• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that scare

34y4nsk.jpg

HE HAS SEEN YOU

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
The strange music and that eerie bell/chime sound in the haunted house type dungeons in Secret of Mana used to creep me out. Not scary or anything just creepy.

master15

Scullibundo said:
Also select parts in Shenmue II in the Yellow Head Bldg.

Really? There was some uneasy music when you defeat Yuan but that's all I really have.

And apart from Resident Evil (remake which was my first Resident Evil experience) scarring me. The most scared I've got playing a game is in Metal Gear Solid 2 after
Raiden is naked

The messages you get on your codec from Colonel scared me because it was breaking down the 4th wall and got a big WTF from me.

Rufus

Aristotlekh said:
A couple parts of Eternal Darkness freaked me out to the point where I couldn't keep playing it.

Most notably, those things that burrowed into your chest and made you their suit disturbed me so much that I quit playing for like a month. Don't know if I was overreacting or not. But dang. Especially when it was dark and you couldn't see them until they were really close and you heard the bone-crunching.
Same here, I always went straight for the heads, and fast, because I wanted these ****ers off the screen as soon as I saw them.

Some dungeons in Zelda: ALttP freaked me out as a kid, so much that I just didn't want to go there. The gloomy music did it.

CorwinB

Condemned. First time I tried it with 5.1 sound and some creep sneaked behind me was pretty traumatic. :)

RE1 was scary too, in its own way.

painey

the original HL when it first came out, then I bought HL2 and played through HL1 no problems.. but then HL2 scared me :lol and my worst is RE2.. it put me off RE games for life

Bloodwake

The original Half-Life.

Seriously, that game (and the sequel in some parts) has some times where the atmosphere is just awesome, and then a ****ing headcrab leaps out of nowhere, doing jump scares that shitty horror films can only dream about doing.

Though from the sound of it, I really need to play Eternal Darkess.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's a shame that modern HDTVs are making it more difficult to create a scary game. The lack of "CRT darkness" really hurts the atmosphere of these games.

Cdammen

Bloodwake said:
Though from the sound of it, I really need to play Eternal Darkess.
I'm usually scared shitless by almost anything horror related but this game wasn't scary at all. The "sanity" effects did only annoy. But hey, if you think that Edgar Allan Poe stories are frightening then maybe you'll jump or feel discomfort playing this :)

As a 9 year old wuss, Simon's Quest consistently scared the crap out of me. So much so that I barely made it past the first castle and couldn't progress after that.

A horrible night to have a curse indeed.....

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Suprised noone has mentioned it.

Silent Hill 3, the mirror room.

Rufus

disappeared said:
I guess one could say that if you want your mind raped, play Silent Hill 1-3.
And that's why I stay away from those games. I would actually like to play them, but I know I couldn't finish them. :lol
I didn't even play through the demo of Silent Hill 3...

I vote for System Shock 2 (damn monkeys) but also the first Gabriel Knight, while not downright scary, it was creepy as hell.

clive barker's undying. up until after the first boss. utter terror.

undying02-02007.jpg

shame on no one else for mentioning it.

i always remember one part. i'd just come back from the west wing of the house (i think).

you go over there to get the key for the kitchen door that lets you out into the gardens. when you get the key you get pulled into this alternate dimension for a while and when you make it back to this dimension back you get chased by these weird cthulhu esque enemies that can only be killed in one specific way that the game doesn't teach you.

they chase you all the way back to the kitchen pretty much, though not into it. i remember that a door that had been locked before was now knocked off it's hinges. i peered through and saw steps leading down into a misty basement.

i then said '**** that' and went outside into the nice sunlit garden. the game didn't need you to go down there it turns out, so i wasn't going down there.

pringles

"The Cradle" in Thief: Deadly Shadows is one of the creepiest levels ever made. It's pretty surprising in a game that isn't scary at all up to that point.

Breakdown. Only one part though.

When that guy is chasing you and you have to open the door and he's right there breathing down your neck and the door takes like ten years to open. But that was more stressfull than scary.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
pringles said:
"The Cradle" in Thief: Deadly Shadows is one of the creepiest levels ever made. It's pretty surprising in a game that isn't scary at all up to that point.
Yeah, that was extremely scary. It also brings to light my point about CRT monitors. I first played that on a CRT and it was extremely dark. I felt as if I needed to squint just to see and it was fantastic. On an LCD, however, the whole area is washed out and bright in comparison. The fear factor is crushed by it.

The marine levels in Aliens vs Predator. Having that damn radar, knowing aliens were nearby, but being unable to see them because the levels took place in almost complete darkness. The aliens were fast as hell, and could traverse walls and ceilings. It legitimately freaked me out, it really did.

avpf012.jpg

BCD2 said:
The marine levels in Aliens vs Predator. Having that damn radar, knowing aliens were nearby, but being unable to see them because the levels took place in almost complete darkness. The aliens were fast as hell, and could traverse walls and ceilings. It legitimately freaked me out, it really did.

AvP > AvP2

no question.

randomised enemy placement in a horror game is a very very evil thing.

i loved it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3 was absolutely firghtening. Well executed atmosphere.

Silent Hill and Fatal Frame certainly.

Friday the 13th on NES. Jason's sudden sprite appearance with the wretchingly LOUD soundbyte loop was excrutiating.

7th Guest scared me shitless as a young lad, but it's probably silly by today's standards.

aniki

Ravenholm in Half-Life 2 - I was very tense the whole way through. The bit with
the headcrab zombie in the cage hooked up to the flammable gas
really made my blood run cold the first time.

Playing in the dark with headphones turned up will do that to me.

I thought REmake on the Gamecube was well creepy too. There's a window in one of the back corridors with a zombie at it, but all you can see is his shadow on the wall when the lightning strikes. He never burst through, but I was always expecting him to.

master15

aniki said:
There's a window in one of the back corridors with a zombie at it, but all you can see is his shadow on the wall when the lightning strikes. He never burst through, but I was always expecting him to.

I'm certain the zombie breaks through I think before you kill the plant moster or maybe after the Shark tank bit outside.

Either way you could see his shadow and he would sometimes tap on the window which used to freak me out, until he finally broke through :lol

Playing Fatal Frame 2 (XB version in First-Person) is one of the scariest experiences I've ever had. No other game I've played has ever given me as much scare-factor.

Other scary games though:
Eternal Darkness
Silent Hill 1 and 2
REmake
System Shock 2
Thief series
Condemned

Top Bottom