• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you couldn't beat as a kid due to you being dumb.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
In Final Fantasy X, I got stuck at Crawler-Negator (a boss roughly in the middle of the game) because I didn't know how to use the Sphere Grid. I was essentially doing a No Sphere Grid run my first playthrough. I ended up using my brother's Gameshark to cheat the rest of the game.

In Kingdom Hearts 1 I got stuck at Cerberus in the Coliseum because I didn't know how to change weapons or equip abilities. So I had been handicapping myself for that entire first third of the game up to that point. My cousin visited from out of town and equipped the Tarzan keyblade for me lol

Any of you have examples or was I the only one here who took the short bus?

In Final Fantasy X, I got stuck at Crawler-Negator (a boss roughly in the middle of the game) because I didn't know how to use the Sphere Grid. I was essentially doing a No Sphere Grid run my first playthrough. I ended up using my brother's Gameshark to cheat the rest of the game.

In Kingdom Hearts 1 I got stuck at Cerberus in the Coliseum because I didn't know how to change weapons or equip abilities. So I had been handicapping myself for that entire first third of the game up to that point. My cousin visited from out of town and equipped the Tarzan keyblade for me lol

Quit making me feel old.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
35758--another-world.png

I beat Baldur's Gate without without speaking any english, with no guide (took me forever) and without translating anything. When the story progressed to BG it was like magic to me.

Back in the day I would get hopelessly stuck on multiple games but I wouldn't quit and I never considered looking for guides.

I was smarter as a kid, I'm dumb now.

Last edited:

Holammer

I mean, I completed Phantasy Star on the Master System back in the days, but it took ungodly amounts of time and I had to draw maps.
When the rom was finally dumped around 1999'ish (a release party to remember btw), I breezed through the game in no time. Now used to the mechanics of RPGs and having the spatial visualization ability of an adult gamer.

I got stuck in Dust Man's stage in Mega Man 4 and one of my aunts who doesn't even play video games showed me how to progress. Looking back I have absolutely no idea how I got stuck lol

I also never got past level 2 or 3 of the Mission Impossible game for the NES, I was completely stumped and had no idea where to go. I've been meaning to go back and play it again to see how far I can get now.

SeraphJan

I can't beat Resident Evil 1 on PS1 due to being both dumb and coward when I was kid, I have to give up after being scared shitless

TexMex

How about games I couldn't beat as a kid because I was dumb and cannot beat as a grown-ass man because now I'm dumber? Tomba 1 would be one of them.

Honestly this is where I was at with my FF7 post but was too ashamed so I left it at that. Thank you for making me feel safe brother.

Elysion

Banned
Vagrant Story‘s abstruse stats and weapon system. To be honest, I‘m not entirely sure if I‘d be able to come to grips with it even today, lol.

Also, everything with tank controls (old school Resident Evil, Tomb Raider etc.). Even back then I just couldn’t deal with it; to this day I have no idea how others ever managed to control their characters in these games. Totally unplayable for me.

More time has passed from Kingdom Hearts' release to now than the time that passed between Kingdom Hearts' release and the original Super Mario Brothers.

Yeah, it’s hard to wrap my head around the fact that 6th gen was so long ago. Even though that generation (PS2/GC/XBox) totally belongs into the ‚retro’ category at this point, it still doesn’t really feel that way to me for some reason. Hell, we‘re almost at the point that PS3/360 could be categorized as ‚retro‘, and I‘m definitely not ready for that, lol.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Diablo. No way I could make a half-decent build.

Probably shouldn't have been playing that tho, the Butcher almost makes me shit myself.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never mind being a kid. I was a total retard as an adult.

When I played Mass Effect 1 on 360, I think you start the game with a pistol or shitty rifle. I got through some of the game and then got to a building which was tough with a slew of enemies. Kept getting killed. There was this staircase part too where I kept getting killed. These enemies must have tons of hit points.

Turns out I messed up equipping my guy and I was using some crappy powered weapon for hours. I then equipped an assault rifle and mowed them down.

Lokaum D+

None, even without knowing english back on the days, to be honest, games like ff7, bof 3/4 and many others are the reason that i can write u guys this message, in Brazil games started to be localized to portuguese a few years ago.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I had a nes my mom got for me from a garage sale with the original (US) Metal Gear. I could not get past that first level for the life of me.

Aesius

As a little kid, I always played The Legend of Zelda on NES with my older brother. During the summers we would have a babysitter while my parents were at work. I remember one day my brother was off at camp or something and I was alone with the babysitter and playing Zelda in my room. I was maybe 4 years old at the time, and I couldn't remember how to buy items from the merchants.

I got so frustrated and eventually went out into the living room to ask the babysitter how to do it, who of course had no clue. This was SHOCKING to me because it was the first time in my life a "grown-up" didn't know the answer to something. I couldn't even wrap my head around the fact that she didn't know how to do it either.

Looking back, I think I got confused because I expected there to be a menu ala Dragon Warrior, which was another RPG I played at a super early age.

dcmk7

Banned
I always wonder whether I could beat Bart Vs The Space Mutants if I were to revisit it.

That stupid shopping mall with some insanely difficult jumps got me every single time.

Batman The Movie (Amiga 500)
Crazy Seasons (Amiga 500)

Especially f*** Crazy Seasons. Kids game in disguise. How is a Kid able to finish the Winter season without help??

Last edited:
Ghost n goblins
Earth world jim

From playstation/ n64 so on i was ok. I even finish full japanese games lol. Like xenogears, silver lunar story… etc

Maybe mames are wrong, thats more than 25 years ago

Last edited:

skit_data

The thread title should be the opposite:

Which games did you beat as a kid because you were so stupid that you tried pretty much every concievable thing that made little to no sense to finally find the extremely far fetched and illogical way to progress?

Shifty1897

In Wild Arms 1 I couldn't figure out where to go next, I don't remember exactly where I was stuck.
In Vagrant Story I couldn't figure out the battle system and was never able to deal much damage as a result.

I started both games over on Vita 15 years later and beat them.

Aesius

The thread title should be the opposite:

Which games did you beat as a kid because you were so stupid that you tried pretty much every concievable thing that made little to no sense to finally find the extremely far fetched and illogical way to progress?
I randomly guessed a correct password for Gargoyle's Quest on Game Boy as a kid.

At least, that's how I remember it. They are eight digits and include letters and numbers, so it seems impossible. But I'm 99% sure it happened out of sheer dumb luck.

Dream-Knife

Banned
2ospbf0.jpg

To get to the final boss you need both a Nintendo coin and a Rareware coin. To get the Rareware coin you just have to beat Jetpack, which is a fun old NES game. To get the Nintendo coin, you need to beat the original Donkey Kong game twice. I can't beat Donkey Kong once. Even tried a few years ago.

Last edited:

TexMex

2ospbf0.jpg

To get to the final boss you need both a Nintendo coin and a Rareware coin. To get the Rareware coin you just have to beat Jetpack, which is a fun old NES game. To get the Nintendo coin, you need to beat the original Donkey Kong game twice. I can't beat Donkey Kong once. Even tried a few years ago.

Is this real? Wtf

Goalus

Captain Silver on the Sega Master System.
It took me and my brother several years to beat this guy:
CaptainSilver-SMS-US-BananaKing.jpg

After we finally managed that, we were greeted by this guy at the end of the final stage:
CaptainSilver-SMS-US-GhostOfCaptainSilver.jpg

I haven't beaten him to this day because I refuse to use quick saves that weren't part of the original game.

Also on the SMS, I never managed to finish Ultima 4 because I was not humble enough. I had seven "eighths", the 3-part key and had found the entrance to the Great Stygian Abyss, but humility was always missing in my collection of eighths.

Goalus

Sabre Wulf. I didn’t have a clue what I was doing. Tbh, I could say that for most Speccy games.
I played it for the first time in 2015 via Rare Replay.
Got absolutely destroyed.
Whoever is able to play that game without dying within a few minutes has my utmost respect.

When I was 7-8 I couldn't beat Zelda Majora's mask on N64.

I couldn't beat donkey Kong 64 because of that damn donkey Kong arcade game which was harder than the original arcade game lol. Had to come back to the game as an adult 😅

fart town usa

Gold Member

I got stuck in KH1 and I was like 26 at the time. This was like 2011.

Last thing I remember was running around some trees in Alice in Wonderland. Could not figure out for the life of me where to go. Never went back to it.

Top Bottom