• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with shrinking?

CHC

Team Fortress Classic had the unforgettables "Rats" and "turkeyburgers" maps:

nXBeFyC.jpg
qPKvp7i.jpg

Also, Katamari Damacy. In most level you start out very very small and pick up objects like thumb tacks, erasers and paper clips to increase the size of your Katamari.

Watevaman

Prey had this in the form of mini-planets that you walked around on. They were always in cases, so you could look out the glass and see regular sized enemies.

aaaaaa

There's a browser game from a few years ago called Specter Spelunker Shrinks that takes this to an extreme. Shame that it doesn't seem to work any more.

Apoc29

Also, Katamari Damacy. In most level you start out very very small and pick up objects like thumb tacks, erasers and paper clips to increase the size of your Katamari.

Similarly in Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, you start small and keep growing bigger, in fact you retain your size after you beat a level and just keep growing from there.

Not sure if this counts, but in the last level of The Simpsons Hit and Run there's a secret car you can find that's an RC car. It doesn't show homer getting into it, but he shrinks down once inside and you can drive around the level in it.

Apathy

Wow engineers can make a world enlarger that shrinks them and they're is also one of the three effects you can get from noggenfogger elixir that shrinks you

Wonderland had shrinking that was thematic to the level, Ventus appearing in Cinderella's house shrunk dow while Aqua and Terra don't shrink in the same level, was incredibly out of place.

Makes no sense but I still liked it. Had more interesting level design than the rest of the worlds.

WX3

Possessing rats in Dishonored was really neat but I do not know if that would really fit in this threads topic?

MCN

Banned
Didn't one of the multiplayer modes in Timesplitters increase or decrease your size depending on your score?

JordanN

Banned
Thieves in time had missions using a R/C car.

eT2O5Zg.png

Also, technically the hacking levels count as shrinking too (you go inside a computer?)
YZ9mq3p.jpg

Blues1990

The Mini Mushroom in New Super Mario Bros. is an interesting power-up, as not only are you able to run across water, but you can also obtain access to secret exits that are otherwise unobtainable as Regular or Super Mario.

Blu(e)

I've been playing through Thief Gold recently and this room (on top of a rather fantastic level) came as a real surprise. Couldn't find a picture that really shows of the size of the room so here's a video.

there was that game where you could make things small by putting them through a big portal and out of a small one, even making yourself small... don't remember what it was called tho

Musolf815

Sly 3 made you feel like you were shrunk in the giant Carmelita level:

latest

Now that I think about it the game also had a shrink gadget that made the enemies.

Spacejaws

there was that game where you could make things small by putting them through a big portal and out of a small one, even making yourself small... don't remember what it was called tho

That sounds like Prey and is a great example.

Edit: Found a pic, you are shrunk through a portal to a a little rock inside a glass container. These dudes come in and check you out before comming through aswell.

prey-screen2.jpg

cireza

Sonic CD, Dynamite Headdy, Shining Force II.

Final Fantasy, Seiken Densetsu III, Mystaria : all have spells/effect that reduce character size.

tengiants

Pikmin, DQ VIII had a cool scene where you control a mouse, Chibi Robo is REALLY good at it, I am Bread. Sim Ant...

You don't really shrink in these games, but you do see the world from a mouse's perspective and I've always kinda liked them for that reason. The being small in a big world concept has always appealed to me.

Edit:

Duke Nukem Forever
duke-nukem-forever-screenshot.jpg

I remember this. This was really cool.

RawNuts

Does Toy Commander count? I really enjoyed that game. Big room levels are some of the coolest levels in games; sadly, there seems to be much less of them in games now.

Kenai

The Game in Fable 3 was one of the few parts of Fable 3 I enjoyed more than 2.

A trio of D&D type nerds hand you an orb that shrink your hero and you play through their tabletop game which now appears life size to you, complete with cardboard princess and villain but "real" monsters.. Really fun stuff.

Nottle

Mario 64 had the level where things are bigger depending on how you jump in the painting.
Final Fantasy has the mini status effect.
Mario Kart had the Lightning power that makes everyone small.
Earthbound has the lost dinosaur world where you are very tiny but I suppose that is just perspective.

Top Bottom