• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games We Use to Benchmark...Gaming

We tend to use games of the past to represent the progression of advancement in modern gaming.

Generational Leaps:
  • Super Mario 64
  • Doom
Graphical Leaps:
  • Crysis
  • Half Life
Gameplay Leap:
  • Final Fantasy
Story telling:
  • Shenmue
Demographic:
  • Tetris
What are some other games that you think we tend to use to gauge the progression of gaming?

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
GTA. From top to bottom in 16 years.

gta1screenshotpc.jpg

56491-2013-12-22-02.png

maxresdefault.jpg

hyperbertha

The only leaps seems to be happening in graphics sadly. Good storytelling in games was far more widespread many years ago. Gameplay in many cases has even devolved. We all know the culprits. Exceptions like Nintendo and From software are presenting older concepts in fresh ways. That's about it.

Goldeneye 007 - brought FPS games to the console in a viable and fun way and introduced splitscreen multiplayer

Halo Combat Evolved - Brought the modern console FPS control scheme to the mainstream, and also began the trend of only 2 weapons

God of War - Pretty much brought the modern hack and slash action adventure game into the mainstream.

Call of Duty 2 - Made the $60 price point for console video games common, and made regenerating health the norm in FPS games.

Gears of War - Pretty much standardized the way third person cover shooters worked

WellSheet

Resident Evil 4 - the OTS viewpoint and the action-movie pace really affected and influenced many of the games we see today in terms of set pieces, structural design in enemy encounters etc.

Uncharted 2 - building off what I said about RE4, this game took narrative and character development to a new place for games. The cinematic flourish and attention to detail, even 10 plus years on, is still basically in a league of its own.

Bioshock - while there have been plenty of immersive sims predating the original Bioshock - system shock 2 its closest comparison overall - I feel this the game that finds the near-perfect balance of the immersive sim, straight up FPS, and amazing narrative/storytelling. In that regard, I think it created a unique and, still to this day, unrivaled cross-point for FPS games.

Demon’s Souls/Dark Souls - what needs to be said?

Abear21

Banned
Gameplay/Boss Fights—Shadow of the Colossus-Who doesn’t like to fight enormous enemies in a game environment unlike we’ve ever seen. Watch out for that jump, the frame-rate increases gravity x 10! I kid bc I love.

Gameplay/Stealth—Metal Gear Solid-Pure genius game design that spawned a new genre on consoles

Racing—Daytona USA/Virtual Racing-great arcade racers that took it took the Outrun formula the next level.

Couch Co-op/Multiplayer on console—Goldeneye. If you didn’t have a PC back then you were playing this.

Sports—NFL2k—Some argue still a high water mark for an American Football game.

I could go on but these were huge for me.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Gameplay:

Portal
Gears of War
Minecraft
MOBA
Souls games
Battle Royale

Storytelling:

Heavy Rain