• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games with the worst lore?

mgs series turned into a mess but it's a welcome mess imo

the gaming world needs a Kojima for better or worse

I Stan for mgs2 I think it's more interesting than the dull fanservice of mgs3

Forkball

Kingdom Hearts. I've played KH 1 and 2, but hell the mainline games are merely the TIP OF THE ICEBERG in terms of story. I have no idea what the hell is happening. I don't even know what Kingdom Hearts actually is. It's like that door? Into somewhere? What is everyone even trying to do?

MGS V makes me want to ignore all games set before MGS I, which is ironic since MGS 3 has a pretty straight forward and coherent story.

And sometimes Zelda. Everyone says "Oh, the red bird on the Hylian Shield is Link's bird in Skyward Sword!" But there is already a Hylian Shield in Skyward Sword with the red bird design. EXPLAIN THAT.

Nero18

Halo, it has some interesting aspects but its mostly just a convoluted mess that barely manages to create any sort of excitement.

shoreu

You must have weird friends if they find stuff like that funny. Then again, in general peoples reactions to some stuff seems so alien. Like if they find it weird, okay, but to laugh? That's just... odd.

There really isn't any point to try and explain it. There's a subsection of the people that hate Halo Lore, that typically don't care for explanations or corrections. It's more or less trying to explain it to a brick wall. Or they start to think things are way more complicated then they're. (Besides the fact that the poster your talking to basically just shits on 343i in every Halo thread.)

I'd figure i'd try lol.

The Victorian

Neo Member
I'll add to the people saying the Zelda series, if only because of the stupidity of the "timeline." It was always apparent to me that Nintendo didn't really have any sort of continuity in mind when they made the games; in fact, the clue is right there in the title - The Legend of Zelda, i.e. something passed down throughout the ages, taking a differing form with each telling.

The endless wank about the "timeline" amongst fans was about as pointless as the endless wank about what woman Link ought to end up with (something Zelda fans seem to to enjoy arguing about to a ludicrous degree). Nintendo ought to have ignored them instead of retroactively trying to put the games into some sort of chronological order.

REDSLATE

Yup, it is. People will say you're wrong, but you're not, it's really really bad lore (let alone bad sci fi). I thought it was a one off thing, but Bungie kinda proved they have terrible lore in Destiny as well (and plot, and story but that's for a different topic).

I think you misunderstood him. The novels by Eric Nyland were written when Halo was still under Bungie's wing. They were quite good. He's saying that the story has since been compromised (after Bungie turned the series over to Microsoft). Destiny is an entirely different can of worms.

You're right about people irrationally defending the series though.

DOOM.

It's kinda unfair, because it's so long ago and such a colossal milestone of a game, but still.

I first played the shareware version, no manual or anything. It felt like I was on the moon and shooting demons. Well, actually I was on Mars.

Then later, I played the first one and the second one on a CD pack and at some point the demons had become aliens. I only cared about finding all the secrets on all the levels. At the highest difficulty, enemies respawned. What a great idea. Not.

Reflecting on it, my experience with Destiny is very similar.
Terrible lore as well.

The thing with Kingdom Hearts is that the lore exist before you even play the game.
That's the whole point.
I actually haven't played any of the KH games. My kids have. Over and over.
That's all I have to say on that.

The thing about Zelda is every time I try to think of a Link between the games, something feels amiss.

To me it's like the Final Fantasy games. They don't share lore. They share some elements but they are all independent games.

DOOM.

It's kinda unfair, because it's so long ago and such a colossal milestone of a game, but still.

I first played the shareware version, no manual or anything. It felt like I was on the moon and shooting demons. Well, actually I was on Mars.

You were on a moon and shooting demons. The first episode takes place on Phobos, which is the moon orbiting around Mars. The second episode was Deimos, which is Mar's second moon. Episode 3 takes place in Hell. You never are on the surface of Mars in Doom. Doom II takes place on Earth and Doom 3 takes place on the surface of Mars.

Though Phobos was suppose to be terraformed. Which is why it has an atmosphere. Originally the sky boxes were all black space and with a craterous moon. But John Romero decided to change it, to give the area more colour. So yeah, it doesn't really look like you are on a moon, as there is no Mars visible in the sky.

OmegaDL50

I'd like to add The Elder Scrolls into the mix.

What? Almost every single aspect of Elder Scrolls story and lore is explained well enough in game through narration and the in-game books through the world.

In fact even Daggerfall's multiple endings with different results was even covered by A Warp in the West.

Every major or significant event is covered in some fashion without any overlap or retcons.

If anything lore of the Elder Scrolls series is one thing it does not have a problem.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
What? Almost every single aspect of Elder Scrolls story and lore is explained well enough in game through narration and the in-game books through the world.

In fact even Daggerfall's multiple endings with different results was even covered by A Warp in the West.

Every major or significant event is covered in some fashion without any overlap or retcons.

If anything lore of the Elder Scrolls series is one thing it does not have a problem.
Shouldn't have had the Ministry of Truth crash and destroy my favourite island. Lore ruined.

OmegaDL50

Shouldn't have had the Ministry of Truth crash and destroy my favourite island. Lore ruined.

Point Taken. I still don't get how such a tiny rock not even 50 feet above the ground could do that kind of damage to Vvardenfell, but nothing can be done with that. I mean a large crater is expected sure, but not a full out Volcanic eruption.

Still it's not like Volcano at Red Mountain hasn't erupted before, considering Sun's Death in the 1st Era on the year 668.

So perhaps the island isn't completely uninhabitable after the Volcano stops spewing ash in the next era or so.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Point Taken. I still don't get how such a tiny rock not even 50 feet above the ground could do that kind of damage to Vvardenfell, but nothing can be done with that. I mean a large crater is expected sure, but not a full out Volcanic eruption.

Still it's not like Volcano at Red Mountain hasn't erupted before, considering Sun's Death in the 1st Era on the year 668.

So perhaps the island isn't completely uninhabitable after the Volcano stops spewing ash in the next era or so.
Well, forgive me if some of this is a bit undetailed because it's been a while for me, but I remember the Ministry of Truth first crashing into Vivec (City) and destroying it and somehow causing another eruption of Red Mountain, and we know how well that went last time. Also, the Ministry of Truth wasn't just floating, it was held in place and retained its original momentum. It didn't, like, fall from the sky and make a "ka-plonk" into the sea, heh. It could've been comparable to a meteor strike.

Just to have it noted: Was obviously joking about the lore being ruined; I think most of The Elder Scrolls lore is great, but that bit in particular bumms the shit out of me, especially because I'm one of the Morrowind evangelists.

Anyone mention the FF7 compilation? All those extra games and movies(which are canon) really fucked that game even more than it already was.
I'd say it's as bad as Kingdom Hearts at this point.

The entire Blizzard universe is such a mess now, particularly Warcraft. So convoluted, they're constantly starting things and never finish it off leading to a lot of retcons over the years, etc.

Zelda also comes to mind but that's mostly due to the weird timeline stuff.

The Boat

I'll add to the people saying the Zelda series, if only because of the stupidity of the "timeline." It was always apparent to me that Nintendo didn't really have any sort of continuity in mind when they made the games; in fact, the clue is right there in the title - The Legend of Zelda, i.e. something passed down throughout the ages, taking a differing form with each telling.

The endless wank about the "timeline" amongst fans was about as pointless as the endless wank about what woman Link ought to end up with (something Zelda fans seem to to enjoy arguing about to a ludicrous degree). Nintendo ought to have ignored them instead of retroactively trying to put the games into some sort of chronological order.

Zelda 2 was officially a direct sequel to Zelda 1.
A Link to the Past implied and was promoted as a prequel to the first two.
Ocarina of Time officially occurred before all the other ones.
Majora's Mask was a direct sequel to OoT.
Wind Waker was officially set after OoT.
Phantom Hourglass was a direct sequel to WW.
ST was officially set after PH.
Twilight Princess was officially set after OoT.
Skyward Sword was officially set even before OoT.

The only way one might think Zelda never had a timeline or chronological order is if they haven't been paying attention since the very first sequel.

Beth Cyra

Anyone mention the FF7 compilation? All those extra games and movies(which are canon) really fucked that game even more than it already was.
I'd say it's as bad as Kingdom Hearts at this point.
FF VII's lore is super easy to follow though and not all that complicated.

AC., Dirge, Before, and Crisis all fit relatively well, the only thing that causes issues is the mako reactor scene.

FF VII doesn't have a lot of it but that is really to be expected given the gap but everything else is surprisingly smooth.

OmegaDL50

Well, forgive me if some of this is a bit undetailed because it's been a while for me, but I remember the Ministry of Truth first crashing into Vivec (City) and destroying it and somehow causing another eruption of Red Mountain, and we know how well that went last time. Also, the Ministry of Truth wasn't just floating, it was held in place and retained its original momentum. It didn't, like, fall from the sky and make a "ka-plonk" into the sea, heh. It could've been comparable to a meteor strike.

Just to have it noted: Was obviously joking about the lore being ruined; I think most of The Elder Scrolls lore is great, but that bit in particular bumms the shit out of me, especially because I'm one of the Morrowind evangelists.

I think the stupidest thing is, if Vivec knew the Ministry of Truth stopped at it's original moment. Why instead of turning it into some sort of floating guard house (which is basically what it became), They could have instead broke the thing down via pickaxes or other methods of construction, but looking back I guess Vivec never planned to lose his powers when the Nerevarine took down Dagoth Ur.

REDSLATE

DOOM.

I first played the shareware version, no manual or anything. It felt like I was on the moon and shooting demons. Well, actually I was on Mars...

You were on a moon and shooting demons. The first episode takes place on Phobos, which is the moon orbiting around Mars. The second episode was Deimos, which is Mar's second moon. Episode 3 takes place in Hell. You never are on the surface of Mars in Doom...

^What he said.

Doom actually has an interesting (if limited) story. Most people just didn't realize it because it's all text and interrupted the shooting. The part about looking out and realizing Deimos was no longer orbiting Mars, but was above Hell itself was particularly captivating.

Additionally, there's an entire "Doom Bible" worth of lore.

Top Bottom