• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that rush the player and are better for it?

Sakura

Games like Persona 4 and the older Idolmasters. In some games the fact that there is some kind of time limit is what makes things a challenge. If you have infinite time, then it's basically impossible to lose, which removes any sort of tension for me.

RPGam3r

Part of a game has a time limit (Super Metroid for example)? Sure sounds cool.

Whole game has a time constraint? Immediate negative, one of my biggest issues with Persona titles.

Trackmania Turbo pushes you to your limits of you want to unlock some of the later tracks. Keeping up with the ghost's Silver times feels impossible near the Red Series. I love that game.

KarmaCow

Part of a game has a time limit (Super Metroid for example)? Sure sounds cool.

Whole game has a time constraint? Immediate negative, one of my biggest issues with Persona titles.

The time limit in Persona games are more so that you can't literally do everything, giving a tiny bit of consequence to the choices. It's not really issue outside of min/maxing and even then the time you have to get to the next break point is pretty generous.

SephLuis

I was referring to the damage from dark aether putting a clock on your exploration.

The time system is the dying to Dark Aether atmosphere.

Think Boost Ball boss.

I finished the game on Hypermode this time and, except for the last boss sequence, I never felt pressured for time in this.

The dark aether atmosphere just does considerable damage in your first armor and you get the dark suit very early in the game. Also, you could easily replenish energy by waiting in the light spots.

The Boost Ball boss is a better scenario, but even then the dmg from the atmosphere was the least of my problems. At this points I already had the dark suit and a good number of energy tanks. Since the boss spawned a lot of minions, they kept me well recovered for the fight.

My biggest complaint in this mode was that fights took way too long. Thus, the last escape sequence and boss fight was actually a challenge this time.

Opa-Pa

Wow somehow I missed OutRun. That and Super Hang On are great at this.

Another game that comes to mind is Digimon World for PS1. It's a monster raising game where you have to recover a town's former glory by bringing back digimon who deserted and find out the reason they did. You do this exploring the island and completing quests or straight up beating them up.

39-capture_10052011_222557.png

The thing is that your digimon has a limited lifespan and once it dies (whether due to age or losing three battles), you receive an egg with a baby digimon to raise so you essentially start the process all over again (they do inherit the skill tree). The game tells you about it but there's no way to track how much time left it has (it's consistent tho, so once you figure it out you can keep track with the in game clock and calendar), so you want to explore, train and fight to progress as much as you can before your monster dies, all while making sure to treat it well (you have to take it to the bathroom and feed it accordingly) and not to push it too hard because it affects their lifespans too.

It sounds super punishing and no fun at all, and I know most people drop it after their first monster dies, but it creates a pretty cool situations where you want to know the fastest routes, know the NPCs schedules (the game has a day/night cycle) and want to plan what digimon to tackle next, because when they come back to the city they either unlock new quests and areas or start offering services. You want to upgrade the gym too to accelerate the training process and your digimon can evolve faster and you have more time to spend (fully evolved digimon live the longest too).

Another cool thing is that you can actually beat the game with just your starting digimon (which has a shorter lifespan than the average) if you know what you're doing, so as you can imagine there are some insane speedruns out there where people beat the game in a couple of hours without a fully evolved monster, it's nuts. And you can very feasibly finish it 100% with just two once you've figured out how evolutions work. OR you can take your time and do things at your own pace once you come into terms with the fact that you'll have to go through a few digimon cycles.

Damn this ended up too long, but seriously it's such a cool game when you get a hang of it. It gets a lot of bad rap due to how unfair it feels when your digimon dies too fast and you don't know why (most of the time is because they overwork them at the gym), but it's pretty clever and fun once you're past that. I somehow beat this when I was a kid and I've replayed it many times since then, and it never gets old thanks to how non linear it is. It's pretty similar to Majora's Mask now that I think about it, although with a much less broad appeal.

venomenon

XCOM 2. The limited turns made me really think about the tools at my disposal instead of just overwatching my way through the game, and it turned out to be a very satisfying experience.
Came to say this.
I never understood the harsh criticism towards this design choice at all. It was clearly for the better.

MoonFrog

I finished the game on Hypermode this time and, except for the last boss sequence, I never felt pressured for time in this.

The dark aether atmosphere just does considerable damage in your first armor and you get the dark suit very early in the game. Also, you could easily replenish energy by waiting in the light spots.

The Boost Ball boss is a better scenario, but even then the dmg from the atmosphere was the least of my problems. At this points I already had the dark suit and a good number of energy tanks. Since the boss spawned a lot of minions, they kept me well recovered for the fight.

My biggest complaint in this mode was that fights took way too long. Thus, the last escape sequence and boss fight was actually a challenge this time.

Just because you beat the timer, doesn't mean it isn't there constraining your fight. It also doesn't mean it isn't making you go from healthy bubble to healthy bubble.

Moreover, I know they tuned the boost guardian down between OG MP2 and trilogy. I don't know though if Hypermode is tighter tuned than OG HM though, but in OG HM I at least did die to the atmosphere a couple times as I had the boss almost dead.

Consider the Persona 4 example going around. It is easy as heck to get the dungeon done in the first 1-2 dungeon delves and to find a day you need less than others to do them in. The time limit still structure how you play the game.

I appreciate what they tried to do and still liked the game in spite of it, but damn the dark aether was no fun at all. My favorite things from Prime 1 was exploring pretty environments at my own pace and getting excited to backtrack and try my new power ups in previous areas, but the sequel has half of the game look the same all while draining your HP constantly. It sucked, I think it's the only Metroid game I've liked that I don't really want to replay ever again because of that.

Ironically tho, it has my favorite escape sequence in the series, with a cool remix and all. So cool.
have you never replayed prime 2? its usually alot better the 2nd time you play through it

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
the_club_header.jpg

This was a surprisingly awesome game, and when 50 Cent BOTS followed in its footsteps it made it a better game for it.

The Club is banned in Germany, the day after the ban me and a friend where in a games store, they gave the game away for free to anyone who was around :D

We played it for like fife minutes tops, I still have my sealed copy.

Top Bottom