• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where you get to play as a final boss character?

Seyavesh

i was thinkin' of this while having the neo granzon from super robot wars stuck in my head. you get it in the last few stages of the DLC for the latest original generation game, and boy howdy does it deliver on that overwhelming power that you get from good final bosses.
normally it's a final boss enemy in other SRWs so having it playable and super broken while evoking that final boss level crazy power is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJMTapMJkO0

however, i'm trying to think of other games that let you play as the final boss from the game or previous series at their 'final boss' level and am coming up blank besides vergil in DMC3 and DmC.

and i guess most fighting games since they usually have their bosses playable through some code or through stuff like gold chars in guilty gear.

does anyone got any other examples of this stuff?

temporary party members that have wack stats don't count- i don't wanna see no dang ghaleon or sephiroth or that dumb guy that dark force pretends to be in phantasy star 4!

Zukuu

Banned
If memory serves right:
BreathOfFireIV_PSXBOX_US.jpg

You kind of play the story of both and swap main characters at various points in the game, so it's far more than "temporary whack stats".

Also, indirectly:

BradC00

Gears 3 had a DLC based around the final boss of the first gears I think. Don't think you played the last level of gears one.

You could say that the Valkyre Profile games does this.
VP2 Spoiler,
Lezzard is kinda the last boss of the first game, and he is in your party for most of vp2

FluxWaveZ

This isn't what you mean from your examples, but I think it first what you're talking about perfectly from a conceptual level:

Undertale -
Genocide route. You essentially play as the 'final boss' in that playthrough in so many ways, going as far as to face an "awakened hero" who represents the will of all living things to take you down.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 allows you to play Galactus in a special mode.
Marvel Ultimate Alliance had Doctor Doom, the main villain of the game, playable as DLC (and it's explained with some time travel plot).

Verder

during the time where sephiroth slayed fucking ERRYTHING in the Nibelheim Flashback

oh man that part will be intense in the Remake

edit- i wish i really got to play as him for most of the damn game

MAtgS

Kingdom_Hearts_358-2_Days_Boxart_NA.png

The Mission Mode let you as 19 different characters, some of whom were final bosses in different games in the series: Xenmas from KH2, Marluxia from Chain of Memories, Xion & Riku from Days itself, & Roxas in Coded.

SSB4_Logo.png

Bowser, Ganondorf, & King Dedede off the top of my head. I guess DK too.

EDIT: The entire poke'mon series. Charizard can count as another in SSB to players that chose Bulbasaur as their starter.

Not final boss per se, but Daud from Dishonored: The knife of Dunwall was pretty good.

Now technically, Daud is the "final" boss of Dishonored as he is the only real boss fight.

Korigama

Tales of Xillia 2
has the final boss duo of Gaius and Muzét from ToX1 as regular members of the main party

FluxWaveZ

From a more literal perspective, some Custom Robo game must have been able to let the players use the parts of the boss robo.

SPOILERS ABOUND!!!!!

YAR BE WARNED!!!!!

Revan is my answer, but I didn't read the entire god-forsaken thread....

Although you never fight Malak's boss, you fight Malak as the final

Multro

Neo Member
You can play as Ryuji Goda, the last boss of Yakuza 2 in Yakuza Dead Souls. Though non canon, still really great.

Xenus

If memory serves right:

You kind of play the story of both and swap main characters at various points in the game, so it's far more than "temporary whack stats".

Even more so...
You can choose to reunite with him at the end and become an unstoppable death machine that kills what used to be your party.

No More Heroes 2

Henry Motherfucking Cooldown

Yup. It was so beautiful because of how the fight was in the first game.

He also had that sweet dash from that fight as well.

Henry again breaks the fourth wall and also trolls you like he did at Rank 4. Only a single, very fun boss fight. I respect the level of troll.

MGS4
Piloting REX on Shadow Moses. One of my favorite moments in the series.

I guess not technically the final boss of MGS1, but it felt grander than the shit with Liquid that followed.

Golnei

Ashnard is a bonus character in FE9 - though the series has done similar things with other antagonists like Lyon in FE8; usually the final boss is too dragon-y to be a playable unit. Also, Lucifer serves as the final boss in several SMT games; as well as being a usable Persona and recruitable in one of the Gameboy spinoffs.

Dragon's Dogma.
In new game plus, the final boss is your character from your first save.

Nier, Fire Emblem Awakening and Xenoblade arguably qualify under that as well.

FFVII, briefly.
temporary party members that have wack stats don't count- i don't wanna see no dang ghaleon or sephiroth or that dumb guy that dark force pretends to be in phantasy star 4!

You get to play as Himekaidou Hatate after beating her in Double Spoiler. As you progress through the game through her perspective, you battle your previous playable character instead at the end of her route.

specdot

during the time where sephiroth slayed fucking ERRYTHING in the Nibelheim Flashback

oh man that part will be intense in the Remake

edit- i wish i really got to play as him for most of the damn game
Gotta spoiler tag that meng. I know the game is almost 20 years old (yikes), but there are some players that are just experiencing it for the first time.

Came in to mention Breath of Fire 4, but I'm glad to see it's already been mentioned. I really enjoyed that perspective, and I'm a little surprised not more games have used it. It can't be because BoF4 already did it, because that game isn't that well known, and recycling ideas is the norm in the industry.

Top Bottom