• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that never got released that you are still pissed about

sublimit

Banned
Tomb Raider Anniversary by Core Design.

Fuck those backstabbing thieves of Crystal Dynamics for stealing the project from Core's hands which was also their last hope for survival as a developer. :(
He put the pieces together in his head and pitched Eidos/SCi (SCi having taken over Eidos in 2005). They loved it, so a team of Tomb Raider veterans at Core set about remaking the original game in the new engine. It was going well, Rummery recalls—both looking and playing great. But Crystal Dynamics didn't want Core back in the picture, and the American studio built a rival demo.
"They convinced whatever the politics in SCi was like that it made more sense to just keep it all in one studio," says Rummery. "Keep the franchise in one place. And so ours was killed,
and you'd have never heard if it hadn't been leaked by someone."

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Axelay2.jpg

Last edited:

Zannegan

Probably Prey 2. So pissed that one that I got an irrational surge of petty schadenfreude when Prey bombed, even though I know there's no real link there.

I was also weirdly interested in Project HAMMER back in the day. I know it was basically jus a tech demo, but it seemed so odd, so quirky, so unabashedly Japan that I really wanted to play it. I should just get into EDF instead.

Scalebound by Platinum of course and another game called Harker comes to mind. I remember watching a trailer for it during the early days of last gen and thinking it looked pretty cool.

Geki-D

Banned
RE storyline was going quite messed up.

RE 1.5 at one point had a boss monster called salem, whose tail have a face of a man inside, according to translation it was named Nicholas or Wesker, but we don't know details about of him. It was later replaced by Birkin G stages. And one of the reasons why the game had to be redone was because the new writer, Noboru Sugimura, considered it too be too conclusive.
That was Dash, not 1.5, Dash was even before 1.5. It got canned because it would delayed RE2.

Doczu

yes its dead. people close to the developer said he had a mental breakdown + health problems. its dead.

Bummer. Really loved the trailers and the premise of the game.
Hope the dude gets well and maybe sometime we'll hear about it again.

Kadayi

Banned

^ This.

The game looked dope.

Also

Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Seriously, I legitimately do not understand why on earth Valve abjectly failed to ship this in a timely fashion, especially given 'Ship and ship often' was one of Gabe Newell's core messages to mod-makers and the like. Just basically abandoning a series 2/3rds of the way through and saying nothing about it to the existing customer base has to be one of the most retarded business decisions ever in terms of placing a bit question mark over your ability as a Studio to see things through when the going gets tough. Much love for Steam, but I just don't trust Valve to stay the course when it comes to support on the development front. I know that they make a big play about what an amazing company they are with their flat structure (Their "Leaked" New Employee Handbook ) but all the talk in the world doesn't mean squat versus actual results in the public eye.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Is there any truth to the rumour that it was blocked by Nintendo?

After the bond licence expired with activision (or was it EA?) MS and Ninty both had a 50/50 split of it and neither would let the other budge, though I believe at the time MS were willing for it to appear on other systems, but Ninty didn’t want it to be done “at all”.

So stick it in the “Nintendo have no fucking clue” pile that’s 16 miles high...

Banned
Is there any truth to the rumour that it was blocked by Nintendo?

yes, Activision and Microsoft wanted to go ahead with it but Nintendo blocked it. the deal Microsoft had in mind was kinda bad tho to be fair. they proposed that they would release the HD remaster on Xbox Live, while Nintendo can release the N64 version on their Virtual Console in return

After the bond licence expired with activision (or was it EA?) MS and Ninty both had a 50/50 split of it and neither would let the other budge, though I believe at the time MS were willing for it to appear on other systems, but Ninty didn’t want it to be done “at all”.

So stick it in the “Nintendo have no fucking clue” pile that’s 16 miles high...

back when the game was in development and during the time it was planned to be released, Activision still had the license for Bond
they had the license until ~2013, and the game was supposed o be released in 2008

Last edited:

Dane

That was Dash, not 1.5, Dash was even before 1.5. It got canned because it would delayed RE2.

It was around 1.5, but got canned before it went out of paper, IMO it was one of the signals that they weren't being able to move foward on storyline terms.

Vlaphor

Steambot Chronicles 2. I understand why, but the original is still one of my favorite PS2 games of all time.

Mass Shift

^ This.

The game looked dope.

Also

Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Seriously, I legitimately do not understand why on earth Valve abjectly failed to ship this in a timely fashion, especially given 'Ship and ship often' was one of Gabe Newell's core messages to mod-makers and the like. Just basically abandoning a series 2/3rds of the way through and saying nothing about it to the existing customer base has to be one of the most retarded business decisions ever in terms of placing a bit question mark over your ability as a Studio to see things through when the going gets tough. Much love for Steam, but I just don't trust Valve to stay the course when it comes to support on the development front. I know that they make a big play about what an amazing company they are with their flat structure (Their "Leaked" New Employee Handbook ) but all the talk in the world doesn't mean squat versus actual results in the public eye.

Won't ever look for Half-Life anything in the future.

Unfortunately I suck at names.

But there was once a kickstarter for a dungeon crawler with state of the art graphics and full turn-based combat. I think "life", "death" or "nether" was in the name. It failed kickstarter but then tried to go via donations. Eventually the project was cancelled, though.

There was also an IndieGogo campaign for a game called The Black Tower which reminded me a LOT of Final Fantasy VII, which also failed and the game was cancelled.

Then there's Eternal Eden Ecclesia. The developer said it will release soon so I pre-ordered it, but the past 10 years he's been posting excuses why his game STILL isn't done.

Just to compile the posts I agreed with:

MegaMan Legends 3
Silent Hills
Star Wars Battlefront 3
Star Wars: KotOR 3
Star Wars 1313
MGSV with ending
Prey 2
Zone of the Enders 3

(Gees a lot of third games we didn't get)

And finally, MGS Rising. The original game set between 2 and 4 to explain how Raiden became a cyborg. It would've been glorious. And not Revengeance...

Now I'm depressed thinking about all these games we'll never play...

Top Bottom