• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with a strong sense of place (screenshots!)

Piano

Banned
I was looking through screenshots and videos of the new Mario Kart 8 DLC today, getting my socks totally knocked off, when I stopped to think about what it was that was impressing me so much, particularly with the track Ribbon Road. It's got some nice colors and art, sure, and the graphics are impressive, yes, but what truly sets it above and beyond most of the other tracks is that it has an unexpectedly strong sense of place. Check it out:
IGTOnov.jpg

It's wild! After watching a video of the whole track (click here) I was really taken aback by all of the thoughtful little details placed around. It creates an immensely believable sense of place. Really, quite a few of Mario Kart 8's tracks excel at this (Shy Guy Falls) but Ribbon Road looks like something above and beyond. It reminds of me of that idyllic playroom from Toy Story 3.

Either way, I was amazed that I was so sucked into the settings of a cart racer. Totally unexpected! So it got me thinking about other games that have really impressed me with their sense of place, and why. I'll give two other examples.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (with mods)

This seems like an obvious choice but I'm actually not talking about the main quest or the meat of the gameplay here, but rather the spontaneous and reactive bits of the gameworld.

Long after the hack, slash, loot gameplay got old and I got tired of the bad writing I found a lot of value in Skyrim as a world simulator. I never thought of it that way until I came across as mod called Alternate Start that gives you a bevy of places to start the game without having to deal with being the dragonborn and all of that. I found myself naturally roleplaying as these characters, acting within their limitations and trying to find ways to survive.

I'll describe one example. I played as a pauper alcoholic, an old man, whose only objective was to get drunk. I got a solid few hours of entertainment out of poking at the game world through this character's eyes. I wanted alcohol but I had no money. Clearly I had to either steal alcohol or money. Killing folks wasn't an option as I had no weapons, couldn't pay the fines and would lose in a fight against even common guards, plus my character wasn't out to hurt people, just get fucked up. I pickpocketed for a while before eventually being driven out of town. I managed to make it to the next town after outrunning some hostile wildlife where the cycle began anew. From what I remember I finally had to resort to punching someone in the bar, which escalated into a full on brawl and I had to go on the run into the wilderness only to get killed by a bear or something. It was a while ago.

In short, Skyrim gave me a strong sense of place because I was able to engage with the environment on a much smaller scale than being a god and SAVING THE WORLD. Instead I was just a pickpocket, or a hunter who went out every day looking for hides. It felt more like a real place instead of a generic fantasy killfloor.

L.A. Noire

Yes, I know this is a strange choice so give me a chance to qualify it.

I don't really consider L.A. Noire a good game. It's frustrating, it's repetitive, a lot of the gameplay elements are half baked (the driving) and the story derails in the last third. Still, I have very fond memories of part of my time with the game.

For just a few hours in the middle of the game, after I got to know the characters but before the repetition and frustration set in there was a real sense of believability. Sure, it was an illusion - there really was no interactivity at all in the world of L.A. Noire if you wandered even slightly off of the narrative path - but for just a few hours the illusion totally worked for me. Most of the game was talking to and empathizing with the world rather than shooting at it, and piecing through evidence at a crime scene and seeing hints of the lives of the victims felt distinctly human.

This was further helped by the beautifully rich setting of 1940s Los Angeles and the game's obsessive recreation of the look, sound and feel of that place. The streets, the buildings, the people were all believable. For those few blissful middle hours I really felt like I was a detective in the 40s. It was great.

Then you get further into the game and it becomes obvious how the game works and you see how every case unfolds the same etc etc - the criticism of the game has been done over and over again so I'll keep it out of this post.

So, what creates a sense of place?
First, the term itself. A sense of place. I view it as different than immersion because there are games I consider to be very immersive that didn't have a strong sense of place. Take Amnesia: The Dark Descent, for instance. That game was immersive as hell and really made me aware of my character's mortality ... but I really didn't find the castle it took place in that interesting and it wasn't an interesting setting to either take in or interact with. Gone Home could almost qualify, but it became apparent pretty early on what the limits of their budget were and the house felt more like a game level (or CS:GO map) than, you know, a house.

It's also not just a matter of great art. Super Mario Galaxy 2 has some absolutely stellar art and music and the game, one of my favorites of all time, totally sucked me in. Yet it doesn't bother establishing a sense of place. In fact, it does so even less than the other 3D Marios. Some of the few levels that did (Clockwork Ruins, for instance) were amongst my favorites.

Clearly it's not a particular setting, and things don't need to be realistic - I mean, my examples here are a cart racer, a fantasy game and a detective thriller. I did find some common elements, though:

+Strong art design and graphics. It's easy to see how this is important to creating a strong sense of place.
+Can do more in the world than just shoot at it. Even if you're prescribed just a few methods of interaction by the game I find the sense of place to be much stronger when it's not a backdrop for slaughter. That's why I didn't include BioShock: Infinite - while the first hour or so just oozes atmosphere and almost, almost makes Columbia believable
(maybe if the people weren't so wooden...)
that sense of place mostly evaporates once you're killing waves of clones.
+Unobtrusive HUD. Nothing like a HUD to get between you and your game. Notice all three examples have minimal HUDs or can have their HUDs turned off. Even MK8 has a wonderfully minimal HUD.

So what games have given you a strong sense of place? And what went into that feeling?
Post explanations! And screenshots, if you can.

Trumpets

The Metro games rely on their atmosphere and world building to draw the player in. Without that stuff the gameplay is pretty weak.

georly

Arkham Asylum made me feel like I was actually in gotham, in the asylum. All the little details, the joker spray paint, the poison ivy vines growing, the overgrown foliage, the layout of the multiple wards, the record rooms, the sewers underneath, the dilapidated foundations, you name it. It FELT like an asylum, but it also felt like one IN gotham.

Damerman

agreed with STALKER... the detail in the dilapidated buildings is still unmatched. high level of interaction and density and breadth. amazing level design in that game.

not only are they well done, but its simply the fact that it's well done that makes for some of the best firefights in video games(detailed AI notwithstanding).

EGM1966

ICO and SOTC.
Stalker
Alien Isolation
Deus Ex (original) and HR to lesser extent.
Oblivion and Skyrim
Dear Esther
System Shock 2

Piano

Banned
The Metro games rely on their atmosphere and world building to draw the player in. Without that stuff the gameplay is pretty weak.

Yeah, I gave up on Metro 2033 about 2/3rds of the way through because of the weak and frustrating gameplay. Atmosphere was ace, though.

Arkham Asylum made me feel like I was actually in gotham, in the asylum. All the little details, the joker spray paint, the poison ivy vines growing, the overgrown foliage, the layout of the multiple wards, the record rooms, the sewers underneath, the dilapidated foundations, you name it. It FELT like an asylum, but it also felt like one IN gotham.

Ooo, this has been in my backlog for a while, I'll have to check it out.

How so? Never played it.

Piano

Banned
Dark Souls and BLOODBORNE
Dark Souls is an interesting one, in that its one of the few games where the primary mode of interaction is killing yet the world felt, well, sort of REAL. I think the interlocking level designs had a lot to do with it, which is why Dark Souls II did not succeed in that area, in my opinion.

stilgar

Deus Ex : Hong Kong

The attention to every details of this game, the consistency of this level and its grittiness make it feel real like nothing else.
DeusEx2009-06-1315-41-09-62.jpg

Deus_Ex_Flowershop.jpg

rje

My favorite part about Yakuza's sense of place is the fact that Kamurocho is always present, and from game to game you have a large number of places that are similar but have evolved (new owners, Serena bar in its various states, kamurocho hills, millenium tower), and also the areas that stay fairly consistent (shops and shop locations, etc).

There's enough consistency that it feels like a return to a place that you know and have spent time in, but enough change to sell the passage of time.

Piano

Banned
My favorite part about Yakuza's sense of place is the fact that Kamurocho is always present, and from game to game you have a large number of places that are similar but have evolved (new owners, Serena bar in its various states, kamurocho hills, millenium tower), and also the areas that stay fairly consistent (shops and shop locations, etc).

There's enough consistency that it feels like a return to a place that you know and have spent time in, but enough change to sell the passage of time.

Interesting. I've never played a Yakuza game.

Gidim

Banned
I'd say give it a try, outside of some pacing issues and cliche story, their great beat 'em up open world RPG hybrids.

Though I think Yakuza 1 has aged poorly due to loading and strange English dub. Sadly we never got the Yakuza 1/2 HD collection on PS3 here in the states. You can always just start at 3, its pretty cheap.

Yakuza 5 is coming out soon digitally and that is the most ambitious title for the franchise so far.

Handy Fake

I think Majula in DS2 was probably the most striking area I've seen for years. For months I was trying to think what it reminded me of, then I remembered it was Stephen King's The Langoliers.

There was just such a sense of displacement and entropy. A land that's been removed from the timestream and left to desolation. It was both unbearably grim and absolutely wonderful.

Bandit1

I would have to second L.A. Noire.

3.jpg

The game has incredible attention to detail. All the cars are licensed and of the time, even brands that are now out of business like Packard and DeSoto. I remember searching a house for evidence and finding a box of Oxydol in the laundry room, which has very distinct black and yellow packaging. It blew me away because my Mom has a box like that for decoration that she found in an antique mall. The radio plays old songs from the 40s, Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby, and the Andrews Sisters, and if you listen long enough you might even catch Jack Benny doing a comedy skit. The clothes, the hairstyles, the architecture, the cars, the music, everything fits together to make L.A. Noire unmistakably 1940s and I love it. Sure the game has its faults, the driving is poor, the shooting isn't particularly good, the city doesn't offer much outside of the cases, but when you find those little things, like that box of Oxydol, it's wonderful.

It's totally worth starting from the beginning if you're able to. Ideally, everyone would get the Y1&2 HD collection, but even the localization of the first game is great. By the time you get to the most recent titles, you can really appreciate the character growth.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
boss_spore.gif

und-2.png

Super Metroid and SOTN both had an incredible sense of place. It's something that Metroidvania titles since have really lacked, and it's a big part of what made those games so memorable. There's so much mystery to each new area that you feel compelled to explore simply to see what's next.

God of War 3 probably has the strongest sense of place I've experienced in any modern game, the journey down to the underworld and back up the face of Mount Olympus is very well paced and visualized. You really feel less like you're on some esoteric journey that might change locales or themes entirely, and more like one cohesive trek through this seemingly seamless and well pieced together world.

Fat4all

Banned

The Yakuza series.

Not only does all of the games give you very interesting, highly detailed cities, but let you revisit them over multiple games to see what changes and where characters end up.

bomblord1

Banned
Fallout 3
feels so much like what it set out to be (a post apocoalyptic future as envisioned in the 1920's) that it's insane.
maxresdefault.jpg

Every last detail, the HUD, the various billboards, military propganda, every house, and every weapon just oozes personality. Every home you enter has a story you may come across a skeleton of two people in their beds letting you know they died sleeping when the nukes hit among items scattered around their house that tell a story. It's really impressive and it made exploration an absolute joy instead of a chore like a lot of open world games.

Gidim

Banned
A game I really liked was Alien: Isolation. I wasn't expecting Creative Assembly to go in and make everything look like people actually lived there. I thought it was just going to be corridors and typical Quake with pipes etc.

2414282-6.jpg

Piano

Banned
A game I really liked was Alien: Isolation. I wasn't expecting Creative Assembly to go in and make everything look like people actually lived there. I thought it was just going to be corridors and typical Quake with pipes etc.

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/917/9176928/2414282-6.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I really want to play this for the atmosphere but I've never seen Alien. [SPOILER]Yeah, I know, I know.[/SPOILER]

I know I shit on it earlier in the thread but I got thinking about [B]BioShock: Infinite[/B] again and man the atmosphere and setting at the beginning of the game held such promise. I wish I could just peacefully walk through the whole game again.

[QUOTE][img]http://i.imgur.com/3utlBlj.jpg
jZ05Dws.jpg

COk47ED.jpg

JsOPf6a.jpg

Even thought most people hate on it, I felt the opening of Twilight Princess did this very well. I love that little forest village area and all of the little touches: the pumpkin patch, the cats, the tiny bridge over the almost completely dry creek, the peaceful pasture on the hill. Then the music brings it all home.

Top Bottom