• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that took you too long to realize they suck.

You grow up and Square Enix regressed. When you meet up again you realize that they peaked in High School and you're just getting good at being an adult.

The game was so bad I couldn't even get mad, because I was upset with myself for mid categorizing the company itself.

So true. If there was ever a game company/series I have been a "fanboy" of, it was Final Fantasy. I really hope FFXVI redeems them. They seem to be getting it back together w/ FFXIV.

Scooby Doo No GIF

Last edited:

iQuasarLV

Aside from the Ni No Kuni game.

What the last generation (XBO, PS4) opened my eyes to is what I think a lot of this thread is touching on but not exploring. We are of a generation where we are not the targeted audience anymore, probably everyone is over the age of 25. I see a lot of sequels in the hate list, and rightfully so. What I realized is that I hate, HATE, any game that has moved on from me.

Dragon Age: Inquisition
Mass Effect: Adnromeda
MGS: 4, 5
Assassin's Creed III and newer
Final Fantasy XV (and most likely XVI because SE cant help themselves)
TLOU 2
Baldur's Gate 3 (not sure yet on this one but I am struggling to enjoy it, not a good sign)

Are all generation-ally a departure from the audience we were when the previous games came out. Now the studios are pandering to the next generation that, in a majority, doesn't think like us or have the same mores as us culturally. Now we latch on to games that bring back that feeling of they-get-me in their presentation.

Witcher 3
God of War (PS4)
Cyberpunk 2077
Mass Effect 1
Dragon Age: Origins ( i still play this)
Final Fantasy 7 (PS1 1997)
Planescape Torment

I am sure that if people were to look at the games they hate and love they would see this gap in lost identity. Where sequels pumped out every 2 years or generation began to become more detached for us identifying with them. It is as though every 5, 10 years or so the studios dump us as used goods and court the newest 18 year old hotness that has just become of legal age. I wish I could better articulate this in a more academic a-ha type of description. I just feel that my taste as I have gotten older have changed and what I enjoy now is becoming more and more rare of a breed of game.

Last edited:

Hugare

I've just deleted Days Gone from my console for the 5h time

I've tried so hard to like it but couldnt get past the first 3h of the game

Boooring game, holy fuck. 3h in and I was still getting tutorial messages for simple shit, and nothing moved storywise.

Bought a PS4 Pro so I thought "maybe with improved graphics I can move past that section where I always drop the game"

Nope, so mindless boring that I couldnt

kevm3

RDR 2. Arguably the most beautiful game of its generation, amazingly detailed world... but the controls are flat out awful. Fun was sacrificed for a more 'realistic' approach. Riding horses isn't even fun because it's so easy to get knocked off. It's great at simulating real life, but as a game, it was a crawl.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I've just deleted Days Gone from my console for the 5h time

I've tried so hard to like it but couldnt get past the first 3h of the game

Boooring game, holy fuck. 3h in and I was still getting tutorial messages for simple shit, and nothing moved storywise.

Bought a PS4 Pro so I thought "maybe with improved graphics I can move past that section where I always drop the game"

Nope, so mindless boring that I couldnt
Did you try with Gyro aiming? I haven't played it yet at all.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Fallout 4 for me. I was so excited to play a new Fallout game that I overlooked all of the flaws, mundane story, and uninteresting characters until I was a good 15-20 hours in. I realized I was bored and forcing myself to play.

I was able to salvage much of the gameplay with mods in a last ditch attempt to finish it, but I play Fallout games for the story and NPCS as I do the gameplay, and you can't fix the former with mods.

Hugare

Did you try with Gyro aiming? I haven't played it yet at all.
Gameplay is ok, great even. Shooting feels good, easy to do headshots.

But the first 3h are a bore. It tries to make you feel comfortable with the gameplay loop (destroy a nest, take out a bandit camp and etc.) but without no meaningful context. It already feels like work 3h in.

It's like a Far Cry game, you know? Mediocre storytelling with gameplay loop repeating at ad eternum

Zimmy68

Suck is a strong word.
I would say it took me a long time to realize that Red Dead Redemption 2 was just boring and not as fun as I wanted.
The same thing for Last of Us 2, it was just too long.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
GTA 3.
Yeah, I know. Really, really tried to like it for a full week. But I never got any fun from it, not one bit.
Not trying to be edgy here, the game just didn’t click no matter how hard I tried.

Snake00

Death Stranding
Played it for like 20 hours because I'm a Kojima fan. Even though I kinda liked the core gameplay, it wasn't good enough to carry the badly written characters and horrible bossfights.

Star Wars Fallen Order
Outer Worlds

P. S: someone mentioned BOTW, lol
A) Pump the breaks there, backwards dracula.
B) I'm STILL having a hard time wrapping my head around how not good the Outer Worlds was. Just weird that they had everything in place for lightning in a bottle and couldn't make it happen...

royox

Final Fantasy XV. During all the game I wasn't paying attention to all the plot holes cause I was 100% everything would be explained near the end with an amazing plot twist....then the game ended and I felt stupid for losing 40 hours of my life in that incomplete piece of shit of a game. And then they announced dlcs and Multiplayer and a Royal Edition to put more salt on the wound. Fuck this game.

TLZ

Banned
Panzer Dragoon. Didn’t care for it on the Saturn. Tried
the Sega Ages version. Bought the remake. Then it dawned on me, I don’t like this game. Why do I keep buying it?
Buying into someone else's hype? Or fomo?

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it sucks necessarily (It was a good time at first) but I felt like my time could be spent better elsewhere after hundreds of hours on Destiny. It just felt like I was a hamster running on a wheel after a while. Replaying the same content over and over again, and I was not having fun anymore.

Sleepwalker

Uncharted 3. The first 10 chapters were a snooze fest or I felt indifferent to what I was playing. By the time I was near the end, I realized haven't had much fun playing it at all really.

This but with Last of us 2.

Also every FIFA game since 2017 lol.

A) Pump the breaks there, backwards dracula.
B) I'm STILL having a hard time wrapping my head around how not good the Outer Worlds was. Just weird that they had everything in place for lightning in a bottle and couldn't make it happen...
I'm also wondering this. Maybe because it's not open-world game? I've had almost zero interest to explore the map because it felt small, claustrophobic even.

jaysius

Banned
RDR 2 jesus, RDR1 was my game of that generation, I kept playing wait for the good part, but it never came.

R* are the best at overhyped disappointments.

Death stranding was such a hollow experience it hurt me to get thru the whole thing.
You are quite literally doing the same fetch quest over and over and over and over, always ending in the exact same room.
This should have been a prototype for a more thought out gameplay experience.

Burnttips

Super Mario Odyssey was pure shit all the way through. I played it to get to the city part and boy that was the biggest piece of shit ever. My than 7 year old daughter wanted nothing to do with that awful pos and I had to finish it myself.

Top Bottom