of two Children of the Solstice who will combine the powers of the sun and moon to perform Eclipse Magic, the only force capable of fending off the monstrous creations of the evil alchemist known as The Fleshmancer.

Sea of Stars also releases Day 1 on both Game Pass and PS+ Extra & Premium tiers.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Now's a good time to be a JRPG fan. Or RPG fan, in general. We're getting a lot of great releases this year.

Can't wait to ogle the beautiful pixel art all day and drool over the lovingly crafted environments

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
JRPG is a style of RPG more than a country. These games take far more from Japanese made RPGs than CRPGs.
It's obviously inspired, but gets kinda odd when you call western games like this a JRPG. Then what do we call Dragon's Dogma, a WRPG? It's just non-sensical.

Also ends up being kind of unfair. The Japanese label would then be inherently dated and behind the times. The western label would inherently seem more favorable for anything made to appeal to modern mainstream audiences, despite WRPGs being wildly different from CRPGs of the past. And modern Japanese RPGs are wildly different from old JRPGs of the past.

Anyway, the game looks fun. I was pleased to see the devs don't call it a JRPG. The label is busted.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Then what do we call Dragon's Dogma, a WRPG?
Action RPG. It doesn't take enough from JRPGs or CRPGs, it clearly has a focus on action combat more than anything, so the label is accurate, here.

It's also why people don't really call Souls games "JRPGs" despite being made by japanese studios, they clearly take more cues from action games than a JRPG.

Fbh

Definitely going to be playing this, I was going to buy it anyway but I won't complain about getting it on Ps+.
Chained Echoes was already better than anything made by Square in the last 20 years. I wonder if this will keep the trend of "indie JRPG's doing what Japan't" going

Zheph

Definitely going to be playing this, I was going to buy it anyway but I won't complain about getting it on Ps+.
Chained Echoes was already better than anything made by Square in the last 20 years. I wonder if this will keep the trend of "indie JRPG's doing what Japan't" going
Sadly true... Chained Echoes was so good. I am more cautious about this one but hoping for the same surprise

I got burned 5 hours into Chained Echoes by game-breaking/sequence-breaking bugs that took months to fix. I’ll never get those 5 hours back. I’ve heard the game is good for those whose experience wasn’t ruined by bugs, tho!

Rat Rage

This was made in Canada. The devs actually were responsible with their labeling too. "A retro-inspired turn based RPG."

JRPG is a genre. It's synonymous with "turn based RPG". The devs could have called it "A retro-inspired JPRG", which - if you take the inspiration of Chrono Trigger into account - is exactly what it is.
Here's an example:
A) Tom likes to eat a waffle with "lighter batter, larger squares, and deeper pockets" (than a regular, american waffle)
B) Tom likes to eat a "Belgian waffle".
A) and B) talk about exactly the same thing. A) <-> B)

Punished Miku

Gold Member
JRPG is a genre. It's synonymous with "turn based RPG"
A decent try but this definition attempt has already fallen apart. This would exclude countless games like Final Fantasy VI - IX, XII - XVI, all Tales of games, and a ton more. I'll drop it though because this could be its own thread entirely, and has many times before.

Rat Rage

A decent try but this definition attempt has already fallen apart. This would exclude countless games like Final Fantasy VI - IX, XII - XVI, all Tales of games, and a ton more. I'll drop it though because this could be its own thread entirely, and has many times before.

It does not fall apart, beause FF6 ATB is just a variation of "turn-based". Essentially it is turn-based, but the waiting time for your turn is just dynamic. FF9 is one too, 12 is probably one too, some Tales Games are (other's maybe not), but FF16 is definitely NOT a JPRG. It's actually not that hard to classify something as an JRPG, just like any other genre. It's actually never been a problem - however, the phenomenon of not labeling JRPGs correctly or downright labeling non-JRPGs as JRPGs, is a thing of recent years (I'd say 5 to 10 years maybe).
I think certain gamers are just too young to actually know what the term JPRG - historically- has always refered to and how it came about, and have gotten confused when they heared "Japanese Role-Playing-Game" (suggesting it refers to a location, instead of a specific type of gameplay).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Final Fantasy VI - IX, XII - XVI, all Tales of games,
ATB is still turn based, just worse. And Final Fantasy XVI is barely an RPG, if at all.

Tales of still carries tropes and gameplay concepts that are mainly seen in JRPGs, despite the lack of turn based. Like seperating the world into 3 states of overworld, world, and battle, anime/anime adjacent artstyle, lack of traditional RPG classes and species like Elves, Wizards, and Orcs (while still containing magical properties) etc etc etc

Last edited:
Top Bottom