• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars |OT| Children of the Solstice

I think the game seriously botches the balance of combat.
MP and healing items are severely limited, so what they did here is they put in a campfire and a save point every few rooms. Yes, mob fights do get more tense (and a little unfair) a few hours into the game, and missing a couple of blocks can be very dangerous. But you basically have to survive just four or five battles before you can heal up fully again for free.

Compare this to old JRPGs where you could face a dozen battles or more before finding the next save point, but you had enough MP to heal several times and probably plenty of leftover small potions to even the odds a bit in case a battle went south. The tension was very different, the stakes felt higher because save points were few and far between and each one felt like a true milestone.

Level up boosts are quite baffling, too. You almost never get extra MP unless you go for the bonus. Defense bonuses, on the other hand, are always very high and it‘s hard to choose something else seeing the ridiculous damage enemies start doing when zombies and magic-using creatures start appearing. Defense is way more important than attack here.

At that point in the game the stat ups seem better but as you progress you'll find MP to be extremely useful. I typically go for HP, MP, and then sometimes ATK/MATK.

How are you all liking this compared to Chained Echoes? I didn't get very far in that, but from what I played on the Deck, it was really good.

Too wordy for a demo.

Sometimes I think I am just out of touch with young people, but then I read comments like this and realize that something has actually gone wrong.

TOO WORDY?

I just played through the demo in about an hour. Of that hour, there was maybe a few minutes of dialogue. All the dialogue was with the pirates at the very start. You must have played the game for 30 seconds.

So, yeah, I played the demo on Switch and now I want it. It still does feel like “pixel art retro RPG #182”, but the combat was actually challenging and interesting.

cormack12

Gold Member
Sometimes I think I am just out of touch with young people, but then I read comments like this and realize that something has actually gone wrong.

TOO WORDY?

I just played through the demo in about an hour. Of that hour, there was maybe a few minutes of dialogue. All the dialogue was with the pirates at the very start. You must have played the game for 30 seconds.

So, yeah, I played the demo on Switch and now I want it. It still does feel like “pixel art retro RPG #182”, but the combat was actually challenging and interesting.

Too wordy. Summarise pls.

TOO WORDY?

I’m with you, mostly. If someone only played the demo, you are treated to a decent amount of “small talk” dialogue that doesn’t really have context or explain what’s happening on the quest aside from a quick blurb by the devs. It’s very front loaded. Anyone playing the demo will want to get started right away and get a feel for the gameplay. They don’t care about this random pirate troupe, especially when they aren’t characters in your party.

Having played the full game, it makes complete sense why they chose that segment to be the demo. It gives you a little purpose for the story, a self contained area without spoilers, and a good demonstration of puzzles/fights.

So I can see why people think it’s wordy when it front loads that. But this game is one of the best RPGs in recent memory in terms of short, meaningful dialogue. I have terrifying flashbacks to Xenoblade Chronicles 1 for constant throwaway dialogue before, during, and after every sidequest. Lots of unnecessary text. Sea of Stars has none of that. There is some text that gives you a sense of the character’s personalities, or it’s plot driven. Both are brief.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
How are you all liking this compared to Chained Echoes? I didn't get very far in that, but from what I played on the Deck, it was really good.
Chained Echoes is far superior in character customization and battle tactics even in its early stages, and it has much better exploration. The story is also much darker. I didn’t care for the game’s difficulty balance - Sea of Stars is just right about that - and Chained Echoes is obviously graphically simpler.

Let’s say Sea of Stars plays it safer, while Chained Echoes clearly wants to be its own thing and goes a little overboard with it.

Thief1987

Don't judge full game by the demo. I also thought that the demo was fairly difficult, maybe because I didn't learn how to use game's mechanics properly. I'm at the middle point of the game right now and there is absolutely nothing challenging so far, it's very easy. There are relic items in the game which work kinda like modificators, they can make game harder or even more easier. Though I don't have any of the ones which make things more difficult, so can't say how much they change. All in all in it's vanilla state game is a cakewalk unless some sharp difficulty spike in the second half.

Last edited:
So, anyway, does this game have framedrops on the Switch? I’m hoping that is only in the demo. The demo had lower frame rate in the cave when the light beams were on, and in some other area (I forget, the town maybe). I also read something about screen tearing on the PS5 version.

I just got the 3rd party member. I'm hoping it gets better, but it does seem fairly slow so far.
But I've only been playing in small sessions.

Just tried the PC demo and it hitches/stutters while walking about every 10 seconds. Just consistently enough to be annoying. The game runs at 500+ FPS at 1440p, so I'm not sure what's going on. I guess I will buy the Switch version instead.

Actually, it was something else causing the stuttering. Now I still have the dilemma of whether to get on PC or Switch. My old eyes see the screen better on my 27" monitor.

Last edited:
Is anyone playing this on Nintendo Switch? I am leaning towards buying it on Switch, but the drops in framerate in the demo has me concerned. The PC version is flawless, of course. I am wondering if the final version on Switch still has the performance issue.

I can't find mention of this anywhere.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That feeling when you don't know the difference between bits and bytes... :(
Question 32. John has a Chrono Trigger 32megabits rom, but when he rips it to his computer, the filesize reads 4 megabytes. This confuses John, who doesn't know the difference between bits and bytes.

How many bits are in a byte?

A. .2 bits
B. 8 bits
C. 16 bits
D. This isn't elementary school smartass why are you asking test questions

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
John has a Chrono Trigger 32megabits rom, but when he rips it to his computer, the filesize reads 4 megabytes. This confuses John, who doesn't know the difference between bits and bytes.

How many bits are in a byte?

A. .2 bits
B. 8 bits
C. 16 bits
D. Wayment
Why did you edit your post? That D answer was funny!

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
here's another (un)funny test question: If Chrono Trigger at 32 megabits is 4 megabytes, how many megabits comprise Sea of Stars which is..... 3.67 gigabytes?
Keep in mind 1024 megabytes makes a gigabyte.

A. 15032 megabits
B. 32768 gigabits
C. 69420 kekabits
D. stop doing this, it wasnt even funny the first time!!!

Last edited:
I just got the 3rd party member. I'm hoping it gets better, but it does seem fairly slow so far.
But I've only been playing in small sessions.

It does. Just take it for what it is at first and enjoy the environments, trust that the story and gameplay will pick up more after your trip to Wraith Island.

Toots

Gold Member
I'm pretty far into the story i think.
i just have to cross the sea of star to defeat the enchanteress

I agree with the dude that says it takes a nosedive after the twist, but only because it was so good at the beginning that it almost was unsustainable. There are slower sections (and sometimes too much talking), and i cannot wait to get some way to travel more easily and rapidly on the world map, but overall the journey was great and i spent almost my entire week-end playing it.
If you have PS+ or gamepass just try it you'll get hooked.

Little aside concerning combat :

I don't get people saying the game has uninteresting or repetitive combat.
As in you're presented with a situation and there isn't ten ways to solve the problem (usually there's but one) if you don't want to take a lot of damage ?
It is exactly the same with enter the breach and everyone loved it. I get ETB is somewhat deeper and has more systems working at the same time but to say Sea of Star combat system is repetitive or boring is weird.

It reminds me of Enter the breach a little in the way you have to plan two or three moves in advance if you don't want to get screwed. In both games, i had moments when i was convinced my foolproof plan would bring me the victory only to get light up like a 4th of july by some semi hidden mob i had not taken into account (it was almost always my fault but damn what an emotional rollercoaster).
One thing that was not my fault tho is the way mobs sometimes get on top of one another (especially when you use a certain spell by a certain character). It becomes difficult to see which one is preparing which attack (which is necessary to counter them), and i had a few occurence where it was impossible to determine which monster did what. Not game breaking per say and i don't think it can occurs with bosses because enemies are immovable during thoses battles, but annoying nonetheless. This and sometimes when using the dagger spell with the ninja it's set up in such a way that she goes off screen and you have to time your input blind...

No it is not Sexpellianus as Harry Potter isn't in the game

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Yes, in certain occasions it’s downright amateurish how the battle interface struggles to fit in the screen. In some instances of using Moonerang, Valere places herself behind the characters‘ portraits and scores. And sometimes it’s not easy to understand which enemies are preparing a breakable attack, or which of your characters is being targeted.

Yoshi97

Is anyone playing this on Nintendo Switch? I am leaning towards buying it on Switch, but the drops in framerate in the demo has me concerned. The PC version is flawless, of course. I am wondering if the final version on Switch still has the performance issue.

I can't find mention of this anywhere.
I'm playing on switch, and aside from the final boss it seemed to run fine the whole time ( loading screens are a bit longer I think too).

I am pretty close to the end, at least as far as the game is warning me. It also opened up a bunch of sidequests too, presumably the areas I haven’t been able to travel to yet. Game is a good length and I’m not quite ready to be done yet, but maybe after all the sidequests I will be since I’ll have done everything and probably will be 40 hours in at that point.

I am pretty close to the end, at least as far as the game is warning me. It also opened up a bunch of sidequests too, presumably the areas I haven’t been able to travel to yet. Game is a good length and I’m not quite ready to be done yet, but maybe after all the sidequests I will be since I’ll have done everything and probably will be 40 hours in at that point.
Same here, Im wrapping up all misc tasks before final dungeon. I would say 40hours as well. It was a great ride! I guess theres two endings so I might have to do some trickery to get both. As it stands Im thinking 9/10. Some parts really bothered me like Swan Song of Warrior Cook (how absolutely cheesy and unreal) but everything else was ace.

I'm playing on switch, and aside from the final boss it seemed to run fine the whole time ( loading screens are a bit longer I think too).
I know this is extreme nit-picking, but
I watched a video (recorded from off-screen camera) and clearly saw some judder/dropped frames as the player ran around in the “tutorial” area.

To be fair, the PC version also has a couple of areas where I can reproduce a very minor stutter if I run back and forth on the spot. It must be something inherent to the game engine.

I ended up buying it on Steam. The portability of the Switch was extremely tempting. Then I remembered that my PC is actually a laptop, so I can still take it out on the front porch or in my reading chair as I would my Switch.

I also still feel burned by losing an estimated resale value of $400 in Nintendo 3DS games due to being digital. I am very hesitant to buy digital Switch games.

Damn, this game is good. The amount of man-hours that must have been put into this is astounding. There are so many detailed animations and artwork. How long was this game in development? Announced in March 2020? Sold for a measly $40 (CAD)? Meanwhile the standard unreal engine square-enix B-tier game is $80.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Loving this game and how snappy it is but no local map is a huuge negative
The locations are so simple and straightforward, a map would destroy the little exploration there is.

It beggars belief how the game seemed to ramp up the difficulty at one point, only to revert to “I’m too young to die” difficulty shortly after that, with bosses in particular becoming a complete joke. 10 hours later, it still has to offer any new significant challenge. The only times it does put you in kinda dangerous situations, it does so by resorting to very convenient enemy formations and patterns.

The story is also all over the place, with deus ex machinas and McGuffin chases carrying it along, and apparently big roadblocks being handwaved away through the Power of Friendship and Good Will.

Everyone down on the story and characters is missing the fact it’s not really a game about Valere, Zale, or Garl. It’s about
Resh’an and Aephorul.

The universe building and power struggle is way more interesting compared to the characters on their own.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Everyone down on the story and characters is missing the fact it’s not really a game about Valere, Zale, or Garl. It’s about
Resh’an and Aephorul.

The universe building and power struggle is way more interesting compared to the characters on their own.
That’s exactly what makes it boring, redundant and uninteresting for at least half of it (I’m 20 hours in).
What made Chrono Trigger a great story was how casually a group of small people stumbled upon something enormous, and managed to make a difference. Nothing ever seems to pull their strings. And the characters were interesting. Even silent Chrono has more charisma than the two puppets that you should care for in SoS.

The fact that for half of the game a secondary character basically keeps things moving and takes everyone out of the frying pan every time makes the protagonists even less significant. Yet I should be supposed to relate to them.

SoS seems to get its priorities all wrong. I’m curious to see what it will turn into now that

Garl died and I can access the Sea of Stars.

That’s exactly what makes it boring, redundant and uninteresting for at least half of it (I’m 20 hours in).
What made Chrono Trigger a great story was how casually a group of small people stumbled upon something enormous, and managed to make a difference. Nothing ever seems to pull their strings. And the characters were interesting. Even silent Chrono has more charisma than the two puppets that you should care for in SoS.

The fact that for half of the game a secondary character basically keeps things moving and takes everyone out of the frying pan every time makes the protagonists even less significant. Yet I should be supposed to relate to them.

SoS seems to get its priorities all wrong. I’m curious to see what it will turn into now that

Garl died and I can access the Sea of Stars.

I don't think Valere and Zale are meant for you to relate to. They're a fairly blank slate without much in the way of personalities, they are stand in characters for "you", the player to project on. Not saying you have to like that, but I find it odd you compare Crono favorably to them. Especially because Chrono Trigger has what I'd consider very barebones story and characters (Frog, Magus, Robo are the only ones I could tell you anything about). You call him a secondary character, but it's clear
Resh'an
is the focal point of the game in that everything that is happening can be traced back to him. I find that plot way more interesting.

In any case, keep playing as things start to get increasingly interesting plot-wise after the part you mentioned.

killatopak

Gold Member
Is there an escape move or something? I’m loving the exploration but I’m about 50 rainbow conches in and for the life of me I have never found a way to escape battle. In the grand scheme of things, it makes me cautious and pay attention but it does frustrate me a little when I can’t go past some enemies I fought a dozen hours ago.

Last edited:
The locations are so simple and straightforward, a map would destroy the little exploration there is.

It beggars belief how the game seemed to ramp up the difficulty at one point, only to revert to “I’m too young to die” difficulty shortly after that, with bosses in particular becoming a complete joke. 10 hours later, it still has to offer any new significant challenge. The only times it does put you in kinda dangerous situations, it does so by resorting to very convenient enemy formations and patterns.

The story is also all over the place, with deus ex machinas and McGuffin chases carrying it along, and apparently big roadblocks being handwaved away through the Power of Friendship and Good Will.

Anyone have a rebuttal to this? Cause reading this makes me think I won't like this game very much. Lack of any difficulty and a story that's filled with contrivances sounds not so great.

Finally started playing it this week in between bouts of S ranking every mission in AC6 for the plat trophy and 100%-ing Blasphemous 2 (my indie game of the year and strong contender for OST of the year). I'm 7 hours in, some overall thoughts:

Visually this is a gorgeous title, the pixel art is some of the best I've ever seen, all the little animations giving the world and it's characters life and expression with the vibrant colour palette making everything pop. I'm quite enjoying the soundtrack too, one early track that I think hits hard, magical and enchanting:

All the "minigames" I've encountered thus far are enjoyable from fishing to cooking to Wheels (won both Champion matches I've found), it's all presented well with unique visual flourishes. I like variety in my JRPG's and this definitely delivers. This extends to the exploration and dungeons too, seems like there is always some new environmental/puzzle solving mechanic to keep things fresh which I appreciate.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows though, the combat is a double-edged sword. On one hand I appreciate having an active engagement Super Mario RPG style with timing button presses, it's a fun mechanic. Yesterday I took out a boss with the Moonerang ricochet, got up to 23 deflects, very cool stuff! On the other hand I'm already starting to feel a kind of repetition set in which ultimately comes down to attack variety, let me explain.

After 7 hours I'm *still" using the same Fireball spell with Zale. Why? Because I haven't unlocked anything else yet! All 3 characters have the same 2 spells they started out with, it's kind of insane lol. I've found 2 Combo skills (after the initial one you get) but one of them is a heal spell so it doesn't count as far as attacking the enemy. Maybe the game will all of a sudden give you a bunch of new spells to play with? I don't know but what I *do* know is that by this point in a JRPG your party will have (at least) a dozen ways to attack the enemy and it will only expand further from there.

The overall story and writing isn't setting my world on fire either, it's all a bit cliche and vanilla for my taste, simple and generally lacking pizzazz. There have been a couple of charming moments that got a chuckle out of me but overall this is JRPG Handbook 101. Maybe it will blow my mind later on, who knows.

Initial sales are impressive given that it's also available on both PS+ and Gamepass, I'm happy for the team. Will definitely see it through to the end and post final thoughts upon completion though I don't expect any of the points I made to drastically change.

Moonjt9

Got the platinum last night. After ruminating on my experience, for me this is a 10/10 instant classic masterpiece.

I loved every minute. The story was engrossing, especially having played The Messenger. I had a lot of HOLY SHIT moments with subverted expectations, and references and ties to The Messenger(which I also got the plat recently and LOVED).

It’s such a well made greatest hits of the classic snes RPGs. It’s like Squaresoft reborn. A lot of criticism I’ve heard revolves around things like dialogue and maybe some simpler tropes and stuff. But I actually liked that they really leaned into making a game that could have come out in 1995. It awoke the same kind of childhood imagination and fantasy those games gave me with its similar simpler writing and eschewing a lot of the things that big down modern releases.

And the music. THE MUSIC. It’s absolutely godtier. Some of the best battle music ever in an rpg, and the meshing of styles and the way music plays a role in the feeing of each area, like the battle theme changing to more synth in the futuristic areas and whatnot. It’s all so good. Mitsuda confirms again why he’s the GOAT and Eric Brown dropping yet another S tier soundtrack like he did with The Messenger.

I can’t praise this game enough. It’s the best game I’ve played this generation.

Anyone have a rebuttal to this? Cause reading this makes me think I won't like this game very much. Lack of any difficulty and a story that's filled with contrivances sounds not so great.
If you are looking for a reason to not play this game, then just don’t play it. There are more games out there than you can play in a lifetime. If you haven’t played the demo, why? The demo is an excellent sample of the game.

IMHO, if you enjoyed Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana, this game is basically an homage to those games. It’s very well designed, with stunning music, some fresh mechanics (I really like the XP system), wonderful art, and is just fun.

I have no complaints about the challenge. Every battle is a mini-puzzle and that is what makes it fun. The last boss I fought did go down surprisingly quickly, but I think that is intended if you “solve” their attack patterns.

The story is at the same level of complexity as the JRPGs it emulates. The game is linear. You go to a town, hear some story, fight through a dungeon, hear more story, move on to the next town.

TLDR: play the demo?

best battle music ever in an rpg, and the meshing of styles and the way music plays a role in the feeing of each area, like the battle theme changing to more synth in the futuristic areas and whatnot.
Dude, I didn’t realize this until getting to wraith island. It’s fantastic.

Also, when I first heard the nighttime version of the music for the Moorlands… goddamn.

Thief1987

From the pretty easy first half game somehow managed to become complete press x to win in the second. And it's still dragging and dragging. Writing and story is so childish that it's impossible to take it seriously. Wish it to end already tbh.

Last edited:

Exentryk

Writing just becomes worse and worse, but at least the combat feels a little better at the end as you have more characters/options. But still, it's a fairly polished game overall with good variety of locales and enemies.

Just got done with the ending and I don't really feel much for the story. I did enjoy some of the secrets near the end though, and the arena is cool as well. Will grab all the
conches next and go for the true ending.

killatopak

Gold Member
Whoever designed the final arena boss which makes Valere stand on a corner BESIDE an enemy while doing her boomerang should get destroyed by the Fleshmancer.

Edit: Fucking finally found a solution. Use that character's skill to pull all enemies to the opposite corner. Should be easier now. Now to beat this thing.
Edit: Phew. I didn't die at the boss but kept restarting due to the boomerang placement. Now that I managed to kill that one minion, everything is like a breeze. Finally done with it. Game has frustrating mechanics sometimes like that ninja jumps off screen using one of her skills.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Whoever designed the final arena boss which makes Valere stand on a corner BESIDE an enemy while doing her boomerang should get destroyed by the Fleshmancer.

Edit: Fucking finally found a solution. Use that character's skill to pull all enemies to the opposite corner. Should be easier now. Now to beat this thing.
Edit: Phew. I didn't die at the boss but kept restarting due to the boomerang placement. Now that I managed to kill that one minion, everything is like a breeze. Finally done with it. Game has frustrating mechanics sometimes like that ninja jumps off screen using one of her skills.
You shouldn‘t need a turnaround to use a basic combat move effectively. It’s downright amateurish that this should happen with that move and the poison knives move. Especially when those moves are essential to break so many enemy attacks with their multiple hits. It’s crystal clear they didn’t know how and/or didn’t care to fix that. They’d rather stick to a broken idea than make it functional.

After the 20 hours mark the plot took an unexpected turn that’s making it a bit more serious and interesting. I was really, really bored for a few hours before that. Combat never stops being an annoying chore though. Bosses can only get somewhat challenging by having multiple minions preparing multiple attacks you can’t interrupt 100%.

Thief1987

After the 20 hours mark the plot took an unexpected turn that’s making it a bit more serious and interesting.
If you are talking about
Garl
then I expect it will be overturned by the true ending and make this drama build-up completely worthless. We will see though, I still haven't reached even normal ending. Story is bloated and should have ended 10 hours ago.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If you are talking about
Garl
then I expect it will be overturned by the true ending and make this drama build-up completely worthless. We will see though, I still haven't reached even normal ending. Story is bloated and should have ended 10 hours ago.
Oh no, I’m talking about what happens after that.
The part in your spoiler was too boring and ridiculously happy-go-lucky until the obvious conclusion for me to take it seriously.
BTW, I fifty-fifty expect things to go as you said, at least in the secret ending, which would be an ever bigger letdown.

Urban

The assasin girl with her "delay" technic is op as fuck. The most bosses never used their specials against me.
Finished it today on Steam in 28,5 hrs and iam a slow gamer lol.

Sprites 9/10
Mechanics 7/10
Exploration 6/10
Story-/Wordbuilding 7/10

Overall: 7/10

HUGE Ending Spoiler and random thoughts:

Thank god i looked up the "true ending" because it would piss me off because whats the point of drama and sadness when you can just rewind and switch the person? Shit is lame!

What was the Point with the Dragon?

I found a item close to the daccari sea which gave you 2 charges of super attacks if you startet the fight with a attack oder the rope.. So basically easy money

Overall the Ending was kinda meh tbh

killatopak

Gold Member
Done. Despite all my nitpicks, I enjoyed my time with the game.

i9VoHIh.png

Last edited:

Fbh

5 hours in I'm enjoying, it's not Chained Echoes tier but it has been fun.

The good:
-Visuals and music are really nice
-Level design is enjoyable, it's not overly complex but it's fun to explore and each dungeon so far has had some unique gimmick. This is the sort of stuff I wanted from FFXVI, it doesn't need to be super complex puzzle but just a bit of variety instead of running from one fight to the next

The neutral:
- Combat has been fun, but after 5 hours I also feel like I'm at the point where I hope they start introducing new party members or skills soon. I've leveled up multiple times without gaining any new abilities.

The bad:
- The plot is pretty bland so far. The story still doesn't have much of a hook and the main characters are as bland as it gets. So far Valere and Zale are basically the same character and there's not much to say about them other than that they are generic good guys.

Edmund

Am I the only one who feels that there's just way too many puzzles in this game? I don't mind the occasional puzzle in an RPG and I want to like this game. I'm about 6 hours in and there's puzzles after puzzles after puzzles in order to proceed to the next sections of game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom