• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the 2 main characters are in an established relationship?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So much not reading of the OP, makes me sad.

Maybe Xenogears qualifies, to a weird extent. :p
Fei and Elly don't know each others and become a couple later in the game but they uh knew each others in past lives and shit... it's weird.

I think I quit about 15 hours in. When does this happen?
Does the girl who died come back from the dead or something? :eek:
Would that really surprise you? I stopped playing too, but I knew she wasn't dead the second they failed to show her corpse. So obvious.

Lingitiz

Geralt and Triss in The Witcher 2. They even disregard the other love interest from the first game and make Triss the Canon LI.

bioniccommando.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
There are two primary protagonists

How can a non-playable character be a protagonist of the game?

I don't think every protagonist necessarily has to be playable. The only criteria here is that both characters have to have relatively equal importance to the game's story. That's harder if one of them isn't playable but not impossible. Like an AI-controlled partner that sticks around for the whole game would work. Like a Yorda (ICO) or an Elika (PoP 2008).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't think every protagonist necessarily has to be playable. The only criteria here is that both characters have to have relatively equal importance to the game's story. That's harder if one of them isn't playable but not impossible. Like an AI-controlled partner that sticks around for the whole game would work. Like a Yorda (ICO) or an Elika (PoP 2008).
Hmm I really couldn't agree there. Yorda as co-protagonist of ICO? No way.

wmlk

So much not reading of the OP, makes me sad.

Maybe Xenogears qualifies, to a weird extent. :p
Fei and Elly don't know each others and become a couple later in the game but they uh knew each others in past lives and shit... it's weird.

I always find that kind of relationship tacky, even though I loved Gears. Felt predetermined and inevitable.

It took away whatever tension there was.

Pikmin 3. Brittney & Alph
and Charlie and Olimar and Louie and The President

Link & Zelda in Spirit Tracks.

Isn't there a mickey mouse game where you play as mickey and minnie?

Eagle and Sami in Advance Wars (Well, you don't play as Eagle in AW1 but in AW2 and AWDS they become playable throughout the campaigns)

Aiai and Meemee in Super Monkey Ball. Baby is their child from the future, apparently.

Mephala

How about Joshua and Estelle in Trails in the Sky?
Their love begins as the family kind for Estelle while Joshua is in love with Estelle pretty much from the beginning. They are not actually related for those wondering, Joshua was taken into the family when he was a kid.

levyjl1988

Banned
It seems like most games want things to build throughout their fame hence relationship. Getting to the middle of it seems rare and expected in sequels.

Diddy and Dixie Kong.
group_dkc2_07_595.png

As I stated in another thread, Diddy and Dixie are like a young couple who struggle in a big dangerous world.
Also in DKC3 Dixie is like a young mother who struggles to carry the weight of a baby (that's why Kiddy is way bigger than her). While her husband is working, she have to carry out things alone.

pantsmith

Pikmin 3. Brittney & Alph
and Charlie and Olimar and Louie and The President

Link & Zelda in Spirit Tracks.

Isn't there a mickey mouse game where you play as mickey and minnie?

Eagle and Sami in Advance Wars (Well, you don't play as Eagle in AW1 but in AW2 and AWDS they become playable throughout the campaigns)

Aiai and Meemee in Super Monkey Ball. Baby is their child from the future, apparently.

The_great_circus_mystery_starring_mickey_%26_minnie_north_american_snes_front_cover.jpg

Hah! Totally forgot, but yeah. The entire game is co-op, and really great for what it was.

Begaria

Justin and Feena:
grpsn_top.jpg

Not quite what the OP was going for. Justin and Feena fall in love during the course of the game. OP is looking for established couples.

Something closer to what the OP would be looking for is Fei and Elly from Xenogears. Sort of. They're not in an established in a relationship at the beginning of the game, but, if you think about it, they kinda are.

Top Bottom