• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the 2 main characters are in an established relationship?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
bioniccommando.jpg

fuck me

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Let's see if Assassin's Creed Syndicate gets kinky with the twins...
Technically speaking, these two
tumblr_nd1b5oG4WR1tilsclo5_500.gif

Are brother and sister via adoption by today's standards. And aside from the ten minute childhood segment, they are shown as a couple.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Not quite what the OP was going for. Justin and Feena fall in love during the course of the game. OP is looking for established couples.

Something closer to what the OP would be looking for is Fei and Elly from Xenogears. Sort of. They're not in an established in a relationship at the beginning of the game, but, if you think about it, they kinda are.

What a shame. Established couples is going to make this a slow thread.

That's what I get for posting half asleep too.
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Mononoke

Banned
OP is right. There is a big opening for a creactor to make a unique game based on this dynamic. Imagine Joel and Ellie but with two people in a relationship instead. The kind of banter and dynamic that could exist. As well as the plot dealing with their relationship and the stresses put on it as a result of the main narrative that you are progressing.

Granted, I think that kind of writing would need nuance.

SomTervo

Jackie and Jenny in The Darkness.

This is an excellent answer and one of the few true answers in this thread

Nicole & George in the Broken Sword series

I just started playing the first game for the first time and they are most certainly not in a relationship at the beginning of the game. Thanks for spoiling it.

Technically speaking, these two
tumblr_nd1b5oG4WR1tilsclo5_500.gif

Are brother and sister via adoption by today's standards. And aside from the ten minute childhood segment, they are shown as a couple.

Good answer too. Their relationship was pretty well handled, didn't like the late game events much though. Plot is usual AC garbage even if the characterisation is usual AC decency

So far these are the only 100% valid examples (excluding games I haven't played, which are few):

Tyrande and Malfurion in Warcraft 3, sort of.
They're married and frontline characters in an ensemble cast.

Cecil and Rosa in Final Fantasy IV.

[Joe and Silvia] Shame on all of you for forgetting this one.

As for the others:

Metal Gear Solid 2! Raiden and Rose.

Yeah, I loved playing as Rose. >_>

Maybe Xenogears qualifies, to a weird extent. :p
Fei and Elly don't know each others and become a couple later in the game but they uh knew each others in past lives and shit... it's weird.

At first I was like "what" but then it hit me (in my defense, before reading the spoiler); well done. It's debatable to what extent
they are the same characters, considering they don't keep their memories or bodies
, though.

Would that really surprise you? I stopped playing too, but I knew she wasn't dead the second they failed to show her corpse. So obvious.

Heh, it's a bit more complicated than that. Keep playing, really: it's the best JRPG of this decade and when the plot hits its stride it's a hell of a ride. Skip all sidequests.

Hmm I really couldn't agree there. Yorda as co-protagonist of ICO? No way.

It doesn't matter anyway: they are not in a relationship, and especially not "from the start of the game". Hell, they have never met when the game starts.

Link & Zelda in Spirit Tracks.

Zelda has never been in a romantic relationship with Link, and Spirit Tracks is no exception.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
PoP is about the Prince and Elika falling in love though. They don't start in an established relationship.

Right. I meant that if they WERE in a relationship, this would have counted as having a game with 2 main characters where one is not playable.

nakedeyes

Banned
Chaos Rings on iOS!

One of the cooler aspects of those games. If you can get them on a random sale ( happens almost never though :) ) They are actually pretty fun little RPGs, if a little mindless / repetitive.

Saw a few people say Cecil and Rosa, but those two were not in an established relationship at the beginning of the game. The early dialogue makes it very clear that they both harbour romantic feelings for each other, but cannot be together due to circumstances.

Conveniently resolved on Mt. Ordeals.

Tifa and Cloud
do sleep together under the Highwind, so there's that
But Cloud and Tifa aren't an established couple in the beginning of the game. Hell, they weren't even really sweethearts as children, just friends(to which Cloud felt more for her at the time). Their relationship grew over the course of the adventure, sure it wouldn't count by the OP's standards.

OP is right. There is a big opening for a creactor to make a unique game based on this dynamic. Imagine Joel and Ellie but with two people in a relationship instead. The kind of banter and dynamic that could exist. As well as the plot dealing with their relationship and the stresses put on it as a result of the main narrative that you are progressing.

Granted, I think that kind of writing would need nuance.

We don't yet exist in a world where two empowered characters can love each other in fiction. Lots of (stupid) men see equal relationships as emasculating, and there are plenty of (crazy) people who argue that a woman is automatically dis-empowered if she loves a man.

Hence why there's so much overlap between "strong female characters" and asexual/lesbian/bisexual leads. Unfortunately, this leads to a lot of straight tomboys feeling iffy about their fashion sense in real life.

Don't Marcus and Anya technically count? I may be misremembering but I think they were always in a relationship, and while Anya wasn't playable until Gears 3, it still seems relevant.
gears-anya-marcus-01.jpg

Ralemont

not me
This is a tough topic, most seem to "flirt" during the journey more than anything.

From Ortho's thread:

Odin Sphere - Gwendolyn and Oswald
tumblr_n96iyawfEn1s4smafo9_500.gif

I like this one for the opposite of the above to some extent ---- it's just so damn "Shakespearean" (the way they talk is certainly one way in this). I'm a girl, and I'll be damned if I don't 'swoon' a bit with that love at first sight sort of story, but it's made even more admirable than Oswald really trying to turn things around for her and find a way to make her love him without any use of force and complete trust and love from her (despite asking for her as a reward for his service to her father). Anyways, this does fit the OPs list, they are married and all.

StoneFox

There are so many more pre-established relationships if you lose the main character stipulation...

Solaire and The Sun
Wander and Mono
Freya and Fratley
Lulu and Chappu

etc I guess main characters are more unique when it happens though.

There are so many more pre-established relationships if you lose the main character stipulation...

Solaire and The Sun
Wander and Mono
Freya and Fratley
Lulu and Chappu

I think both have to be main characters. If it was one main character and the other romantic interest was a non-main NPC, the list would be considerably massive. I mean, at first I was going to put Ashley and Marina of Wild ARMs 2, a couple I thought was a breath of fresh air, since any other JRPG would've shipped Ashley with Lilika(because the main hero and heroine tend to get paired off... as so the romance gods dictate). It was refreshing to see a hero who was already in a relationship(they lived together, if I recall), and from my recollection, Lilika was sweet on another character(a schoolmate). I love that type of thing.

Though, regarding already established couples, weren't Alex and Luna a couple in the beginning of Lunar: Silver Star? She was already acting like his wife.

ZealousD

Solaire and The Sun
Wander and Mono
Freya and Fratley
Lulu and Chappu

The main character stipulation exists for a reason. By making it the two main characters in a relationship, a significant part of the game's story can focus on their relationship and what that relationship really means to those characters. Essentially, we're looking for a game where the relationship can be one of the key emotional anchors to the game's story.

-If the main character just happens to be in a relationship with a supporting character, than the game is not sufficiently exploring that relationship. It's just part of that character's backstory. It's not a story about that relationship.
-If the main character is in a relationship with another character that becomes the goal (like the damsel in distress trope), it's still ultimately a story about the hero's journey.
-If the main character is merely in the beginning stages of romantic involvement, it becomes a story about falling in love and starting a relationship, not about being in love and living through a relationship. These are different things.
-If both characters in the established relationship are supporting or side characters, then they are not a significant part of the game's story and the game will not need to explore their relationship.

What I'm actually driving at is that we actually have very few games where we just have two characters who are in a relationship and are having to deal with what that really means. We have characters falling in love all the time, but we rarely have characters who are in love and working through their relationship. It's like it's a type of narrative that the game industry is actively avoiding, or at the very least seems to have no interest in pursuing. And I think it's a potential type of story that could be very unique and compelling.

AC:Unity gets really, really close to what I'm looking for here. If Elise just had a bit more involvement...

Damn it OP. This thread made me think about Prince of Prussia (2008). Now I want to play it.

Ay29K.jpg

ZealousD

You know GAF, all these joke posts and nobody brought up Army of Two.

Kinda disappointed.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
second half of Lufia 2?

Maxim and Selan don't start out in a relationship but so much time passes in that game that by that midpoint they are married and have a child and the game goes from there. Even the ending is
a married couple sacrificing themselves to save their child

Top Bottom